Crash Course Topic Ideas!

RubyRuby Posts: 8
Anybody have any topic ideas? I really want:
Hank - Physics or chemistry
John - Literature 

Comments

• LeptonMadnessLeptonMadness Posts: 30 ✭✭
    @Caroline_DFTBA YES YES YES ALL OF THE MATH!!!

But seriously, math is so wonderful, especially when viewed from the lens of "what IS this?" Rather than "what is this for?"
    --
    DFTBA
  • Math. Definitely math. @LeptonMadness I like the "what IS this?" lens, too.
  • LeptonMadnessLeptonMadness Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Also, @mollyconcetta @Caroline_DFTBA, do you know what's SUPER interesting? History of mathematics. That stuff will blow your mind.
    --
    DFTBA
  • Caroline_DFTBACaroline_DFTBA Posts: 41 ✭✭
    @Caroline_DFTBA YES YES YES ALL OF THE MATH!!!

But seriously, math is so wonderful, especially when viewed from the lens of "what IS this?" Rather than "what is this for?"
    I totally get that- that is why I love Vihart so much. I still don't get why we learn stuff like 2+2=4 so we can just solve for x when we have 2+x=4 or something along those lines. Of course, the math in school does get much more complicated, but I like the cool math that actually does stuff besides adding, subtracting, etc
    ~says the nerdfighter-hipster-scene-kid-who-actually-has-a-heart~
  • Caroline_DFTBACaroline_DFTBA Posts: 41 ✭✭
    OH OH OH IDEA who could we get to do a computer sciences/ web tech/ programming/ internet etc crash course?! that would be awesome
    ~says the nerdfighter-hipster-scene-kid-who-actually-has-a-heart~
  • AlexAlex DCPosts: 178 ✭✭✭
    What would you teach in a comp sci crash course?
    The British Non-Tea Drinking Society (American branch) - All of the awesome, none of the tea.
  • OliverHartOliverHart Posts: 17
    I'd REALLY enjoy John doing a course on western philosophy.
  • @Cleodel Countries of the World sounds like an awesome idea. It could branch across so many things. That might even be an awesome thing to do with a different Nerdfighter each time. Nerdfighters across the globe could submit mock episodes and the Greens could pick the top 40 or however many and work with the submitters to develop a script or whatnot and produce CC level quality videos. Nerdfighters of course would not need to be limited to their native country but one that they are very knowledgeable of and enthusiastic about teaching across Nerdfighteria. That would be awesome.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253
  • CleodelCleodel Posts: 44 ✭✭
    @thisjackolantern

That would be amazing, just amazing.
    |  tumblr  |   zazzle   |  deviantart  |
  • AlineAline Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    I would love a more advanced Biochem course. I know Crash Course is not supposed to be much advanced... It's just sometimes I wish Hank were my teacher, 'cause Biochem drives me crazy!
    :((
    Aline
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    @Aline
    I've been wishing for CrashCourse Organic Chemistry a LOT this semester. I think Hank would be awesome at it. I know that they pitched it to be advanced high school level as a curriculum supplement for public schools, so that might not happen, but I'd be VERY happy if it did.
  • 2355323553 Posts: 23
    Alex said:
    What would you teach in a comp sci crash course?
    There's a ton of things. The topics covered by American Computer Science League contests give good examples: http://www.acsl.org/acsl/12-13/Categories.htm
  • ziskaziska Posts: 3
    I would like a Crash Course Economy. You always know a little bit about this stuff but never the whole story.... so this would be pretty interesting I think.
  • writtenwisheswrittenwishes College Dorm RoomPosts: 3,078 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a Crash Course in Psychology or Writing (English)?
  • waiehsewaiehse Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I'd love a Crash Course World Religions because of how vast, interesting, and relevant in today's culture it is. 
    But I also understand why this may not be an option because people may get a bit riled up discussing it in comments. 

I agree with all the people above, Math would be great, especially tackling hard concepts instead of all the "fun math" that's popular on YouTube. Don't get me wrong I love fun math but there's still a need for a good education hard math channel. And if that's just too boring, physics would be great too.
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I think they might be doing AP courses. If so, I think it might be interesting to see Psychology, Human Geography or Economics from John. On the science/math side, I think Hank will pretty inevitably end up doing Physics.
  • missn91missn91 Posts: 47
    Yeah, art history would be great!!! Maybe geography? 

"The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭
    I know CGPGrey has done a couple on this sort of thing, but some sort of basic politics type overview would be amazing.  Being not american doesn't help, but the difference between the senate and the other house is something I've never understood, nor the origins of the major political parties. Or economics, as again, it's something lots of people talk about without much understanding. And coming from my perspective, something on International Development would be amazing, although I know that's beyond highly unlikely. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• IronAnimationIronAnimation Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Crash Course so far is doing AP courses, aside from Physics(both?) I hope Hank or someone(...CGPGrey?) might teach CompSci. He wouldn't even need his face,although that would probably help. It would have to be Java as that is what the AP exam would cover. The show works assuming you have no prior knowledge, so idk how they would pull off calculus.
    23553 They have a specific curriculum for the exam, so i dont think that would be too much of a problem.
    by IronAnimation
    Have a pleasant day
  • KarisKaris Posts: 1
    I really really REALLY want John to do philosophy. I am interested in it but was really turned off by a bad college professor. I think John would do an excellent job, and I really do want to learn.
  • im1000applesim1000apples Posts: 16
    missn91 said:
    Yeah, art history would be great!!! Maybe geography? 
    The geog major in me really wants this to happen. Geography is so interesting! There's so many sides and angles to cover it aaaaa it's crazy
  • TheaGreveTheaGreve Posts: 5
    Art history and philosophy would be great! And that countries in the world sounds awesome too. Culture, geography, language and history of a different country each time. :)
    "I take a very big pride in not knowing what is cool"
  • Crash Course Physics!
  • sonicscrewdriver42sonicscrewdriver42 Nerdfighteria IslandPosts: 32
    I would want john to talk about philosophy, and I would want hank to talk about coding.
  • Magicarp_PowerMagicarp_Power Posts: 12
    I wouldn't mind if they did subjects not usually taught in high school, such as astronomy or linguistics. Its great that they are doing courses that are covered on the AP tests, but I do think its important to cover topics that students will not come into contact with until college, as it helps students to know what they are interested in. 
  • shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    What about Crash Course Theology, maybe just the three Abrahamic faiths, we can look at where they are the same and where they are different. From what I've been lead to think they're pretty narrative, so that should make things easier and if I remember correctly John majored in Theology.

However the comments section would be a dangerous place... 
  • AppleyNOAppleyNO Posts: 11
    I'v noticed that whatever classes I'm taking are = what I want to see Crash Course cover.

I think Physics should be a logical step for Hank after Chemistry. After that I feel like an Astronomy or other space related course should be done. Because space!

John should either expand his literature course, do a philosophy course, or do an economics course. These are subjects I'm not strong on, so having John explain it would be awesome.

We should do all the subjects!

The Stump is easily the most overpowered role in Sc2mafia.
  • TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    To sum up: all of the things!