Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 91
    edited September 12
    @EveryOneWhoWasApartOfThis It's interesting that even the double slit experiment was constructed by Einstine an attempt to disprove quantum mechanics that turned out to have the opposite result to that which he expected.

@everyone *before* pretty excited about TAtWD. *After hearing the first chapter* I CANNOT WAIT THIS IS THE BEST THING!

@Bohemamine Congrats!

@hermionegranger It is scary to realize that with stronger storms those who were previously safe may not be and how fast mother nature will remind the human's who's in charge.

also on the topic of school dances, I don't mean to brag but I think I've scored the hottest date for the prom...sure it's myself because LITERALLY, no one else goes to my school, but hey at least I'll get the best dancer award :blush:
    by SkyDoctor
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
  • tuttitutti Posts: 46
    @Yodaboyaz a monogram is a symbol that contains two or more letters, and the monogram of the alphabet is a symbol that contains every single letter. I love it because it is basically every book I have ever read.
    @Bohemamine thanks, but I really like yours too. It seems so mysterious. Congratulations for being here for one whole year!
    @hermionegranger that sounds scary having two trees fall over in your backyard, I hope everyone in your area is safe. I'm in Australia so I didn't know much about Irma but what has been shown on the news is pretty terrifying. Good luck anyone who is being directly affected, we are still sending hope your way on the other side of the planet.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 227 ✭✭
    @tutti
    That's really cool.
    @Quantum Physics
    Several experiments have tried to disprove something, but end up proving it. That's one thing I like about science. You can prove yourself wrong, and that's good.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
  • SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 91
    @Quantum Physics Found this today. My brain hurts.
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
    @TurtlesAllTheWayDown
    I just put TatWD on hold at my library! I am number 10 on the waiting list for three copies of the book! I thought there would be so many more reservations!
    @SkyDoctor
    I'm a big fan of MinutePhysics, but I have not seen that video. Thanks for showing it.
    Quantum physics is full of so many contradictions that defy all conventional logic.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces recyclable trash texasPosts: 449 ✭✭✭
    @everyone you are all a bunch of science nerds *tries to understand all that my mind is like "at what airspeed velocity is my mind spinning"* ,but have you checked out It's Okay to be Smart, it's a science youtube channel and I love it.
    I am literally SO EXITED ABOUT TURTLES.
    @Bohemamine Congrats for being here a year, it hasn't felt like it!
    @SkyDoctor congrats on the prom, I am going single because there is like 5 boys in my whole school lol. ( there is more than that, but whatever)

“You're both the fire and the water that extinguishes it. You're the narrator, the protagonist, and the sidekick. You're the storyteller and the story told. You are somebody's something, but you are also your you.”
    ― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 473 ✭✭
    @sackclothandaisies I have, but the presentation style didn't sit well with me.

The most underrated YouTube channels I'm subscribed to are "Joseph Anderson" and "Today I Found Out."
    The first is a long form video game reviewer who's videos are incredibly thorough, high quality, reasonable opinions, and conclusions.
    The second channel is less high quality production per video, but the research quality in them is about the highest I've seen and you feel properly informed about inconsequential topics.
    I don’t know if I’m smart. I do however, consider myself fairly knowledgeable and logical, which is a decent substitute at least.
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 21
    @sackclothandaisies :) If we weren't all a bunch of nerds we wouldn't be here! ALSO OH MY GOD TURTLES. I'm still trying to get over the fact that I'm not going to be able to see John and Hank because tickets sold out already, but I'm so excited for it anyway, and also there's a release party in a bookstore that I love, so hopefully I'll be able to go to that.
    @SkyDoctor Good luck at your dance! I'd vote for you and yourself as best dancers. Also, that minute physics video is so cool! My brain hurts too.
    @everyone Please let me know if you guys ever want YA fiction book reccomendations, I have a bunch.
    *sees new notification*
    You have earned the First Anniversary badge.
    *jaw drop*
    It does not at all seem like I have been here for a year. Than you all for making this past year so interesting. I've been here an year, and I plan on staying many more.
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 473 ✭✭
    @Yodaboyaz congratulations. The time seems to disappear, doesn't it.

I think about suicide a surprising amount, considering how much I enjoy my life and have to live for. Note, I say "think about" not, "consider." It's just a general fascination of mine I guess. I find myself wondering what people would think, if anyone would be blamed. Who would find me, how it would affect people. Oh, and of course I think about whether suicide is morally "wrong." Is it selfish, or is everyone else selfish. Such hard questions, and I suspect the answers are only within oneself, entirely dependent on the person.

Well there's your random thought of the day. It doesn't provoke any particular emotion in me, beyond an entertaining thinking exercise I find myself occasionally drifting into when I'm bored. I wonder what that says about me as person. Probably nothing, the human mind is notoriously complicated.

I feel like I should say something cheerful here to encourage a conversation instead of that awkward avoidance most people partake in when an undesirable topic such as death or suicide comes up. But perhaps this end word in itself will gather more engagement on its own merits. Any happy words would be lies anyway, the topic isn't one that upsets me, so I find no reason to force a cheery attitude.
    I don’t know if I’m smart. I do however, consider myself fairly knowledgeable and logical, which is a decent substitute at least.
    @Yodaboyaz congratulations!
    @the_one_on_the_left wow, that was certainly unexpected. It sounds strange but I do the same, but I used to think about it a lot more than I do now. I find myself thinking about how we are all just tiny living organisms on a world with billions of tiny living organisms in a universe of trillions of things beyond our imagination, so if we were to die it wouldn't really matter. It would though, in its own way, because just because we don't matter to the universe it doesn't mean we don't matter at all. Or maybe it does. Death sometimes disturbs me greatly, but others it has no affect on me. I don't usually talk to others about it because they might feel uncomfortable or concerned.
    Personally, I don't think suicide is selfish or wrong. People who do commit it feel hopeless and usually suffer from a mental illness like depression so it isn't their fault. Saying it is wrong would only make those who are suicidal worse and therefore more likely to take their life.
    I'm glad you enjoy your life though, and I sincerely hope thinking about suicide doesn't negatively impact you. I'm not really sure if it impacts me or not.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
    *takes note of very important conversation I am going to partake in when I have more time*
    @Yodaboyaz YAY for the year, I remember when both you and @Bohemamine joined. I am glad you are still here. I love you guys!
    “You're both the fire and the water that extinguishes it. You're the narrator, the protagonist, and the sidekick. You're the storyteller and the story told. You are somebody's something, but you are also your you.”
    okay, I am ready.
    @the_one_on_the_left so we haven't, at least on my time here, discussed mental illness or suicide or really even sadness that much. I am glad you did, though because this should be a place for all conversation, and to be welcome whatever.
    soooo on the topic of suicide, I have a lot of brain power on the idea of suicide. I don't think I am suicidal, it just happens, you know. "Would people miss me?", etc. Life is such a big strange thing, and the matter of human significance is so big, or maybe small, considering how small we really are. We are made also mostly out of microbes, so what is a human? What is the value of all the rest not microbe? Then it's what? Tissue?
    I don't know. I am bad about talking about this stuff.
    and on a different and lighter note
    @maybedeadcats TURTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I live in Texas, so i can't see them, but I ordered my copy. AND I AM SO EXCITED!!!!
    *nerding out*
    edited September 18
    @tutti It is always fascinating to think about how vast the universe is, and how little we know of everything. Even nihilism has that flaw, perhaps one persons death really does matter. Until we know how absolutely everything works, we don't know for certain how anything truly does.
    I guess it's wrong to say it doesn't affect me at all. It puts me in a mildly grim and morbid mindset, but it doesn't make me sad or depress me.

I'm not convinced that saying suicide is wrong -with convincing reasons- will increase rates. For some, knowing the reasons may stop them, knowing it's a negative impact on others is often cited as a reason -online- someone doesn't commit it. However, I think such a stigma would hurt the families and friends of victims of suicide far too much. Also, I don't think suicide victims are always entirely blameless. If you kill someone else when mentally ill, but not completely insane, nobody says "it's not their fault at all." The sentence is often lessened, but not forgiven. After all, it's still a choice one makes. I'm not saying it's something to feel angry towards them for, but it's irresponsible to solely blame everyone but them. Sometimes -maybe rarely- it truly will be a bad combination of choices that nobody close to them could reasonably prevent, such is how the randomness of life goes. I think suicide is somewhat selfish as it's only for oneself, but that's ok. You should live for yourself first and foremost. When you're depressed and with no prospective improvement and your existence is only for others, I can't begrudge you escape. However, if you haven't exercised any such selfishness to make yourself happy up to that point, then I'd certainly question your logic in not trying regular selfishness first.

On a side note, I really love talking about complex topics to get everyone's opinions. Me and my closest friends have a group chat and occasionally we debate the morality or how everyone feels about something. It's incredibly nice to see all the different perspectives, although we all lean in *roughly* about the same ideological-political-whatever else you can think of, directions. Possibly because we've grown up together for a couple years. It's interesting to see where we differ, and if someone else's perspective changes our own. Often, we might start out at pretty different views on a debate, but we generally agree to within a couple degrees about something by the end. @everyone do you have anyone you discuss and debate with?

Also, @everyone don't feel like you have to chime in or respond if you're not comfortable or something. Having even one response makes me happy to see interaction and conversation. It's not my place to rain on the awesomeness of nerdfighteria for you if this is troubling. If you don't like this conversation, don't participate. Start up a separate topic, completely unrelated, free pass. Also, I want this thread to live, and death often kills, funnily enough.

@sackclothandaisies I spent so long crafting this message your most recent ones weren't up. So here's your space in it. This should be a place for conversation, but I do understand that not everyone desires such conversations, and that's okay. So in a now mildly related note, enjoy your copy of the book. I won't be reading it, as previously mentioned, john doesn't write in a genre appealing to me.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    edited September 19
    I think that it is healthy to periodically have discussions about heavy topics. That way we can lift a bit of the taboo, suicide especially. Now to my opinion.
    I have been told by many people that committing suicide is shameful and selfish, but I'm not convinced of that. In some situations, it could be seen as selfish, but I don't think it would ever be shameful. I often think about (not consider) suicide. I have never seriously considered doing it, but sometimes I get random thoughts. I suppose they could be called intrusive thought because it doesn't feel like me thinking about it, but they don't take over my mind like others' intrusive thoughts do. I sometimes think: "Hey, I could jump off this ledge and my life would be over." or: "I could take one step to the right into oncoming traffic and not have to take the Calc test tomorrow.". Sometimes these thoughts startle or even frighten me, but most of the time I ponder it a while and disregard them. Most of the times when I ponder those thoughts, I think about how it would affect the people I know. How would my mom react? What would my dad think to be the cause? How would my sister cope? What would my friends think? Who would show up to my funeral? Would I be buried or cremated? Sometimes it becomes a bit egotistical. How would the future of science be affected? Again, I have never once actually felt the urge to commit suicide, but it is intriguing to me: why do I decide to continue to live? Is there any reason to stop? In the grand scheme of the Universe, it would not matter if the bundle of atoms called Nathaniel kept being called Nathaniel, or if that bundle was called "ashes". But then again, nothing matters in the scope of the Universe. The Universe is a place with no sentience of its own. Then I realize that we, humans, are the sentience of the Universe. And as far as we know, we are the only sentient beings, so that means that humans are the only things that can place value in things. We place value on life, love, relationships, experiences, knowledge. So in the end, the only things that matter in the Universe, an infinite place with uncountable things, are those that we value. I value friendship, family, the pursuit of knowledge, laughter, quality time with friends, and cats. Therefore, those are all of the things worth living for.
    I now realize that this has been entirely the philosophical musings of my inner monologue. I hope that someone has gotten something from that.
    And thank you everyone for your kind words about my anniversary. This place is one of the things that I place value on. Thank you for making it worth putting value in.
    by Yodaboyaz
    edited September 19
    @Yodaboyaz you expressed my thoughts near perfectly. Your experience seems to reflect with my own, along with your conclusions. It's refreshing to look at someone's thoughts and see a near mirror image of your own. It brings comfort in a world where simply expressing one's pure inner thoughts is rare, more often those thoughts are formed and presented as opinions and stances. It reminds me that although you're a great distance from me and you live a separate life, we're still so very human, together.

I always find the musings of one's inner dialogue to be fascinating, for what better way to know and understand someone than to listen to their thoughts. I enjoy sharing mine, as I did to start this thread, because of the raw, genuine, honesty that is inherently contained within such things. It's one way to find interesting people. Finding those that will, on occasion, delve into the hypothetical rational irrationalist scramble -if that makes sense- of thought.

I wonder what John would get out of this conversation we're having. It's a pity we won't find out.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    @Yodaboyaz @the_one_on_the_left You just described my thoughts exactly. If we compare our lives to the universe it is easy to feel worthless, but if we look at our lives in a different way they really do mean something. I think John would be happy to know we're having an actual intelligent conversation on the internet. One of the reasons I love Nerdfighteria is because everyone is so thoughtful.
    @sackclothandaisies I AM FREAKING OUT ABOUT ABOUT TURTLES!! i just found out that my school is doing a sports gala day on October 10, so I can have the day off when its released (there is no way I'm going to a sports gala day).
    Well don't I lead an interesting life. My ex has texted me after ghosting me for two months. If that happened to you, how would you guys react? Using whatever context or scenario you envision as the most likely for your life.
    @the_one_on_the_left depends on the situation. Do you like them? Do they like you? Did you miss them? Would they take advantage of you? I hope it goes well, it sucks when people do that.
    I have had a lot of friends "ghost me" and if they texted me suddenly I would probably let them back into my life instantly. That's just because I'm desperate for friends though.
    Hope all goes well!
    @Yodaboyaz you have a really great way of stating things that make sense. Your comment was perfect, I think .
    @the_one_on_the_left I am glad this is a place we can be open, about our lives. Often society outside of the internet, and inside even, is a place were no one can struggle or have issues. On the question you posed, i can't be that helpful because I have never been in a relationship. I have had friends ghost me though and then when they suddenly become responsive, I found it hurtful, especially if you are just trying to move on without them, but you know friends are good too. and @tutti questions help
    @tutti that's cool! my copy is coming on Oct. 13th so I am happy!
    @everyone I like being able to talk about self narrative, especially because it seems mine is so hard to communicate, and because I have ADD. I am just a huge, I guess, people nerd. I am terrible at communicating but seeing others lives, and narratives just make me excited. That's why I love books and History so much.
    edited September 19
    @tutti oh I certainly love them, at least as friend still. And they love me still, as more. They would never take advantage of me, they're far too kind for that.
    I wouldn't know anything about making friends, this person is the only person I've made as a friend since elementary school. My core friend group has been around with me for about 7 or 8 years now. In my experience though, having common interests to converse about is the best way to find someone. Unless you're me and got lucky and met someone you absolutely love through random omegle chats, but that's not a recommended strategy.

@sackclothandaisies my question wasn't to ask for advice, I will slowly mull the problem over and come to a conclusion or at least understand my feelings better. I genuinely was just curious as to other's thoughts on what they'd do.

@everyone I enjoy then recent uptick in activity.

by the_one_on_the_left
    I take back what I said about the activity.
    Also, I went for a 6 hour hike today that was quite tough for my fitness level. I expected an 11 km hike, it was 18.
    @everyone do you people hike or something?
    @the_one_on_the_left welcome to the irregularities of Our Pants. i don't ever hike, but I am also really busy all the time.
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    Oh wow I missed so much! Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I've just been getting by with 4 AP classes. I would have stuff to say about the previous discussion, but I might avoid that for now due to time constraints.

@the_one_on_the_left I do like hiking! I don't do it often because it is kind of flat around where I live and the state I live in is essentially endless suburbs.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    Also since we seem to be talking about deeper issues, I want to ask for some advice. I was reminded with the ghosting/texting thing. So I used to be really close friends with this one person, but last year I started to kind of drift away from them. But then near the end of the year I found out that the person had started rumors and said really nasty things about me behind my back - even going so far as to post hurtful things about me on social media (all of which I found out later). I don't want to be friends with this person because obviously they were really nasty to me, but the problem is that this person is still in some of my classes. When I see them in my classes I kind of get a sour taste in my mouth or just a generally bad feeling.

So my question is do you have any advice for how to kind of get over that feeling and move on? I have made other friends so I don't think it's jealousy, but I want to stop being bitter/still feel hurt by what happened.

Sorry if this was unwelcome.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @sackclothandaisies It's weird because I'm an introvert, but I also really like to watch people, learn about how people live, and history, too! What is your favorite time period of history to study?
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @Bohemamine EXACTLY I am like ohhh humans! now let me not talk to them but listen to them. I love like all of History, but I really like revolutions, like the French and America, and the early 1900's. But I really love them all, I am a huge History nerd, I think that's what I want to major in.
    As for your ummm conundrum (?), I can relate. A few years ago my closest friend, which I had literally just helped as much as I can out of depression and suicidal thoughts, just like left. I go to a tiny school, so I have literally all my classes with her, and there is really no one else to talk to because I was best friends for like 6 years, and everyone else has had friends like that too . I have moved on and things like Our Pants has helped immensely, now me and her are okay. But really all you can do as far as my experience is give it time, and try not to listen, do the things you love and be who you are, you don't have to fell hurt, because none of that is true, and I assume it's not your fault. That's what helped me, and punk music and lots of studying of History so maybe? I am sorry if that's not much help.
    @the_one_on_the_left wow, that is a LOT of hiking. I don't really hike that much but I do a bit in the Blue Mountains with some family friends every time I go there, and the bush is usually really pretty (for those non-Australians the blue mountains is in the Great Dividing Range). I don't really do much sport though because I get really anxious when doing things I'm not good at in public.
    @Bohemamine good luck with your classes! That's really sad your friend left you like that especially in such a mean way. My advice is to just be kind to yourself, because if they did something like that its probably got more to do with them than it does with you. It feels awful when people do that but the feeling will go away with time. A best friend of mine just left me, although she didn't really say anything nasty to me. She just left me without telling me why. She is also in most of my classes and I even sit next to her in one because we have a permanent seating plan, and I find that really tough.
    @sackclothandaisies Same, I love people but I absolutely hate communicating with them. Often when I'm hanging out with people they think I'm bored if I'm really quiet, but I can't exactly say to them "No, I'm just really fascinated by your ways of communication." Oh well. I also like history, especially the American revolution, although that says more about Hamilton than it does about me.
    edited September 22
    @Bohemamine if possible, you could ask a counsellor to switch them out of your classes (ideally). or you out, if possible/practical and what you want. Alternatively, you could approach this person and ask for answers, perhaps they believe you committed some great wrong and deserve it. Another solution might be to kill them, though that's highly risky and carries a significant punishment if carried out improperly and you get caught.
    I'm my honest layman's opinion, you sound like you need closure. You need to know why, for then you will understand their actions and can know how you should feel. Right now it seems you just feel betrayed for no good reason, and that hurts. If you at least knew why it all happened and how they feel, you could brush them off as misguided hatred or as just a toxic person you don't want, or something else entirely.
    by the_one_on_the_left