Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• turtlemcnuggetsturtlemcnuggets Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭
    @Yodaboyaz yes. Human. I believe I was making my straying from this thread as you were making your entrance.

Im 19 and while maybe I will grow up in a different way than I am planning, I think I will probably still feel like a teenager for a good handful of years. There's a good Kimya Dawson line about staying a teenager.
  • SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 91
    edited June 17
    @sackclothandaisies Sure, I'll send one over your way. hi @turtlemcnuggets I believe I have not yet made your acquaintance either. probably because I'm so new to the forums, I don't think I belong here
    by SkyDoctor
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 47
    edited June 17
    I was just thinking about how we sort of know each other, but we're never really on Our Pants at the same time. So, like do we know each other, do we not know each other? Just some random thoughts from the brain of a person who overthinks everything.
    by hermionegranger
    A life? Cool! Where can I get one of those?
  • ritobanrcritobanrc Posts: 11
    @hermionegranger Completely agree. I didn't feel any more "teenagery" the day I turned 13. I think teenager is a misnomer. Instead we should classify people based on their behaviors. ie. Nerdy, decepticonian.

Now whether we want to classify people at all is an entirely different question.
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Well I think teenager arose to describe a middle period between true childhood dependency on family support and full independence (by working, having a family, etc.). So I think it does its job in helping describe the gap between young childhood and adulthood, but it is just a general period of time. It's hard to break up live into such distinct segments because everything seems (to me) to be the product of everything that came before - the integral if you will. So there definitely is change but not immediate - it is all a process.
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 629 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, misnomer means that the word's etymology and current definition don't match up.
    "Teenager" in itself means people whose ages are between 13 and 19, but people use things like "adult teenager" or "grown up teenager" or whatever to refer to people who display characteristics you would usually expect in people of that age group.
    And it's fine for the people who fall outside that age group to hang out here because the entire point of the virtual world is that you're reduced to your essence, the choices you make versus the things you don't get to choose. If you choose to reveal certain aspects of your real-life identity (if you will), you're still making that choice so essentially your internet persona is just a sum of the choices you make.
    I don't like revealing things about my real life on the internet because I liked being judged by the choices I make. And so I haven't made the choice to lose anonymity easily.
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
    oh except I don't mind having more followers on Instagram to be honest.
    tell me if y'all wanna add me and I'll message you :sunglasses:
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 218 ✭✭
    @turtlemcnuggets
    Of course you are a fellow human. Ah, we missed each other's presence on this digital platform.
    @hermionegranger
    I do think that even if we aren't here at the same time, even though there is no physical "here" that we are, we can get to know each other. I met several people on the LEGO Message Boards, before they closed, whom I consider to be great friends. Only being to say one response in a conversation per day did not stop us from becoming very close, even closer than many people whom I see every day IPL (in physical life).
    @the teenage discussion
    The human life is full of gray areas. A baby is a baby. A child is a child. A teenager is a teenager. An adult is an adult. An old person is an old person. But there is no way for certain to tell when a person moves between those phases. And I would argue that that change takes a long time, even longer each time you "move up a level".
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to think about because for a long time there was probably not a teenager stage of life, since you kind of were a child and then started working or got married off and started a family. It seems kind of newer - maybe a post romanticism thing(?) - where childhood is recognized and cherished. Like looking at all of history, it was relatively recently that educating people until they were 18, 22, or even later, became common.
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 47
    edited June 19
    @Yodaboyaz I thought about that too after I posted that thought.
    @the teenage discussion A while ago, I read an article in National Geographic about why teenagers have the reputation they do. It's because their brain is being pretty much rewired. Also, they're more willing to take risks if there is a reward. @Bohemamine just said that the teenager stage of life probably didn't exist for most of human history, which I agree with. So, when did this "rewiring" happen, then? Anyone have an idea?
    by hermionegranger
    A life? Cool! Where can I get one of those?
    SciShow has created a segment on the teenage brain:

@hermionegranger @Bohemamine http://www.institute4learning.com/2016/09/22/the-evolutionary-advantages-of-being-a-reckless-teenager/ answers your question pretty well. @Bohemamine - your assumption that there wasn't a teenager stage of life is innacurate. The life expectency during the Paleolithic Era was 33 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy). However, as the wikipedia article notes, the life expectancy increases to 54 if you discount the "child deaths" that occur before 15. Even living until 33 gives 13 years to use your "improved" brain. Although the life expectency decreases rapidly after the Neolithic starts, this is just the last ~10,000 years, which is nowhere near enough time for a major evolutionary change like this.

I would submit that while teenage brain development has been happening for a while, the cultural view of teenager-nes that we currently have is a relatively new thing.
    Vsauce made a video about the social phenomenon of juvenoia, the feeling of "what is wrong with kids these days?"
    Oh yeah. I remember that video.
    This is kind of random and off-topic, but it just came to me and I couldn't think of any better place to post it.

I'm a relatively new nerdfighter, so I'm not sure if John or Hank have answered this previously, but I was wondering if we know their Pottermore house or Patronus?
  • MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! And welcome to the people who've come in since I've been here.

@Bohemamine I've been travelling a lot over the summer. I went to Canada for my best friend's wedding and then visited family in various places. I'll be back to classes Monday. Sorry it's been so long!

@ritobanrc John said he's a Hufflepuff and I believe Hank said he's a Ravenclaw. I'm not a hundred percent certain about Hank, though.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
    edited June 23
    Hank is a Ravenclaw, I think he said it on hankgames when it actually had a Hank.
    by SkyDoctor
    @MontannaPeach
    So I was watching old vlogbrothers videos,, and I was looking through the comments of one. And one commentor's profile picture caught my eye. I thought to myself: "Is- is that MontanaPeach?" It sure was.
    I've found nerdfighter friends in the comments of youtube videos a whole bunch of times, tbh.
    @Yodaboyaz Which one was it? I've had John comment on a couple.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

@MontannaPeach
    I couldn't remember that for the life of me. It was late at night and I was basically asleep.
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 68
    Hi, I'm a 19 year old German and new in this forum. DFTBA!
    @AnFa *waves*
    @AnFa
    Guten Tag! Welcome to Our Pants!
    *grace helbig voice* NEW PERSON NEW PERSON NEW PERSON!

hullo :3
    argh why does the :­­3 turn into :3
    @Yodaboyaz @turtlemcnuggets @beepbop1011
    Thanks guys, you're so welcoming :)
    Though I don't know why I would have expected anything else, this is nerdfighteria after all :blush:
    Hi @AnFa! I'm also 19. ^_^ What brought you to the forum?

I l was scrolling through the "effyeahnerdfighters" page on tumblr and someone asked about ways to get to know other nerdfighters in their area and among other things, this forum was mentioned. So I thought I might check it out. :)
    Hi @AnFa :)