Real Life Long Distance Book Club?

Comments

• subvertclichesubvertcliche Posts: 95 ✭✭
    This sounds great! Let me know if you come up with a book/start date. (:
  • subvertclichesubvertcliche Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @GaryYudman I have a copy of the Casual Vacancy that I'd love to have annotated by Nerdfighters. (:
  • I know I'm terribly new here, but I love writing in books and I'm just dying to participate in Nerdfighteria! I suppose I'll send a message along to you, Gary, as way of signing up.
  • LudiciaLudicia Posts: 2
    I got the same idea today and i was just checking if anyone is doing it...and that landed me here i absolutely LOVE IT :D i really want in on it but im in South Africa?? And i know its way late now the post dates Dec 2013 and its July 2013 :x but if its not too late...id love to be a part of nerdfighteria:D
  • LudiciaLudicia Posts: 2
    Sorry i meant Dec 2012 haha
  • geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I think this is a great idea. Can we do this please?
  • I'd love to join in as well, if it's not too late!
  • LiljaLilja IcelandPosts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this project but @subvertcliche hasn't been active for four months :/
    If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. -Alice in Wonderland

I live in the land of the last ones :)

• GaryYudmanGaryYudman New YorkPosts: 738 ✭✭✭
    I'd still love for this to be a thing, but not right now. Personal things plus time equals lost interest, but I am planning on doing this at some point. It's a great idea, and I'm very glad other people agree.
    "RELAX, EAT THE APPLES, DRINK SOME WATER!"
  • mcclintockem29mcclintockem29 Columbus Ohio/ Buffalo New YorkPosts: 11
    If anyone is still interested, I suggest we create a group on goodreads. From there we can create a list of the books we want to read and then pair up based on who wants to read them/ who owns them and begin sharing addresses and discussing them. 
    Please let me know if your interested because I certainly am!
    "I will try again tomorrow. And I will try again the next day after that" - Rosalin D. Robertson
  • NotWeirdGiftedNotWeirdGifted BelgiumPosts: 70

I'm from Belgium and i'm in for this :)

Are there any other persons from Europe willing to do this?

I'm somewhere between "sure" and "I don't know, maybe" - Lights (where the fence is low)

I recently found a solution to the 2 problems you had (who would buy the book and who would get the book).

If you get a group of 5 or 6 people, and everyone buys a book they think is amazing/want to read / whatever. And they read it, leaving their commentary in their, and then sending it to the person next it the line. (1 always sends to 2, 2 to 3, ...) Eventually when you read the 4 or 5 books of the others, you get yours back + with the commentary of the others in there.

Are their still people up for this?

I'm somewhere between "sure" and "I don't know, maybe" - Lights (where the fence is low)

I recently found a solution to the 2 problems you had (who would buy the book and who would get the book).

If you get a group of 5 or 6 people, and everyone buys a book they think is amazing/want to read / whatever. And they read it, leaving their commentary in their, and then sending it to the person next it the line. (1 always sends to 2, 2 to 3, ...) Eventually when you read the 4 or 5 books of the others, you get yours back + with the commentary of the others in there.

I AM!!! I AM!!!!!! :)
    If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. -Alice in Wonderland

• GaryYudmanGaryYudman New YorkPosts: 738 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

I think this could work! Who's still up for it? Say what book you're thinking of, too. That'll help decide who gets in :P
    by GaryYudman
    "RELAX, EAT THE APPLES, DRINK SOME WATER!"
    As you can probably tell from my earlier post I am up for it :þ 

I don't care what kind of books we read as long as they aren't written in really old English (English isn't my first language) I did manage to read through the lord of the rings books a couple of years ago so I should be alright though.

Jeez I opened my mail and the top 3 things were "hank and john" and my first thought was "oh dear what did I do wrong" :)

@GaryYudman I haven't really though about any book yet...

@Berglind I don't really care either :)

That does make three of us, which makes me kind of happy.

What do you think of waiting another week to see if we can get to 5 or 6? maybe then we can start discussing books and addresses and other things. And if we don't get to 5, would you be prepared to just do it with the 3 of us?

I would be ok with just us three but there is this one thing, I'm going to spain on wednesday and I'll be back on september 9th. Would that be ok? because I really like the idea :) If we have decided on books and stuff I can send my one as soon as I come home or maybe if we are quick on deciding I can send mine on wednesday before I go? 

First of all, have fun in Spain :)

I don't really mind, I have retakes until 5 September, and I'm going on holiday from 9 to 12 September. So I'm fine with sending it afterwards :)

Great :)

so where do you guys live? I kind of live in Iceland :þ

Belgium :)

Can we do this now?

• TeajTeaj The Kingdom of CanadaPosts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll join! And I'm not moving soon like I thought I would be :P
    Teaj said:
    I'll join! And I'm not moving soon like I thought I would be :P
    Great!!! :)

• beloved490beloved490 Fremont, CAPosts: 13
    I'm new, but I would love to join! I absolutely would love it if one of the books could be Steinbeck's East of Eden, since I've been dying to discuss that book with people! But I know that's quite a feat since it took me (and I'm actually an extremely fast reader) 7 days to read through it.

Am I too late to get in on this? X: I also live in California, in the U.S. of A... \:
    "There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there is never more than one." - C.S. Lewis
    I'm new, but I would love to join! I absolutely would love it if one of the books could be Steinbeck's East of Eden, since I've been dying to discuss that book with people! But I know that's quite a feat since it took me (and I'm actually an extremely fast reader) 7 days to read through it.

Am I too late to get in on this? X: I also live in California, in the U.S. of A... \:
    You're not too late :)

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel kinda late to the party, but I'd love to get involved, if possible. Thing being, I'm in the UK and (for the next 3 months) technically a minor. If this works out, could I possibly join in after Christmas? (If that is too awkward, then fair enough).
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• arubirureiarubirurei Posts: 9
    If this got up-and-running, i'd totally be up for it. U.S. midwest, if that matters.
  • oceanpotionoceanpotion EnglandPosts: 347 ✭✭✭
    This is an awesome idea!

• I am late to the party, but I'd love to join. This is an excellent idea. And I'm from Montreal, Canada.
  • oceanpotionoceanpotion EnglandPosts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea. Count me in!