Weight Loss Motivation!

Comments

• TylorWayneTylorWayne Posts: 7
    I've let myself get way too far out of shape so I've just started making an effort to lose weight/get healthier.  I've started tracking my calories with an app on my Kindle (it is amazing the absurd amount I take in when I'm not paying attention).  I also want to start doing some kind of exercise but the rub with that is being very busy (working everyday and at odd/late hours).

I'm looking forward to hearing everybody's progress and helping however I can.
    Rebecca_A said:
    Is anyone else a stress eater? It's finals week and I find myself craving everything I should not be eating! 
    That and boredom eating can be a problem for me too.  I find the best way to avoid it is to find alternative things to do whenever I have that urge.
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been relatively good... kind of... I've stopped snacking and have tried to eat healthy and run at least five times a week and so far I've lost 7 kilos which I can't actually see but it's progress all the same. I'm pretty good with my willpower actually which surprised me. I read this thing that said if you have a food craving, do something like clench your fists a few times or some other stuff that I've forgotten now. It's really hard when you want to see fast results and so many times I've been like "Nothing's happening WHAT'S THE USE" but I think you just need to force yourself to keep running or do whatever you do. Because quite honestly, I hate running more than I hate asparagus but I feel invigorated afterwards, after I get done dying. But I tried on my ball dress the other day and it was a bit looser on me and that spurred me on. But Christmas... okay I'm going to be honest, I am going to eat ALL THE FOODS, but I'm going to do it in moderation and not stuff myself to the point of explosion, just eat a little bit of everything. Food is the highlight of Christmas though ain't it?
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to start back running again. I was running 5 times a week back in July, August and September and then I kind of just stopped. /:

But I agree...Food and family are the highlights of Thanksgiving and Christmas. (: Everything in moderation can be good.
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

• emiliarmusemiliarmus Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    yup. my family always has a TON of food at all of our parties. and the hard thing is, we just sit around and talk all day, with the food sitting out all the time, so we just snack all day. hard to resist when it's there aaaaaaall day. but i'm going to try! 
  • Bee12Bee12 Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I love snacking, i'm guilty of stress eating and eating when bored as well or just because something is "there" and available. I don't think snacking is a bad thing, if you snack on the right things. I found eating every 3 hours (meal, snack, meal, snack etc.) works well when I actually stick to it. Otherwise I turn into an animal at meal times and eat everything in sight.

Biggest challenge for me right now is to get myself moving again...well that and staying away from all the wonderful treats available right now...
  • celinesaracelinesara Posts: 231 ✭✭
    This is terrible. I'm gaining weight. I'm pretty sure that some of it is muscle weight but not all. This is a bad time for losing weight. Thanksgiving to Christmas to Chinese New Year. I should really stop snacking on pistachio nuts.
    (:
    Well I have been absolutely horrible about keeping to my diet over this last week.  Think I may need to start this whole thing over again. Bah humbug!
    A skirt that I bought a few months ago was too small for me. Just tried it on again, and it fits! Now I just need to not gain weight back during Christmas parties >.>
  • amelia9009amelia9009 NYCPosts: 165 ✭✭✭
    just got home from college and was shocked to discover that I did not at all gain the freshman 15. Apparently walking all around London made up for the fact that I am incapable of cooking/eating healthy. Hopefully sitting around and eating food at home for a month won't hurt me too much. I wish MN winters weren't so awful I can't do anything outside.
    Activate your force-fields and just keep going.
    youtube twitter tumblr
    I've been so unmotivated recently, I finally thought of a solution. I'm going to maintain a public blog (probably on tumblr because I know how to use it haha), i'm going to track my exercise and how "good" i'm being. That way I can get feedback, ideas etc. and friends can help keep me accountable. I'm not stopping there however, I have roughly 20 (probably closer to 30...) lbs to lose, what i'm going to do is ask friends and family to pledge to donate a dollar to a charity for per pound for every one that I lose. If I gain weight, I pay a dollar, I'm going to weigh in weekly, if I miss a weigh in I pay $5. Hopefully my friends and family will all pledge and then it'll add up! If i'm losing weight for charity, I should be able to succeed :)

I'm going to start in January with my first weigh in, so i'll post the blog here when I get it set up :)
  • OliverHartOliverHart Posts: 17
    People've probably mentioned this already but I think it would bear repeating.

Don't try to go too fast, don't make a bunch of huge, drastic changes, all at once and expect to keep them. It's very hard to do and that's the main reason most people fail at trying to change their lives, they get over eager and ambitious and try to do too much at once.

Set clear and simple goals and stick to them. Make each goal a SINGLE step instead of trying to tackle multiple things at once. You can work on two or more different goals at the same time, but remember to be honest with yourself and what you can achieve. The main goal shouldn't be to get as healthy as quickly as possible, but to get healthy with as high a likelihood that you're going to STAY healthy as possible.

It's much easier to take 5 separate goals and work on each of them for two weeks than it is to set one goal with 5 conditions in 10 weeks. Remember to try to break everything down as much as possible instead of leaving vague concepts. Instead of saying "I want to lose 20 pounds in 10 weeks," try to think of different ways that you would actually go ABOUT achieving that, and make those each your goals instead. One goal could be focused on drinking fewer soft drinks, another could be focused on eating fewer or healthier snacks in between meals. Then you could focus on eating healthier meals, and finally exercising more. These 4 goals are a lot easier to work on in pieces and will be a lot more effective than setting a single, complex goal without really having focus on how exactly to achieve it. (Also, there's the whole "weight doesn't equate to health" argument blah blah blah blah blah, it's always better to just go for healthier practices rather than setting arbitrary numbers)

Also remember that devoting yourself to a healthy lifestyle shouldn't be a short term goal, but a lifelong pursuit. Once you reach a healthy weight, you shouldn't just stop and settle into a lifestyle that accommodates staying there. Staying healthy means constantly striving to be better than you were the day before, even if it's just a tiny amount.
  • MishiewishieMishiewishie Posts: 82 ✭✭
    @emiliarmus I think I'm more a bored eater too. Or when I feel like I've been doing one activity for too long, and my brain is thinking of something else to do--eat is the first instinct. Everytime that happens, I drink a glass of water first--and not just the small one--a huge one. 

You can always try the Special K granola bars--the chocolate chip one is awesome and just90 calories! :) You can have two and it will still be fine! :)
    Always the tone of surprise.

Bee12 said:
    I've been so unmotivated recently, I finally thought of a solution. I'm going to maintain a public blog (probably on tumblr because I know how to use it haha), i'm going to track my exercise and how "good" i'm being. That way I can get feedback, ideas etc. and friends can help keep me accountable. I'm not stopping there however, I have roughly 20 (probably closer to 30...) lbs to lose, what i'm going to do is ask friends and family to pledge to donate a dollar to a charity for per pound for every one that I lose. If I gain weight, I pay a dollar, I'm going to weigh in weekly, if I miss a weigh in I pay $5. Hopefully my friends and family will all pledge and then it'll add up! If i'm losing weight for charity, I should be able to succeed :)

I'm going to start in January with my first weigh in, so i'll post the blog here when I get it set up :)
    Well when that is set up I'd like to follow.
  • AKCorneliusAKCornelius Posts: 31
    I went to the gym today for the first time in about six months. I've kept up on running, but definitely not weight lifting. I tried to bench my old weight and just about killed myself.

It's definitely time to do better... haha it was EMBARRASSING. 
  • icewinter89icewinter89 Posts: 14

I've always struggled with weight and self-image my entire life. I'm 5 feet 3 inches tall. When I was in high school (class of 2008) I peaked at around 215. I'm not sure of the exact number because I got so depressed that I stopped weighing myself because I just didn't want to know. After graduating high school I went off to a community college for 2 years. During this time I started loosing weight, but it was unintentional. I'm not sure how it happened. I changed my eating habits only slighlty, and didn't exercise beyond walking about a mile to work everyday. I honestly didn't do much. Somehow it worked and I was able to get myself down to 150ish during those 2 years. I'm now finishing up school at a private university and still working on weight loss.

About 1 year ago I started dating someone who I truly fell in love with and fully admire. In the year that we dated he lost 92lbs. He started around 308 and is now about 200. I'm so incrediably proud of him. I spent a lot of our relationship being jealous of his weight loss success. But after a few months I realized that if he could do it, so could I. I started working on it in September 2012. I went to the gym 2 to 3 times a week and cut out sweets and high calorie foods. I made a goal that by my birthday (Dec16th) that I would be down to 125, which is a healthy BMI for my height. Sadly, my boyfriend (my inspiration) broke up with me just before my birthday. His weight loss turned him into a bit of a cocky jackass and he started flirting with other women. It hurts because he was the one and only person who believed in me. He told me that I was a strong person and i could do anything that I put my mind to. Our breakup hurt me a lot, so I had a few set backs. I didn't make my goal, but i'm not going to give up. I'm at 130 currently. Almost there! I'm actually looking forward to reaching my goal, taking some sexy pictures of myself, sending them to him and saying 'Ha you missed out, you can't have this!"  :-h

Hi all! Here is the new blog I started. I was surprised at how nervous I was actually posting this. Guess I really have to get motivated now haha

http://weeklyweighin2013.tumblr.com/

My mom started weight watchers today, and said that if i joined her for three months, she'd pay for it, so I'm going to try it. I've never actually done any sort of weight loss program, so we'll see how it goes...
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

I'm super bad about this, and my weight totally yoyos. But, biggest piece of advice on the work out front is to come up with a set of goals that get progressively harder that you are working to achieve. Example:

1- 3 sets of 10 reps with 10 lbs weights

2- run 1 mile without stopping

3- shorten time of mile by half a minute.

4- run a 5k

Also, get a friend to work out with you or friends who want to do active things that you can count as workouts.

• RaeRae Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭
    i'm not exactly sure what to do, because my weight and bmi and such are average, even a little under, but the thing is i dont look it, my stomach isnt flat and i feel super self conscious when wearing tight shirts or bathing suits or whatever. i dont know what o do, because i dont want to lose weight if i dont have to but i want to look good as well
  • Rebecca_ARebecca_A Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    @Bee12 The link doesn't work. Did you delete it? 

@Rae I would suggest pilates! Doing pilates will help you tone your muscles and a lot of it involves working your abs, which might make you feel better about your stomach. You can find videos on youtube. 
    @Rebecca_A ahh yeah I forgot to edit that comment haha. I deleted my main Tumblr recently and forgot it would go with it...oops!
  • Kevin93Kevin93 Posts: 5
    edited January 2013
    The biggest advice I can give is to set a day-to-day routine and stick with it. Your body will adjust to it and begin to expect it.

Do NOT starve yourself. You'll actually gain weight if you do. Have at least 5 healthy meals a day. Normally, your body takes 2-3 hours to digest food in your stomach. If you don't eat for 5-6 hours, your body will panic and go into "starvation mode". And by the time you actually eat, your body will hold onto that food and very slowly digest it. And by the end of the day, guess what happens to the food that wasn't burned off. It turns into fat. But if you keep eating small-medium sized meals throughout the day, your body will know that more food is coming so it'll burn off that food in no time. I don't really have any advice on exercise, because it depends on the person and what you're trying to do. I'm currently doing rushfit myself, and we'll see what happens.

Although, if you exercise, try to have a meal high is complex carbs(for energy) 2-3 hours before the workout and high in protein(to repair muscles) after the workout.

Keep your goals realistic, and reward yourself when you reach one :)

I have a lot of information; since one of my courses this semester is fitness and lifestyle management. So if anyone has questions, I might be able to help.

My prof actually gave us a meal plan that he guaranteed would make you lose 15 pounds in 3 weeks without any exercise. I can post it for someone if you wanted it. He did stress that if you were going to exercise, do not do that meal plan. Also remember though, weight does not equal fat. I'm almost certain that you'll lose muscle on that meal plan as well as fat.
    by Kevin93
    blargh. i know it's better to eat less food more often, but it just doesn't work with my life :( my job is at a restaurant in the evenings, so i regularly go 8 hours at work without eating, because i'm not allowed to eat until i'm done at work. and i can't find breakfast food i like, so i oftentimes skip breakfast. I'M SO AWFUL AT EATING. i actually have issues using all my points for weight watchers, unless i have something SUPER unhealthy, because i don't eat that often during the day! 
  • KelliKelli TexasPosts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys! I'm super excited! I started running again last week after not running at all for 4 months and yesterday I ran my fastest mile time ever!! Eeeeek. (: IMPROVEMENT!! YAY.
    I make videos 
    "Nerd like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff."
    I live in the land of the Last Ones

• ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Congrats to any one who worked out or made other decisions that help them achieve their goals yesterday. You are truly made of awesome.

If not, well today is another day.

• MariaMaria Posts: 21
    Ariel said:

Congrats to any one who worked out or made other decisions that help them achieve their goals yesterday. You are truly made of awesome.

If not, well today is another day.

And there's always tomorrow. For real this time.

I worked out for the first time in what seems like forever! Ran (ok walked most of) 2 miles and did some yoga, which I haven’t done in over a year. It felt so wonderful and even though I didn’t do as much as I used to, I kept reminding myself that I was doing more than I had in a while and I should celebrate that rather than put myself down.

This got me thinking, is there anyone else that needs any support, a check-in buddy or a motivator? Let’s start to motivate each other people! Whatever your goal is, whether it’s to lose weight, get active or train for a marathon, you can do it J You’re just that awesome!

• celinesaracelinesara Posts: 231 ✭✭
    @Bee12 You are right about celebrating. Remember to slowly work yourself back into your exercise program. Don't push yourself too far.
    (:
  • AKCorneliusAKCornelius Posts: 31
    I had some success getting back in shape, and I think what made the biggest difference was modifying my diet - I've always been fairly active, but I ate like an American. 

I found that it was much easier to change the way I ate when I started recording meals. I carry a small moleskin and record everything I consume, then post it to a tumblr. I eat much healthier, and in more appropriate portions.