Crash Course: World Religions

2»

Comments

• geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    I think this is pretty awesome and would make a really good crashcourse.
  • I would LOVE to watch something like this. I think if anyone can do it in a an unbiased way, it would be John and Crash Course. 
  • geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2013
    Can we please make this happen now?
    by geekacrossthestreet
  • ParrotParrot Posts: 30
    do want. 
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    this would be such a brilliant thing!!
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I want this so bad, but it seems like they are doing AP test subjects (possibly because they have received money to do this). Who knows though, maybe we will get world religions!
  • TmrwWeWillRunFastrTmrwWeWillRunFastr Posts: 42 ✭✭
    This would be awesome! I would really like to learn about more polytheistic religions. Maybe there could be a mini series related to this one with Religions of the Ancient World (Mythology). Also, if he did World Religions I think an episode about atheism and it's history would be really great. Scientology would also be quite interesting. It my also be nice to go into some detail about the different sects of Christianity, particularly Catholicism since many non-Catholic Christians don't realize that Catholics are Christians.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    This would be awesome! I would really like to learn about more polytheistic religions. Maybe there could be a mini series related to this one with Religions of the Ancient World (Mythology). Also, if he did World Religions I think an episode about atheism and it's history would be really great. Scientology would also be quite interesting. It my also be nice to go into some detail about the different sects of Christianity, particularly Catholicism since many non-Catholic Christians don't realize that Catholics are Christians.
    I think that Mormons (which isn't the proper name for the religion, just the common one) get WAY more of the "you're not Christian" thing, especially since they don't use the symbol of the cross.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • AJ91AJ91 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    I once saw a blog about symbols berating a website for using a "Catholic" symbol when it was clearly not appropriate. The symbol in question was the chi rho. Now, since the chi rho is a monogram formed of the first 2 letters of the word Christ in the greek alphabet, I have to wonder what makes this symbol so Catholic when the letters stand for Christ. 

Now I can certainly see how use will define a symbol within one sect or another, but I have to marvel at the pettiness that will compel someone to reject a symbol that stands for the eternal leader of their faith (the author was Christian) simply because someone they disagree with used it first.  
    Sede Sapientiae Ora Pro Nobis
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Posts: 5
    Yes! Yes! Yes!  This would be brill! Especially with Johns understanding on the topic :D
  • NillieNillie Posts: 888 ✭✭✭
    AJ91 said:
    I once saw a blog about symbols berating a website for using a "Catholic" symbol when it was clearly not appropriate. The symbol in question was the chi rho. Now, since the chi rho is a monogram formed of the first 2 letters of the word Christ in the greek alphabet, I have to wonder what makes this symbol so Catholic when the letters stand for Christ. 

Now I can certainly see how use will define a symbol within one sect or another, but I have to marvel at the pettiness that will compel someone to reject a symbol that stands for the eternal leader of their faith (the author was Christian) simply because someone they disagree with used it first.  
    Another thing is that, since they're Greek letters, I've always seen is as more of a Greek-orthodox symbol.
  • writtenwisheswrittenwishes College Dorm RoomPosts: 3,078 ✭✭✭
    I would love to see this happen! I think it'd be really interesting :)
  • lopezdespencerlopezdespencer Posts: 2
    Yay.

Could there be such a thing as a course for each religious tradition?

Then, you see, someone with the know-how from each tradition could deliver the goods. A muslim for Islam, a jew for judaism...

... and as you can see from my profile, I volunteer for the worldview of beerism.

Seeeeriously, I already want to do this for Christian theology. Thoughts?
  • _RobbieBlair__RobbieBlair_ UtahPosts: 26
    I strongly agree that 1) this would lead to flame wars and 2) it should be done anyway. I would love to learn more about world religions—and there are so many misconceptions about all the major faiths.

I'm almost tempted to say the comments should be disables for the videos, but I think the chance for good, constructive comments outweighs the costs. Let the trolls and flamers do their thing. We'll ignore them as we ... you know, build something worthwhile.
  • mayorqwmayorqw LisbonPosts: 37
    edited December 2013
    AJ91 said:
    Now, since the chi rho is a monogram formed of the first 2 letters of the word Christ in the Greek alphabet, I have to wonder what makes this symbol so Catholic when the letters stand for Christ. 
    Well, it has pretty common usage in Catholic imagery and whatnot (I remember seeing it on a Bible-holder, and on draperies). Also, it conveniently stands for Latin 'PAX' which is appropriate for the Roman Church. 

I guess it all comes down to usage. Whatever a symbol's origin, it'll always be associated with those who appropriate it and portray it as their own. The 'Crescent and Star' often used to portray Islam most likely originated in the Ancient Near East, and swastikas were used by assorted religious groups in Asia long before the Nazis ruined the party.

While rejecting the symbol just for being characteristic of a different confessional group is petty, you could argue that whoever did it saw it as 'just' a Catholic symbol, and not so much as a an all-around Christian one.

Anyhoo, would really love for a CrashCourse: World Religions!
    by mayorqw
  • LuxferusLuxferus Posts: 3
    I was saying this in one of my posts. There should definitely be a Crash Course: World Religions and tie it in with history. Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants this.