Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    @hermionegranger Magical realism is a bit hard to define because it can border or surrealism and other genres, but basically it is a single magical element in a realistic setting. Gabriel García Márquez and Isabel Allende were some of the first magical realism authors. Toni Morrison's "Beloved" is famous (and there's a crash course on it), so are many works by Franz Kafka. I personally really like Haruki Murakami's works a lot even though they are a little bit more fantasy than magical realism.
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 44
    I think I have read some, but I never defined it as magical realism. I will definitely check out some of those authors you recommended.
    A life? Cool! Where can I get one of those?
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 625 ✭✭✭
    Magical realism is basically when magic-y stuff happens and everybody pretends it's normal, and a part of life. Like in Night Vale all the magic stuff is said in a very matter-of-fact tone as if it's to be expected and the whole story is sort of not-based-around-it but also magical realism gives it a path to weave through, kinda?
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
  • smellekensmelleken Posts: 3
    @Bohemamine thank you

@hermionegranger The zamonië series is about the fictious continent zamonia and each book follows and new character on an adventure. There is a lot of world building in the books and sometimes it's more like you are reading an encyclopedia than a novel. But part of the fun of the serie is discovering all the weird places, animals and people in zamonia.
    @smelleken Oh, that's cool. I have never heard of this series, but I am super excited to give it a try.
    I love the the number of bookish people on this forum. It just takes me to my happy place, talking about books with other book nerds.
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 445
    So that's Magical realism. I've always found magical realism mildly off putting. Largely because I hate reading a book and not knowing how the magic works because it's rarely explained properly. Further, I dislike not clearly knowing when something happening is extraordinary.

Oh it's you, that familiar pain in my chest.

Oh it's you, that familiar stab through the breast.

I loved you,  it was doomed from the start.

I loved you, holder of the key to my heart.

• AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 56
    @smelleken welcome! @Bohemamine I looked up magical realism and Walter Moers' books, but both doesn't really seem like my cup of tea. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

I normally read a lot of Urban Fantasy/ Contemporary Fantasy, for example the whole Percy-Jackson-universe by Rick Riordan or the Shadowhunter books by Cassandra Clare.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 206 ✭✭
    So many new posts!
    @maybedeadcats
    I think that I will read TATWD and see if I like it. If so, I'll start reading his other books.
    I also love the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment. It enables me to say things to my friends like: "Here are two identical shakers. One has salt. The other has pepper. I don't know which one is which. Therefore both of them are in a superposition of salt and pepper. Therefore, this shaker has only one substance in it, but it has both salt and pepper.".
    @smelleken
    PHYSICS! I mean. Welcome! I am really interested in physics; it's what I want to study in college. I done know what field, but I want my career to be in physics.
    @beepbop1011
    That sounds really interesting. I like the concept that the characters don't find anything amiss. I think that that is why I love Star Wars. It is so different from our society, but it is normal for the characters.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    What is everyone's favorite genre/author/books? (I might need some book suggestions because I don't have much to read right now)
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • tuttitutti Posts: 21
    I just looked up the Schrodinger cat theory and I am equally amazed and confused. Its so strange. I know a lot of people are starting school now so best wishes! I'm already three quarters through the school year.
    (Also I'm kinda new so excuse any awkwardness)
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 445
    edited September 5
    @Bohemamine
    I enjoy fantasy and hard or military sci-fi. For fantasy I would have to recommend the Sanctuary series and anything by that author. Dark fantasy I would currently recommend the half-orcs.

Military sci fi i have to recommend the merkiaari wars and theirs not to reason why. I haven't read any good hard sci fi in a while, so I can't recommend anything currently.
    Don't get put off by the term "military" or "hard" the books are significantly more than dumb action or boring space flight.

Hard sci-fi is regular sci-fi, but all the physics are way closer to realistic. And as they say, limitations inspire creativity. They're often written by people with actual degrees in physics or astronomy
    by the_one_on_the_left

• sackclothandaisiessackclothandaisies What does this do? texasPosts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @everyone JOHN's FIRST CHAPTER, I am the only one shook, because the to real narrative. Like omg I am excited and omg.
    @Bohemamine my favorite genre, is I guess everyday novel, like John's books. I am honestly not a big Si-FY fan or real fantasy. I really enjoy the works of The Lost generation, and some early writings. OH and I love Historical books, fictional or not.
    Tell me what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
  • SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 88
    edited September 6
    @maybedeadcats So far I like it, I'm less than 1/4 the way through and it seems to take the myths and tell them in a story like maner rather than the traditional myth style.
    @smelleken @tutti Welcome, hello :)
    by SkyDoctor
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
  • SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 88
    @the_one_on_the_left
    *reads what you said on hard sci-fi*
    huh, that sounds cool
    *does google search*
    THIS IS THE BEST THING!

@Bohemamine my favorites have to be fantasy and non-fic science books, though I think hard sci-fi might make it onto the list soon
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
    @tutti
    Welcome! The Schrödinger's cat theory was really what got me interested in the field of Quantum Physics. I'm glad you share some of my fascination in it
    @Yodaboyaz thanks. I'm definitely inspired to find out more about quantum physics now, but i dont really know much about physics because we haven't done a lot of it at school. Science is one of my favourite subjects though
    I am into a lot of things: fantasy, realistic fic, historical fic and non-fic, whatever I pick up, really. The Simon Bloom series is really good sci-fi, if anyone is looking for that. I haven't read them in quite a while, but that's what I remembered when @the_one_on_the_left mentioned hard sci-fi, although it really isn't hard sci-fi.
    @sackclothandaisies I am also SUPER EXCITED for TAtWD. I was thrilled to hear the first chapter, and now I am eagerly awaiting the book.
    @tutti Welcome!
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 15
    @Bohemamine Thanks! Good luck to you too! Also, is Landline by Rainbow Rowell magical realism? It's in our world but it has a magical phone. Also, I have SO many book recs if you want them! What genres do you like?
    @sackclothandaisies Thank you! I hope you have a good school year too! ALSO WHAT JOHN'S FIRST CHAPTER IS ON YOUTUBE?? I completely forgot!!!
    @SkyDoctor That's interesting! Mythology is so cool to see in stories, and especially to see how the authors have altered the myths.
    @tutti Yay! Dead cat thought experiments! It's okay if you're awkward, I am extremely so especially at large, conventional social events (School dances are my mortal enemy). How is your school year going?
    @Yodaboyaz Yay! I hope you like Turtles. The salt shaker thing is funny, I love the theory so much. It's interesting that it's so famous, because Schrodinger actually thought the theory was ridiculous, he used it to prove that quantum physics was philosophically disturbing and turned to writing about biology.
    @the_one_on_the_left @sackclothandaisies @SkyDoctor @maybedeadcats thanks for the recommendations! I will check them out when I can. If you want to know, I have recently been reading a few Murakami books (1Q84 is my favorite, but I also read Kafka on the Shore and After Dark) and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, which is fantastic as well.

Also for you guys who like history books, what time period do you like? I read a really great book about the end of the Bronze Age called 1177BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @maybedeadcats
    I like turtles. I like John Green. I like philosophically interesting works. I see every reason why I should like TatWD!
    I did not know that about Schrödinger. That is very interesting, and ironic. His theory is now the most well known quantum theory. That and the wave-particle duality of light.

You know that you are a math nerd when you are staying up late creating equations in order to find the number of loops on a bow grip given the length of the string. :P
    @maybedeadcats dont worry, school dances are my mortal enemy too. My school year is not going that great with exam pressure and all that stuff. Turtles all the way down helps with motivation though:) how's school for you?
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 15
    @tutti It's okay! I just started at a new school last week, so that was scary. I freaked out a bit the first day when I first came, but I talked to one of the people I met at summer school (also a nerdfighter, by the way!!!) and I had some classes with her so I was able to calm down after that. I have a lot of homework for the program I'm in, which is annoying, but besides that it's been okay for me. (I'm disappointed that auto-correct on here doesn't accept nerdfighter as a word. Oh well.) I'm sorry your year isn't going well.

@Yodaboyaz It's extremely ironic, and kinda sad that the thing he is most known for (except maybe his electron cloud model) is the thing he was trying to disprove. On a happier note, I also like turtles and John Green and philosophically interesting works and I CANNOT WAIT FOR TAtWD!!!!

@everyone Did you hear about John and Hank's TAtWD tour?
    @tutti I hope your year gets better. Right now I'm starting to work on college applications, which isn't too stressful right now, but I'm not prepared to be rejected from all the schools...

@maybedeadcats Yep I heard about it, but don't think I'll be able to go because I don't think it goes anywhere near me also I probably wouldn't have the time because AP classes don't wait for anyone.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @maybedeadcats Im glad you found someone nice to hang with, good luck at your new school.
    @Bohemamine I'm sure you'll do fine, best wishes!
    edited September 11
    @maybedeadcats
    It is a bit sad. But seeing as how he was a physicist, I think that he would be glad that he helped to further the field of quantum physics.
    TatWD sounds so interesting! I can't wait to read it (after my library gets a copy and after the waiting list drops below 100 people, and after I finally get it :P).
    @tutti
    Your profile picture looks really interesting. What is it of?
    by Yodaboyaz
    @Yodaboyaz It is a picture of the monogram of the alphabet (well, part of it). The whole thing can be traced to have every single letter of the alphabet and all the numbers from 1 to 9. There's a great gif that shows it.
    That sucks that you have to go through a waiting list to read TatWD. I am so excited, especially after hearing the first chapter.
    @tutti
    What is a monogram?
    @tutti I really like your profile picture! Mine is kind of boring... oh well maybe I'll change it if I ever get a good picture...

Also I've officially been on this forum for 1 year now!
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @Bohemamine congratulations. May you stay on this forum for years to come.

Congratulations @Bohemamine !
    If anyone on this forum lives in the general area where Hurricane Irma hit, I hope you are doing okay and you are safe.
    Hurricanes seem quite distant when you are safe, there is no effect on you, but I live in the general north Georgia area, and hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico typically have no effect on us. School has been cancelled for the last two days because of Irma. This morning, two trees fell over in my backyard, causing me to realize how very dangerous hurricanes really were. If two trees fell over in my backyard, what is it like in Florida, or the keys, or the Bahamas? Anyways I hope anyone in the vicinity of the Gulf is safe.