Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 524 ✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    @Ada I have been a nerdfighter for 4 years this December. I found out about them first through John's books all of which I love dearly. I adore Paper Towns the most, and I was super hyped for the movie. One of my friends showed me the video of John and Cara Delevingne, and then I just started watching all the videos!
    The next May I found Our Pants, and made some of the closest, and actually my closest friend on here. Most of them aren't active on here anymore, but everyone here is very nice, and I think of it sort of like a second home.
    I was in 8th grade when I became a nerdfighter. I can't imagine being a 5th grader! You got an early start on many years of awesome!

@everyone How did you become a nerdfighter?
    by ohalltheplaces
    "I want to make a simple point about peace and love
    But in a sexy way where it's not obvious
    Highlight dangers and send out hidden messages
    The way some science fiction does"
    -"Science Fiction" Arctic Monkeys
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 555 ✭✭
    Funnily enough, I’ve never really felt like a nerd fighter. Yet I’ve been on this site and watching John and hank for so long. I’ve been on this site for 3 years and have watched John and hank for at least a year more than that.
    I suppose i would sort of label myself as one if asked specifically, but I’m not the type of person to ever belong in a group. I’m me, and honestly a lot of me is counter to nerdfighteria on the surface, and I get the feeling that I’d be a bit counter to the typical nerd fighter you’d meet.
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.
  • AnFaAnFa Hessen, GermanyPosts: 97
    @the_one_on_the_left
    Yeah, I get that, I also never really feel as a part of some kind of internet group/ community that has a name for it's members. I have refered to myself as a Nerdfighter before, but I don't really define myself as one. I also don't quite think that I am much of a "typical" nerdfighter.

@ohalltheplaces
    I found the Vlogbrothers through SciShow, which I found through Vsauce.
  • NeiroAtOpelCcNeiroAtOpelCc Denmark (Als)Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭
    AnFa said:

@the_one_on_the_left

I have refered to myself as a Nerdfighter before, but I don't really define myself as one. I also don't quite think that I am much of a "typical" nerdfighter.

I think most people here would defined them as 'not typical' so that is probably just part of being human and feeling somewhat unique.
    Overall I think most nerdfighters have things like the environment, books and charity in common.
    My substitution for facebook and twitter: 
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/neiroatopelcc
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 524 ✭✭✭
    @everyone participating in this current conversation
    Ummm I guess I have found calling myself a nerdfighter as a comforting label. It is one I am proud of, and one I enjoy. It explains me quite well.
    Maybe I am the non-typical one
  • the_one_on_the_leftthe_one_on_the_left The top half of the longest undefended border in the worldPosts: 555 ✭✭
    My friend has applied for a position at my work and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I think I don’t like it at all. I think I actually desperately hope he doesn’t get it.
    Am I smart? No idea. I believe I’m fairly knowledgeable and logical, a good substitute I hope.

My friend has applied for a position at my work and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I think I don’t like it at all. I think I actually desperately hope he doesn’t get it.

How come ? isn't he qualified, or do you think too much time with him breaks something?
    @NeiroAtOpelCc because he’s an at a distance friend, not a close friend; also, I enjoy keeping my work and friend circles completely separate. I am an extremely private person on many levels. I would hate to have anything about me at work be a topic of discussion that I did not start.
    Ah. Yeah I have a work mate like that too. I'd love to have more friends be coworkers myself though. I've gotten more social in general though lately.
    So I’ve come to the conclusion I am surprisingly nerdfightery. I value the overall state of humanity, and I value the minimum wellbeing of people.
    My main things that conflict with it are a seeming coldness to others suffering, when in reality I prefer not to feel bad for no reason, and choose to not care and instead be happy. And my other conflict is being mean and outright cruel to my partner.
    Being the owner, I don’t find any conflict, but from the outside in I can see those two things as conflicting.
    well today is the day guys!
    I have moved out.
    thank you all for your support.
  • AdaAda Posts: 64
    Wow! That's so exciting!
    Make art, not friends.
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger the nearest libraryPosts: 97
    @ohalltheplaces Oh! Congratulations!
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
    THEY'RE MAKING LOOKING FOR ALASKA INTO A HULU SERIES! AHHH! I'M SO EXCITED!
    Make art, not friends.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,659 ✭✭✭
    DANG IT I DON'T HAVE HULU
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
    When it comes out, you could get the thirty-day free trial (assuming that you could watch an entire series in thirty days).
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada That´s the plan for me. I don´t think there is a way I will be able to convince my parents to purchase Hulu to watch just for Looking for Alaska (but maybe I can, idk yet).
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
    Why don’t y’all just make one or two free accounts at a time, posting the login details on here, so you get an effective 90+ day free trial all together
    @the_one_on_the_left Oh that´s a good idea.
    I realize now that I’ve never been in an adult store, I’m kinda curious and might do it on my next day off.
    @the_one_on_the_left An adult store? What is that even? Nevermind I don't want to know.
    I am very excited for the hulu series!
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,659 ✭✭✭
    I wonder why it's going to be a series rather than a movie.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
    Maybe because there's so much? I mean, it's not very long, but it has a lot, if you know what I mean. Also, it probably has something to do with money, and how they can get the most possible amount of money (because that's the goal in every situation). Another reason why they might have chosen to make it a series is because The Handmade's Tale is super popular, and maybe they think that turning books into TV series is going to be a fad?
    Make art, not friends.
    edited May 15
    Adult store = sex paraphernalia shop.
    by the_one_on_the_left
    ohhhhhh okay.
    UMMMMMMMMMMM so today's my 18th birthday! I am basically an adult. It is so strange I started on here when I was 14 I think.
    @Ada I love your quote
  • RancronRancron A BookPosts: 42
    Well @ohalltheplaces Happy Borthday!!!!
    I feel we were made to add joy to that hurt. To show people that life may not be the best, but it's not the worst. To show that without darkness there would be no light, but there can be light in the world.
    - My Friend
    @ohalltheplaces Happy birthday! Also, thanks! I heard it on an episode of Dear Hank and John.

My mom has this onion calendar, and todays headline is "Rescuers Heroically Help Beached Trash Back Into Ocean". :)
    Make art, not friends.
    @Rancron and @Ada thank you!
    :)
    Today's headline is "Orca's Successful Trick Rewarded With Bucket of SSRIs."
    Make art, not friends.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 257 ✭✭
    @ohalltheplaces
    Happy birthday, congratulations, and good luck!
    I found the vlogbrothers in March of 2016 because one of their videos was in the recommended of a SchiShow video which I found because it was in the recommended of a MinutePhysics video. I think that I would say that I am a Nerdfighter, but I have never said that out loud to anyone.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.