That'd be a great name for a band...

ereadalotereadalot Posts: 3
We all know how fond John is of coming up with band names. It's been a part of Vlogbrothers since way back when. Some of my personal favorites are Consider the Lemming, TV for Chickens, Moe and the Lawns, and Schrödinger and the Maybe Dead Cats.

Have you ever said something in casual conversation and thought, "That would be a great name for a band"? Share it here! Include the type of music this hypothetical band would play (if you are so inclined).

Are you looking for a name for your own band? Perhaps you'll find one here :)

Comments

• ElizabethMarchElizabethMarch USAPosts: 26
    Fear the Rabbit, for one. Also, I heard someone say "Stapled Monkeys" was pretty good too.
  • dmlandrumdmlandrum Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    The Ages of Eon
    The Epic Joes
    Crooked House
    The Magnetic Moment
    The Superluminati

I used to run an old Twitter account called DailyBandName. Some were better than others.
    by dmlandrum
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    "Band Nerd Romance"
    Also, my brother was once considering naming his band "The Common Misconceptions" but he and his friends went with "Rapture Bus" instead
  • echoecho Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    I was really happy with myself when I came up with "David and the Deities". Now I just need to find someone called David.
    Former enigma, professional echo.
  • lenpuppylenpuppy Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

echo said:
    I was really happy with myself when I came up with "David and the Deities". Now I just need to find someone called David.
    Create an alter ego ;)

Noel Fielding once came up with The Electric Moccasins, that would be such a good band name.
    i use #yolo un-ironically
  • apolloapollo Posts: 28

jimbo and the whales would be a lovely name for a band who only performed songs about wikipedia

sorry larry sanger

• dmlandrumdmlandrum Posts: 15
    Catherine said:
    "Band Nerd Romance"
    Also, my brother was once considering naming his band "The Common Misconceptions" but he and his friends went with "Rapture Bus" instead
    I like "The Common Misconceptions." That's a good one.
  • ThiefreeThiefree Posts: 62
    Catherine said:
    "Band Nerd Romance"
    Rapture Bus is a great name!

I like "Singing in English" as a band name, just because it's incredibly difficult to say.
    Eloquence in simplicity. Also, a bunny.
    (\(\
    ( - -)
    ((') (')
  • disco_spiderdisco_spider Posts: 130 ✭✭
    The band in my NaNoWriMo novel is called Riot on a Thursday. It sounded like a good pop-punk/emo name. 
    Backseat serenade/dizzy hurricane/oh god I'm sick of sleeping alone
  • ThiefreeThiefree Posts: 62
    @disco_spider I like that! (Also, I'm gonna start a thread for Community. Just because you're here.)
    Eloquence in simplicity. Also, a bunny.
    (\(\
    ( - -)
    ((') (')
  • basilsaurusbasilsaurus Posts: 22
    I spent my entire core class last year turning the titles of the books and texts we read into band names.  My favorite was "Sor Juana and the Secular Poets" 
  • jneels25jneels25 Posts: 12
    I always thought "Exit 54" would be a good pop-punk band name.
  • The Cardigans.. then again, that is a band. 
  • disco_spiderdisco_spider Posts: 130 ✭✭
    @Thiefree Yesssss! :D
    Backseat serenade/dizzy hurricane/oh god I'm sick of sleeping alone
  • jneels25 said:
    Ooooh I really like that! 

When my friends and I play Rock Band, we always use the band name "Peanut Butter, Red Dirt" and "Seven Car Pile Up." Hahaha
  • JdwaldyJdwaldy Posts: 29
    @ChristyWho that's perfect.
    "I try to write different moods, but the hardest songs to write are of complete joy, because I don't get to that point very often."
  • CombustibleLemonsCombustibleLemons Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Flaming tofu
  • MeredithMeredith Posts: 40
    Last night on The Voice, they said "Legendary Chicken Soup" It was used to describe a performance but I think it would be a great band name!
  • AaronAaron Dundee, U.K.Posts: 757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel the need to post this here, @Tom did a freaking amazing design for one of John's frequent 'that'd be a great name for a band', 'The Moby Moby Dicktones':

You can get a t-shirt of it here, and a desktop wallpaper of it here
    Elusive of the Last Ones
  • jneels25 said:
    I could actually see myself listening to a band called "Exit 54." I like it. (:
  • GreySpaceGreySpace Posts: 3
    Albino Black Sheep, I've always wanted to call a band that. (I know it's a website, but it would make a way better band) 
  • FireantFireant Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 38
    'Impertinent Dingbats', for some reason. I think just because I like the thought of people introducing themselves as that.
    J.C. And The Boys (which I stole from a post on Tumblr)
    The Mercury Experience
    ~*~*~

"“Well,” I said. “Nothing to do now but wander the PIZZZAA into that abandoned building, totally unarmed.”

–from 'John Dies At The End', by David Wong, page 224.
  • aliceisarainbowaliceisarainbow Posts: 49 ✭✭
    The Axons
    Transcendance
    The Lillies
  • naorslenenaorslene Posts: 6
    If I had musical talent, I would name my band Top of the Class. Your fans could be called Top Hats or something. :-\"
    >We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken.  We think we are invincible because we are - John Green, Looking For Alaska<

lawngnomes-and-pandabears.tumblr.com
  • TheStigTheStig Loses Sword Fights to Cardboard Boxes Long IslandPosts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Audiocide
    Unlineal Hand
    Blind Perception
    Mammoth
    "Well, scientifically speaking, traditions are an idiot thing." - Rick Sanchez
  • I told my friend that if we had a band we'd call it 'Duck Ponds in Winter.'

And we're so in love with the name we're almost not kidding about it anymore. Oops. 
  • Captain_MustardCaptain_Mustard Posts: 46 ✭✭
    @telepathyofcourse: Catcher in the Rye. Nice!
    Inn á við held ég
    Viðarglætur birta bál
    Einn með mér sjálfum 
    Anda inn anda frá
  • HahahZombieHahahZombie FinlandPosts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    My sister and I had a band on Rock Band called ' ' so when we would be presented, everybody would be confused and wait for someone to say it.

Tumblr

”Run. Faster. Don't let anything distract you. FOOD.”

• softcannonballssoftcannonballs Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Last year, I lived in a dorm called Memorial House, so I always thought "Mem House Steps" was a good name.

Also "The Soft Cannonballs" will be the name of the band I create if I ever learn how to play anything outside my computer. :P
    turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream