Crash Course Topic Ideas!

2»

Comments

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭✭
    missn91 said:
    Yeah, art history would be great!!! Maybe geography? 
    The geog major in me really wants this to happen. Geography is so interesting! There's so many sides and angles to cover it aaaaa it's crazy
    Geography is like the best thing ever. Thing is, geography is so diverse (and sometimes overlaps with other things - I was recommended part of world history for AS Geography last year), what would you cover?
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• romy16romy16 The Netherlands Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭
    that sounds interesting

but i would love to see crash course Economics or finance because that also can be quite usefull

• Crash Course Physics!
    I hope Hank does this after Psychology. There aren't any really good physics channels out there besides minutephysics and SixtySymbols.
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Allow me to dream

Here's 25 Crash course economics subejcts for a start - (if I were a teacher, I'd find this useful)

1. The Basic Economic Question
    2. Production Possibility Curves
    3. Opportunity Cost
    4. The Demand Curve - or why I want more cheap ice cream
    5. Demand Elasticity
    6. The Supply Curve - or why we don't want to sell more cheap ice cream
    7. Supply Elasticity
    8. How The Market Works - Prices
    9. Market Failures, Price Floors
    10. The Five Sector Economy - Consumers & Firms & Consumer Spending
    11. The Five Sector Economy - Banks, Savings & Investment
    12. The Five Sector Economy - Government, Taxation & Government Spending
    13. The Five Sector Economy - Overseas, Imports & Exports
    14. Gross Domestic Product
    15. The Inflation - Unemployment Trade Off
    16. The Money Supply and Monetary Policy
    17. Fiscal Policy
    18. The Federal Budget and Government Debt
    19. Business Cycles
    20. The Role of Government
    21. Kinds of Government and Economic Systems
    22. The Balance of Trade and Balance of Payments
    23. Barriers to International Trade
    24. Benefits of International Trade, Comparative and Absolute Advantage
    25. Foreign Currency Markets

"I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • dont_panic_42dont_panic_42 Posts: 3
    I would really like if John did famous books, and or, Shakespeare. Also Hank should do mythology and legends from different cultures
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    CRASH COURSE FOOTBALL HISTORY!

The development of the game and the beginning of the Football Association
    The FA Cup
    The 1888-89 PNE 'invincibles'
    Exporting the game to other countries
    The Move from dribbling to passing
    The move from 1-8-1, to 2-6-2 and finally "modern" formations
    The World Cup
    The Magic Magyars
    The Rise of Brazil
    Real Madrid dominating European football
    The rise of Bayern Munich
    Total Football
    Liverpool and The Boot Room
    The European Cup and Heysel
    The development of Television
    The European Champions League
    Pay TV and loadsa money
    The spread of football to Africa and Asia
    The USA, the unconquered land
    The Minnows
    Why is Gary Lineaker the greatest player who ever lived?
    The fans buy back their clubs
    The reemergence of Spain, tiki-taka and Germany

There's 23 of 46 headers for Episodes.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • Maxx_ToronMaxx_Toron Baltimore, MDPosts: 120 ✭✭
    Philosophy. *begins meditating and floats into the air*
  • NostalgicOracleNostalgicOracle Tucson, ArizonaPosts: 17
    Definately philosophy, but not just western philosophy.

Willfully idiotic, as if it were an act in a play.

• Maxx_ToronMaxx_Toron Baltimore, MDPosts: 120 ✭✭
    Definately philosophy, but not just western philosophy.

Heh. I remember this. I put that up the summer before I took a philosophy class (I actually feel kind of dumb for making the *levitates* comment now). I definitely would still love a Crash Course Philosophy, especially one that deals some with Eastern philosophy. My class was a Western Philosophy class, but I studied Hindu philosophy some on my own, and I love its ideas about how energy flows through the universe. 
  • The-Artist-IncognitoThe-Artist-Incognito Hogwarts...always hogwarts Posts: 12
    I'd love to see a crash course on Calculus or applied mathematics - I think it would be really help for the people who struggle in that area.
    "The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ShereitoShereito Posts: 1
    I really Enjoyed World History, and US History. I wouldn't mind seeing the history of somewhere besides the US as a segment also. I would totally watch Crash Course Art History, or Crash Course Egypt, Rome, Africa, or Canadian History since Thought Bubble/Thought Cafe is Canadian I think that could be presented well, Or some history from a more Eastern angle, learn more about The Axis Power's side of history instead of just the Allied Powers. Crash Course: Ancient Japan/China/etc
    Another thing I would like to see is a crash course about Mythology, or Religion even though I figure religion could get controversial in comments, I would love to learn more about it, even if from an anthropological or sociological point of view. 
    I would also definitely watch Crash Course Philosophy, Especially if it had variety and was not just focused on western Philosophy, but Philosophy all over the world. 
  • ZingeliciousZingelicious Posts: 1
    Hank and John,

If you read this, I'd just like to say thank you for helping to make the world more awesome.

If you ever got the chance, and it seemed like a good idea, could you please make a Crash Course video on semicolons, and the proper use of them? I'm also curious about your opinion on the semicolon, as many people have varying opinions.

Thank you,
    Nerdfighter Zing
  • littlewonderlittlewonder Nisshin, JapanPosts: 19
    I definitely agree with Geography, as I grew up with Carmen Sandiego, but the Crash Course I want most is Palaeontology, or the study of ancient creatures and environments. You know, it also involves Geology and changes in the world's environments, but what I really find fascinating about it is that it shows the alienness of our planet's ancient past, and teaches us the surprising origins of certain creatures and how they evolved into what we know today.

I just really think they need to bring someone on to do it.
  • Wyld_IceWyld_Ice Brisbane, QLD, AustraliaPosts: 7
    I appreciate that Crash Course is an American based show hence the US history and politics courses, but I think it would be great if you could do some country based courses as well. For example, Australia (where I'm from) - history, politics, flora/fauna, indigenous peoples, etc. and this could also be done for eg Canada, New Zealand, Scotland, African nations, Italy, etc. and maybe you could use people from those countries to host them? It would be amazing insight into each countries unique histories and idiosyncrasies.
    Never ever let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them for they have no imagination. The sky's the limit. Your sky, your limit. Now, lets dance.
       - Tom Hiddleston
  • THE_MONGOLSTHE_MONGOLS KING OF EVERYTHING ULANBAATARPosts: 324 ✭✭✭
    CRASH COURSE: DEATH

WE DO DEATH VERY WELL.
    NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!
    https://twitter.com/TheMongols_

• WholockAtHogwartsWholockAtHogwarts Denver, ColoradoPosts: 1
    STORY TIME!
    So this morning, my friend was trying to do some social studies homework on the great depression. He complained about how borning the text book was, and how he practically fell asleep reading it. THEN he said, "Ya know what? I wish Crash Curse made a textbook. Then at least I would want to read it!"

I thought a lot about this, and I realize, Hank, John, or anyone else from Crash Course will for SURE not see it, but maybe it could spark an idea in another nerdfighter who may see this, or maybe people at CC WILL see this if you guys help me show the power of nerdfighteria! Help me get this idea to the Green's!!
  • THE_MONGOLSTHE_MONGOLS KING OF EVERYTHING ULANBAATARPosts: 324 ✭✭✭

I know it would get a lot of hate on YouTube, but a world religions class would be really interesting.

BEST RELIGION? BEST RACE?

WE GOT THIS.

NOBODY STARTS A LAND WAR IN ASIA AND WINS UNLESS YOU ARE... WAIT FOR IT... THE MONGOLS!
    WE'RE THE EXCEPTION!
    https://twitter.com/TheMongols_

• Bastrd87Bastrd87 Posts: 1
    I really want crash course math to be a thing. Cover the development of mathematics over time, the problems that mathematicians were faced with and the solutions that they came up with.
  • davi4209davi4209 Posts: 4
    The brazilian rubber boom
    World War I fun facts(like the soccer party in Christmas)
  • lumbahjackilumbahjacki New Orleans, Louisiana (also my pants)Posts: 5
    I seriously want a Crash Course Genetics cause Genetics fascinate me but I'm not very good at science so I NEED HALP!
  • centauriecentaurie BelgiumPosts: 48

STORY TIME!
    So this morning, my friend was trying to do some social studies homework on the great depression. He complained about how borning the text book was, and how he practically fell asleep reading it. THEN he said, "Ya know what? I wish Crash Curse made a textbook. Then at least I would want to read it!"

I thought a lot about this, and I realize, Hank, John, or anyone else from Crash Course will for SURE not see it, but maybe it could spark an idea in another nerdfighter who may see this, or maybe people at CC WILL see this if you guys help me show the power of nerdfighteria! Help me get this idea to the Green's!!

I know this is 6 months late but they are indeed doing a "textbook". (announced on the Vlogbrothers Q&A during Vidcon about a month ago, can be watched on the livestream archived at the Vidcon-youtube page!)
  • The guys at thought cafe (thought bubble) could do a crash course graphic design, which would be awesome. John should also do a crash course on creative writing.
    "We sat, on the edge of darkness, watching the light."
  • jbaldwin26jbaldwin26 Middleburg, VAPosts: 1
    Hey! So, I was thinking about the subjects that you cover on Crash Course, but I haven't seen anything relating to Music. Specifically, Music History. I think it would be a useful topic to cover because there aren't really classes in Music History that you can take without spending $1000+ per credit at a Conservatory.

All cultures are musical in nature, and throughout history, there has always been music. I think the flair, entertaining spirit, and educational power of Crash Course would do very well.
  • jenhurlerjenhurler CT, USAPosts: 9
    edited February 28
    I think a crash course on personal finance would be really beneficial. Though they should also cover that on the revival of How To Adult...
    And The Financial Diet also helps in that area.
    But I don't really think that's a topic that would even make sense in the crash course universe.
    by jenhurler
  • jenhurlerjenhurler CT, USAPosts: 9
    I love that they did Crash Course Games and am so, so happy they announced CC Film History. I'd want them to also do CC Animation, as that's what I'm trying to do on my channel. :neutral:
  • RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    As much as I appreciate their academic video topics like philosophy and sociology, I kind of wish they would tackle a more practical subject. Like for example how to make money using YouTube since they do it regularly and have such a large following. I found a pretty good article about it here, but the way John and Hank present it is always a lot easier to follow. Another good topic would be basic accounting, business planning, something along those lines.