Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

1186818691870187118721874»

Comments

• hermionegrangerhermionegranger the nearest libraryPosts: 97
    @Ada These headlines are quite fascinating. I am quite curious as to the stories behind these headlines. Also are these actual headlines, or are they just made up?

@Yodaboyaz I found vlogbrothers through The Fault In Our Stars, which I read about 15 months ago. I also have never told anyone I am a nerdfighter, but mostly because it´s something that´s like strictly my own. Like, I have never told my parents about vlogbrothers or nerdfighteria. I suppose it´s something I´ll tell them one day, but for now, it´s my own little secret.

@ohalltheplaces Happy late birthday!
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,659 ✭✭✭
    I found all this when I stumbled on CGP Grey and the penny video mentioned John's penny rant. From there it was off to the races. That was... geez, at least 6 years ago. When did I get all adulty?
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • AdaAda Posts: 64
    @hermionegranger Oh! Sorry! No, the headline was from my mom's Onion calendar.
    Make art, not friends.
    I also found Nerdfighteria through TFiOS. The first video I watched was a reunion video on the subject or goats. I have told my parents about Nerdfighteria, but at times I regret it because my parents have lectured me about my poor people skills by saying "nerdfighters are supposed to decrease world suck, and you should do that by being better at talking to people, so that they will feel good after talking to you, rather than..." What do people think after I have conversations with them? I really have no idea. Anyway. But, I did get an awesome nerdfighting shirt from dftba.com for my birthday, so there were some benefits to telling them. :smile:
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada Oh that´s cool. I have thought about telling my parents on several occasions, and have no doubt that they would support me, but I kinda like having this one thing to myself. Typically when I tell my family stuff, they begin to think they are bigger fans of the thing than I am, WHICH IS NOT TRUE, so I´m just gonna keep it to myself.

In other news, I presented my project about the vlogbrothers and their effect on society. This was surprisingly difficult, because (as I said earlier), nerdfighteria is the one place that I have to myself (in my group of people I know irl). It did go well, though. I can share the presentation with you guys if you would like.
    Happiness can be found even in the darkest times if one only remembers to turn on the light. -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore
    @hermionegranger Wow! That's awesome! How did it go? I would love to see it if you're comfortable sharing it.
    Make art, not friends.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 257 ✭✭
    @hermionegranger
    I think that I've told my mom, but she didn't quite understand what I was talking about. The concept of online friendship just wasn't really a thing during the previous generation. I find it interesting that she didn't understand my online friendships when she herself had a friend that she knows solely from talking online.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    My therapist once asked me if I used any social media, and I tried to explain Nerdfighteria to her... the look she gave me... Goodness. I thought therapists weren't supposed to be judgemental.
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada I´ll see if I can put a link on here. I don´t know if you will be able to see it, since the presentation is on my school email, but crossing my fingers. Also, I can´t imagine trying to explain nerdfighteria. It´s quite strange to anyone on the outside.

@Yodaboyaz I don´t think my parents would understand either. One, because Internet friends weren´t so easy to come by for their generation. Two, just because of stranger danger.
    Here´s the link to my presentation. Let me know if you can see it or not. https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1QWqXP4ASi7NOtCmP0MTRfOJFiW4560PLzQ4i1WNXuis/edit?usp=sharing
  • RancronRancron A BookPosts: 42
    yah Im getting the access denied message
    try checking to see if you can set the link to view all not just view within school district (like this? https://snag.gy/uqHwfi.jpg)
    I feel we were made to add joy to that hurt. To show people that life may not be the best, but it's not the worst. To show that without darkness there would be no light, but there can be light in the world.
    - My Friend
  • NeiroAtOpelCcNeiroAtOpelCc Denmark (Als)Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭
    > @Yodaboyaz I don´t think my parents would understand either. One, because Internet friends weren´t so easy to come by for their generation. Two, just because of stranger danger.

I'm not convinced that is true. I think it depends on where you are. I found my first girlfriend thru the internet back in 1997. My aunt found her wife thru online dating around the same time. And I learned 9 years ago that one of my parents neighbors, a woman in her seventies then, had found her boyfriend thru the internet too.

At least here in Denmark we understand that the internet is useful for enabling contact.

The stranger part could be an issue though. I am not able to tell.
    My substitution for facebook and twitter: 
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/neiroatopelcc
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 524 ✭✭✭
    @Yodaboyaz and whoever else is partaking in the parental talk of nerdfighteria.
    I guess i have always been super open about nerdfighteria, just because I care about it a lot. I am really passionate and vocal about something when I care about it.
    This is unfortunate, because my parents after hearing I was nerdfighter and loved John's books so much researched them and read Christian parenting reviews of all his books.
    Yeah, you know all of John's videos about people trying to ban his books, well my parents did that to my school.
    Anyway so that's my story. that was like 6 months before I found "Our Pants" and that is sort of why it is so important to me, because nerdfighteria let me like be myself.
    I guess I fell comfortable sharing that now because it is all over. I mean, all my old friends on here knew, but I don't think any of you do.
    So sorry for that I guess.
    "I want to make a simple point about peace and love
    But in a sexy way where it's not obvious
    Highlight dangers and send out hidden messages
    The way some science fiction does"
    -"Science Fiction" Arctic Monkeys
    @Ada I did try doing that, but there´s no setting for allowing anyone to see it. I´ll see what I can do. I am curious to see what you think of it since y'all aren´t outsiders to the community like the audience for which this was intended was.

@ohalltheplaces Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like a difficult thing to go through especially since you love John´s books so much.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 257 ✭✭
    @NeiroAtOpelCc
    I'm not saying that earlier generations cannot understand online relationships, only that is harder for more of them to understand
    @hermionegranger
    I see your point about stranger danger. That would especially apply to my parents who (although I'm 17 years old) still really want to shelter me in my bubble.
    @ohalltheplaces
    That's one reason that the only John Green book that I have read is Turtles. I read it when it came out, so there wasn"t any research that my mom could do to see that it was "PG-13". I worry that if I put, say Looking for Alaska, on hold at the library, my mom will read a review on it and see that it has some mature topics which will not be acceptable for her little baby to read.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    edited May 19
    @Yodaboyaz My mom has the tendancy to do the same thing, and at times I find it ironic the things that she chooses to let me read. Like, she let me read Looking For Alaska (she didn't do any reasearch on it; she said that she didn't want to know), but it took a lot of persausion to convince her to let me read Turtles. (To be fair, I did read Looking For Alaska after I read Turtles. I used the ol' "but his other books are so good, I don't want to miss out, it won the Prince award, yada, yada, yada," on her). I am kind of concerned, though, because she recently told me that she was going to read it before the series on Hulu comes out, so that we could watch it together, and I am kind of scared of how she will react to the fact that she let me read it. Anyway, I'm sorry about that. That's really annoying. :/
    by Ada
    Make art, not friends.
    @hermionegranger Maybe each of us could request access seperately, and to each request you could accept? I have no idea whether or not that would work.
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada Why is looking for alaska so worrysom to parents? I bought a copy for a friends 12 year old daughter, and that didn't result in any earthquakes. Just asking because I don't see any potential harm.
    @NeiroAtOpelCc I think what bothers parents most is the book's (graphic) sex scene, the characters smoking and drinking, and all of the cursing, but I'm not sure.
    Make art, not friends.
    @Yodaboyaz Looking for Alaska is probably the most explicit of John’s books. An Abundance of Katherines is probably the least explicit (it is also the one people most frequently forget about). My parents are pretty chill on the watching what I read. They have placed limits on certain books although their reasoning is flawed. For example, I am not allowed to read the Hunger Games until the summer before 8th grade, which coincidentally starts in 2 weeks. But I am allowed to read, say, Looking for Alaska, which is (probably) far more mature than the Hunger Games. I should add that they gave me Hunger Games for my birthday, which is certainly some sort of torture.

@NeiroAtOpelCc Some people don't like the sexual scene in the book. The depiction of alcohol and tobacco can also be worrisome because it's shown as something that everyone does. John said somewhere (I think in his video called On the Banning of Looking for Alaska) that people's worldview cannot possibly be changed by a novel, which I agree with.

Is anyone getting out of school soon? My last day of school is May 25th, next Friday.
    @hermionegranger Argh. My school year ends on June 20th. And, it's not even like we started later than most schools. We started in AUGUST. (I usually like school, but my teacher this year is quite a pain). Are you doing anything interesting this summer?
    Make art, not friends.

John said somewhere (I think in his video called On the Banning of Looking for Alaska) that people's worldview cannot possibly be changed by a novel, which I agree with.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Some people are more uptight than others about things like that.
    Anyway, as for the quote above, I actually don't agree. After reading behind the beautiful forevers (one of the books John mentioned somewhere once), my view definetly shifted a little bit. I'd never even considered what it'd be like to live in a slum somewhere. It's so far from my everyday life.