Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• Leila_DLeila_D El Paso, Texas, United States of AmericaPosts: 4
    Hello!
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 253 ✭✭
    @hermionegranger
    Congrats on a whole year!
    It seems like my time on here has gone by so fast. But looking back, in the past two years, I have significantly grown and changed as a person, for the better I hope.
    @Leila_D
    Welcome to our strange little corner of the internet!
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 506 ✭✭✭
    @Leila_D Welcome. I am also from Texas, strange I have not met that many other nerdfighters. I am glad you are here.
    @Yodaboyaz You have been on here for a long time. I am glad that you have stayed.
    "I want to make a simple point about peace and love
    But in a sexy way where it's not obvious
    Highlight dangers and send out hidden messages..."
    -"Science Fiction" Arctic Monkeys
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 544 ✭✭
    My word! It’s already been over three years since I joined this site. It doesn’t feel that long at all. Then again, my time tracking skills are notoriously terrible; I regularly don’t know the month or day it is.

I have certainly changed as a person though, if I remember who I was when I signed up. I’ve changed from an nice and respectful little baby faced nerd boy with no confidence into a standoffish with a cruel streak baby faced nerd young man who comes off as arrogant in his confidence.

I’m also strikingly self-aware for someone who comes across as arrogant occasionally, something that amuses me greatly.

Honestly, I love who I’ve become compared to who I was; I much prefer this persona. Sometimes I think I sell myself as too mean though. I’m still too kind, but only if you dig past the surface and down to things that really matter.
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 506 ✭✭✭
    @the_one_on_the_left Yeah I started as an awkward shy nerd and turned into an awkward shy nerd with slightly more friends.

Hey does any one have a band coming out with an album this year? This year sees to be golden for album releases.
  • NeiroAtOpelCcNeiroAtOpelCc Denmark (Als)Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭

Hey does any one have a band coming out with an album this year? This year sees to be golden for album releases.

no idea, but buy this girl's ep - it's brilliant despite not being what I usually listen to

My substitution for facebook and twitter: 
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/neiroatopelcc
    on another attempt to encourage conversation.
    Did anyone else watch Ready Player One? I haven't read the book yet ( I know book nerd shame), but I absolutely adored the movie.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger Atlanta, Georgia, USAPosts: 82
    @ohalltheplaces I haven't watched Ready Player One or read the book (although I hope to do both). A friend of mine who has read the book said that there were several things that the movie got wrong. However, this friend also has not watched the movie, she just watched the trailer.
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
    @ohalltheplaces
    I've read the book, but haven't seen the movie yet. Though I would like to.
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 544 ✭✭
    I too have read the book but not yet watched the movie. I hope it’s good, I’m really sceptical though; it seems like the type of adaptation that would be oh so easy to mess up.
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
    @Yodaboyaz @Bohemamine and @the_one_on_the_left I am sort of glad ( again I am shaming book-nerdness a bit) that I haven't read the book, although I am very excited too. I am glad because I would spend the whole time noticing all the faults and things that were left out.
    Anyway I am more excited about seeing it again this weekend then my prom which is also this weekend.
    Most of us are the Junior/ Senior age anyone going/ already have gone to prom?
    @ohalltheplaces It's interesting that you *shame*booknerd-ness because from what I understand, you are a bit of a book nerd yourself.

Also, have fun at prom! I still got a while to go until I have to think about that since I'm in seventh grade.
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
    @ohalltheplaces
    Happy prom! My prom is in a few weeks, but I don't have any intention of going. There's nobody who I would want to ask and none of my Boys are going. Though I have heard through the grapevine that one of my (straight guy) acquaintances is going to joke ask me.:P But next year, who knows.
    edited April 6
    As the home schooled little boy I am, I have never been to any dances or proms or anything of the sort. The closest thing I had was a day or two of square dancing during one of two years I supplemented my PE course with a local PE class. The only way I’m going to one is if I find a local high schooler who thinks I’m a good companion.

This is highly unlikely for several reasons. Aside from my lack of social life, I also despise groups of people and loud music/noises. I can’t dance and I’m not particularly good looking. I am somewhat tall (5’11) though, that’s desirable I suppose.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    @hermionegranger Oh no I wasn't meaning to shame booknerd-ness at all. I am quite proud to call myself a very dedicated one. I was just stating that my lack of reading the book before the movie was a bit shameful in most "booknerd" ways.

I am not that particularly exited for my my own prom, considering I am very socially awkward. One of my good friends ( that is a girl, no romance here) asked me though, so you know.

Anyway my favorite band just released the date, cover, lineup, and title of their new album. (Hence the profile change.) I am super hyped. I guess in a way unlike most teenagers I am more excited by books, music, and movies then dressing up.
    edited April 7
    @ohalltheplaces I think you sound quite a lot like a normal teenager, if not your internalized vision of one. I see a few broad strokes of teenagers and you certainly fit into at least one of the broader categories. Even beyond that, fan-girl/boying over something you like is almost universal.

So I had a job interview today that went so well, we spent several minutes talking about video games as complete nerds. It was honestly an enjoyable interview; not something I thought I’d ever say.

On a related note, I need a full time minimum wage job(21000$), plus 1000$ a year from thin air, in order to afford living on my own by anything better than a razor thin margin, and then just barely. In good news, I’m guaranteed wage increases as minimum wage will be going from $11.35 to $15.00 in 2021 with several bumps on the way for a smoother transition.

The difference is astronomical. I’d go from maybe being able to have $500 dollars left after expenses per year, to actually being able to afford putting money in my pension and other savings accounts.

Also, at $15 an hour, I could fufill a fun idea I’ve been tinkering with recently, that could actually work. Having done the math, it’s actually extremely cheap to provide for a second teenager/young adult such as myself. If they’re willing to sleep on the couch or floor or my bed, and eat cheaply, I can have one of my international friends fly out to Canada and stay with me for up to 6 months (visa length.) they’d probably be well advised to be studying for university online or some such thing, as I’d be working 5/7 days a week, 8 hours a day at least. So if they study while I work, we can hang out in the remaining time. And if I invite the right friend, that means endless amounts of carnal fun when desired.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    so I read "Eleanor and Park" this weekend. I am a bit of a mess over it.
    I have no idea what that is or what it’s about, but my exceedingly basic internet research has determined its kinda like looking for Alaska! Therefore I can conclude I probably wouldn’t love it that much if I read it.
    @the_one_on_the_left It's amazing that you can live off of minimum wage. The minimum wage in Georgia is $5.15, but the national wage is $7.25. Still, it's not really enough to live off of even working 40 hours per week.

@ohalltheplaces I haven't read Eleanor and Park, though I do wish to. I have read some of her other novels, Fangirl and Carry On, which I loved. From the blurbs I read, Eleanor and Park seems rather similar to Looking for Alaska, but Rowell's style is very different from John's.
    @hermionegranger
    well, “live” is a stretch. Before the wage increase I have $18.294 a year, I budget 1000 a month for rent and depending on the place, internet/utilities. That’s $6.294 left. Subtract 15$ A day For food and supplies like soap and toothpaste and all such stuff. That’s 6.294 - 5475 (15 x 365) = 819. I have $819 after the entire year. That’s assuming I don’t spend any excess money on taxis or nights out or better food or a phone or car or anything whatsoever. Oh, and that doesn’t include any automatic deductions for the Canadian pension plan, or any other expenses.
    edited April 11
    In good news though! After the wage hike in 2021, I’d have 25K a year, which absurdly amplifies my spare cash, as my expenses stay the same. With all my spare cash, I could legitimately save up a lot of money over time. Let’s say I get married to someone else with a full time minimum wage job, and our combined expenses are 30K a year. That’s 20K left over, and that’s enough to retire by 40-45 with investing in mutual funds to the tune of $1000 a month or 12K a year.

25 years of investing 12K a year, with a real return rate of 6% results in 696K which generates 40K a year.
    That 40K is subject to taxation, so mileage on that may vary. At least 30K of that 40K should be available after taxes and everything, which as determined by the above expenses is enough to retire. And we all know, most people don’t truly “retire.” Most people enjoy working at least a little bit, otherwise they get bored.

That means a couple can retire comfortably at 50 if they married at 25. That’s without making anything other than minimum wage for their entire life, and with several thousand a year in free money that they can choose to either invest and retire earlier or spend and increase their quality of life.

A “real return rate” is your return on investment rate, after management expenses and inflation. The stock market actually averages like 10% a year, but after accounting for expenses and inflation, you only get an absolute value increase of 6-7% or so. I’m pessimistic when accounting for money, so I low ball myself and use 6%

To simulate some of this yourself, use this: https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/finance/calculators/compoundinterestcalculator.php
    For “annual interest rate” put “6”
    For “base amount” put “0” or however much you currently have.
    For “calculation period” put “25”
    For “monthly payment” put “1000” and leave “adjust for inflation?” Unchecked.
    For “compound interval” leave as “monthly”

Toy with the settings to your hearts content!

Quick caveat. Because you’re leaving “adjust for inflation” as unchecked, yet our interest rate of 6% is automatically taking in inflation, then our numbers don’t quite get along properly. However, I consider the margin of error (less than 20%) to be well within acceptable margins for such a long term and hypothetical scenario. It serves its purpose as an educational tool.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    @hermionegranger and @the_one_on_the_left I don't think it was a whole lot like "Looking For Alaska". I loved both of those books a lot, but Eleanor and Park definitely more ummmmmmmm loving.
    It reminded me the most of "Why We Broke Up", another book I absolutely adore.
  • TheBananaTheBanana Posts: 6
    I’m currently 12 going to be 13 in a few months am I aloud on this thread.
    @TheBanana Oh, you're fine! I joined this thread as a twelve-year-old myself (I'm thirteen now). Also, we mostly just want people to hang out here since there aren't a lot of people active on this forum.

@TheBanana Oh, you're fine! I joined this thread as a twelve-year-old myself (I'm thirteen now). Also, we mostly just want people to hang out here since there aren't a lot of people active on this forum.

yep that explains it exactly

@TheBanana you are more than welcome!
    @TheBanana
    Of course! All are welcome.
    What is your favorite school subject?
    Doing In school? Most of the Sciences! I blitzed through the general science of grade 10 (last year for general science) so absurdly fast that I did the last 1/3 of it in 45 minutes after getting annoyed at being asked how far along I was. I wish all school was that easy.

What do I like to use outside of school? Arguably English is what I actually enjoy using the most, during the once in a blue moon when I write poetry. It’s like the only thing I create that I’m actually proud of.
    I probably use basic math literacy the most, but anything I learned past middle school is utterly useless.

The most valuable skills I use in day to day life are entirely self taught or gleaned through watching successful adults (and understanding what unsuccessful adults did wrong):
    financial literacy (see my previous posts),
    how to control my emotions (actually one of my best traits if you ask my ex),
    how to properly budget time and resources (be extremely pessimistic in short term deadlines),
    how to argue with strangers (basically don’t),
    And how to be happy (life is almost always how you look at it!!!!!!!!)

Hell, I’m a over year behind school (due to my laziness do nothing else) and life is still great in my view!
    My sister has multiple degrees and a job she adores, and a great dog, and is super healthy yet she’s not happy for some weird reason (ostensibly because she had to move back in while she found an affordable place to live). It ain’t because of what she doesn’t have, it’s because she’s too hard on herself and doesn’t fully appreciate or enjoy what she does have.

@everyone and you?
  • TheBananaTheBanana Posts: 6
    My favorite subject is sciene though math comes pretty close
    @TheBanana
    Cool. I also am a math and science person. I want to study physics in college.
    Also, a tip for you. If you put an "@" symbol and then someone's username, it'll notify them that you tagged them.

Something rather odd happened to me today. The past few nights, I have had this dream where I was on a road trip with one of my classmates. It was a normal dream with normal weird dream stuff. I didn't think much about it. Then when I saw that classmate today, I felt a brief flicker of attraction. Then it was gone in the next moment. I'm not going to make much of this, but I just needed to tell someone about it.