DARCY!!!

So...Darcy. Any thoughts?
“Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss
“I've been running. Faster than I've ever run. And I've been running my whole life. Now it's time for me to stop.” ~The Eleventh Doctor
“The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
~Douglas Adams

Comments

• LaisLais Posts: 140 ✭✭
    At the same time I think his outfit totaly matches him, it annoys me a little.

But I can't find myself not to like Darcy when I see him on video, the chemistry with Lizzie is excellent.
    Keep calm and Brazil on.
  • lifesockslifesocks Posts: 1
    His appearances on LBD had pretty much the same effect on me as when I read the book, so I'm quite pleased so far!
  • mareskamareska Posts: 31 ✭✭
    I haven't read the book yet, but I have a friend who's pretty much a Jane Austen fangirl, and she likes the way Darcy acts so far!
    there are no happy endings
    endings are the saddest part, 

so just give me a happy middle
    and a very happy start
  • I've really been enjoying the performance of Darcy. I think he and Lizzie's chemistry is fantastic and he's got some awesome fashion sense. Even though I don't seem to dislike him as much as I do book Darcy. But he's been great for the two episodes we've had with him in it. 

"We have no need of comfy chairs." 
  • IronAnimationIronAnimation Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    I love his choice of dress. In the "its very classy" and "it fits his adaption well" way. I haven't read the book, and I was surprised by his appearance( I was expecting someone who looked like Micheal Aranda for some reason I don't know). He's grown on me already and I wish he'd show up again already. I am so curious about his plot. Might just read the book next weekend.
    Have a pleasant day
  • CassieCassie Posts: 14
    mareska said:
    Never in my life I was so happy to see someone's head.
    I CONCUR WITH THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF ENTHUSIASM THAT I CAN POSSIBLY MUSTER.
    Also the bowtie. I just can't with the bowtie.
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, I think this is a great Darcy. I mean come on, he wears bowties. I don't even care about the rest (I hear you, Foyk). But all joking aside, I think he's doing a great job of portraying Darcy (even though he's only been in 2 episodes). I think he really matches the book, but I particularly draw parallels to him and the Matthew Macfadyen Darcy in the film, they're just so similar.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
     I think he really matches the book, but I particularly draw parallels to him and the Matthew Macfadyen Darcy in the film, they're just so similar.
    I totally agree with you there. And I actually prefer Matthew over Colin (yes I know, how blasphemous). But seriously he does remind me of Matthew; the way he holds himself and the measured way he speaks. And the classy clothing just leads me to distraction.
    @Cassie Me too, I prefer Matthew. Although, I've only seen a little bit of Colin playing Darcy, but I really enjoyed how Matthew played Darcy... I just remember that scene where Lizzie is at Charlotte's and he bursts in and just stands there all flustered and awkward and then ran out again - I loved how he did that. Not that that's what this discussion is on, but I just felt the need to agree with you ;)
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • hlp0045hlp0045 Posts: 25
    I LOVE this Darcy! I love the way he dresses, it's fits into EXACTLY how I would've imagined a modern-day Darcy to dress, and I'm loving how he's slowing growing on Lizzie. =) You can just SEE her falling in love with him before your eyes! ^.^ And he's the exact right amount of awkward and charming that is so irresistible! gah! I love it all so much! I can't wait for the next episode!!!
    @hlp0045 I know, you can just see her softening towards him slowly.
    Like when Charlotte told her that he wasn't going to be at dinner and Lizzie was all, "Oh..."
    I actually cannot wait to see how it's going to progress. But also I don't want it to end.
  • It's hard for me to adapt, since Colin Firth as Darcy was my first one true love at the share of six, but still I'm coming round to this Darcy!
  • bexinterrobangbexinterrobang Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    I really like him! One small thing: have any of you seen the picture that Fitz posted on his Twitter, where Darcy's wearing that flat cap thing? 

He wore that after he saw Lizzie's videos. With all of the impersonations of him with the hat. What does this mean?!?!

Please @ me when you want to say something to me!
    It's against my religion to hate: ask me about it if you're interested :)
    "Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person
    The non-tea drinkers... all of the awesome, none of the tea.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."

• I'm really enjoying Darcy in this series. I was worried too that we'd never see him until the very last episode.
    After growing up with Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy it's nice to see him portrayed in a different manner. Can't wait to see him in more!
  • TheNotSoWiseOwlTheNotSoWiseOwl Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

@bexinterrobang Maybe he didn't mind it ;) Maybe he like the nickname... oh my word, can you imagine it if everyone just called him Newsie from now on? ?Like EVERYONE.  /:) My mind should not be allowed to run loose... Maybe he's trying to make a joke out of it now so he doesn't look daft? OR it could be a kind of in-joke to Lizzie. Not a very secret one, but maybe.

But stepping out of plot for a minute, when I first saw him he didn't look at all like I expected. I think it's the hair - it's a tiny bit too neat for me. Well not so much neat, but it's one of those short sides long on the top styles that are quite fashionable at the moment, and he doesn't strike me as the type to go in for fashion. So at first I was like "hmmm". But now I can't imagine him looking any different :)

All I wanted were the answers, but I still don't know the questions.

@TheNotSoWiseOwl That's hilarious XD I was thinking that maybe it's a small way in which he's trying to say that he doesn't mind her videos...

"Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person

@bexinterrobang Yes! That's what I kinda meant by in-joke. Only you've phrased it so much better...

@TheNotSoWiseOwl Oh I see. Why thank you :3 I kind of feel bad for him. But he was also an idiot. Maybe I'm just biased because I know what happens in the end!

@Bexinterrobang Why do you feel bad for him? Because she made fun of him all the time in her videos? I actually don't know the exact ending because I've never read the book, but I know the aproximates...

@TheNotSoWiseOwl I feel bad for him for a multitude of reasons, for example: because he's so utterly incapable of expressing his feelings properly and because she made fun of him and everyone else kind of did too.

@bexinterrobang Ah I get what you mean now, and I agree. He's quite relatable as a character in that way, because personally I'm really awkward and stiff in social situations too. Maybe not quite to his extent, but enough to empathize.As for making fun of him... well I guess that was really Lizzies fault up to a point. (Off topic) I wouldn't want to blame her but she really does have a one sided view of things and maybe doesn't always take other people's feelings into consideration if she's biased against them... But full credit to him, he had every right to be mad and he wasn't. He didn't even seem to mind that much, and I can really admire him for that.

@TheNotSoWiseOwl Well, she is pretty prejudiced! I am impressed that he wasn't that angry, especially considering that when Lizzie had the opportunity to be angry she flew completely off the handle.

@bexinterrobang Maybe he realised tha them both getting angry wouldn't solve anything. I mean, he's got a lot of sense, and he probably figured that if he got mad at her it would turn into one massive arguement and they'd lose a big chance to form any kind of relationship, even just friendship. This way, it makes him the bigger person, and makes Lizzie think twice about some of the misconceptions she's formed about him

(Off topic) If I don't reply anymore it's because I'm attampting to start the revision I was meant to start 2 hours ago...

:-S

@ashsayshello Hahahah I was totally thinking of that scene when I was writing that comment! Not every actor could actually do that scene without it seeming ridiculous but he made it work. Also just the way that he says his lines. I could listen to him forever and ever. Hahah, I know that seems silly but I could. And with this Darcy, I think he has the same way about him.
  • bluejaybluejay Posts: 14
    I love the portrayal...he's a grumpy robot Darcy, which I mean in the best way possible. I think it's a good update of what an emotionally insecure/awkward and shy guy who has learned how to deal with people in business situations but still doesn't really know how to handle friendly socialization/small talk would be like in the modern era. He reminds me of guys I knew in college...except much more handsome (dat bowtie...)
    @TheNotSoWiseOwl Ha, that's fine, I hate revision so I feel your pain. Yeah I agree, Lizzie does seem to be a tiny bit immature sometimes, taking everything a little out-of-proportion :3