Currently Reading

suchduckssuchducks cat-i-tude crewFloridaPosts: 51 Mod
What are you guys reading right now? Post it here for everybody to know about.

I'm reading Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson which is, of course, a book about Brian Wilson. It's currently overdue at my school library, oops.

Comments

• The Casual Vacancy.  I'm a tad bit late to the party.
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just started reading the enormous Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I haven't seen the series yet so I thought I'd read the books first, but my god it's dauntingly big. It's great so far, though. It's so rich. And actually I'm one of those people who always has multiple on the go so I'm also like a quarter of the way through The Casual Vacancy :) 
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • bluejaybluejay Posts: 14
    About to start Code Name Verity for my book club and just finished The Casual Vacancy for the same book club
  • BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    I recently finished reading Long Way Round but have had a bit of trouble deciding what to read next. Today I am leaning towards World War Z by Max Brooks, but that may change by the time I head to the library tomorrow.
  • hlp0045hlp0045 Posts: 25
    Re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Also I'm reading Austerlitz and The Epic of Sundjata... lol I'm an English major, I'm constantly reading a million things at once =)
  • shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    @ashsayshello the ASOIAF series is amazing, it's definitely worth the daunting task of 5 ~900 page books. If you're unsure watch a few episodes of the show and remember that the books are even better.

A Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling. and A Dance With Dragons by GRRM(I only have it in PDF form, until the paperback version is released here, but I need something to read in bed before sleeping so two books)
    by shaunaaaah
  • ashsayshelloashsayshello AustraliaPosts: 2,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ashsayshello the ASOIAF series is amazing, it's definitely worth the daunting task of 5 ~900 page books. If you're unsure watch a few episodes of the show and remember that the books are even better.
    Don't worry, I can already sense that these books are incredible. The amount of detail is amazing. I've only read about 40 pages but I'm enjoying it immensely. That Viserys is a bit of a creeper.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizzas in Our Pants." | I live in the land of the Last Ones
  • OldRedInkOldRedInk Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    by OldRedInk
  • hopewithushopewithus Posts: 10
    edited November 2012
    I have this disease where halfway through a book I start reading another one so I'm halfway through How to be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway, which is a novel about a Japanese woman who marries a soldier during WWII and has to learn how to be his American wife. The other nook I'm reading is How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran. Despite the similarities in title this is a nonfiction book on how feminism is now viewed as this insane extreme way of living but it isn't: it's just taking a stand. Moran's hilarious and FANTASTIC with words. 
    by hopewithus
  • kriatkriat Posts: 7
    I'm reading Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card. It's the first in the prequel series to Ender's Game/Shadow. I'm about sixty pages in and so far I think it's a worthy prequel. Next I'm gonna be reading Paper Towns for the first time. I think it's by this guy named Jon Blue? Jay Purple? I dunno never heard of him before, he's definitely not a popular video blogger. 
  • YossarianYossarian Posts: 44
    Three things:
    -Infinte Jest, which, after a successful initial burst of headway, I've been neglecting for the last few months because I'm just not in the right place for that kind of commitment right now.

-The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, because I'm on the search for the Great American Novel, and I've been told that this just might be it. So far, I gotta say, it's living up to the hype.

-A Short History of Nearly Everything, because after reading all these novels, sometimes I want to learn something. My progress is coming in fits and spurts, but so far, it's even more fun than I was expecting and profoundly interesting.
  • neferkhetneferkhet Mountain View, CAPosts: 56 ✭✭
    I just started A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin, and I have no idea what I'm going to do when I finish.  It's going to be so hard to wait for the next book in the series.
    preferred pronouns: anything gender neutral or 'he'
  • valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    I am reading a book of poetry  by Patricia Lockwood called "Balloon Pop Outlaw Black". It has a herd of naked quadrupedal Popeyes on the cover. It is very interesting thus far.

Also reading "The Lifespan of a Fact" by John D'Agata and Jim Fingal; it contains an article that John D'Agata wrote that was rejected by a magazine because it took too many liberties with facts. Surrounding the article on each page is the factchecking work that Fingal did and his discussions with his editor and D'Agata. It sounds boring and weird but it is FASCINATING.
  • I just started Pride and Prejudice last night because I really love the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and I've never read the book or seen the movie so I figured I should get on that. The last time I tried to read P&P I gave up about a fourth of the way through, so I was pleasantly surprised last night when I started reading and the language wasn't as big a challenge for me as it was whenever I last tried to read it, so kudos to my high school English teachers I guess. All that classic literature actually taught me something (well, besides the fact that I love classic literature).

I've also been meaning to finish The Magician King by Lev Grossman since September. I'm really bad about reading half of a book and setting it down and forgetting about it if I stop reading at a low point in the story. 
  • Re-reading The Two Towers. In prep for The Hobbit, I am making a pilgrimage back through Middle Earth. Hopefully by the time the movie comes out I'll have made it through The Silmarillion. I haven't read the stories in so long, it's like the first time all over again! Like John says of Moby PIZZZAA, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy is hard to read, but fun. Tolkien is truly a treasure of the world. (I say IS, because as long as his books live on in people discovering the comfort of The Shire and the hallowed halls of Gondor and the terror of Mordor, he will live on. And I hope to the stars above that he will, indeed, live on.) <3 
  • inwardpluminwardplum Posts: 246 ✭✭
    I re-read The Perks of Being a Wallflower in preparation for the movie and then started re-reading it all over again once I finished. Now that I have the new box set, I might go back through John's books again. I'm also considering The Immortals series. I haven't started The Casual Vacancy yet (college is crushing me this semester), and I feel like that makes me a bad Rowling fan.
    DFTBA!

twitter: audridavis
    tumblr: squidkitten - this is an obnoxious fandom blog and for that I am sorry
  • smugpenguinsmugpenguin Posts: 24
    Life of Pi. It's brilliant. 
    Moon or quit, man.
  • BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    @ThatCrazyFangirl Hear, hear! Tolkien is certainly one of my favourite authors, and I find it impossible to read his work too many times. 
  • halfspicehalfspice Posts: 42
    The Casual Vacancy.  I'm a tad bit late to the party.
    Still ploughing through this - I just can't get into it but I'm determined to finish...I hear it picks up just past where I'm currently at.
  • subvertclichesubvertcliche Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I'm reading the sequel to Justin Cronin's apocalyptic epic, "The Passage". The second installment is called "The Twelve". I really enjoy his ability to weave together stories and characters and to create memorable bits of phrasing or scenes. They're very cinematic books, and I'd love to see them turned into films. Anyone else a fan?
    bluejay said:
    About to start Code Name Verity for my book club and just finished The Casual Vacancy for the same book club
    Let me know what you think of "Code Name Verity"! My high school book club has a mock-Printz award and it's on the book list for that. Sometime in the next few months I'll be reading it whether it's great or not.
  • Currently reading The Pale King but I've tailed off somewhat recently, dfw is a bit too intensely dark for my life right.

I cannot recommend The Casual Vacancy enough though, for everyone who is reading/thinking about reading it. I am a huge Rowling fan and it was a real pleasure to see her treating real world grown up problems with the same care and nuance she gave to Potter. Her characterisation is excellent.
  • DitchfairyDitchfairy Posts: 17
    I am currently reading Go Ask Alice, I'm almost done. It has been very good, but not my favorite book, but good.
    What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more then a person.
    John Green, Paper Towns
  • randirethrandireth Posts: 16
    I'm almost done with The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and about to start re-reading The Hobbit to get ready for the new film...
  • rizadatuonrizadatuon Posts: 8
    I'm currently reading A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. Got it from a booksale and was curious because it has the Printz honor shiny thingy on its cover (I judge books sometimes by their covers hehe). I'm still not done though since I'm not fond of historical novels. It's pretty good tho for a historical novel. 

And I might re-read The Catcher in the Rye since I was pretty tired from school when I first read it and had no reactions whatsoever when I finished it. I knew I had to read it again.
    Twitter: rizadatuon // Tumblr: thegr-eat-perhaps
    dftba!! <3
  • Right now I'm reading The Complete Brigadier Gerard by Arthur Conan Doyle, because Sherlock Holmes is brilliant and I figured that I ought to give his other work a try. I'm finding it entertaining, but hard to trust Gerard as a narrator (because he's kind of conceited), but I get that it's supposed to be that way. Also, just finished Pigs Have Wings, by P. G. Wodehouse (in my never ending quest to read all of that great man's works). It was hilarious as usual.
  • someday42someday42 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
    I just started Pride and Prejudice last night because I really love the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and I've never read the book or seen the movie so I figured I should get on that. 

I started reading P&P again after watching Lizzie Bennet too!  It's interesting to go through them together and see the little nods and details that they reinterpreted from the book.  I think I'd overlook some of them if I wasn't reading the book at the same time. 

Anyway, I read like 3 or 4 books at a time, so in addition to P&P, I'm also reading The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde, American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and Song of the Quarkbeast, also by Jasper Fforde.  I've not read Casual Vacancy yet, but it's on my list to acquire. :)
    Oh, now what's this, then? I love this. A big, flashy-lighty thing. That's what brought me here. Big, flashy-lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually, but give me time... and a crayon.
    --The Doctor
  • runaruna Posts: 71 ✭✭
    I just recently decided to pick the Artemis Fowl books up again.  I figured, I'd started them in elementary school, never really got into them as much as a lot of people did, but I thought I'd revisit them to see how it all ends.  About halfway through The Last Guardian now.  
  • AikitiknAikitikn Posts: 8
    I just started reading Duma Key by Stephen King last night and I've also been reading a book of Edna St. Vincent Millay's poetry. Millay is a wonderful poet, obviously, so I'm really enjoying going through that. Stephen King has written some really great books (The Gunslinger) but he's also written some really terrible ones (Christine), so I'm looking forward to seeing how Duma Key turns out.
    "All I know is that I know nothing." -Socrates
  • AbiCoooperAbiCoooper Posts: 87 ✭✭
    Life of Pi. It's brilliant. 
    OH MY GOODNESS YES. One of my favourite books of all time, hands down. 

I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice because I felt like a bad LBD fan, and I'm loving it. Darcy is totally adorable!

Next on my list, Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. It's enormous so I've been putting it off for a while but I need to get round to it.