Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces recyclable trash texasPosts: 449 ✭✭✭
    @Rancron It is not bad to read it in one day, that is how most nerdfighters do it. I read it in like 2 days, but that was only during school, so. We have a discussion on books of Turtles if you want to talk about it there.
    @tutti that is the signature. You can add one on your profile.
    “You're both the fire and the water that extinguishes it. You're the narrator, the protagonist, and the sidekick. You're the storyteller and the story told. You are somebody's something, but you are also your you.”
    ― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 473 ✭✭
    It feels so weird to be what seems like the only nerdifghter with no interest in john’s books
    I don’t know if I’m smart. I do however, consider myself fairly knowledgeable and logical, which is a decent substitute at least.
  • RancronRancron schoolPosts: 19
    edited November 3
    uhm I think it was a little crazy to read it all in one day considering I had school and halloween-ing and finished around 4 am
    @the_one_on_the_left ive only read TATWD so your not alone
    by Rancron
    God didn't give us minds just so we could refuse to use them.

DAVID WEBER, By Schism Rent Asunder
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 77
    @the_one_on_the_left I've only read Paper Towns and it didn't make me feel the need to read any of his other books. So no, you're not alone.
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 473 ✭✭
    At least I’m not alone in my lack of interest. I still haven’t even touched any of his books at all though, which is seemingly the great exception. And understandably so in such a devoted community
    I don’t know if I’m smart. I do however, consider myself fairly knowledgeable and logical, which is a decent substitute at least.
  • tuttitutti Posts: 46
    @Rancron I read it in one day too. My self control usually disappears when good books are involved.
    @ohalltheplaces thanks!!

"the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
    @tutti I like your signature. In fact, I like most people’s signatures. It provides an interesting peak at their mind.

For example, for the past several months I’ve been changing my signature every couple weeks. It’s chronicled my experience of moving on from somebody I loved deeply. This was the main reason I asked if anybody noticed signature changes originally, I was curious if anyone was attentive enough to understand what was happening. I made absolutely no reference to such an event, but I wonder if anybody was aware through just my signature.
    I can't really relate on not loving John's books because they literally mean the world to me, but I don't think that being a nerdfighter means you need to like/ read his books.
    @the_one_on_the_left I notice signatures and I usually think about them relating to people, mine usually change to chronicle what I am thinking about or what I am working through.

It is sort of strange, I feel like this is a weird place to like umm "unite" because I feel awkward like knowing people, saying personal things, or commenting on them. When I first went on here I knew everyone and most of us talked out of Our Pants ( one of my my closest friend to this day I met on here, and that story), but they faded out forever or faded out of this thread. Now I sort of feel out of place because I don't know any of you that close, and attempting to is weird, sorry this didn't make much sense.
    anywho continue regular non spammy conversations
    “You're both the fire and the water that extinguishes it. You're the narrator, the protagonist, and the sidekick. You're the storyteller and the story told. You are somebody's something, but you are also your you.”
    @the_one_on_the_left thanks, it is a quote off a card given to me by a very special teacher when I was going through a tough time, so it has great sentimental value. I did actually notice that there seemed to be a theme going on with your signatures, but I didn't want to mention it. I hope you're doing well moving on.
    @ohalltheplaces that would have been great to have such an involved community here. I feel like this is the only part of Our Pants that is actually frequently active. I hope that is where this thread is heading to though, it would be nice.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
    Hello friends,
    I need your alls help. I'm asking you guys because none of you know me irl but me and my friends have a big school wide discord server. One of the channels is venting, and it is probably the most active channel. So there is one large flaw, there are some people who have been diagnosed with depression, there are others who should be but wont go to counselors, those who, like me, are too nervous of being judged to vent but need it. Its all teenagers in junior high and high school, so its all a mess. The problem is that none of us know what or how to help each other we usually just spout rubbish generic useless bull dung. (are we allowed to cuss)
    how do we go about helping each other?
    that was a bunch of useless tongue wagging.
    ps sorry about grammar and spelling and rambling its kinda midnight and my brain turned off an hour ago

• BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    @ohalltheplaces I came here later than you did, but I kind of got that sense too. Do you know what happened to all of them? Granted, I act the same way - a lot of stuff say here is more impersonal. But now it does feel like some people are on and off. Was it like that before?
    Mors vincit omnia.
    edited November 10
    @Rancron Honestly I hate giving advice to depressed people such as yourself, because you never ever listen and prefer to wallow. But you’re here, so I’m going to make a small effort against my better judgement.

Step 1: Find a better place to post that question, try a legitimate psychology forum where a qualified person might actually answer.
    Step 2: there’s at least some resources for you to use for free as far as I’m aware. particularly if you’re at all suicidal. For example, my country has suicide prevention centres/hotlines for everyone.
    Step 3, generic advice: don’t surround yourself with toxic people. If your friends make you feel bad for being happy, they ain’t friends.
    Step 4, a wild shot in the dark: Make a fake email, message your school counselor from it. Explain you’re a student who’s too nervous to go in person during school and ask if you can email or go in after hours or otherwise talk anonymously first.

@everyone It appears no one feels as though they truly “belong” in this thread. That’s a funny thought. Well, if it’s no one’s, it’s everyone’s? Also, I would highly encourage everyone to check out this thread, it’s a neat way to get to know people.

In an effort to to personalize this thread a bit, I vote we share at least one, and up to five things that are a big deal to us currently. Be it personality traits, hobbies, relationships, etc. For example, I’m introverted as hell.

@tutti it’s cool that you noticed! I am, thank you.
    by the_one_on_the_left
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 227 ✭✭
    edited November 10
    @the_one_on_the_left
    I think that that first comment of yours was a little too harsh.

I just found out yesterday that my uncle passed away. He had been living with ALS for almost six years. I didn't really have the strongest relationship with him, since I was kinda young when his physical health started to degrade.
    by Yodaboyaz
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    thanks for the advice I guess @the_one_on_the_left sorry if that was poorly phrased. I'm a generally upbeat person, I was wondering if you guys had advice on how to deal with depressed people. I'm in a discord server and a lot of depressed people will open up there when they won't irl.

@Rancron I think it's great that you are trying to help them. I would suggest really encouraging them to seek professional help, and to tell them that it is really the only way they will ever get better. Also, just listen to their vents. Venting is great.
    @Yodaboyaz I'm so sorry about your uncle.
    @the_one_on_the_left Telling depressed people that they 'never ever listen and prefer to wallow' is only going to make it worse. Depressed people dont prefer to wallow, they have no choice. That's what makes it a mental illness that needs professional attention.
    edited November 10
    (double post and I can’t figure out how to delete completely)
    by the_one_on_the_left
    edited November 10
    @everyone perhaps my first comment was a bit harsh, call it a war wound from an (ex) friend. I understand depression isn’t a choice. It’s a comment on when people ask for advice and help on how to deal and don’t take any of it. Repeated instances irritate me immensely. The difference being “depression is a choice” vs “I don’t take your help I ask for because i choose to not make an effort” the latter being a choice I too often see made.

@Yodaboyaz has his death it affected emotionally you in any way?

Personally, I find myself hardly caring about people I barely know. Intellectually I’ll say “that sucks, so sad” but emotionally I don’t truly care much if we’re not close.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    @Rancron ummm wow that is a complex question, it sort of is like asking how does anyone help anyone. I don't particularly think it has a single answer. But the fact they are venting is probably the best thing for them right now. Listen and try to do what you think is best.
    Having been through depression on and off myself, and struggling through it with one of my closest friends to the point of near suicide, really the most helpful thing is to not have it all bottled up.
    @Bohemamine ummm yeah a lot of them went off to college, some of them just sort of stopped going on here. I don't really blame any of them, I am really only very close to one of them, and he stopped posting a while before you, I think.
    @Yodaboyaz I always thought saying sorry was a bit empty, but really I am very sorry. If there anything we can do, please tell us.
    @the_one_on_the_left I also thought that was a bit harsh, but I understand you are sort of hurting.
    I think telling a person thing or several is a good idea
    ummm I'll have to think of mine though
    @the_one_on_the_left
    Not too much. That side of the family lives three hours away, and we usually only see them around Thanksgiving, so I didn't know him all that well.
    @ohalltheplaces
    I understand. Unless you really know the person, "I'm sorry" is one of the only things you can say. I don't feel extremely affected by his passing, but it has lowered my energy and caused me to reconsider quite a few of my beliefs.
    @Yodaboyaz I'm very sorry.

@ohalltheplaces also wasn't there some kind of skype group chat? I feel like when I first came on I got some kind of private mail explaining how something was going on in an outside skype group.

Also I guess we could talk about more normal stuff - you know like what's going on in our daily lives, doesn't have to be anything emotionally heavy or even that significant. That might make us all feel closer and less - how do I put it - formal(?). If we want to do that, I can start - today I went to cheer on a cross country race so I got to wave around a huge flag and it was a lot of fun. Also I discovered a blog website that one of my teachers made and it is so funny to read through. I have basically been spending the past couple of hours looking through the archives of this blog and not doing my homework...
    Mors vincit omnia.
  • maybedeadcatsmaybedeadcats Posts: 21
    @Yodaboyaz I'm sorry about your uncle. My step-aunt died a couple of months ago and even though I didn't know her well, I still felt pretty sad about it and disconnected. I usually thought of death as far off, I obviously realized that it existed but I didn't really understand it's implications and....I don't know it was just a confusing and sad spot to be in. I hope you're getting support and everything from your friends and family. If you ever need to vent, feel free to talk to me.
    @everyone Happy Pizzamas!
    edited November 12
    @Bohemamine
    That sounds fun. It's always strange finding something of one of your teachers online.
    @maybedeadcats
    Thanks. Since ALS is a degenerative disease, we all knew what the inevitability of the situation was. I had six years to come to terms with the eventual outcome. I think that it won't hit me fully until the memorial service.
    by Yodaboyaz
    @Bohemamine Yeah there was a skype, I was never on it though. That sound like lots of fun, our school does things like that all the time.Because we are so small it is made up almost entirely of my friends which it is fun to cheer them on.
    Umm lets see, right now I am in a lot of UIL events (which is where school compete against each other, for academic and stuff) .I am in current events, so I try to keep up a lot with the news, mostly international. It is really strange knowing about everything going on in to world, it really make you question and consider things.
    and other than that, I never was much of a music person, but now I am. I listen to music all the time if I can. I don't know what type of music you guys like, but I really love "The Strokes" ( thanks about that by the way @beepbop1011) and "Arctic Monkeys" and "The White Stripes", you know rock-y things like that. What type do you guys like?
    Which reminds me a long while ago I had a playlist we all added one song to, I think maybe some of you might have been around for it. We could do that again, if you all want.
    @ohalltheplaces Where is that playlist? I remember when it was being made but I don't think I ever listened to it. I listen to a lot of instrumental and soundtrack music.

Also those academic competitions sound really cool!
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @ohalltheplaces I think that making a group playlist would be awesome! I recently got into My Chemical Romance. I listen to most music styles, from instrumental (I'm a violin in the school orchestra) to Imagine Dragons.
    @Bohemamine have you listened to Todd Norocross. He is my martial arts teacher and is also a talented musician. He usually does instrumentals often with Japanese or Chinese influences.

@Bohemamine and @Rancron it is on my youtube actually here is the link
    it is really old though lol.
    I listen to some old music like jazz, and classical. I know this is terrible but I watched this Korean drama about an orchestra, and I listened to that type of music for a really long time. LOL
    Noice,
    So continuing of @Bohemamine 's idea from the other day.

Also I guess we could talk about more normal stuff - you know like what's going on in our daily lives, doesn't have to be anything emotionally heavy or even that significant. That might make us all feel closer and less - how do I put it - formal(?).

My Pizza John shirt just came in!! :smiley:
    Also I just found my copy of "Speaker for the Dead" so I know that most of my home work is gonna be finished around midnight, yay!

So how were yall's days?

@ohalltheplaces
    I really like Alt-Rock. Imagine Dragons is my favorite band, but Twenty One Pilots, Mumford and Sons, and Bishop Briggs are up there.
    edited November 14
    @Yodaboyaz I agree Imagine Dragons is one of my favorite bands, my favorite album by them is gonna have to be Smoke & Mirrors but Evolve is also quite good.
    (EDIT)
    I also like Hank Green I just got Incongruent and its quite good
    by Rancron

@Yodaboyaz @Rancron I also listen to Imagine Dragons, although I wouldn't call it a favourite. I like Twenty One Pilots, Of Monsters And Men, The Lumineers, and Hamilton (there are more but those are the ones I listen to the most.) I play the trumpet in an amateur orchestral band, so music is a big part of my life. I actually had a huge concert on the weekend which was so much fun.
    @ohalltheplaces I think making another playlist like that would be a really good as a way to get to know each other better.
    @everyone have any of you read the Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy series? I'm reading it right now and I am obsessed. I especially love the way it views time and, more specifically, time travel. It says that the past, present, and future have already happened and are always continuously happening. therefore, the "go back in time and kill your grandpa" paradox does not apply. If you never killed your grandpa before you were born, then you never will. I am very enthusiastic about explanations. That's probably why I love maths as much as I do.