Teenage Nerdfighters Unite (Our Pants edition)

Comments

• SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,666 ✭✭✭
    Maybe a series on hankgames where they play horror games together?
    I love you and I like you
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 543 ✭✭✭
    @SANTA_ATE_CHICAGO fantastic idea. I wouldn't ever watch it due to the fact o don't enjoy anything with a plot any more scary than a British drama. Fantastic idea never-the-less
    "I want to make a simple point about peace and love
    But in a sexy way where it's not obvious
    Highlight dangers and send out hidden messages
    The way some science fiction does"
    -"Science Fiction" Arctic Monkeys
  • hermionegrangerhermionegranger the nearest libraryPosts: 112 ✭✭
    @ohalltheplaces Oh! I live in Georgia. I'm not there right now though. I'm actually in India for all of June for my cousin's wedding, which should be fun.
    Don't be upsetti, have some spaghetti.
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces I just wanted to be one of The Strokes TexasPosts: 543 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13
    @hermionegranger That so so cool. I'll be going to Savanah.
    I have always wanted to go to India. That just sounds like an amazing experience. I just spent the last week in a flurry because the family that I'm living with has an older son, and he got married on Saturday.
    by ohalltheplaces
    @ohalltheplaces Savannah is such a fun place to visit. Enjoy your stay there! (great, now I sound like one of those tourist-y brochures.) Also, congratulations to the newlywed couple!

India is an amazing experience, but it´s super different. Like, you drive on the left side of the ride, and the driver´s seat is on the right side of the car. Besides the superficial differences like that, it also really opens your eyes to poverty and homelessness and stray animals and other problems that I don´t necessarily think about on a daily basis.
  • AdaAda Posts: 97
    I realize this is seriously off topic, but I was making a birthday slideshow for my grandmother (I never thought I'd casually say that sentence) WHEN I LEARNED THAT THE AVERAGE AMERICAN RECEIVES ABOUT 44,165 emails A YEAR. Holy PIZZZAA. What are we doing with our time?

Also, thank you @hermionegranger for the quote. That is undeniably the best quote I have ever seen (no sarcasm intended).
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada In no way to pry, but how in making a slideshow for your grandmother did you discover that? I feel that is an obscure way to find out such a truth. But I am glad (I guess) that you did!
    @hermionegranger I am glad to hear it is such a good place! I hope that ill enjoy it like the traveling tourist I technically am. Even though I'm going for an academic conference lol.
    India sounds fascinating and complex. I hope you both learn and enjoy.(Great now I sound like a teacher.)
    @ohalltheplaces It is almost her birthday, so I was googling statistics about what you do in a year (how many hours you'll probably sleep, how many miles you'll probably drive, etc) and I came across that one. I don't know why it weirds me out so much, but getting around 150 emails a day... Yikes. I certainly don't. But I also don't work in an office. So, I don't know.
    Make art, not friends.
    @Ada Oh, thank you. It´s something I found on tumblr and then I showed my friend and now it´s like a weird inside joke.
    Also, I am definitely not anywhere near that statistic. Most of the emails I get are either from newsletters I signed up for or my parents or my teachers.
  • NeiroAtOpelCcNeiroAtOpelCc Denmark (Als)Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭
    edited June 15
    @ohalltheplaces Sounding like a teacher isn't supposed to be a bad thing.
    @Ada The email stats probably include spam.
    I'm old, so I can provide some statistics on email.
    Below you'll find a list of how many emails I received and sent per year over the last 18 years. While it's growing, most of what I receive is due to automated systems. Phone system telling me about a forwarded call, or a skype message I didn't reply to etc.
    Based on these numbers, I believe a lot of the huge number of emails you dug up is a product of spam and stuff like facebook notifications etc. ie. not something people actually spend time crafting,

Year / Received / Sent
    • 1999: 183 / 9
    • 2000: 1305 / 81
    • 2001: 1234 / 22
    • 2002: 1105 / 31
    • 2003: 1343 / 453
    • 2004: 1977 / 1156
    • 2005: 2946 / 1366
    • 2006: 3040 / 1316
    • 2007: 4176 / 1588
    • 2008: 3290 / 1255
    • 2009: 4660 / 1228
    • 2010: 4388 / 1401
    • 2011: 3629 / 1475
    • 2012: 3313 / 1606
    • 2013: 3502 / 1235
    • 2014: 3550 / 1266
    • 2015: 7455 / 1231
    • 2016: 10704 / 906
    • 2017: 6941 / 1207

Edit: I have another 8500 emails related to games (two factor verification, invoices etc) received since 2013, and 2700 emails from the helpdesk system I'm using at work (since 2016). So I guess you can add approx 2k emails to the received numbers each year since 2013.
    by NeiroAtOpelCc
    My substitution for facebook and twitter: 
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/neiroatopelcc
    @NeiroAtOpelCc Wow. Where did you find those?
    Make art, not friends.
    I found those numbers in my mail client. I work for an IT company, and have done so since I started as trainee in 1998. So I have all my emails from the end of 1999 and until now. I didn't get to keep all the old mail from before then, as the company was merged on january 1st 2000
  • whistleinthedarkwhistleinthedark Posts: 2
    Hey, so I just discovered this thread and was wondering if I could join? I've been a nerdfighter for over a year now but I've never really been part of the community and this forum thingy seems really cool.
    I think you fulfil all the requirements to take part
    @whistleinthedark Hello! Welcome! Of course you can join.
    Make art, not friends.
  • YodaboyazYodaboyaz Chandler, ArizonaPosts: 261 ✭✭
    I got hired for my first job! I'm a ride attendant at an indoor amusement park/arcade/laser tag arena.
    "I don't know." What a liberating phrase.
    Okay number one @Yodaboyaz THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT JOB. Although, granted I work for my school during summer janitor work so most things sound great.
    @whistleinthedark Yes, you are very welcome!
    @NeiroAtOpelCc I an quite pleased with my teacher-ness
    @Yodaboyaz Congrats on the job! It sounds really fun. Do you get any employee discounts?
    @whistleinthedark Of course! We're glad to have you!
    OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! I AM FOSTERING THREE KITTENS AND THEY ARE THE CUTEST THING IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. SERIOUSLY. Their names are Presley, Oreo (par my sister), and Pumpick Spice Butt (par my brother). Oh my God.
    Make art, not friends.
  • whistleinthedarkwhistleinthedark Posts: 2
    thanks for being so welcoming:)
    @Ada That's so awesome!!
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,666 ✭✭✭
    @Ada So why Pumpkin Spice Butt?
    I love you and I like you
    @SANTA_ATE_CHICAGO Well, we were in the car, and he was like, "He looks like pumpkin spice... Hmm... Let's name him Pumpkin Spice, but we can call him Spice." So, naturally, the cat became Pumpkin Spice Butt.
    Make art, not friends.
  • priyapriya IndiaPosts: 3
    Hey! I'm Priya, 17 yrs old and from India! I'm really new here. I love science, comics, movies and everything around me. Hoping to find new people like me! And I know I'm a little late!😊
    @priya Hey Priya! Welcome to our space in the internet! We're glad to have you. I'm actually in India right now for my cousin's wedding, though I live in the US.

@Ada I'm a little confused as to how it got from Pumpkin Spice to Pumpkin Spice Butt, but (see what I did there?) whatever.
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 638 ✭✭✭
    edited June 19
    hello!
    by beepbop1011
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
    Hey @beepbop1011 you have been missed.
    @priya you are very welcome. And I think all of us are at least a bit like you!
    @Ada pumpkin spice butt is a fabulous name. I would suggest one named penguin.

Hey @beepbop1011 you have been missed.

@priya you are very welcome. And I think all of us are at least a bit like you!

@Ada pumpkin spice butt is a fabulous name. I would suggest one named penguin.

thanks chloe <3
    also omg "I just wanted to be one of The Strokes" i love Star Treatment
    @beepbop1011 I know it might be my favorite song in the album. I really like One Point Perspective too.
    Hey, @beepbop1011 it's been a while since we've seen you!
    hiya :) how is everyone?