DARCY!!!

Comments

• IgorIgor Posts: 112 ✭✭
    I liked him with the skinny black tie better. I'm so sorry, u guise :(
    Blame it on the stars
  • AbiCoooperAbiCoooper Posts: 87 ✭✭
    @TheNotSoWiseOwl @bexinterrobang Did you notice how he also wore the bowtie after all the impersonations of him in Lizzie's vlogs had him in a bowtie? He's the most adorable. I think he wasn't angry for the simple reason that he's in love with her <3

Oh God, I am such a romantic. 
  • bexinterrobangbexinterrobang Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    @AbiCoooper @TheNotSoWiseOwl Yes I did! And actually, that's probably the most basic reason... how did I not see that.

Don't worry, I am too ^____^

Please @ me when you want to say something to me!
    It's against my religion to hate: ask me about it if you're interested :)
    "Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person
    The non-tea drinkers... all of the awesome, none of the tea.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."

• IgorIgor Posts: 112 ✭✭
    Hank said:
    Lais said:
    At the same time I think his outfit totaly matches him, it annoys me a little.

But I can't find myself not to like Darcy when I see him on video, the chemistry with Lizzie is excellent.
    That is, in the end, what we were looking for more than anything else. How he and Ashley looked, how they reacted to each other. We had a lot of hunkier guys come in and read, but Daniel had the best idea of who Darcy was, and interacted with Ashley / Lizzie in exactly the right way.
    In that case, you have succeed! It's brilliant! Their reactions, their body language around each other! Everything is simply top notch! Can't wait till Monday to see what'll be up next! 
    Blame it on the stars
  • LaisLais Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Hank said:
    Lais said:
    At the same time I think his outfit totaly matches him, it annoys me a little.

But I can't find myself not to like Darcy when I see him on video, the chemistry with Lizzie is excellent.
    That is, in the end, what we were looking for more than anything else. How he and Ashley looked, how they reacted to each other. We had a lot of hunkier guys come in and read, but Daniel had the best idea of who Darcy was, and interacted with Ashley / Lizzie in exactly the right way.
    You made an awesome job. Because the main thing about Darcy isn't being Darcy, at least in my opinion.
    Keep calm and Brazil on.
  • At the moment I don't love this Darcy, not because I think he's poorly cast, but just because I don't know him yet. Yes there have been moments on "ohmygoshsoromantic" but because of the nature of these videos my views at the moment have been formed from Lizzie's portrayal of him. We've only had a few minutes of screen time to experience Darcy, so I'll be reserving judgement until P---. And thank you so much Hank and the rest of the casters for not picking a "hunky guy" just to satisfy a female fanbase. In the book Darcy isn't meant to be drop-dead gorgeous and I think looks-wise this Darcy will live up to Jane Austen's portrayal, where we are told "He is not so handsome as Wickham; or, rather, he has not Wickham's countenance, for his features are perfectly good".
  • tashikickytashikicky Posts: 4
    He was not what I expected.. but it works somehow for me.
  • I love LBD's Darcy! I think he perfectly embodies the awkward uncomfortable side of Darcy, while still having the potential to be super romantic. 

Also, can I just talk about his facial expressions when Lizzie rejected him. So subtle, but such a good actor.

Not to mention he's pretty attractive(; But anyone in a bowtie is to me! 

• rinceyarinceya Posts: 4
    I really enjoy Daniel as Darcy. Like others said, he is having the same effect on me as happened with the books/movies where the more I watch him, the more I like him. I won't say how many times I rewatched episodes 60 & 61, but every time I did I kept noticing more of the little inflections and expressions that he and Ashley put into their characters. So, so great. Also, anyone else want a Darcy/Fitz spinoff? 
  • QLCQLC Posts: 53
    I really like him, but I would have been happy with anyone you chose probably because I just couldn't wait to see him :D
    I'm sure I'll like him more when he shows himself to me a more like-able person.

Just had a really great thought about what could (SHOULD) happen.

George and Darcy have a fight by a swimming pool, Darcy gets pushed in and it just so happens that he is wearing a lovely white shirt at the time. Oh and then maybe he could go to talk to Lizzie and she's all like 'why's your shirt all wet. You look awesome in that shirt Darcy. Lets get married.'  

• DunyaDunya Posts: 63
    Love love love Darcy. The only thing i didn't like was that he didn't look that taken aback when Lizzie rejected him. The portrayal of him was absolutely marvellous though, props to the actor!
    Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta:
    the tip  of  the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap,
    at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
  • KatelynKatelyn Posts: 22
    halfspice said:
    The fact that I DIDN'T like him the first time I saw him on screen is probably good, since its Lizzie's blog and she was SUPER PISSED at him
    I definitely wasn't sure on him at first either, but like you said, that's probably best for the story. Seeing him in the last couple videos though, he's a perfect fit for Darcy. Not to wreck all of my credibility here, but I'm not sure I like the suspenders, they're a bit more dorky than classy in my opinion.

Side note: Did anyone who saw the What's Trending interview feel like he was somewhat type-casted? He wasn't having an easy time putting his thoughts into words, it was cute lol
    The world belongs to those who show up.
  • AJ91AJ91 Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
    I really like what they've done with Darcy. His acting is some of the best on the show. My one major quibble is his tie. Surely no business man (since that is what Darcy is in this adaptation) would wear a skinny tie? I want him in a suit. The way he looks now is like a teen trying to look smart while not embarrassing himself in front of his mates. Darcy is beyond that- he has his money, he has his position in whatever ventures, and he will wear a suit, and a real tie. 

On the other hand, outside of office hours he can wear what he likes, and I have to say that those pics of him hanging out with Fitz that have gone up on twitter look good.
    Sede Sapientiae Ora Pro Nobis
  • DunyaDunya Posts: 63
    QLC said:
    I really like him, but I would have been happy with anyone you chose probably because I just couldn't wait to see him :D
    I'm sure I'll like him more when he shows himself to me a more like-able person.

Just had a really great thought about what could (SHOULD) happen.

George and Darcy have a fight by a swimming pool, Darcy gets pushed in and it just so happens that he is wearing a lovely white shirt at the time. Oh and then maybe he could go to talk to Lizzie and she's all like 'why's your shirt all wet. You look awesome in that shirt Darcy. Lets get married.'  

omg your spoiler is perfect!! hahaha. what if he took his shirt off though? ;)
    Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta:
    the tip  of  the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap,
    at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.
  • NorthBreezeNorthBreeze Posts: 3
    I kinda liked Darcy.  I think that they're doing a good job of portraying him.  
  • beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    mareska said:
    Never in my life I was so happy to see someone's head.
    Context is everything

I liked how robotic he was. He reminded me a lot of the movie versions that are awesome.
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cassie Exactly, this Darcy has that same awkward shyness about him. I also find he's trying to protect himself in a way...? Like, not showing his feelings too blatantly or... I'm not really sure how to describe it. It makes sense in my head. I don't know, I find I can really relate to him because I'm one of those people who can never show my own emotions and I always write out what I'm feeling in letters just because when I'm writing I'm (usually - here not included, obviously) more succinct in what I'm trying to say.

@Hank And I actually find Daniel Vincent Gordh very hunky. Wow, hunky. Don't use that word very often. But the chemistry between him and Ashley is fantastic and extremely believable. Kudos to you! (Kudos is another word I don't use very often.)

@theoncomingriver
    I completely agree with you about the facial expressions in that scene! I think he's so subtle but that just makes him all the more Darcy-ish.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • AnaAna Posts: 22
    I was somehow afraid to say that I really didn't like the actor playing Darcy. IDK... The guy kinda bothered me. 

But then I saw an interview with him and Ashley Clements and I think I'm getting to his acting.
    Nerdfighter Ana froBrazil!!!
  • KneazleRoseKneazleRose Posts: 11
    DVG is the Darcy of my dreams personally, and I am guilty of fangirling for hours over him. Given, I haven't seen the Colin Firth portrayal so all I have is the vision in my head from reading P&P. There's just something about his expressions that are so subtle but perfect because it's Darcy. Does that make sense? Like he manages to make Lizzie's previous portrayals look accurate while still seeming like a real person who reacts to things. We can clearly see how Lizzie might blow certain things he does out of proportion.
    At the same time, you can also see the reasons Lizzie will fall in love with him. The sarcastic smile, the persistence, you can see there's good in him as well as bad.
    He manages to be a total robot and a total un-robot at the same time.
    "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss.... But every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and when you do, nothing will ever compare.”
    -Wendelin Van Draanen, Flipped
  • sashlerysashlery Posts: 53
    I thought he was perfect. I heard that there were some people who didn't think he was sexy enough, but as Hank said, he doesn't need to look incredibly sexy, he needs to look like Darcy, and DVG looks exactly like Darcy, in my opinion (plus DVG is totally sexy and if you don't think so I just don't understand your existence). I've always considered Darcy to have crippling social anxiety/ineptitude and a total lack of tact, and of course those two things together can make a person seem really rude and unlikable, and I think that DVG captured that whole little bubble (bubble?? does that make sense?) perfectly. I can't wait to see more.
    Basically the human embodiment of a blobfish.
  • Seeing a lot of positive comments about Darcy! I personally really liked him too. When I first saw him, I was kind of like, "Oooookay, not reeeeally how I pictured him." And then he started talking and I was like "THIS. IS. DARCY!" He's just awkward enough without being overly awkward and uncomfortable. He is attractive, but not in a friendly, puppy-dog sort of way (like Bing) or in a "yes, I know I'm horribly attractive, now look at my abs" sort of way (like Wickam). And I was pleased to see they brought back the bowtie the second time you see him. And he and Lizzie have great chemistry!
    “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.” ~Dr. Seuss
    “I've been running. Faster than I've ever run. And I've been running my whole life. Now it's time for me to stop.” ~The Eleventh Doctor
    “The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
    ~Douglas Adams
  • CassieCassie Posts: 14
    @ashsayshello I totally get what you're trying to say. I think that he has the ...sort of stiff posture of someone that is trying to both protect himself because he's very reserved about his feelings and the blatant vulnerability that he shows in confessing his feelings to Lizzie. It's a very contradicting portrayal and something that, as an actor, is very difficult to do. I applaud Daniel for a performance well done.

@Hank I'm going to have to agree with Ash. He has a great charm to him that while portraying Mr. Darcy, he combines his own appearance with the compelling character of Darcy. He draws people in and makes them want to know more and see more of him. He also wears those clothes very well, without seeming ridiculous or too formal. He makes me think of Matt Smith as Eleven; because not many people can pull off the bow tie and elbow-patch blazer very well. I believe that Daniel and Matt can.
    @Cassie Ah yes, that's exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks for taking a look into my brain and coming up with something coherent :)
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • javelinjavelin Posts: 14
    I would just like to add: ERMAHGORDH

I have never fangirled over anyone so much!
    what a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person
    ERMAHGORDH IS RIGHT 

I am going to totally use that whenever something happens on LBD ;)

• nallakanallaka Posts: 29
    Seeing a lot of positive comments about Darcy! I personally really liked him too. When I first saw him, I was kind of like, "Oooookay, not reeeeally how I pictured him." And then he started talking and I was like "THIS. IS. DARCY!" He's just awkward enough without being overly awkward and uncomfortable. He is attractive, but not in a friendly, puppy-dog sort of way (like Bing) or in a "yes, I know I'm horribly attractive, now look at my abs" sort of way (like Wickam). And I was pleased to see they brought back the bowtie the second time you see him. And he and Lizzie have great chemistry!
    This is exactly what I think! Well put  :-bd
  • lessthanbutterflieslessthanbutterflies Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I had the unfortunate luck of watching the big Darcy reveal in my school library so I wasn't able to properly fangirl. BUT I LOVE HIM. Oh my goodness I was never so happy to see someone.  I had all these expectations (as an avid Jane Austen reader) but I really love him.  I think he fits great for the adaptation and I am very very happy and excited to watch his part of the story progress  :x
    Let me learn from where I have been
  • CellistPondCellistPond Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    I got a friend to start watching from the beginning like two weeks ago and I couldnt not laugh because almost every single episode the top comment was "I wonder what Darcy's face is as he watches this video right now"
    Oh look! A wild signature!
    If I'm not posting here, I might be tweeting
    or sleeping or working
  • DeboraDebora Posts: 460 ✭✭✭
    At first I didn't like him, but... After re-watching his declaration, I have to say... I've read the book, I've watched the movie and I've seen some of what Colin Firth did. But no former Darcy was able to make me like the character nor understand him. Even after the ending, I always thought "Ok, so he is not a horrible person, but he is still rude and weird for no reason at all". Because, even though everyone said he was shy and bla bla bla, no one was able to make him look really shy. They made him look deliberately antisocial (which he somewhat is, but not entirely) and stressed (which he has reasons to be), sometimes even a fool, because of all the wrong reasons, but never simply... An introvert. But Daniel's stuttering at the beginning of his declaration and his facial expressions made me truly understand this story. He's a great actor :)