How do I convince my parents to let me go to VidCon?

DoritDorit Posts: 5
I have wanted to go to VidCon now two years now.  I will be 17 this summer, and feel that my friends and I can take care of ourselves.  Unfortunately I live on the East Coast, so our parents are very skeptical about letting us go across the country by ourselves.  My parents are also afraid of the sketchiness that they believe parts of the internet have.  How do I convince them that VidCon in an amazing experience that I can handle with my friends?

Comments

• DaveDave Posts: 45 ✭✭
    Show them different videos from different Youtubers that detail their experience from previous Vidcons. It helps explain things better than words will. :)
  • kronosqqkronosqq Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Yeah, I second the video idea. Show them all the awesomeness that is Nerdfighteria and Vidcon. I would advise looking into details about hotels in Anaheim though, I think I remember Hank saying something about having to be 18+, or presumably with someone who is, to check into hotels there.
    I have a signature now, signatures are cool.
    DFTBA
    PS. My name is Miles.
  • shakes1327shakes1327 Posts: 37 ✭✭
    Show them a plan.

How will you get there? Who will you be traveling with? How well do you know the people you'll be meeting up with? (If your parents are unfamiliar with these people, start sharing details with them. Show your parents that these people aren't strangers, that they won't turn out to be creepy old men when you see them IRL.) How will you get from the airport to the hotel? How will you book a hotel? Do you trust the people you'd be rooming with? (Or consider having a room to yourself, as an extra security blanket.) Will there be parties? Will there be alcohol? Will you be partaking in said parties and alcohol? Etc, etc... the more you can tell your parents, the more comfortable they'll be. Find out what exactly your parents are worried about and have answers ready for them.

This coming from a person who traveled halfway across the world to stay in the houses of people she'd met on the internet and didn't tell her parents until they were driving her to the airport. Oops. But I had a plan and my parents trusted me. I was also (barely) an adult, but that will never stop a parent's worry.
  • TheMeFundTheMeFund Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Show them a plan.

How will you get there? Who will you be traveling with? How well do you know the people you'll be meeting up with? (If your parents are unfamiliar with these people, start sharing details with them. Show your parents that these people aren't strangers, that they won't turn out to be creepy old men when you see them IRL.) How will you get from the airport to the hotel? How will you book a hotel? Do you trust the people you'd be rooming with? (Or consider having a room to yourself, as an extra security blanket.) Will there be parties? Will there be alcohol? Will you be partaking in said parties and alcohol? Etc, etc... the more you can tell your parents, the more comfortable they'll be. Find out what exactly your parents are worried about and have answers ready for them.

This coming from a person who traveled halfway across the world to stay in the houses of people she'd met on the internet and didn't tell her parents until they were driving her to the airport. Oops. But I had a plan and my parents trusted me. I was also (barely) an adult, but that will never stop a parent's worry.
    All of the above. When I was a teenager I often didn't get to do things that I wanted to do because I was not a good planner, I would just try to wing it all the time and therefore got told I wasn't allowed to do things. I of course did them anyway and then was forced to move out of my parents house when I was 16 because I was out of line (that's a story for another day though)

If you've got a plan and show responsibility your parents will agree to anything. Also don't lie, EVER. If you're caught in a lie, even a little one your parents will never trust those well laid out plans. If you say you're not going to drink and/or party, stick to your guns because one thing is for sure at VidCon SOMEONE will catch it on video. You don't want that.

Honesty is always the best approach.