Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• tuttitutti Posts: 58
    @Bohemamine thanks
    @hermionegranger I'm sorry to hear about you and your friend.
    I'm so grateful to have you guys, you are all so kind and understanding.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    How many people here celebrate thanksgiving? I feel like a bunch of people are from different countries.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    @Bohemamine I'm Australian so I don't celebrate it. I was actually under the impression that most people here are American, but I don't know.
    "the purpose of life is to discover your gift, and the meaning of life is to give your gift away."
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 81
    I think I really liked 2008 as a Vlogbrothers year. But there have been good videos every year and there have also always been videos that I didn't enjoy that much. It's always a mix.

@tutti I was also under that impression. I'm german though, so I don't celebrate it.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 60
    I feel like there are people from a bunch of different countries, although there are quite a few people from America here. My family is of Indian heritage,so we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving even though I live in the States.
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 489 ✭✭
    I’m from Canada and celebrate thanksgiving a fair bit I suppose. There’s always a turkey dinner, and usually at least one more person is gathered than normal to eat it. And of course, the timing is way different from American thanksgiving’s
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 231 ✭✭
    I celebrate Thanksgiving, but since I'm vegan, I don't have any of the traditional food. I usually have my mom's homemade Pad Thai.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    @Yodaboyaz That's so great that you're vegan, my family are vegetarian but my little brother really wants to be vegan when he's older.
    @everyone do you all have Christmas holidays? We have a six week holiday because it's the end of the school year, but I'm guessing you just have a few days off or something. I'm so looking forward to the end of the year.
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 489 ✭✭
    I’ll probably Have at least Christmas week or a bit around it off. Honestly I’m not a very festive person as of late, so I don’t really care too much.
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • BohemamineBohemamine Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    I have two weeks off so my last day of school is December 22 and I go back to school on January 8. It is weird timing this year because christmas is on a monday.
    Mors vincit omnia.
    IT’S CENSUS TIME!
    The survey has made me realize I have indeed read a John Green work! Zombicorns! But I hardly feel that counts.
    @the_one_on_the_left what is zombicorns??
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces reveling in paradox and satire TexasPosts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Happy late thanksgiving the people who celebrate it, and happy, I don't know, week if you don't! :)
    @tutti I have a few weeks off, which I will be off again because life and parent and BLAH. I am super sorry about that happened we are always here!
    It is sort of strange how many of us that have gone through a similar situation.

HAPPY CENSUS! This is the 3rd I have done, and I am really proud of this community and well Our Pants, so thank you all for making this place awesome!
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    Always the procreant urge of the world"
    - Walt Whitman
    edited November 27
    @tutti Zombicorns is a novella written by John Green, possibly as a punishment or something? I believe He had to write a book about zombicorns (theoretically zombie unicorns) but he weaseled out of it and made it about zombies and corn. I could be Wildly incorrect about why he made it! Don’t quote me.
    Straight from the lexicon page:zombicorns

Zombicorns – (n.) A somewhat unpolished zombie novella by John (see NaNoWriMo). Despite the title and cover design, it does not contain unicorns, but is instead about normal corn

by the_one_on_the_left
    edited November 28
    Something I’ve been thinking about recently: how many lives could I potentially ruin? And that turned into asking my friends how many they could ruin, and now I’m curious about nerdfighteria. How many lives could you ruin? I can ruin 2 socially and legally, my two friends are at 7 and 8 for both legally & socially. I wonder if such high numbers are an outlier, or if my mere 2 is the outlier.
    Edit: another friend at 0
    by the_one_on_the_left
  • RancronRancron School in Mason, OhioPosts: 36
    like how are you talking ruin
    social disgrace?
    jail?
    other ________?
    I feel we were made to add joy to that hurt. To show people that life may not be the best, but it's not the worst. To show that without darkness there would be no light, but there can be light in the world.
    - My Friend
    @Rancron both! EIther! Answer as you can.
    I probably couldn't 'ruin' any. I think it would be almost impossible to actually ruin a life, but very easy to make a life temporarily miserable.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 231 ✭✭
    @the_one_on_the_left
    I don't think, until I become a parent or someone tells me about a crime they committed, that I could ruin any lives. If I had enough motivation, I could maybe tarnish a few peoples' reputations, but I couldn't ruin anybody's life.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    edited November 29
    I could only ruin two and tarnish a few dozen others
    The two I could ruin could be arrested, I think, I’m not sure how it works for the underaged but they have committed petty theft, underage drinking and assorted others
    But no way would I ruin anyone’s life
    One of my friends brought a knife to school and asked someone to kill them with it today so no way
    by Rancron
    I feel we were made to add joy to that hurt. To show people that life may not be the best, but it's not the worst. To show that without darkness there would be no light, but there can be light in the world.
    - My Friend
    @everyone this is very interesting.

@tutti, it most certainly depends on what you know. My knowledge could lead to the quite possible imprisonment of both, and ostracizing of the both, for different reasons.
    Why are all the things I talk about here always so miserable and sad
    Anyway PROJECT FOR AWESOME!!!
    This is my first P4A but I am thinking about making a video, however I am still slightly confused as to how it works. Can someone explain please?
    - My Friend
    edited November 29
    @Rancron People upload videos advertising a certain charity and nerdfighters vote for which ones to donate to. They also donate money to the sight. it's a little more complicated than that, but not too much.
    Also, your friend wanted someone to kill them?
    by tutti
    Uhm yeah they got suspended after they asked someone to kill them
    - My Friend
    edited November 29
    @Rancron they don’t make me sad, they just pique my interest and curiosity. that’s why the topics are sad so often to you.
    That, and you seem to have an unfortunate habit of personally connecting to a sad event to them.
    by the_one_on_the_left
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces reveling in paradox and satire TexasPosts: 464 ✭✭✭
    @the_one_on_the_left umm that is a rather peculiar. Other than a deep discussion I had with myself on that if anyone's life can actually be ruined, which I can't explain really, I don't think one can ruin anyone's life, and me in particular can't. I mean I can maybe damage a life for a bit. I don't know, I never would though, even if damn that person really did to me. Ohhhhh Freshman year.
    @Rancron I don't think all your things are miserable and sad, I find them interesting. I enjoy hearing others point of view, even if it differs slightly than mine.
    and on the topic of P4A a few of us did a collab, and we actually got a grant. It would be sort of nice to do one again if anyone wants.
    side note: I got my letterman today, and I know it is a little silly especially if I sort of look like a guy in it and it only has academic stuff on it, I am really happy!
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman
    @ohalltheplaces I think it would be great fun to do a group P4A video
    I just got paper towns... I just finished paper towns... my outlook on life is forever altered and i'll be up till 3 doing home work I shoulda been doing
    anyway what charity do we want to support if we do a P4A video
    also how would we create it being in so many different places? Do we want to have a chat on Discord or Google Hangouts?
    - My Friend
    @ohalltheplaces a collab for the P4A would be pretty awesome. I'm glad you're enjoying your letterman
    @Rancron CONGRATS to the outlook changing to Paper Towns, I literally still think about it all the time. That book is one of the most life altering things I have found. But excuse me in my deep devotion to YA lit.

@tutti and @ Rancron I would love to do a YA collab! We can make a Google hangout and I have a discord account on the Nerdfighteria server there. We can always just use the DM on here. Last year we did " We Need More Diverse Books", I don't have a charity in mind though.
    "Urge and urge and urge,
    - Walt Whitman