Working Through This is Not Tom

amelia9009amelia9009 NYCPosts: 165 ✭✭✭
Hello! For a while I've been wanting to find my way through This is Not Tom. I, alas, was not around for the original process of solving it (oh the things I missed by not becoming a nerdfighter before 2010.) Anyway, I was thinking that maybe if others wanted to join in we could use this thread for working together on all the riddles or dropping hints or other things of that nature. John's website says that solving the riddles is basically impossible without crowdsourcing. I hardly know where to start. What do you say?

http://www.thisisnottom.com/
Activate your force-fields and just keep going.
youtube twitter tumblr

Comments

• YaYazooGirlYaYazooGirl Posts: 29
    I'll like to join! Although I'm not that good at solving riddles, I can try!
    The Secret British Non-Tea Drinking Society -All the awesome, none of the tea!

• amelia9009amelia9009 NYCPosts: 165 ✭✭✭
    It all stems from thisisnottom.com, I'm on the third riddle now (though I semi-accidentally looked up the second one, but I never would have gotten it on my own.) You just have to go through the pages and figure out what they want you to do to move on to the next one!
    youtube twitter tumblr
  • poppylovepoppylove Posts: 52
    I feel really stupid for asking this, but how do I get to any of the riddles from the main page?
    No need to feel stupid. It's ridiculously tricky. The first page is the first riddle. They're mainly picture clues with words and such. Sometimes the questions are in the URL or the name in the tab, sometimes the question is more explicit. But like I said before, that first page with the picture and the sentence beneath it is the first riddle. You need to figure out what it's looking for.
    "You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star." - Nietzsche 

• FancyTealGiraffeFancyTealGiraffe Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I input the answer? There's just some guy gleefully pooping with the sentence "the QUCK brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" under it.

The Fancy Lad of the Last Ones

Check out my YouTube channel here, where I vlog every Monday! :D

• Sounds like a plan!

I tried to figure it out a while back. Twice I figured something out, but I couldn't find out where to go from there and had to give up.
    @FancyTealGiraffe you need to click on a hidden link in the page that will take you to the next riddle.
    a hint:
    click on the thing that's missing

feel free to pm me if you still need help. I haven't made any new progress on the third one, though I haven't been trying a ton.
    youtube twitter tumblr
  • IronAnimationIronAnimation Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    I got the first one from the hint, slightly ashamed for not getting the riddle.
    Have a pleasant day
  • FancyTealGiraffeFancyTealGiraffe Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OHHHHHH ok on the second one. Thanks!

The Fancy Lad of the Last Ones

Check out my YouTube channel here, where I vlog every Monday! :D

• StageCraftStageCraft Posts: 76
    I too am on the 3rd riddle and I'm having no luck so far, but then I only started tonight.
    "Man forgets reality and remembers words.” 
    ― Roger Zelazny

International Tea-Drinkers Society ----- without the Tea it's just DFBA
  • AlineAline Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I'm gonna give it a try... :)
    Aline
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I'm in! 
    Very stuck on riddle 4 right now.
    by Catherine
  • ArielAriel Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I started This is Not Tom and I gave up on the videos. It was too hard for me.
  • aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    I kept meaning to try this out.  I got the first one fairly quickly, working on the second one now...
  • KCRjrKCRjr Posts: 160
    Is it possible to do this on an iPad?
    “There is no 'them', there are only facets of us.” -John Green
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    @KCRjr not sure. You have to view source code for web pages which I don't know if you can do with an ipad?

How do folks here feel about, like, helping each other through it, collaboratively solving clues, even if that means spoilers for some people (we could wait till everyone's at a certain puzzle then help out). The whole thing is designed to be collaborative, so I'd love to do it that way.
  • Dillz42Dillz42 Posts: 83
    @Catherine Love the idea. Should we get everyone to the same place first? So were is everyone in the puzzles?
    I still haven't made it through the third one. I keep forgetting about it.
    But I think we should definitely work together!
    youtube twitter tumblr
  • aSnowyEveningaSnowyEvening Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    I definitely think we should work together.  I've found that I can't really google successfully without spoiling myself, I accidentally read the answer to the third and fourth puzzles while trying to look for hints but not an answer.  I'm cool with using the spoiler tag, maybe saying something like "#4 hint below" and then putting the hint or whatever in the spoiler tag?

I'm on the fifth puzzle now, but I'm willing to give hints for folks behind me.  I promise I won't spoil things for you, I was spoiled myself and feel cheated from figuring the answers out.  :(
  • nigelliusnitroxnigelliusnitrox Hong KongPosts: 47
    Hello all, is this still ongoing?

So I heard of This Is Not Tom for some time already, but haven't actually tried playing through until recently. I am now on the second puzzle.

So one of the bigger question I have is how the site and the videos converge into the plot that is This Is Not Tom? Because solving the puzzle themselves are not that complicated, it's the part where stuff coming together.

• AgWolfAgWolf Posts: 1
    Okay, I've just started this puzzle set today, and I'm on the second one. I thought I had the answer, but when I put it in it says "Try typing it differently" I'm not entirely sure what to do there, so if anyone is still checking this thread, please help.
  • claraoswaldclaraoswald Hogwarts Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November 2013
    @AgWolf try getting rid of the spaces, i had the same problem.
    does anyone have any tips for the fifth riddle? I'm stumped.
    by claraoswald

_.•__WE THINK TOO MUCH AND FEEL TOO LITTLE. 

(_______. + ‘ ¯ ‘ +.

_‘ + . _ .  ‘ ____•._))

whoops a year has passed and I've repeatedly forgotten about this thread and still haven't made it past the third riddle.
    youtube twitter tumblr
  • larah29larah29 Posts: 1
    Where do I put the answer for the 3rd riddle?
  • samanne99samanne99 Posts: 1
    Is this still ongoing? Because I could really use some help! :)
  • BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,492 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    i'll join this effort! I got to the third puzzle a while back, but i dont remember how i got there. I am on the second right now.

update: I'm on the fourth puzzle now!
    by BriRose23

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    GOODREADS     TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM    ANOBII

• fabulousnetflixfabulousnetflix HogwartsPosts: 1
    Is anyone still here? I'm stuck on puzzle #2 right now.
  • thatnerdgirlthatnerdgirl Posts: 1
    My advice to open the source code. Some riddles, such as puzzles 1 and 2, have messages or hints in them, while some do not.
  • KGB_the_Russian_SpyKGB_the_Russian_Spy The Actually Rather Divided States of AmericaPosts: 3,668 ✭✭✭
    When you get to the "imagine a circle" page with the video, etc, it has numerical-and-occasionally-letter-gibberish.  I figured out it was hexadecimal, which you can convert to text.  It says, "thrillinginefactualsshimmeringandrenewthankyouthankyo", and I have no idea what to do with it...
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten"  ~Neil Gaiman
  • antique_roseantique_rose Posts: 17
    I can't get the last video one. Is the reason that (again) some things are not what they used to be when this was posted?
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 599 ✭✭✭
    I can't either. And I can't think about anything else.
    bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz