LGBT Nerdfighers!

1323334353638»

Comments

• KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BriRose23 Oh man, that's awesome! NASA is a dream job of mine. Maybe one day!
    And enjoy your year off! Try to find some time to relax, even if you will be working :)
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
  • BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,538 ✭✭✭
    @Kiar Good luck getting to NASA, it's a pretty cool place!

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    GOODREADS     TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM    ANOBII

• Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 607 ✭✭✭
    @BriRose23 It depends on what mischief my machinery is up to for the day. Most of the time, it's pretty calm during the nighttime part of the watch (daytime is very busy though, because the day workers need me for lots of stuff) and I have some maintenance work to do but not enough to fill the roughly 5 hours between departure and watch change (or between watch change and arrival). The most important part of my job is to be there if anything happens. So during nighttime, I get to take a bunch of breaks among my maintenance work, and spend an hour or two calmly strolling through my engine room to see that everything seems to be okay and so. I am pretty tired when I come home after 14 days, though.

@Kiar That sounds really cool!
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,538 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @Gara_the_engineer that doesn't seem too terrible!
    by BriRose23

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    GOODREADS     TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM    ANOBII

• DannoDanno IowaPosts: 92 ✭✭
    busy day...

@Gara_the_engineer the forums in general?

@BriRose23 i know how you feel about just wanting to read/veg out... so while the summer job seems like the logical move, you'll get something out of any decision you make.
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 607 ✭✭✭
    @BriRose23 It definitely isn't, at least not when you love your job.

@Danno Yes, that was what I meant. Sorry for being confusing
    On a random other note: you gotta love your workplace (the nuclear power plant where I temporarily work), when you get the feeling that although some of your workmates joke about homosexuality quite a bit, it's in a non-judging way (they joke a lot about a lot of things) and I'm pretty sure that if anybody would tell them that he's gay, almost everyone would be like "okay" and then continue working, because who cares what kind you prefer?
    happens. pretty jokes (classic NF reference B) or :( ?)

speaking of random lgbtqi notes: i'm putting the word out there, because i know i can't have found all the labels there are, and it would be so great if i could find one that actually works. i mentioned i identify as mostly male... but there are not insignificant parts of my psyche that are female and non-binary. i say not insignificant because even together that part of me is in the minority, ruling out multigender. demigender seems to have some weird connotations to it and genderqueer (to me) seems too broad to be a useful label.
    @Danno Pretty jokes :)
    Also, I can't help you with giving a name to that, but I'm pretty much the same when it comes to my gender (but mirrored: mainly female but partly male and partly "eh, who cares anyway?"). It's funny how I mistake myself for a male sometimes at work (heavily male-gendered branch) and then I, slightly shocked, realise that "no, I'm not the same gender as the other ones here. I'm the other, weird, kind. Huh."
    The worst shooting in US history took place last night and it was in a gay dance club. A hate crime. Possibly domestic terrorism. At least 50 dead. F*ck I'm just so angry and heartbroken. How can people do this? How can someone murder people because of who they love?
    I can't even make a cohesive post right now. I don't have any words.
    My writing project
  • anemicCatanemicCat Posts: 39
    @Kiar Yeah, I just heard about that as well. I don't know why someone would do something that horrible but it saddens me greatly, and obviously doesn't make me feel anymore safe living in this country. Your reaction is understandable, and we are here for you if you need some extra support
    -Milly
    (Icon by Ikimaru)
    The thing is, I literally just moved away from Florida on Wednesday. I could have been there. Any of my LGBT friends could have been there. I don't know anything yet. F*ck I just... I don't know. I feel like no where is safe.
    My writing project
  • anemicCatanemicCat Posts: 39
    Oh no D: I'm sorry, I hope your friends are safe. I wish we could feel safe, but as a community I don't think that will happen for a while after this.
    -Milly
    (Icon by Ikimaru)
    Thank you. My friends that were in the area are okay. In fact one of them was at that club earlier in the evening. They're okay though. I guess for now that's the only solace I can take.
    My writing project
    @Kiar ...and everyone. i know this is terrible and there's really nothing i can say, but i am here for everyone reeling from these events
  • gnaistgnaist Stanford, CA, USAPosts: 4,827 Admin
    Sending hugs and love to you all. The only way to respond to violence and hatred is to retaliate with love.
    Prince of the Last Ones
    I'm on a brand new collab channel: The Last One To Vlog Here Wins
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart." -- Helen Keller
  • dftbastarkiddftbastarkid FinlandPosts: 24
    Sending love to everyone! You can message me any time if you need to talk
  • DangerDanger New Jersey, USPosts: 2
    Hey! Gabriela, (new) leader of my high school's GSA. Defiantly need ideas for how to decrease school suck and general world suck.
    @Danger Welcome! I think the best thing you can do is to provide a safe community for LGBT and allies. Make it clear that you exist, and make it easy for interested individuals to reach out to you.

Here's some things that my school did:
    - Participated in the Day of Silence. They passed out tape, LGBT ribbons, and cards that explained what the event was for.
    - Hung up fliers advertising LGBT clubs. Clubs were before and after schools, and occasionally during lunch. (Lunch meetings were good, because many people couldn't afford to come in late/early if they road the bus.) Make it clear that these clubs are really casual hangouts, and that anyone is free to drop in. Have some small games or cards on hand if icebreakers are needed.
    - Talk to student council about organizing one of your spirit days to be rainbow themed.

I'm sure there's more that I can't think of off the top of my head. Good luck, and congratulations on stepping up to take on a leadership position!
    My writing project
  • The-Artist-IncognitoThe-Artist-Incognito Hogwarts...always hogwarts Posts: 12
    Hey! My name's Urvi, I'm 15 and I'm Bi. I've been out for a couple of years now and my parents just found out about my sexuality a few months ago. They didn't take it well because they're Indian and it's just against their morals...but I've been coping. How are you all doing?
    "The Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." - Neil Degrasse Tyson
    @The-Artist-Incognito That sucks, that they can't accept that people are different including when it comes to romantic and sexual preferences... and especially that they can't even accept that when it comes to their own kid!
    I'm doing fine, except for a recent episode when my mother got Upset about something. She has a tendency of getting Upset just about every time she gets even the slightest indication that she may have been treated less than ideal by people close to her, because what a rational person considers "less than ideal", is to her "insulted and/or ignored and/or in some other way very badly treated"... and she's the only person who can manage to make me upset too, when she's overreacting like that. Oh well, I don't live in that house anymore, luckily. Being grown-up has its advantages.
  • PetraAPetraA CaliforniaPosts: 2
    Hi all! I am doing a second round of submissions to the Bi and Pan Stories Project! The first round was amazing, thanks to everyone who submitted and has inspired a second round of people wanting to contribute. For those of you who might not know, the Bi and Pan Stories Project is a project I started just after coming out as Pansexual in order to collect the coming out stories of other bi and pan people to gain a better collective understanding of our common experience, and how that experience was shaped by our environments. It has since also grown into a wonderful expression of our community and is something I hope will inspire more bi and pansexuals to feel confident in our identities.

To see the project go to www.biandpanstories.co.vu and to submit your story go to this google form. You will be able to specify whether you would like to remain anonymous. https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLSf2fZ22OMJRb2bog0…/viewform

Nerdfigheria has always been an amazing community to be apart of and I hope that some of you will share your stories! Reading these submissions is already becoming a highlight of my week and I only started re-promoting this a couple hours ago!
    an update!
    i've actually been calling myself genderqueer for several months now. in all honesty i don't think i ever really had a problem with it... but with not feeling gay enough
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭
    James: Hello again. Something kinda weird happened earlier today while I was at Comic Con with my parents. I almost didn't even go because I've been sick but I haven't been wheezing like I was a coupe days ago so I went.

Anyway first I think I should explain that I've been letting my hair grow long for a while now. I never would of done this when I was younger because I was always taught to think that boys always had to have short hair and only girls could have long hair but I've since realized how arbitrary and ridiculous it is that hair length should have anything to do with a person's gender. Plus I have a female alternate personality and she had told one of my exes that she wanted to do something to make her feel more feminine in this body. Since surgery is out of the question we settled on this. In case you're wandering why I wrote my name at the start of this it's because I wanted you to know I wrote this part because eventually I'm going to let her take over so she can read this and maybe ask you a few questions.

That being said, I think my dad tried to drop some subtle hints to let me know he doesn't care if I'm transgender but I don't really know for sure. My mom is still totally against that sort of thing as usual keeps saying over and over again that I need to cut my hair. The funny thing is she saw a girl with hair longer than mine and loved it almost immediately after telling me to get a hair cut and I don't think she will ever realize what a double standard that is. The other thing is while most of my family tends to complain about my hair I don't think my dad has ever really joined them. At least I can't remember him ever complaining about men having long hair though I don't think I've ever really heard him defend it either.

My dad knows I have multiple personality disorder but he does not know that one of them is female so I can only imagine that he actually thinks I'm transgender when I'm not. I'm a straight man who just happens to have long hair. So my question for you is how can find out for sure if my dad suspects I might be transgender?

Hawk: Well this is unexpected. Feels like it's been forever since he's actually let me out to talk to anyone and on a public forum no less. I thought Heidi (the ex-girlfriend he mentioned earlier) was the only person who even knew about me. What is this place that he's posting this on anyway? I just scrolled up to look at the title of this thread, LGBT Nerdfighters? I'm guessing Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender but what the heck is a Nerdfighter? I'm a lesbian by the way, he failed to mention that part and Heidi is bisexual. That made it really easy for me to come out to her. I had been laying dormant in here for a while before that cause of the way people around me normally act towards people like us. Plus I really don't like this body very much, the boy parts are gross.

Anyway, how did you come out to your parents? Given my unique situation my parents don't even know I exist and I'm kinda scared to even tell them they have a daughter. Really don't even care about mommy she's always been horrible to us even when it was just the boys. But daddy has always been kind to us and it feels weird being scared to talk to him about this but I still can't help feeling this way. I don't know for sure if he would accept me the same as the boys.

I feel like an orphan some times, not even sure if I should really even call them my parents. Technically their child is dead, that little boy is gone and we're all that's left of him. But we're here he still accepts James and the others as his son so why can't I be his daughter too? I almost want to cry right now, this is kinda difficult for me to talk about. I don't even really know you people. James is usually the one that uses this account. I don't know if anyone else in this group has to deal with being the only girl sharing a man's body with a bunch of other men. You might not be able to understand what that's like for me but surely you've had similar experiences of coming out to your parents about being gay or transgender. Just forget the multiple personality part for now and focus on the part where I have to explain to my daddy that his "son" is actually his daughter. I really want to be accepted as daddy's little girl... even though I'm not really so little... I'm a 6'4" tall adult but you know what I mean. It's really lonely when you don't even have any family and I never thought I even had a chance to have a honest father/daughter relationship. I thought I was always going to have to be kept a secret from the rest of my family but if James is right and he's open to the idea I really want to talk to him if I can.

There's just a tiny ray of hope there but if I tell him and he doesn't want to accept me he might reject all of us. As bad as it is for me not to have anyone, I don't want to ruin things for the boys. The down side to sharing a body with other people is you really have to take their feelings into consideration as well. If one of us screws up we all have to suffer the consequences. I can't really have my own life apart from them. Would make things so much easier if I could. I could actually do all the things I want to do like wear women's clothing, shave my facial and body hair off, paint my nails, wear make up. Still wouldn't do surgery, sharing a body or not I still have that chronic pain issue so I can't get the boy bits cut off but I am a little over weight anyway so it's almost like I have boobs. Small ones but that's OK. :) Not sure if I should of mentioned that part. James might be a little embarrassed later if he reads this. I don't he likes his moobs but I love my little breasts. When he was still dating Heidi there was one time I shaved all the chest hair off to make them feel even more like a girl's boobs. He got really mad when I did that though. It grew back so I don't know what the big deal is. He never takes his shirt off anyway so not like anyone could see it. Anyway obviously I don't mind embarrassing him a little bit but I could really ruin his life if daddy finds out about me and then disowns us or something horrible like that.

Also while I'm here would any lesbians or bisexual girls on here over 18 be interested in dating me? I kinda doubt that any lesbians would be interested considering my physical appearance and the fact that I might suddenly turn back into a man but if you're bisexual anyway it really shouldn't matter. ;) I know Heidi never minded. You just can't touch my down stairs parts and be with me at the same time. One of the boys will take over again if you touch me there. You can touch my butt if you want just stay away from the boy parts, I don't like that. If anyone on here is under age, I apologize for the some what inappropriate comments. Believe it or not I've actually toned it down just in case but again I'm not entirely sure what this is. I've never posted on here before. So I guess I'll just hit the post comment button now. I don't really know how I'm suppose to end this. I'm getting sleepy and I'm really just rambling right now. So many feelings, angry, scared, hopeful, sad, just a little bit happy, but mostly still sleepy. Hope you guys can help us with our unusual problem.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!