Has SciShow made you want to earn a degree in a specific profession?

It sure has for me! I've been thinking about aerospace engineering ever since that one video about commercial space flight

Comments

• PyroTimeLadyPyroTimeLady Posts: 10
    Chemistry :D
    ~Don't tell me I'm not from Gallifrey!~
                     "Give me a torch. I am not for this ambling. Being but heavy, I will bear the light."
  • insomniacinsomniac Sarajevo, Bosnia and HerzegovinaPosts: 183 ✭✭
    Theoretical and particle physics for me :D
  • HoltzaHoltza Posts: 15
    I'm already at my second year of university studying economics and Japanese, so it's a bit too late for me. But since I've always been interested in science it would definitely have affected me if I'd been younger, maybe I would've gone into physics... or astronomy. The universe is frickin' cool.
  • PyroTimeLadyPyroTimeLady Posts: 10
    No, I was already a biology geek before I found sci show. However, it has made me more interested in science. Hank is like the new Bill Nye, he is making science cool. 
    Lol.  Now that I think about it, you are totally right :P
    ~Don't tell me I'm not from Gallifrey!~
                     "Give me a torch. I am not for this ambling. Being but heavy, I will bear the light."
  • NillieNillie Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    Not SciShow on its own, but the science channels on YouTube have definitely helped me decide to focus my studies on sciences. Now if only I could decide whether to study astronomy, physics or mathematics...
  • HutchHutch Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    I've already gotten my chemistry degree and I'm currently working on my education degree.  But I've been using Scishow to keep up to date on science (might also use it as a resource in class when something relevant pops up). 
  • BrickBrick Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Nillie said:
    Not SciShow on its own, but the science channels on YouTube have definitely helped me decide to focus my studies on sciences. Now if only I could decide whether to study astronomy, physics or mathematics...
    Are you serious!?!?! That's my 3 choices I've been looking at too!!!
  • MelanieMelanie Posts: 19
    I'm already a biology/chemistry person, but I love all of Hank's space videos so I'm taking a cosmology class next semester!
    Brick said:
    Nillie said:
    Why wouldn't I be? They are all very interesting subjects. Theoretical physics include lots of maths, so that's one good choice, in my opinion, as is astrophysics.
  • BrickBrick Posts: 36 ✭✭
    Nillie said:
    Brick said:
    Nillie said:
    Why wouldn't I be? They are all very interesting subjects. Theoretical physics include lots of maths, so that's one good choice, in my opinion, as is astrophysics.
    Astrophysics was something I used to want to do...
  • Eric_VuhlEric_Vuhl Posts: 5
    If you like working on pen and paper, Theoretical Physics is good.
    If you like working on big collaborative projects with years and years of bureaucracy* and little job-security, particle-physics it is.**
    If you like running simulations (coding, working with the computer) astrophysics is nice.

These are not perfect fits, there are simulations being done for theoretical physics/experiments being devised to test the theories. There are independent particle physicist working on data/theories. There are theoretical astrophysicists and experimentalists. This is just what has been my experience when going over it.

Either way, these are graduate studies. If you're still in high-school you do not need to worry about these things yet, just about where to study what for your undergraduate degree (Also known as taking it one step at a time :P ). Undergraduate degrees tend to be generalized (e.g. Math or Physics) in my experience, and you need those basics for any of those graduate degrees.

*Bloody hell, who the eff came up with the spelling for that?!
    **Like many undergraduate students, the prospect of doing particle physics seemed great to me when I started. But then I learned what it was like to actually be a particle physics and the bubble burst. Although I still love the science, I would not for the life of me want to be one anymore.
    @Eric_Vuhl Thanks for confirming that theoretical physics may be something for me. :)
    And I agree with you on the spelling of bureaucracy (the French came up with it); I have to look it up pretty much every single time. The Norwegian is simply phonetic: byråkrati.
  • Coldplayer42Coldplayer42 Posts: 81
    Since I started watching SciShow (I still only watch it occasionally), I have realized that my true potential is in some sort of science. Right now I am leaning to some sort of engineering, as I am undecided on a certain vocation (between computer and aerospace right now)
    "All morons hate it when you call them a moron." - Holder Caufield, The Catcher in the Rye
  • ThemanTheman Posts: 3
    Im trying to find a way to get a scholarship for Princeton for astronomy or ecology. Hank has been my role model for a while now. I sure hope I can get in!!
  • NelsonNelson AmsterdamPosts: 140 ✭✭
    Not really because I was already doing a major in cognitive neuroscience, which I'll be continuing in graduate school. SciShow does help me with keeping my scientific interests broad and keeping in touch with other scientific disciplines.
    [ YouTube ] [ tumblr ]
  • AstroPCGAstroPCG Posts: 11
    Nillie said:
    Astrophysics also includes lots of maths. Trust me, I'm studying it xD

Also, some undergraduate degrees let you choose Astrophysics-y subjects as early as in the second year, and then selection increases through the subsequent years - and similarly for Theoretical Physics, so it's not always just graduate level, though there differentiation is the most clear.

In the world what counts more than talent, what counts more than energy or concentration, or commitment or anything else, is kindness - Stephen Fry
  • WardinclyffeWardinclyffe Posts: 2
    Not a particular area of science, but Scishow has helped me solidify my desire to have a career in one of the sciences. (I have been struggling between science/liberal arts/fine arts type stuff) Probably biology since physics are still relatively over my head. Needless to say, Hank Green is truly inspiring. Honestly, I think he's better than Bill Nye. (don't get me wrong - I LOVE Bill Nye. Hank is just... better)
    "The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane."
    - Nikola Tesla
    AstroPCG said:
    Nillie said:
    Astrophysics also includes lots of maths. Trust me, I'm studying it xD

Also, some undergraduate degrees let you choose Astrophysics-y subjects as early as in the second year, and then selection increases through the subsequent years - and similarly for Theoretical Physics, so it's not always just graduate level, though there differentiation is the most clear.

Then my rather mathematically inclined mind will be put to good use either way. :)
    I hope to study physics at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) at some point. Why there? Because I like Trondheim, and because it's the leading university if you want to study science in Norway.
  • eventer79eventer79 The TARDISPosts: 20
    "I've already got one!"  Or two.  Hahhahaha. 

*ahem*  So glad to see so many young people getting psyched about science!  The advice I always give my (I swear they keep getting younger!) seasonal technicians:  always keep your mind open to possibilities, because I can almost guarantee where you will end up will NOT be the place you expected!!

I entered my undergraduate college as an English major & wanted to be a teacher (in high school, I wanted to fly the AH-64 Apache helicopter, LOLOLOLOLOL -- hilarious because I have appalling eyesight and hate exercise more than anything).  I almost majored in physics, then I took zoology and was mesmerized and graduated firmly convinced I was going to be a grey wolf biologist (ahhh, the naivete of youth!). 

Then I learned about things like reality, funding, job niche saturation, and...job types I didn't even know about!!  Today, I am a freshwater wildlife biologist, working on rare and endangered species of fish, mussels, crayfish and snails.  In large part due to accidentally doing a Master's degree on an threatened (and gorgeous) stream fish (I thought it was a bird when I applied for the position, thanks for keeping me from looking  like a moron for the interview, Google!).

I would have laughed in your face if you'd told me that 15 years ago at the ripe age of 20, when I knew everything!  I don't fish, didn't know a darn thing about fish or any of the aquatic taxa I know now...and they continue to fascinate me and I wouldn't go back and change it if I had the chance.  Although clearly, I make very poor financial decisions since I work for a state agency.  "Do what you believe in" they told me, heh.  Dangit.

Explore it all whenever you get the chance, it's all awesome!!!
    The Blog:  We Are Flying Solo
    Almost anything you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. -Gandhi