Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 217 ✭✭
    @tutti
    A college prep school tries to prepare you for college. All of our classes are Honors courses, so it males it much easier to get into colleges. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but the curriculum encourages critical thinking.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
  • NotGreenJohnNotGreenJohn Posts: 10
    @everyone OMG. I justed finished Turtles. It is so good. It is one of my favorite books. I think it is only my third favorite book by John though. Alaska is just such a special book to me and I relate (sadly) to TFiOS too much, but IDK. It is so close. They are all such amazing books. But OMG. Turtles. Just OMG.
  • tuttitutti Posts: 33
    @Yodaboyaz I don't think we have anything like that in Australia, but it sounds so cool.
    @NotGreenJohn I KNOW RIGHT IT WAS SO GOOD!!! That's sad that you related to tfios, cancer is so devastating. I think that our favourite books are usually the ones that we relate to the most, which is why Turtles All The Way Down is one of my favourites now. I have gone through a lot of what Aza has (albeit not as severely), and often I came across things that I had thought about many times before. I also found that John revealed himself a lot more through Aza's character, and it was so obvious it was written by him. It was just so amazing and pure and beautiful and I can't stop thinking about it.
  • NotGreenJohnNotGreenJohn Posts: 10
    @tutti I know! I just wish it came out in a week when I did not have a test and two essays due... but it was so worth reading instead of doing school work! I do really think that John did reveal himself so much and Turtle's was one of his most autobiographical books. I loved it so much!!
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 18
    @everyone
    Sorry I've been inactive for a while, I've had a lot of school work and stuff and then I stayed offline to avoid TATWD spoilers, sooo I've been gone for a while. Speaking of, TURTLES IS THE BEST!!! I just finished it, and I feel like it's so truthful and I just really, really love it. It's weird to read a john green novel that's so recent, but it's a good weird.
    I just had a moment of realization of the culture that I am swimming in. I realized that people not in the U.S. use rulers with centimeters on them. It is very probable that they don't even have inches on them.
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 629 ✭✭✭
    woops i've been neglecting being on here because school stuff
    hello friends!
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
    yes we do not use the Freedom Units (that's what some people call it, google it!) but we do have inches on our rulers! On one side. Centimeters on the other.
    Interestingly people mostly compare heights in feet and inches, instead of centimeters. Maybe because people have insecurities about it and inches are less precise of a unit than centimeters so the ambiguity lets them round their heights up?

Probably not that, tho. I guess I don't really know lol.
    @beepbop1011
    Thank you for the non American perspective. I am going to have to start using the term "Freedom Units" more often.
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 457
    I use feet and inches for my height despite being in an officially metric country, because it’s easier to approximate and understand for me. The majority of what I see in media uses imperial to convey distance, and I grew up with inches and feet being the primary distance measurement in my house. (Mother&grandparents learned English in America, ergo American measurements were used.) personally, I find that cm are just too small and meters too long, whereas feet are a sweet spot in the middle. Also, it takes significantly more effort and time to say someone’s height in cm compared to feet ‘n inches. I’m starting to force myself to use meters more in order to gain another approximation tool, and I find it helpful on occasion. Overall, I use a custom blend of imperial and metric units in my day to day life, as do my other Canadian friends. A litre is more convenient than a quart in our eyes, but at the same time a kilometre is more sensical than a mile.

The winds are blowing slightly warmer. A different, happier tune, is in the air. You are no longer the object of intense cravings, you are merely something I’d like immensely.

@maybedeadcats welcome back!!I'm glad you liked tatwd!!
    @Yodaboyaz It's strange because even though I only use metric measurements most rulers have inches on them. I have no idea why though.
    @the_one_on_the_left I also use feet for measuring my hight, even though I dont really understand it. What comes after 5 foot 11? No idea. When someone says how tall they are using feet I can usually visualise it, but I still don't really understand it.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 47
    @maybedeadcats I'm glad you enjoyed tatwd. I received my copy on the 10th but I have been reading it rather slowly to prolong the amount of time I can enjoy it. Do any of you ever do this?
    @Yodaboyaz I live in America, as well and always use units. I really can't visualize how much liters and meters and kilometers and other metric system measurements. I have a friend in Canada and she always says meters and it's rather confusing as I simply don't understand how long it is. I know it's about a yard long but the mental barrier between customary and metric systems is very hindering. It's a little bit like when people are describing the price of something in a different currency. I am from a family of Indian heritage, and my aunt who lives there might say something along the lines of, "Oh, that costed 5,000 rupees," and I don't understand if that is a lot or a little in terms of dollars. I guess it's just hard to translate between the two systems. There are my thoughts on that, I guess.
    A life? Cool! Where can I get one of those?
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 457
    @tutti after 5’11 is 6’00. A single mark (‘) is used to denote feet, and two (“) is used to denote inches (but is commonly omitted in height measurements).
    12 inches in a foot. So instead of saying 5.5 feet, you’d say 5’6. After 5’11 is 5’12 AKA 6’0.
    Quick and dirty tips someone may not know: roughly 3 feet in a meter. An inch is 2.54 cm. And a mile is quite close to 1.6 kilometres.

The winds are blowing slightly warmer. A different, happier tune, is in the air. You are no longer the object of intense cravings, you are merely something I’d like immensely.

@the_one_on_the_left
    It does seem like having basic measurements to be the length of a fingernail and then one hundred times that is a bit impractical. But in every other way, metric makes so much more sense. Imperial units were created around common objects for people doing trade, and metric units are based on universal constants.
    Some more tips on conversion: 1m~38in and 1mi=5/3km, 1km=3/5mi
    @hermionegranger
    There is some sort of me talk block. I can hardly remember the difference between fluid ounces and weight ounces and how many go into the next highest unit. I do, however, have random facts memorized. I remember that 500mL=16.9floz
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 18
    @tutti Thanks! I'm happy you liked it too, it was so good! (I feel like I might dislike tuataras from now on.)
    @hermionegranger Thank you! I try to prolong reading a book that I like sometimes, but it's usually just a brief "oh wow I should probably slow down so I can appreciate this more" and then I don't because I have very little self control when it comes to books.
    @maybedeadcats Personally I go through books at completely variable rates. Sometimes I read 1/2 in the first day, then take weeks to finish it. Truly good books tend to last a week or two at most, however. I am of the opinion that there’s no such thing as reading a book too fast (within comprehension), you simply read more overall then. Of course, I also hate delaying knowledge when it could be known immediately.

• AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 68
    edited October 17
    I use the metric system for everything, including height. Most germans don't know much about the imperial system and woudn't have any idea how tall someone is if they said they are 5'7 or something like that. The only germans I know who have a rough understanding of the imperial system are people who spend a lot of their time in the english part of the internet. Most germans are normally mostly surrounded by the german language and there is no german speaking country that uses imperial. Austria and switzerland use the metric system, too. I think it has a lot to do with the language you speak. However, our rulers do usually have a side with inches too, but noone uses it.
    by AnFa
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    I kind of wish I grew up with metric system, it seems a lot more useful for everyday life, especially working in the sciences. But alas, I guess I'll just have to train my brain to do both...

Also sorry for lack of activity. I have been frantically writing college applications and it has been an extremely stressful process with more than a few tears shed. If anyone has any advice for college applications, please let me know. I need to submit an early application on November 1 which is in about 2 weeks... yikes.
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces What does this do? texasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭
    @everyone I know it's a little late but I really want to do a rant on Turtles
    so sorry, it's a little late, I have been going through a lot
    okay first I loved it, like feel in love with it. I related so whole heartedly, it was like a self narrative. I mean I don't have the same type of mental heath issues as Aza, but really at the core we are like the same person. It made me really self-aware actually. It was real and raw and beautiful and I am really glad that John wrote it. It is probably my favorite book, which is crazy because Paper Towns changed my life, but I see that this book is too. Sorry if people disagree and this is so late. So yeah.
    @current topic I really wish I know the metric system, especially now I am considering moving out of America.
    I care so much I'm sick - Fahrenheit 451
  • hello im new to the nerdfighteria vanilla form. actually this is my first nerdfighters group.
    @ohalltheplaces I'm so happy everyone loved turtles all the way down. It's my new favourite too. Also, don't worry about learning the metric system. Its really simple and probably far easier to learn than the imperial system. Where are you planning on moving to?
    @clockworkCandles welcome!!
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces What does this do? texasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭
    @tutti thanks, I will keep that in mind. I would like to move to Australia
    @clockworkCandles WELCOME!!!
    I care so much I'm sick - Fahrenheit 451
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    @clockworkCandles Yay welcome to our corner of the forum! How are you doing?
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @TATWD
    This is an amazing book. Being the first and only John Green book that I have read, it is my favorite. I can't really relate to Aza, but there are a few things, namely the awkwardness, that I see in myself. There were a handful of quotes that I can tell will stay with me for the rest of my life.
    @clockworkCandles
    Welcome and greetings! I am interested in your username. What does it mean?
    I have lots of feelings but FIRST are spoilers allowed here?
    @ohalltheplaces Awesome. As long as you are not bothered by the heat, you would probably like it here.
    @beepbop1011 As long as everyone here has finished it that should be fine. It would probably be best to check if anyone is still reading it first though.
    edited October 21
    @clockworkCandles Welcome.

@beepbop1011 ignoring if people are done, there’s a spoiler feature you can use anyway, so it shouldn’t be a big deal.
    I’m not reading it so I don’t care

@everyone I’ve found myself a little corner of the internet called hellopoetry, and it’s kinda nice. If I’m honest, I don’t really read anyone else’s work, I just publish my own for the sake of it. I’ve only published two, but they’re a million times better than anything I’ve been forced to write in my life. Nothing compared to a good writer, but not chokingly artificial like in school. I’ve always had the problem of spending way too long on forced writing or poetry, but I can write the same thing 10X better in literally 1/8 the time when It’s a passion project.

Oh and a quick question, do people notice when someone changes their signature or profile picture?
    by the_one_on_the_left

@beepbop1011
    Just in case, I think that we should use the Spoiler feature.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 47
    @the_one_on_the_left How do you use the spoiler feature? I've seen people do it, but I can't quite wrap my head around it. Also, I usually notice, because I start to associate the username with the profile picture. I'm not sure I can explain it to you, but your profile picture and your username are correlated in my brain. I don't notice the signature quite as much, but I think I would notice if someone changed theirs. Did you change yours? Or am I just now recognizing it? I dunno.
    @TATWD Turtles was SO GOOD! I read the book, and although my mental health is pretty average, I felt like I could relate to Aza a lot. I can't say anymore, because I don't understand the spoiler feature.
    A life? Cool! Where can I get one of those?