Crash Course Economics by John?

AdniAdni Posts: 19
Is anyone else out there like me, wishing they knew half of what John is talking about when he talks about the economy? While he's mentioned economic terms in a number of videos, I think it would be really helpful to have a centralized place of reference in nerdfighteria, namely Crash Course. And he's obviously incredibily qualified to teach economics, as he has discussed numerous times. ;)

Comments

  • Gmmaster42Gmmaster42 Posts: 21
    This needs to happen!
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    This needs to happen!
    Yes, it needs to happen! :D

    I'm so excited about the possibility of this happening! Remember that time John made a video about the US Debt Crisis? That video was posted on the morning of my Economics 'O' Levels exam, right before I left my house in order to get to school on time. And it wasn't even a coincidence. I had tweeted John the night before and said "Why is economics so difficult?" and asked him about the topic. He replied by saying he would make a video about it. :D That was a great day! :)

    *does nerdfighter sign*
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

    "When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • leediana0311leediana0311 Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited December 2012
    @randomradiation Totally agreed! I'm in a debate team and I find topics about economy very challenging, since I don't know much about it and I don't know where to start!
    I think CrashCourse: Economy would be a great idea! It doesn't even have to be an entire series - I think it could a CrashCourse mini-series. :D.
    by leediana0311
     Haec credam a deo pio? A deo iusto? A deo scito? Cruciatus in crucem! Tuus in terra servus nuntius fui officium perfeci. Cruciatus in crucem. Eas in crucem! You get Hoynes!
  • jml21000jml21000 Posts: 19
    I'd love this, it seems like John knows quite a bit and has good insights
  • JayeOFarrellJayeOFarrell Posts: 35
    Need to happen now!
    “Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
    ― Vincent van Gogh
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    The more I think about it, the more I think that CC: Economics would be awesome. But Economics has A LOT of content. I'm only studying the basics at the high school level and yet there's so much left to learn.

    imho, it should be a full series.
    Another issue is that not many people are interested in economics concepts, so it may be hard to get funding...
    Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

    "When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • MacNastyMacNasty Posts: 113 ✭✭
    A bit of a problem would be the different ways of looking at economics. Two different ways (currently the only two that I know of, but I'm not the most well versed) of looking at economics would be either Austrian or Keynesian, so which way would he teach it? Or just neither and examine the bare facts?
  • I can imagine John being Keynesian, which might slant it a bit, though who knows? Regardless, it'd be awesome!
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,886 ✭✭✭
    This probably would be a good idea but currently lies beyond the frontiers of a production possibility curve.

    We might demand it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that our unlimited demands may be met with supply. Currently, market failure exists.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

    I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    I think its an wonderful idea, but the topic is very broad.I think is would be quite useful that people know how taxes work and what loans and especially that free money does not exist, since that got us in a bit of a crisis, because some people do not really realize that everything you buy costs money and you have to pay it back.

    By teaching people about that and about how to plan stuff and how economy works and how to run a financial healthy lifestyle maybe more people are prepared of the next economical crisis or survive the current one.


  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,886 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    romy16 said:
    By teaching people about that and about how to plan stuff and how economy works and how to run a financial healthy lifestyle maybe more people are prepared of the next economical crisis or survive the current one.

    Are you confusing "economics" with "budgeting"? Economics is "economie" not "huishoudkunde"

    by Rollo
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

    I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • RichardxLuRichardxLu Charlotte, NCPosts: 16
    Adni said:
    Is anyone else out there like me, wishing they knew half of what John is talking about when he talks about the economy? While he's mentioned economic terms in a number of videos, I think it would be really helpful to have a centralized place of reference in nerdfighteria, namely Crash Course. And he's obviously incredibily qualified to teach economics, as he has discussed numerous times. ;)
    Um. Yes
    DFTBA

    Richard Lu
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Western United States Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    MacNasty said:
    A bit of a problem would be the different ways of looking at economics. Two different ways (currently the only two that I know of, but I'm not the most well versed) of looking at economics would be either Austrian or Keynesian, so which way would he teach it? Or just neither and examine the bare facts?
    There are many school of economics. The Chicago/Freshwater School (one prominent economists from this category is Milton Friedman) is among them. 
    We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.


  • spotlightonCatspotlightonCat Los Angeles, CaliforniaPosts: 4
    Yes!! Crash course economics, please!
  • WilskaWilska Adelaide, AustraliaPosts: 43 ✭✭
    WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN!
  • ThePeppThePepp Milan, ItalyPosts: 7
    It needs to happen!!!
  • McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    It was recently suggested on his subreddit that it should be Crash Course Economics with CGPGrey.  I like that idea and seeing as how John is in the middle of World History, it could be quite sometime before he gets around to it.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,886 ✭✭✭
    McEsteban said:
    It was recently suggested on his subreddit that it should be Crash Course Economics with CGPGrey.  I like that idea and seeing as how John is in the middle of World History, it could be quite sometime before he gets around to it.
    Grey was/is/might again be a Physics teacher. Given that Grey is notoriously slow at producing things, would he want to?

    The Brady vs Grey count currently stands at 13 - http://brady-vs-grey.appspot.com/
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

    I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • RhidianRhidian Nottingham, EnglandPosts: 7
    I think this is a genius and masterful plan with no possible flaws!
Sign In or Register to comment.