Currently Reading

Comments

• isaowenisaowen In my Great PerhapsPosts: 2
    The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Brackens, up to now I've learned that in a dystopian future most kids are likely to die..
    Next I want to read a contemporary, not sure which.
  • Wyld_IceWyld_Ice Brisbane, QLD, AustraliaPosts: 7
    Game of Thrones: A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin. I'm know I'm late to this series but it's so engrossing. I've never read a story from so many different points of view and it's brilliant.There are one or 2 character story lines I'm not particularly interested in but the other storylines more than make up for it
    Never ever let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them for they have no imagination. The sky's the limit. Your sky, your limit. Now, lets dance.
       - Tom Hiddleston
  • KiarKiar Elsewhere Posts: 14,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh, good series. I only read them all last year. My favorite was a Storm of Swords, I think. 

Currently rereading Contact, by Carl Sagan. 
    "A ship is always safer at the shore, but that is not what it is built for."
    My writing project
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard. Much, much better than I had anticipated so far.
  • happyJustinhappyJustin Posts: 2
    Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Heavy going, but well worth it. Lots about the Templars, Rosicrucians, and the rituals of secret societies. It's what the Da Vinci code wants to be when it grows up.
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 607 ✭✭✭
    Recently finished The Perks of being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. Very very good, but I found the ending quite disturbing, probably because the rest of the book hit so close home to me. Kind of a shocking ending from that perspective.
    Currently reading Mannen utan ryggrad (Currently don't know how to translate it, it depends on the content) by Peo Bengtsson, Karolinerna (The Caroleans) by Verner von Heidenstam, and Crystal Gorge by David Eddings.
    Huh? Just three books? What's wrong with me?
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • ElrondtheGreyElrondtheGrey Fort Collins, ColoradoPosts: 31
    Waverley by Sir Walter Scott. Can't say much about it, I only just started, but so far it seems like a pretty good book
  • lovelikeangelslovelikeangels ValyriaPosts: 276 ✭✭✭
    A Feast for Crows - GRRM
    If you are plagued by externals, it is not they who trouble you, but the importance you give them.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • undumbblondeundumbblonde CanadaPosts: 555 ✭✭✭
    I am at the halfway point of City of Heavenly Fire from the Mortal Instruments series. Pretty excited seeing as it's a 700 page book. tbh I had forgotten what happened in the previous books since it had been so long but I'm getting the gist of it.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    As You Wish.  Wasn't aware of it until Hank and Katherine's P4A commentary for Princess Bride, and I'm making my way through it rather slowly and reading other things between, but it's fun.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
    Changing My Mind by Zadie Smith. I want her to marry me, but of course she's married to Nick Laird, who looks like this
  • geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin which is excellent so far. I really like it. 
  • Mafe15239Mafe15239 PerúPosts: 27

The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.

Going to read a bunch of short story collections while I put together a portfolio for grad school. I'm starting with Self-Help by Loorie Moore, which is quite good so far.

(Also, if anyone would like to recommend some short story collections that they think I ought to read, that'd be cool).
  • ZaraPZaraP NerdfighteriaPosts: 46 ✭✭
    I just started Spinster by Kate Bolick, and I'm enjoying it so far.

"Humanity is good. Some people are terrible and broken, but humanity is good. I believe that." -JG

Internet places I frequent: YouTube    Goodreads    Tumblr    Twitter

Currently reading Smek for President by Adam Rex! Super excited to experience this sequel!!
  • MarcellaMarcella Yeah The NetherlandsPosts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    The Maze Runner, it's really fast-paced and it really keeps your attention!
    "If the kids don't believe, make them believe."

- Alex Gaskarth
    Wrote a review for the book I just finished (Smek For President) (here's the link if you feel like reading it)
  • ArtsyKRArtsyKR New JerseyPosts: 11
    I am currently reading two books: The lies my teacher told me by James W. Loewen; Lavache_Beads you may enjoy. It isn't short stories, per se, but you can flip around in the book and it is a brilliant read. The other is Spinster by Kate Bolick and it also very good.
  • ZaraPZaraP NerdfighteriaPosts: 46 ✭✭
    I'm currently in the middle of Spinster as well, and I'm really enjoying it! Planning on starting Shadowshaper by Daniel José Older later today.

"Humanity is good. Some people are terrible and broken, but humanity is good. I believe that." -JG

Internet places I frequent: YouTube    Goodreads    Tumblr    Twitter

Purity by the infamous Jonathan Franzen... Certainly not what I expected from him, but that's not necasarily a bad thing.
    edited September 2015
    ArtsyKR said:
    I am currently reading two books: The lies my teacher told me by James W. Loewen; Lavache_Beads you may enjoy. It isn't short stories, per se, but you can flip around in the book and it is a brilliant read. The other is Spinster by Kate Bolick and it also very good.
    Not exactly what I'm looking for, but I looked it up and it sounds good. I'll get to it after this grad school madness is over with :) Thanks Artsy!
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • IAmMeglosIAmMeglos Posts: 3
    I'm reading Sir Thomas Malory's Le Morte Darthur. It was written in the 1470s in late middle english language, and it is just fascinating. Once I read T.H. White's The Once and Future King and saw how much he cared about Le Morte, which he used as source material, I just had to go back to the beginning and give it a try. 
    I didn't learn the bass clef, now I'm in a lot of treble.
    An Abundance of Katherines. Good meta-fictional fun, although it's amazing to see how much John improved his writing between AAOK and TFIOS.
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 607 ✭✭✭
    Re-reading Harry Potter and the goblet of fire
    Reading Karolinerna ("the Caroleans") by Verner von Heidenstam (this one takes some time to get through!)
    Reading Black Sun Rising by C.S. Friedman. Dark and thrilling fantasy, why have I let it stand unread in my library for two years before I decided to see if it was worth the dollar it cost me??
    Also reading/re-reading Der Seher ("the seer", an Asterix and Obelix comic) by Albert Underzo. Only read it in Swedish before, but although I suck at German, I hope I'm good enough to get through a comic. Sister's idea: to get some training in German by reading something easy enough to be able to get through.
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
    edited November 2015
    Lit by Mary Karr, which I can't reccomend too strongly. 
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • I'm currently reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. In English class this year, I watched Adichie's TED Talk on the "single story" and I really enjoyed it, so I figured I would give one of her books a read. So far, I have not been disappointed!
  • centauriecentaurie BelgiumPosts: 48
    Crimson Petal & The White by Michel Faber!
  • fingerscrossedfingerscrossed MainePosts: 164 ✭✭
    Right now I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which is really good and a nice mental break compared to the last book I read, which was 1984 (which was also very good but much more mentally intensive).
    There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
  • ilydiailydia USAPosts: 11

Right now I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which is really good and a nice mental break compared to the last book I read, which was 1984 (which was also very good but much more mentally intensive).

I put this book on hold earlier this week after finishing Emily St John Mandel's Station Eleven. I read a few comparisons of the two, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it!