Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 56
  • MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭
    @AnFa That's really cool! I'm glad you found our little pocket of the internet. ^_^

What's everyone been up to lately? I'm working furiously to get the next issue of The Green Light done by the first while also doing three college summer classes and working, so that's fun. Here's the cover:

"I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    @MontannaPeach that's so cool! I've been away for a while studying Greek and Roman culture without internet, but now I am back to start college applications.

@AnFa Hello and welcome! Sorry I haven't been on in a couple of weeks, but now I'm back on the internet. How are you doing?
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @Bohemamine Hey :)
    Thanks, I'm fine. How about you?

@MontannaPeach That looks cool!

I just finished school, I've applied to university, I read a lot, I've started writing a, let's say, novel-ish thing, though I don't know what that will or will not become someday and I try to improve my French by engaging in stuff in that language. Also I've started to watch CrashCourse Computer Science and I try learning a bit more about physics and stuff. :)
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 205 ✭✭
    @AnFa
    What? Did somebody say physics? I love learning about physics, and that's what I plan on studying in college.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    @AnFa
    Cool! What branches of physics do you like the most?
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 625 ✭✭✭
    PHYSICS IS COOL
    I wanna do physics when I'm grown up.
    Well that and writing books. I'm not too sure but it doesn't really matter to me.
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
    @beepbop1011 Yay, physics!
    Sounds a bit like a drug. "Psh!" *Looks around* *whispers* "Wanna do physics?"

@Yodaboyaz That is a really hard question... I do like Astrophysics a lot, it's interesting to think about how the universe works on a big scale and to learn about the possibilities of worm holes and stuff.
    ...while quantum physics is really hard to understand and has a lot of potential for frustration, it's also just so messed up and crazy, which is why I like that, too.
    ...but then, is any of that actually more interesting than other physics-related stuff? I don't know.... :cold_sweat:

How about you, do you have a favorite branch of physics?
    @beepbop1011
    Yes! Join the club! The "Wanna Do Physics With Your Life Club".
    @AnFa
    The exact two you said. I love astrophysics for the fact that the Universe has "NO EDGE!", and that the observable universe is over 26 billion light years across, and there's so much that you can study. In other words: it's so unimaginably huge!
    Quantum physics is interesting because of the fact that the smaller and smaller you go, the more complex and counterintuitive things become. At a point, you have to worry about quantum tunneling and the fact that that subatomic particle might not be there in a nanosecond or two. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle and the Double Slit Experiment make it even more interesting. In other words: it's so unimaginably tiny!
    @Yodaboyaz it's really nice to have people understand this fascination. :)
    By the way, out of curiosity, how old are you? You said you want to study physics in college, how far in the future is that?
    @AnFa
    It really is nice.
    I am 16 and starting my Junior year (11th grade) of high school. College is two years away.
  • SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 88
    WOW, I SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN OFF FOR AS LONG AS I WAS! PHYSICS HAPPENED!

though I do have a question for you three, am I sufficiently learning physics if I'm using Crash Course, Kahn Academy, The Great Courses Plus, the youtube channel "PBS Space-Time, and a book "Physics demystified a self-teaching guide"? I am genuinely concerned that I am getting what I need to survive college into my head. If you have any resources I haven't mentioned I would greatly appreciate it.
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
    @SkyDoctor are you going into college this year? It kind of depends on what kind of physics you are learning. I took a general honors physics class (which is considered to be the hardest class a junior in my school can take), and it was essentially mech. For that class the teacher gave us a lot of worksheets that I think I can possibly give you a link to if you are interested. Aside from that, the official textbook that we had (but did not use) was Openstax and it is completely free, so there isn't any harm in downloading it. There are a few different Physics textbooks - you can even use the AP one since that is supposed to match up to the college level.

Actually Openstax is great for many different subjects because all of the textbooks are completely free for download or online preview.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    Openstax has good University Physics textbooks but the Precalc and Calc ones are meh. College Physics is good too.
    There are way better Maths textbooks you can find on the internet tho.
    I haven't used any math textbooks from Openstax, just biology and physics. Actually I think so far in high school I've only used a math textbook once.

Do you have any suggestions for BC calc textbooks online @beepbop1011 ?
    Mors vincit omnia.
    Thank you @Bohemamine and @beepbop1011, I'll be starting college next year, and might not be taking a physics course and instead take some prerequisites while I figure out what it is I want to do.
    @SkyDoctor well, depends on how you define "sufficiently learning physics". You said you wanna get what you need to survive college, but isn't it technically the schools job to get you to a level of knowledge from where you can somehow continue in college? Shoudn't it be possible to make it through college if you only know what you learned in school? I mean, it might make it easier if already know this or that, but why should you not "survive" if it is the right subject for you to study?
    Personally, while I haven't watched CrashCourse Physics, I find what I have seen of Crash Course in general to be normally only very basic level knowledge and to be a bit slow paced. I don't now the other things you mentioned so I can't say much to that.
    There is one thing that helped me a lot, but it's in German. The US might have something similar though, so I'm going to tell you anyway. There is something called the International Physics Olympiad to which every participating country can send up to 5 students. How those students are determined varies from country to country. In Germany we have a competition in 4 rounds until from the ~1000 people that where interested in participating only the 5 best are left. I took part in last years competition. The second round consists of supposedly university-level tasks that you have to try and solve on your own with the help of the internet and stuff. I found that I learned a lot of new stuff through that, so I'm using the official internet archive now to get more second round tasks to google and try to understand stuff about. I know that the US is a participant country in that olympiad, too, but I don't know how they determine which students go. But maybe you can find something useful through that. :)
    If someone's wondering, no, I wasn't one of the 5 best students, I didn't make it past the second round. I made 77th place.
    @AnFa
    Wow. That's still really good. 77th in the country? Or your region?
    @AnFa The reason for my concern is I am homeschooled (not for religion) so I basically teach myself with various resources now that I'm learning more than my mother can teach, though you are right I shouldn't be so worried, if it's right for me then it will work, if not I'll find something else. I agree that Crash Course is rather slow and simplistic I use it primarily for introductory purposes. The Physics Olympiad looks so cool! It seems the US chooses competitors through a couple of tests before sending the top 5 to a training camp. Having looked at past entrance tests it would appear to be way out of my league at the present time.
    @Yodaboyaz 77th in the country, one of the 10 best Hessians. (...at least I think it's called Hessia in english, not 100% sure. Hessen in German. One of the Federal Republic of Germany's 16 states, if someone didn't know.)
    Yeah, it's definitely still pretty cool. :) I got a 30€ book voucher for it, a local company offered me an internship and some kind of physics association of a university said if I study at that university, I should message them, there might be the possibility of getting a scholarship. I might not have sounded like it in the last post, but I am/ was really thrilled to have made it that far. :)
    It wasn't the only thing I did extra during my time in school but it was one of the best. I learned a lot by doing that, it gave me a better idea of what I wanted to do after school and I also had some fun doing it. ....and lots of frustration here and there, but also fun. :D
    Has anyone else here ever done some extra stuff like this before? If yes, how did it turn out?

@SkyDoctor Oh, yeah, didn't really think about the possibility of home schooling, it isn't really a thing here... is there somewhere some kind of curriculum or other description of what a school would normally teach/ of what's required for college? Because you can find a lot of things by looking through stuff google has to offer, especially if you know what you're searching for.
    edited July 3
    https://www.whitman.edu/mathematics/multivariable/
    http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html
    https://ocw.mit.edu/resources/res-18-001-calculus-online-textbook-spring-2005/textbook/

@Bohemamine these are pretty good, I don't know how relevant they are to the course you're doing so you might have to skim through them to find the useful parts or maybe they'll just be very relevant from the top. Not sure, just check them out.

@AnFa YOU HAVE A FACE NOW! WOOP!
    by beepbop1011
    @beepbop1011 YES! IT SOMEHOW GREW THERE! HOW DOES THIS WORK?! :cold_sweat:
    @beepbop1011 thank you so much! I should probably start working on calc before I fail it next year.

@SkyDoctor that's so cool that you are homeschooled. My cousin was homeschooled for a year but then he went back to a public high school for sophomore year and somehow he managed to graduate high school sophomore year. If you don't mind me asking, where are you going to college? (I'm still in the process of looking around.)
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @Bohemamine for the first year or two I'm either going to take online courses or go to the local community college, because who cares where you got 101 English?
    @AnFa
    Wow. That's really great! Google is coming up with "Hessa". That's cool, getting scholarships for doing stuff you enjoy. Even through the frustration, I'm sure that you learned a lot.
  • Victhenerdfighter4Victhenerdfighter4 Posts: 11
    Hi my name is Victoria I'm 14 and from New York I'm looking for Nerdfighter friends
    @Victhenerdfighter4
    Welcome to our little niche of Nerdfightaria, Victoria! It's always nice to meet new people here on Our Pants. How did you find this place?
    edited July 4
    Hello @Victhenerdfighter4 welcome
    by SkyDoctor
  • Victhenerdfighter4Victhenerdfighter4 Posts: 11
    @Yodaboyaz I started watching the Vlogbrothers a while ago and I became obsessed with Hank and John which lead to me coming here