Dance-like Things (Ballet, Cheerleading, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, etc.)

MorganMorgan Posts: 44
I'm curious as to the population of dancey Nerdfighters. It's sort-of a not very nerdfighterlike thing to do, but I'm sure there are some around somewhere! . I'm not so sure about cheerleading, though. It's almost the polar opposite of what you expect nerds to be into.

I take ballet and a jazz class. I also cheerlead. Quite frankly, those things are, like, my life. If I'm not on YouTube or reading, I'm dancing. 

Comments

• AislinnAislinn Posts: 42
    I haven't danced as much since I finished college, but I have danced since I was little. In high school I did ballet, lyrical, jazz, and tap. It really is a way of life! I miss it a ton, but there aren't really any dance groups near me that I could join. :/
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭
     I was just about make a ballet thread, and then I found this. I started ballet in January, and I really enjoy it. It's just so unlike everything else I do (like school, and the typical nerdy reading), and it just makes me feel really good about myself. I don't think it's entirely un-nerdfighter-y, as one of the main IRL nerdfighters I  know dances (both ballet and tap), and was the one that convinced me to give ballet a try, and also I've seen other people refer to ballet in passing on here. Hi!
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• MorganMorgan Posts: 44
    I love ballet. It takes a bit of work, but it feels really good to know you're part of a thing that's been around for hundreds of years. Not to mention, I've made a ton of (not vert nerdy, but still brilliant) friends through dance. I feel a whole lot prettier when I dance- makes seeing that little bump at the waist where the tights go seem a lot less important.
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    @Morgan: Yes, exactly. It helps me feel a lot more like a real girl, if you get my drift. 
    by Vicki
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

Alleviates some of the anxiety. I mean, I'm still tripping over my own feet, but at least I do it somewhat gracefully. I feel like because I dance, I'm most comfortable with pretty posture and pointed feet than I am all slouchy and gross-looking.
  • mischiefsortamanagedmischiefsortamanaged Georgia, USAPosts: 19
    I haven't been dancing long. I take it as a part of the magnet program at school. I'm a dance minor. I started dancing at the beginning of freshman year. As a part of the curriculum at school, I take ballet, jazz/musical theatre, modern, and then every other Friday is a specialty day (yoga, conditioning, tap, anatomy, desperately fix the choreography because we have a concert in two weeks and it's a hot mess, etc.)
  • iSamQuickiSamQuick Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    I'm a dancer :D I go to a drama school, so I do jazz, ballet, tap, and hip-hop :)

I don think its a non nerdfightery thing to do, I think it's awesome ;)
  • KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    I love love love watching ballet and jazz dancing but I am terrible at it !!
  • MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭

I've never really had any "formal" dance classes or lessons, although I've been doing various kinds of fire dancing for about 3 years now (off and on) and have sat in on a few short classes and lessons from teachers at the local circus school, juggling club, and regional flow arts festivals. These days, I mostly do double club or double torch, but I started with staff and fire breathing. It's not like a "pure dance" I suppose, it's more of a kind of object manipulation, but I have done large choreographed pieces and worked with people who had extensive ballet experience.

"The only way out is through." -Frost
    Well, aren't I just great at keeping up with threads?

@mischiefsortamanaged That is so. Cool. I've always had this dream where I'd go off to a boarding school for dancers (like Interlochen), but that hasn't happened. It's pretty awesome that your school has a magnet program, though!

@iSamQuick You got that right. Us dancer folk are the best kind of people, when we're not auditioning. I actually have a friend who does musical theatre, and I've been trying to get him to take ballet for aaaages. He's bent on the doctrine that taking jazz, tap, and ballroom is enough. :/

@Metabeard I don't even know where someone would go to learn fire dancing. That's just

~mind blown~
    @Morgan
    It's a long story of friends and changing hands in different scenes until I ended up in the Burning Man scene. If you were interested in it, send me a PM and I could probably direct you towards your local fire community or circus school. It's actually been a rapidly growing scene in the past few years, which is cool, but has also seen a lot of people not learning proper safety. Before I ever tried fire performing, I was a fire safety for a few years making sure none of my friends set themselves on fire, haha.

This is the submission video I made of a routine I put together for a festival over the summer. I think there's a video of the actual performance on fire floating around on the internet somewhere.

Anyone else have videos of themselves performing? I'd love to see what you all can do!
  • meggethmeggeth Posts: 9
    Gymnastics? Am I even in the right place?
     Embrace what you love. Don’t feel like you should give up a habit because somebody has passed negative judgement on it. If you love knitting and gossiping, do that. If you love writing letters and running, continue to do that.

If you do some kind of choreography to music, I think that counts as dance, eh?

I love gymnastics. I wish I had the opportunity to do it as a kid, but they recently ins tally a pair of rings in my gym, and I'm all about them! What kind of gymnastics do you do?
  • I've never found other nerdfighter cheerleaders before! I've done cheer for 6 years and danced for as long as I can remember but I agree @Morgan, the popular image of cheerleaders and nerdfighters don't exactly mesh haha. they have loads in common though if you know the sport - working with others,  trying to inspire people and spread smiles. :)
  • katnisskittkatnisskitt Kitchener Ontario, CanadaPosts: 74
    I actually am a CHEERLEADER :)) I cheer for an organization called the "cheer sport sharks" and it's super cool because each team is named after a different type of shark. I used to dance when I was about 3 but then I stopped when I was maybe 6 so I don't really have a lot of dance memories. I also used to do gymnastics for a while probably about 5 years but then I stopped and joined cheerleading. I love the environment and teamwork cheer has and they encourage you to try your hardest for everything. I've been in cheer for 5 years and I want to keep doing it. Cheerleading is my life <3 :)
  • makeitagoodonemakeitagoodone 221B Baker St., Camelot, Narnia, GallifreyPosts: 123 ✭✭
    meggeth said:
    Gymnastics? Am I even in the right place?
    Maybe? No? I did Acrosport Gymnastics in high school.. I really miss it!
    “Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.”
    - Tim Burton
  • crazypenguincrazypenguin SerbiaPosts: 22
    +1 dancer here. :) I do Irish dance, though I'd love to learn another form soon.

I have discovered dance relatively late in my life, but I still enjoy it thoroughly. ^^ I honestly don't know what I would do with myself now if I didn't have dance...
    Oscail an doras don tailleir fhidhleir 
    Oscail an doras don fhidhleir tailleir 
    Oscail an doras don tailleir fhidhleir 
    Firrinneri fhidhleir tailleir
  • KenKorcakKenKorcak Posts: 1
    I'm an avid dancer. I currently do east coast swing and blues. I also know a little balboa and shag. I am planning on learning west coast swing soon.