Currently Reading

1161718192022»

Comments

• centauriecentaurie BelgiumPosts: 48
    Ok, finished the Faber book, now on to the unfinished novels of Jane Austen (including Sanditon)
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Just finished the coldfire trilogy by C.S. Friedman. Oh holy sweet lord, those books were the best in a very, very long time. Like, if they'd been edible I'd continue eating until I almost puked but would still find it hard not to nibble a bit more.
    *Nomnomnom*
    The meaning of life is to give life a meaning
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    City on Fire by Garth Risk Hallberg.

I was a little reluctant to like it, because of all the insane hype surrounding it, but I'm powerless to admit that the novel lives up to the hype. This is possibly the best work of fiction published in the US since The Corrections.
  • ZaraPZaraP NerdfighteriaPosts: 46 ✭✭
    A bunch of books for class about budgeting, policy, and quantitative methods... :P But other than that, Life on Mars (Tracy K. Smith) and Rookie Yearbook One (edited by Tavi Gevinson). About to start Carol by Patricia Highsmith.

"Humanity is good. Some people are terrible and broken, but humanity is good. I believe that." -JG

Internet places I frequent: YouTube    Goodreads    Tumblr    Twitter

• fingerscrossedfingerscrossed MainePosts: 164 ✭✭
    ilydia said:

Right now I'm reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, which is really good and a nice mental break compared to the last book I read, which was 1984 (which was also very good but much more mentally intensive).

I put this book on hold earlier this week after finishing Emily St John Mandel's Station Eleven. I read a few comparisons of the two, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it!
    Have you gotten to read it yet? I really enjoyed it. I have kind of a soft spot for magic. And historical fiction. And mysteries. So, like everything in that book.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
  • centauriecentaurie BelgiumPosts: 48
    The Welcome to Nightvale novel, and the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy ! Last one's a reread, I'm planning on finishing the entire series this year...
    Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Very good book.
  • Gray_ThomasGray_Thomas Posts: 3
    Reading The Foundation series and really getting into it
  • Gara_the_engineerGara_the_engineer In a log house at the edge of the forestPosts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I've finally finished Karolinerna ("the Caroleans") by Verner von Heidenstam, just finished So, Anyway... by John Cleese, and are currently reading Katarina av Medici by Leone Frieda and very impatiently waiting for my next book by C.S. Friedman. This means that I'm currently only reading one book. Weird.
  • Watson9483Watson9483 Posts: 14
    I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird. I've been going back and forth between new books and old ones, and this is one of te more classical ones.
  • fingerscrossedfingerscrossed MainePosts: 164 ✭✭
    I'm finally reading Jane Eyre. I remember really liking this abridged version I read as a kid (which is odd) and I'm super excited.
    There are only two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
  • Displeased_KittenDispleased_Kitten Texas, USAPosts: 3
    edited March 2016
    I'm reading The Beautiful and the Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and I'm honestly really enjoying coming up with new theories about the characters, I definitely recommend it.
    by Displeased_Kitten
    My Struggle: Book 2 by Karl Ove Knausgaard. So far pretty good, but for whatever reason it's not great, like the first one was.
  • Watson9483Watson9483 Posts: 14
    David Copperfield
    edited April 2016
    Wings of Wrath by Celia Friedman. It's not as addictively good as the Coldfire trilogy by the same author, but it sure is addictively good. *Returns to book*
    by Gara_the_engineer
  • dftbastarkiddftbastarkid FinlandPosts: 24
    Finally reading The Hobbit but it's taking me forever
  • I am currently reading the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson. I'm only in the second book, but so far I am really enjoying it.
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭
    I just finished the Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul and am eventually going to start reading Dirk Gently Holistic Detective. If you know anything about these books the first thing you're probably thinking is that I'm reading them backwards.

I found the second book at Barns and Noble while I was out of town visiting my grandparents. I knew it was the second book in the pair but they didn't have the first one and I wanted to read it. I originally read Hitchhiker's Guide out of order not realizing there were five books so the way I see I'm just carrying on a tradition of reading Douglas Adams' books in the wrong order.

On the plus side reading these books in the wrong order is way less confusing than Hitchhiker's Guide. Life, the Universe, and Everything opens with Ford and Arthur still trapped on prehistoric Earth which is confusing when the first time I read it I didn't know how they got there in the first place. I totally skipped the second book and later had to go back to read it. Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul stands pretty well on it's own. You could easily pick it up and follow the story without knowing anything about the first book.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭
    I just finished reading Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell as research for something I'm trying to write. Except it was so good, I forgot to pay attention to the way it was written. I was too immersed in the story.
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
  • RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭
    Since my last post, I actually finished reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency... And while reading realized a few part seemed familiar... familiar because there are scenes in the book that are almost word for word taken from Shada which Douglas Adams wrote for Doctor Who. The TV story was never completed. Several scenes were filmed and it was eventually released on DVD but the missing parts were filled in the same was they did the missing Patrick Troughton era episodes. I have seen the clips of the scenes that were actually shot and that's why it was so familiar. It also helps that Douglas Adams didn't even bother to change the name of one of the characters.

Dirk Gently takes the place of the Doctor, Richard MacDuff takes the place of Romana, and Professor Chronotis is still Professor Chronotis. He couldn't make any mention of Gallifrey, Time Lords, or the T.A.R.D.I.S. because they're all copy righted by the BBC but he is still much the same character as he was in Shada.

Shada was also published as a book... which I just got yesterday. So that's going to be interesting to read right after reading Dirk Gently. There are some differences as well as the similarities between the two stories but now I get to find out exactly how much of that book really was based on Shada.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • MonaMona Posts: 38 ✭✭
    American Gods - Neil Gaiman
    "Nothing happens unless first a dream" - Carl Sandburg

Goodreads Profile
  • username_not_foundusername_not_found United StatesPosts: 13
    I just started The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. John mentioned it in one of his videos and I picked it up about a year ago, but I'm just now getting around to reading it.
  • RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    I'm currently reading On the Road by Kerouac. It's fascinating!
  • RenskyRensky Posts: 2
    I'm reading Swann's Way by Proust and after 30 pages I felt buried in words. Not to say they were bad words. There just happens to be a lot of them.
  • mysticnerdfightermysticnerdfighter PennsylvaniaPosts: 20
    Finished up Looking For Alaska. I'm now reading The Hate U Give. Yeah, I took a book recommendation from John.
    "There's nothing better than a world where everybody's just trying to make each other laugh.”--Matthew Perry :D

Don't forget to be awesome <3