SciShow Future Episode Ideas

As a Biology undergraduate student about to enter grad school, SciShow has become one of my favorite channels on YouTube.

I would love to see more videos posted in all areas of science. One of my ideas for future SciShow endeavors would be to have quick interviews with scientists in different fields to see what they are working on. You could have everything from zoology to astrophysics to organic chemistry and more! Being able to see what others are doing to further our knowledge of the universe is extremely inspiring. :-)

While I certainly enjoy some of the more easy and fun topics that have been presented, I would love to delve into some deeper and more complex issues as well.

What are some of your ideas for future SciShow episodes?

Comments

• TeslaTesla Posts: 20
    I don't have a specific episode suggestion; however, as the president of my school's Science Club, I would love to see more SciShow Experiments! The existing ones are great demonstrations that introduce students to a variety of new topics. Furthermore, they allow students to foster a growing interest in science. Any simple, non-cliche experiments would be great to see in the near future!

Mindblowing astrophysics videos would also be awesome! Everyone loves having their mind blown! :D
  • bexinterrobangbexinterrobang Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    Some Mythbusters-style videos might be quite nice, like a combination of IDTTMWYTIMs and Experiments.

(By the way, @Tesla, can you solve a Rubik's cube? Your profile picture intrigued me :) )

Please @ me when you want to say something to me!
    It's against my religion to hate: ask me about it if you're interested :)
    "Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person
    The non-tea drinkers... all of the awesome, none of the tea.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."

• Some Mythbusters-style videos might be quite nice, like a combination of IDTTMWYTIMs and Experiments.

(By the way, @Tesla, can you solve a Rubik's cube? Your profile picture intrigued me :) )
    The 5-cube is sometimes called a Professor's Cube. I have solved it, but I cheated. I basically memorized the algorithms for someone else's solution. The Rubik's Cube was invented after Nikola Tesla died, so I find your name+pic combo pretty interesting @Tesla

Oh, and for future videos, how about Coriolis effect? Oh, I should have put the toilet-flushing vortex thing in the IDTIMWYTIM section. And a classic experiment is the potential energy of a bowling ball, maybe Hank could make a really intense theatrical version.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253
    @thisisjackolantern I know it is, but I started at the basic level :P 

"Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person

• ermaerma Posts: 1
    The sleep one sounds like something i'd be interested in too. Or one on theories on how the brain produces conciousness. Pretty please :)
    erma said:
    The sleep one sounds like something i'd be interested in too. Or one on theories on how the brain produces conciousness. Pretty please :)
    Ooooh yes! Consciousness is always interesting. Does anyone have any theories of their own?

• MercurialMercurial Posts: 9
    I would love to hear more about neuroscience! I'm an undergrad studying biology and work in a neuroscience lab right now. So, yeah, the idea of consciousness would be a great topic to cover!

In particular though, a topic that I think would be interesting to a lot of viewers is the concept of neural plasticity. There's a lot of different directions an episode could go with this one. Neural plasticity of learning, or how drugs or neurodegenerative diseases change in terms of plasticity -- for example, when rats are given cocaine it is seen that their brains actually develop more synapses and more dendritic spines, thus leading to sensitization. Fascinating!

There is actually some website now (wish I could remember the name of it! But it advertises on SciShow or CrashCourse, that's how I heard about it) which is based on the concept of neural plasticity and how their games can help your brain become more efficient at problem solving.. or something. I wish I knew more about it; I'm not sure how credible it may or may not be, but it's an interesting idea at very least! :)

If there are any other nerdfighter neuroscientists around, you're welcome to send me a message! :p I'd love to geek out with you.
    Rock out like you are the International Skee Ball Champion of the Entire Universe. - Anis Mojgani
  • thepiratequeenktthepiratequeenkt Posts: 34 ✭✭
    I'd really like a video explaining what my job is so that my family could understand it but I think that may be too specific :P

Maybe one on PCR and why it's important. Or antibiotic resistance (Canada has a campaign 'not all bugs need drugs,' so it would be great to have a video to show kids about it). Or one on friendly bacteria? Not just the ones in your gut but also the ones that hang out on your skin and compete with nastier bugs or wait for an opportunity to attack, etc. Or the importance of vaccines (See 'An Epidemic of Fear' by Amy Wallace in Wired magazine as one of my favourite articles to send people to).

• Mercurial said:
    I would love to hear more about neuroscience! I'm an undergrad studying biology and work in a neuroscience lab right now. So, yeah, the idea of consciousness would be a great topic to cover!

In particular though, a topic that I think would be interesting to a lot of viewers is the concept of neural plasticity. There's a lot of different directions an episode could go with this one. Neural plasticity of learning, or how drugs or neurodegenerative diseases change in terms of plasticity -- for example, when rats are given cocaine it is seen that their brains actually develop more synapses and more dendritic spines, thus leading to sensitization. Fascinating!

There is actually some website now (wish I could remember the name of it! But it advertises on SciShow or CrashCourse, that's how I heard about it) which is based on the concept of neural plasticity and how their games can help your brain become more efficient at problem solving.. or something. I wish I knew more about it; I'm not sure how credible it may or may not be, but it's an interesting idea at very least! :)

If there are any other nerdfighter neuroscientists around, you're welcome to send me a message! :p I'd love to geek out with you.
    I secretly really REALLY want there to be an entire CrashCourse someday on Neuroscience topics (maybe even teach them once I know what I'm talking about), but I would totally settle for some intermittent SciShow vids on Neuroscience. The Human Connectome video was awesome.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253
  • inwardpluminwardplum Posts: 246 ✭✭
    I've found that coming up with ideas for SciShow episodes can be hard, because most of the time I don't even realize I wanted to know something until I see the new video pop up. Every new video seems to be another case of "IT'S EVERYTHING I NEVER KNEW I ALWAYS WANTED!!!"

I do love how videos keep up with current events, so hopefully that continues!
    DFTBA!

twitter: audridavis
    tumblr: squidkitten - this is an obnoxious fandom blog and for that I am sorry
  • LalocheziaLalochezia Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited November 2012

I'd really like a video explaining what my job is so that my family could understand it but I think that may be too specific :P

Maybe one on PCR and why it's important. Or antibiotic resistance (Canada has a campaign 'not all bugs need drugs,' so it would be great to have a video to show kids about it). Or one on friendly bacteria? Not just the ones in your gut but also the ones that hang out on your skin and compete with nastier bugs or wait for an opportunity to attack, etc. Or the importance of vaccines (See 'An Epidemic of Fear' by Amy Wallace in Wired magazine as one of my favourite articles to send people to).
    I would love to see an episode on antibiotic resistance that maybe also works in how plasmids work.

Also, having worked with children with autism, one of my biggest pet peeves are the various myths about vaccines, so an episode on that would be great as well.
    by Lalochezia
  • Some Mythbusters-style videos might be quite nice, like a combination of IDTTMWYTIMs and Experiments.

I think Mythbuster style episodes would be amazing. Hank could somehow acquire a load of explosives and blow stuff up. Totally scientific. 
    I believe in Sherlock Holmes. Moriarty was real. 
  • inwardpluminwardplum Posts: 246 ✭✭
    Some Mythbusters-style videos might be quite nice, like a combination of IDTTMWYTIMs and Experiments.

I think Mythbuster style episodes would be amazing. Hank could somehow acquire a load of explosives and blow stuff up. Totally scientific. 
    purely for scientific reasons.
    purely.
    DFTBA!

twitter: audridavis
    tumblr: squidkitten - this is an obnoxious fandom blog and for that I am sorry
  • shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    erma said:
    Ooooh yes! Consciousness is always interesting. Does anyone have any theories of their own?
    If you're interested in consciousness that is still under Philosophy, in the Philosophy of the Mind.
    I really liked 'What it's Like to be a Bat" by Thomas Nagal, and there's a lot more out there. To find out more as well as "Consciousness" you might want to look into Functionalism, and 'the Explanatory Gap"

by shaunaaaah
  • TeslaTesla Posts: 20
    edited November 2012
    @bexinterrobang Late reply, but yes, I can. Speed cubing is a big hobby of mine haha
    by Tesla
    Tesla said:
    @bexinterrobang Late reply, but yes, I can. Speed cubing is a big hobby of mine haha
    I am impressed! I can but it takes me about a minute at my fastest, so not exactly speed-cubing :3

To everyone else, it's threads like these that just make me want to learn everything. It's awesome to see how everyone has their own little areas of expertise and/or interest :)

• KruglordKruglord Posts: 10
    I think SciShow should do a video comparing and contrasting Linnaean taxonomy and Phylogenetics.

The short of it is that originally, Linnaeus assigned each living things into 7 layers of classification. Phylum, class, order, family, genus and species. It soon became clear that 7 was not nearly enough ranks, taxonomists just kept adding layers, such as super-order, infra-order etc. Eventually it became clear that there are no ranks in nature, so they threw out the ranks all together and created a system which uses an arbitrary number of divisions called Phylogenetics. The divisions in phylogenetics occur when a lineage of organisms diverged into separate species, making it far superior to Linnaeus' method of assigning groups into arbitrary layers. 

There are some extremely common misconceptions about the nature of evolution taxonomy that arise from the use of Linnaean taxonomy. One such misconception is that, addressed on SciShow before, is that birds are not dinosaurs. In fact, they are, because birds have a direct ancestor that certainly is a dinosaur. In the same way, humans certainly are both apes and monkeys. Not only do we fit all of the required morphological characteristics, we also share direct ancestors that are definitely apes and ancestors that are definitely monkeys.

So yeah. Some rich material there.
  • I would like to see an episode on how mosquito repellents work >_>
  • imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    This might just be because I'm an optometry student and am taking a class pretty much dedicated to this, but I think a video about how some optical illusions work (like how the eye/brain process the information to make you see something that isn't there) would be cool!  Maybe something with after images since that is something that could easily be done in video format.  Our brain just does some really cool things and my Theory and Methods of Vision Testing professor likes to tell us that all the illusions he shows us are magic since our brain is showing us things that aren't really there
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • FilliamHMuffmanFilliamHMuffman Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I think there needs to be more episodes featuring experiments. Even the simple ones like litmus test and current through a lemon are better than just pure recitation. At the heart of science is the experiment, the test on whether our current understanding meets the realities of the world.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
    "The key thing about all the world's big problems is that they have to be dealt with collectively. If we don't get collectively smarter, we're doomed."
    "The death of a nation is the moment when the public is tricked into believing the cynical position as the reasonable position."
  • softcannonballssoftcannonballs Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I think the SciShow crew should team up with MinutePhysics, Veritaserum, vsauce, numberphile, Quirkology, bigthink, and all of those other YouTube science peoples for one legendary hour-long science extravaganza.

One can dream. :3
    turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream
  • I think the SciShow crew should team up with MinutePhysics, Veritaserum, vsauce, numberphile, Quirkology, bigthink, and all of those other YouTube science peoples for one legendary hour-long science extravaganza.

THAT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL. O___O
  • PyroTimeLadyPyroTimeLady Posts: 10
    I'm afraid this won't sound very scientific- but blow stuff up!  And, of course I want to learn stuff about it, being in love with Chemistry.  But fire is still amazing.
    ~Don't tell me I'm not from Gallifrey!~
                     "Give me a torch. I am not for this ambling. Being but heavy, I will bear the light."
  • insomniacinsomniac Sarajevo, Bosnia and HerzegovinaPosts: 183 ✭✭
    I'm afraid this won't sound very scientific- but blow stuff up!  And, of course I want to learn stuff about it, being in love with Chemistry.  But fire is still amazing.
    http://tinyurl.com/cuqbwpl
  • I think the SciShow crew should team up with MinutePhysics, Veritaserum, vsauce, numberphile, Quirkology, bigthink, and all of those other YouTube science peoples for one legendary hour-long science extravaganza.

THAT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL. O___O
    Beautiful... is an unforgivable understatement. :D
    'God is not the voice in the whirlwind, God is the whirlwind.' ~Margaret Atwood
  • shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    How do different colors work? I get that we see colors because of light refracting off stuff and it reacting with the rods and cones in our eyes and our brains sort it out.
    What I'm confused about is the "something happens" stage where "light refracts off stuff" how do the different colors happen, is it different chemicals or something? Like why is my wall yellow and my sheets blue?
    Lots of philosophers call color a secondary condition(so it's in me not in the object) but...then would the awful pattern on the carpet in the library be all in my head...? It's not the kind of thing I'd make so there must be something in the thing to make me think the carpet's a dumb ugly stripy pattern of blues and browns and yellows and reds...?
    I've done a small amount of research and have found nothing so I'm kind-of expecting a "we're not sure about that", or "it's really really super complicated" answer, or somewhere inbetween. My formal science education stopped after grade 10 so yeah
  • aiyoungaiyoung Posts: 19
    edited December 2012
    How do different colors work? I get that we see colors because of light refracting off stuff and it reacting with the rods and cones in our eyes and our brains sort it out.
    What I'm confused about is the "something happens" stage where "light refracts off stuff" how do the different colors happen, is it different chemicals or something? Like why is my wall yellow and my sheets blue?
    Lots of philosophers call color a secondary condition(so it's in me not in the object) but...then would the awful pattern on the carpet in the library be all in my head...? It's not the kind of thing I'd make so there must be something in the thing to make me think the carpet's a dumb ugly stripy pattern of blues and browns and yellows and reds...?
    I've done a small amount of research and have found nothing so I'm kind-of expecting a "we're not sure about that", or "it's really really super complicated" answer, or somewhere inbetween. My formal science education stopped after grade 10 so yeah
    Here's a pretty simplified explanation of how color works. 

edit: is there a good way to embed videos on this forum, or is all that disabled?

double edit: never mind, smart forum is smart and took care of it. 

Tripple edit:

You should also check out this excellent pod cast on color. 

by aiyoung
    Posted via immobile device
  • writtenwisheswrittenwishes College Dorm RoomPosts: 3,078 ✭✭✭
    Definitely more experiment involving episodes, it would make SciShow even more interesting (and awesome)!
  • LucyisaliveLucyisalive Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Quantum Mechanics? Bit heavy duty I realise! But if anyone can help me understand it SciShow can!

'To love another person is to see the face of God' - Les Miserablés 

'There's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for' - The Lord of the Rings, The Two Towers.  

'This is why I love books... they jump into the abyss to be with you.' - John Green