Language Exchange, anyone?

Hello, Salut, 你好. नमस्ते! I was wondering if there are any other Nerdfighters who'd be interested in setting up a language exchange. The idea of a language exchange is that someone who speaks a language fluently offers help, correspondance or just practice to someone who's learning their language, and the second person does the same, with a different language, for the first person. This would be a fun thing to do, and it can be a good way for international Nerdfighters to get to know each other. I'm all boring and American, so my only native-level language is English. I'm pretty competent with French, am studying German, and would be open to learn anything else! If anyone else is interested, just post on the thread below. Kiitos, danke schön, どうも, and thanks!

Comments

• This sounds great to me! I have taken 5 years of french and i would love to correspond with someone who would correct me!! :)
    some things you do for money, and some you do for fun, but the things you do for love are gonna come back to you one by one.
  • poppylovepoppylove Posts: 52
    I love this idea. I studied French for 4.5 years, and am currently studying Hindi. I would love to practice with a native speaker of either of these languages. Of course, I'd reciprocate with English :)
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche 

• AccioGuitarAccioGuitar Posts: 1
    I'd love to participate, as well. I'm currently trying to learn the basics of Dutch and desperately need someone to practice it with. I speak English and would be willing to help (though I think most of the people here speak English, so it's not exactly something special). I also speak a tiny bit of Bahasa Indonesia and I've always got my mom, who is a native speaker of it, to help me on areas I'm not fluent in, so I guess I've got that going for me.
  • This idea is really cool, and I think would be really useful for anyone trying to learn a new language - I've been taking French for about 5, nearly 6 years, and as a native English speaker would love some help with it :D 
    Hello, hope you're having a nice day :D
  • celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭
    Hey, I would love to do this! I only speak English fluently, Japanese at an intermediate level, and Chinese, Korean and German at beginner levels. I used to speak some Spanish, but it is very rusty right now.
  • YavianiceYavianice Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    I'm a native Dutch speaker and was also a beginners/intermediate Dutch teacher at my student organisation for a year. So if anyone wants to learn that, let me know. I also know German and English.

I have also learned Japanese but that was a beginners course during my exchange. Too bad though, Japanese seems awesome.

I'd like to rekindle my Spanish (very rusty) and, most of all, Estonian. I love Estonian, but the grammar is so hard! I'm very beginner level, but a huge fan.

by Yavianice
    Skype name: Yavianice

Of course I want to talk, what are you waiting for? I won't bite (usually) :)
  • Ph0ebePh0ebe Posts: 20
    This is a brilliant idea!

My native language is English, and I'm currently studying French and Spanish for A Level (although I'm way better at Spanish)...it would be awesome to have someone to practice with :D
  • LinneamLinneam Stereotypical Small Town, USAPosts: 91 ✭✭
    I would love to be part of this as well. 
    I'm unfortunately only fluent in English, but I have been taking Spanish for years and would love to get better at it. :) 
     It’s like something inside of me needs to show the world this combination of words and letters and syllables that have never all been strung together in quite the same way before simply because I am the person who was able to string them together to look just like that.
    word nerd.
  • Ph0ebePh0ebe Posts: 20
    I guess that even practicing with other people who are learning the language would be better than nothing!
  • RubenRuben Posts: 251 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    I'm Dutch and would love to help out people learning our beautiful language. I understand German quite well, and some French, but I can't speak or write it. Oh and I'm fluent in English of course, but that comes free with Dutch citizenships nowadays. =P

Like @Yavianice I love Estonian. I have some Estonian friends, and I'd love to learn more, but I suck at learning languages unless I like really have to (I need a loooong vacation to Estonia I guess).

So yeah, if anyone needs help learning Dutch, I'd be more than happy to help.
    by Ruben
  • nakymatonlapsinakymatonlapsi Posts: 31
    edited November 2012
    Great idea!
    I'm German and fluent in Finnish as well but as it isn't my native language, I do make mistakes. I've studied French for about seven years now and Spanish for four.
    I'd especially love to help with German or Finnish!

@Ruben, @Yavianice:
    I'll need to learn some basic Dutch soon, do you have any suggestions on beginner websites/books?
    by nakymatonlapsi
  • RubenRuben Posts: 251 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @nakymatonlapsi since you're German and apparently quite good with language (I mean, Finnish is just crazy complicated...), I suggest you don't take a course that's too basic. German and Dutch are quite similar (at least, that's what they told me when I was learning German), and if you're someone who learns quickly, those courses will just be too slow for you.

From the looks of it, this seems to be a pretty comprehensive (and free...) course. Complete with audio and exercises. Of course the best way to learn it, is to visit the Netherlands. Let us Dutchies know if you need any help!
    by Ruben
  • ZeinounZeinoun Beirut, LebanonPosts: 39
    Cool idea!! I have been learning German since Kindergarten, and I have started to learn French this year too! I would like to practice with someone these two languages. Also if anyone is interested I am very fluent in Arabic, so I can correct them or practice with them! :D
  • zentourozentouro New York, NYPosts: 76 ✭✭
    hiyo. like most of the other people here, i'm a boring english speaker, but i'm also pretty advanced at reading and writing mandarin so if anyone wants help from and/or to help me, i would be totally down. 

@Ruben I would love to learn dutch, but have no idea where to start. i'll look at that course you linked to though.

other places i live

• millamariamillamaria Posts: 5
    Oh, what a cool idea! I'm always interested in learning new languages and I can also try and help someone who's struggling with the languages I know. I'm a native Finn, but I speak fluent English and German as well, and beginner/intermediate Swedish. It would be lovely to learn Spanish, as it's a widely-spoken language, but I'm also up for suggestions (:
  • CleodelCleodel Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Hi, I might be interested as well. I've taken French, Spanish, and Japanese in the past, but I really haven't had much success.

I'd also be interested in learning a bit of Finnish, Estonian, or Swedish. ^^
    |  tumblr  |   zazzle   |  deviantart  |
  • miacometmiacomet Posts: 3
    It's awesome that there's so much interest! I wonder if some of you could spread the word to other parts of Nerdfighteria which aren't necessarily English-speaking...

@Zeinoun Maybe I could help you with your French, and you with my German. Also, I'd love to learn Arabic, but it'd take me a while to get to the point of being able to actually write in it.
  • YavianiceYavianice Posts: 24
    @nakymatonlapsi (And anybody else who is interested in dutch beginner) For my dutch class I created some basic learning documents for my students. They cover pronunciation and basic grammar. In my experience, most people find two things very hard: Sentence structures (which is confusing, but you might find it easier since you are german) and pronunciation. Give me a PM if you are interested.
    Skype name: Yavianice

Of course I want to talk, what are you waiting for? I won't bite (usually) :)
  • Thanks for the suggestions on learning Dutch everyone!

@millamaria
    I'd love to get your help with some Finnish things. I plan to try a little creative/free writing in Finnish, only short texts of a few hundred words, and it would be great to get some feedback/advice on style and grammar. (I just don't think I can offer you anything in return.) Just message me if you're interested. :)
  • monsterthingmonsterthing Kepler 20-fPosts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2012
    I would love to be apart of this in a way, but I couldn't provide much help. I am in a HS French 2 class, and I can't use it well enough to have actual good conversations but I know enough to start teaching it to others.

And I would also love to learn the other languages as well! (Especially Swedish)
    by monsterthing
    The thing is...puppets. can't. fly.
  • tazo16tazo16 Long Island, NYPosts: 9
    That's a really cool idea! My first language is English, but I speak hebrew pretty well, and would love to have practice having regular conversation in hebrew. I'm halfway through my 2nd year of high school spanish, and I'm downright awful, and would love some help. 

• GigiGigi Posts: 58
    Interested! I'm fluent only in English but I'm learning Italian and would love some help

• ViniterViniter Posts: 39
    My native language is Slovak, so if someone for some inexplicable reason wanted to learn it, I'm here to help :). Also Czech and Slovak language are mutually intelligible, so if you're studying that I can help to an extend as well.
    As for my other languages, I only speak English. I'm quite competent in written English, but I don't have much experience with speaking.
  • Ludoalta95Ludoalta95 Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I'd really like to help someone improve their Italian or their French. I myself would like to improve my Spanish.
    And yet it moves.
  • randomradiationrandomradiation SingaporePosts: 392 ✭✭✭
    @miacomet I can speak and write in English and Hindi. I recognized this word: नमस्ते. However, Hindi is not a very popular language among those who cannot speak it and for those who don't live in India. Sooooooo what can I do?

Please @ me if you want to say something to me! | Instigator of the Last Ones | I live in the Land of the Last Ones

"When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."    -Isaac, The Fault in Our Stars, John Green 
  • christtichristti Posts: 16
    This sound like a great idea!
    I'm from Spain, so if anyone wants to learn or practice spanish, just contact me :)
    I only talk spanish and catalonian/valencian, and would love to speak with some english speakers.

It seems like we're made for each other, @tazo16 !
    “That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfast cereals based on color instead of taste.”  - John Green, Paper Towns
  • poppylovepoppylove Posts: 52
    @randomradiation I'm studying Hindi right now, and I would love to be able to practice speaking and writing! Would you have any interest in somehow helping me out with it? 
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche 

• theKrentnertheKrentner Posts: 4
    How would a language exchange actually function practically?

@Zeinoun تتكلم باللغه العربيه؟ I have been studying Arabic for 3 semesters now, but I never have anyone to actually use it with, so it's not really improving. ich kann auch Deutsch sprechen :)

seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly
  • MacNastyMacNasty Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    I am fluent in English, and also taking French 3A in my High School right now, and I'm rather good at it I think so I can help out with others in that area.

Languages that I'd be interested in learning are Scottish Gaelic, and/or possibly Japanese, definitely the first one though! 
    by MacNasty
  • celesicelesi Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I agree with @theKrentner, how do we get this off the ground? Any tips from people who have done this before?