Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    @sackclothandaisies @tutti Thanks so much guys, it really means a lot

@the_one_on_the_left I kind of know what happened. So we are in this select choir and both of us were running for the president and I believe they started spreading rumors about me to possibly affect the outcome of the final decision or maybe from jealousy because they thought I was more likely to become president (which I am now... possibly causing more resentment). And the choir is the class we share. And thank you for your input as well

also @sackclothandaisies I love the french revolution!!! I read all of Les Miserables and that also got me more into french revolution/napoleon era history. I don't know if I'm going to be a history major in college, but I'm definitely considering it. I also love bronze age history for no apparent reason.
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 233 ✭✭
    @the_one_on_the_left
    I love hiking. I love in a big city, so almost all of the good hiking places are at least an hour and a half drive away. All except for one: South Mountain. It's an easy to medium (depending on which trail) difficulty desert mountain. It's a few blocks away from my grandparent's house. I have so many fond memories of hikes there with my dad. But then you drive a few hours north and you get all of these great forest and creek trails.
    @Bohemamine
    I am very similar. I am introverted and enjoy observing people. It just happens that most of the time, those people are my friends. A lot of the time that ends up with me awkwardly standing slightly off to the side listening to everyone's conversations.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces reveling in paradox and satire TexasPosts: 465 ✭✭✭
    @Bohemamine I am glad I could be of some help. AND OMG don't anyone get my started on the French revolution
    @everyoneonthetopicofbeingabitofanintrovert yeah a lot of my "friends" think I don't care, but really I just like communication,.
    @alsoeveryone it is really ironic that we were talking about friends leaving, because literally yesterday, I talked her and found something out that changed everything sooo.
    Okay I have a topics to bring up.
    1. EVERYONE HANKS BOOK! WOOOOOOOOO? or what?

"Urge and urge and urge,
    Always the procreant urge of the world"
    - Walt Whitman
  • tuttitutti Posts: 61
    @sackclothandaisies sounds interesting, I hope whatever your friend said that changed everything was good.
    Also HANKS BOOK!!!!!!
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 492 ✭✭
    edited September 23
    I love the internet and how it gives me the ability to learn more. Namely, I enjoy youtube and patreon, enabling smaller but higher quality informwtive videos to exist for a smaller but dedicated audience. I love the critical thinking fostered by these resources I have access to. It's amazing how much they benefit me me as a person. My critical thinking skills have been heavily fostered by channels like healthcare triage (which everyone here should know about) because they regularly bring up flaws and clear inconsistencies in diets and policies and such. I've learned that it's generally good to go with what seems to make sense and makes you feel good, because the guidelines have a lot of practice to catch up to evolution. I've learned to always question and always inspect. Nearly everything should have really simple and probable logic behind it, rarely is the answer genuinely too complex for the reason to not be easily explainable.

Enjoy that 3:00 am ramble! Also it's 3:00 am ask excuse grammatical and spelling msitakes, no proofreading today
    by the_one_on_the_left
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 21
    @everyone who was involved in the conversation about introverts and reading
    I agree that even though I have trouble with what might be mild anxiety and feel about one hundred times more comfortable with a book then a large group of people, my book choices are largely YA realistic fiction. I think books help me feel less alone, and less disconnected. You know the Paper towns quote " You have to stop looking at the sky because one day you're going to look down and see you floated away, too"? I love that quote to pieces and it's true in many facets of my life, but not with reading. Reading brings me back down, and makes me feel less scared of what's below me.
    @sackclothandaisies
    Thanks for posting about Hank's book! I had no idea, I'm so excited now!
    @sackclothandaisies I am so pumped for Hank's book!!!! do you know when it can be pre-ordered/when it officially comes out?
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @the_one_on_the_left I absolutely agree. I often hear adults complain about how technology is making us stupid but I have learnt so much from the internet that I never could have without it. As grateful as I am for that insightful 3 am rant,I sincerely hope you have been able to catch up on sleep.
    @maybedeadcats 'Reading brings me back down, and makes me feel less scared of what's below me'. WOW. that is such a great way of describing it.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 492 ✭✭
    @tutti well here I am at 2 am, so it's slightly better! The real reason I'm up so late is to text someone I cherish who unfortunately lives 10 hours ahead of me, possibly the worst time zone difference for me ever. Their after school-evening I'm dead asleep, my morning they're moments from sleeping. My entire day they're sleeping. My evening until I sleep is the only chance we have to talk usually, and even then it's often only between their classes for short blurbs. Literally never a good moment. Even weekends barely provide much, as we're still sleeping for at least 2/3 of the 48 hour period. Oh, and their school week is Sunday to Thursday, meaning that 48 hour period is gimped af and only one real day.

Enjoy that 2 am rant about Time Zones, Sleep, and Texting!
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
    I'm so excited! I'm going to an Imagine Dragons concert tonight! This'll be my first concert.
  • NotGreenJohnNotGreenJohn Posts: 10
    @Yodaboyaz That is really awesome!! Imagine Dragons is one of my favorite bands. I was lucky enough to see them when they did there smoke and mirrors tour a few years ago. It was my first concert too and was a great time. They really know how to put on a show! Have fun
    @Yodaboyaz How was it? I'm not too familiar with Imagine Dragons, but I do like a few of their songs a lot.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @NotGreenJohn @Bohemamine
    It was great! The (warm-up?) acts were an interesting choice, but Imaging Dragons was amazing. I wasn't at all close to the band, but I had a great view. They put on a great performance. For the more acoustic songs, they set up a stage at the back of the arena to be able to engage more of the audience. It was a great way to experience great music with my family. And Dan, the lead singer, had some really heartfelt things to say.
    @the_one_on_the_left yay, one hour earlier! That sucks they live so far away.
    @Yodaboyaz The concert sounds great. I know a few Imagine Dragons songs which are good and they would probably be a great band to see perform. I've never been to a concert before but I almost went to one for The Lumineers. They were performing at the Opera House which has great acoustics, but they sold out a day before I found out about it.
    @everyone I tried to log in to my account for Our Pants on my laptop but after I signed in it would say I wasn't actually signed in yet. I have to write this on my phone. Has this happened to anyone else?
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces reveling in paradox and satire TexasPosts: 465 ✭✭✭
    @everyone something is messed up with my school's connection to this site, and my USERNAME CHANGED!!!!!!!!!!! I am upset. So that's why I haven't been on, not because my user name changed, it wouldn't let me login. @tutti I just read you message that's not what happened to me, but yeah Our Pants is messing up.
    @Yodaboyaz congrats on the first concert. I have heard a few imagine dragons songs, so that sounds nice!
    @the_one_on_the_left I have that same problem, considering like my closest friend lives in Australia. It sucks.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman
    @tutti
    They put on quite a good show. Their finale performance of Radioactive was amazing.
    The Lumineers have some good songs. That would have been cool to go to.
    @ohalltheplaces
    Oh no about the name change.
    Thanks. I had a really good time.
    @ohalltheplaces that sucks about the change of your username, it sounds kinda like something from Dr Seuss. the problem I was having with logging on is over now so yay! It's so sad how everyone has close friends really far away. One of my best friends recently moved to Queensland and I would have to take an aeroplane to see her, and I miss her a lot.
    @Yodaboyaz Radioactive is such a great song to play for the finale, my brother used to be obsessed with it.
    @tutti
    It is. And what was even cooler was that they left, but the lights stayed down. Then a few minutes later they came back and played Believer as an encore. Believer is the first song of their new album that I heard and probably my favorite.
  • SkyDoctorSkyDoctor Exoplanet HD 189733bPosts: 91
    Wow there has been a lot of activity while I've been away. Books! Philosophy! Music! I hope to take part in some of the conversations when I have more time. Gtg my train stops is here.:)
    memento mori igitur memento vivere
    @tutti this is Dr. Seuss, but I MISS MY OLD ONE I had it for almost 2 years now. But yeah having close friends in far away places really sucks. I wish I could just hop on a plane and see them, or at least talk to them regularly.
    @SkyDoctor yeah we are rather active lately, it makes me happy.
    @Yodaboyaz I think you said you are good at Physics, and I am taking it. I really suck at it lol. I am a serious Biology person.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman
    @ohalltheplaces I dislike biology. In my experience it was all about knowing a bunch of random terms and being able to identify the different parts of the cell. I think I just never had a good bio teacher. I never took Physics, but I have always loved Chemistry whenever I took it. It was way less knowing terms and a lot more of doing stuff.
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 84
    @NotGreenJohn yes, in my experience biology was always just learning stuff by heart with barely ever having to actually understand something. An exception was the time when we did genetics, but otherwise I always found that really boring and didn't really like it. In ohysics on the ither hand, knowing stuff by heart only gets you so far and if you actually understood something, you didn't have to know much about it by heart. I like physics far, far more. Chemistry can be really cool, too.
    @tutti I actually frequently had that problem with logging in. It didn't always tell me I wasn't logged in, but sometimes, especially when I didn't clear my browser history after the last time I logged in. Now I just always do that and nearly never have that problem anymore. But you said the problem was solved, so you probably didn't need that information anymore...

@Yodaboyaz Cool, an imagine dragons concert! I also like some of their songs, though the amount of times I've heard "thunder" being played on the radio recently gets a bit on my nerves already...
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 62
    @NotGreenJohn I actually really like biology. My aunt got her PhD in molecular biology, and she talks about it with so much love that I can't help but love it too. Also, the fact that we exist is just SO unlikely. My dad has been listening to an audiobook lately called A Short History of Nearly Everything I am generally not a huge fan of nonfiction authors. The writing style simply doesn't appeal to me, but the author describes it almost as a story. I digress, but the point is that I really like biology to understand life and how and why it exists. Most of the time in school, the teachers don't really teach so that students care, they just teach so that we pass the test. I wish teachers could teach what was interesting instead of teaching to the test. I enjoy physics, but I am also not particularly good at understanding it. Everything is so mind-blowing in physics.
    @ohalltheplaces I recently read Paper Towns, and I saw Lacey's username, and I thought, "What is sackclothanddaisies doing here?" It sucks that it changed.
    @SkyDoctor I didn't recognize you for a second since you changed your profile picture. Do you do archery?
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
    @hermionegranger that's so cool you have an Aunt to talk biology with. I don't particularly enjoy biology but it is still very interesting. Any field of science is interesting to me because it is literally the study of how things work they way they do, and while I don't enjoy all of them it is easy to appreciate their complexity.
    If teachers taught subjects in an interesting way school would be so much better. Instead they leave the students to find the fascinating parts of what is being taught, which they don't always do. Teachers say things like "so and so is the name of this part of the body" instead of actually expressing how incredible it is that we can learn about how beautiful and mind-blowing living organisms can be. I used to hate science because I was told how it is boring and made for logical thinkers, and that I would hate it because I like the creative arts. I was left to discover my interest in science by myself, because teachers are usually bad at explaining the most fascinating parts of what is being taught.
    @hermionegranger & @tutti I completely agree! I love watching scishow and what not, but I can hardly stand science classes. I think the world would be much better if every teacher could show how amaing science is! Also I have been meaning to read a Brief History of Nearly Everything.
    It's interesting to think about how school can be effectively improved. Because it's hard when a lot of people probably don't want to be in school at all regardless of how interesting classes are. In addition, I'm guessing a lot of teachers also don't want to be teaching, they just take up the job as a stable position that will give them good retirement benefits. And those feelings coming from both sides leads to a bad cycle. I'm lucky enough to go to a private school that is defined largely by its "intellectual curiosity," but still there are definitely both students and teachers who don't want to be there. Also AP classes would probably be hard to make interesting because it is essentially a class preparing you for a standardized test, so it's less about the academic experience than the results of the AP exams.

For the record, biology comes the most naturally to me (probably because I think of it like learning some kind of history, and I am good at learning history). I really want to be good at chemistry and physics, but I struggled a little bit more in those classes (although I guess I still did fairly well). It is had to tell by grades due to grade inflation differences between schools and the social standard for grades (where I go, everyone is extremely uptight about their grades).
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @SkyDoctor
    Do you do archery?
    @AnFa
    Yeah, their more popular songs are being played too much. I think I heard Believer four times within an hour.
    @school
    I think that there are a lot of teachers who don't really care about their job, but there are also a lot of teachers who do. I go to a college prep school, so the expectations for the teachers are higher than in say public schools.
    @Yodaboyaz that's great that you go to a school that has better teachers, I go to a public high school so we don't always have that. It definitely makes a difference when the teacher cares about their job. Also, what's a college prep school?
    @everyone turtles all the way down comes out today!! (For me, anyway). I have to wait until after school but I am so excited!!
    @everyone OH MY GOSH TURTLES. It was amazing. wow. I am freaking out. probably shouldn't have read it all in one go but WOW THAT BOOK PHYSICALLY HURT ME. I don't have any nerdfighter friends in the world outside of the internet so I just need to vent this - Turtles All The Way Down was fantastic. I related to Aza so much and John wrote her character so beautifully. I think it is my new favourite book written by him. Rant over.
    @everyone TURTLES!!!!! I am not even close to finished yet, but it is so good. OMG like I am freaking out. I will rant more, sorry, when I am done
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman