Watching Lizzie Bennet, but not read Pride and Prejudice

katjazzkatjazz Posts: 80 ✭✭
I adore Lizzie Bennet, but I actually haven't read or seen Pride and Prejudice, and I feel like I'm the only one. And then of course there's always spoilers in the comments :P

Anyone else in the same situation?

I'm too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness. 

Comments

• Absolutly!! I'm constantly telling myself not to look at the comments, but I do anyway.
  • Yep, that's pretty much me. At least when I read the book in the future, I'll be able to picture Lizzie and Darcy and everyone else in my head and that will probably make the book more satisfying for me.
    But I can't help but look at the comments, some of them are just so gosh darn entertaining!
    :))

World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization.

• katjazzkatjazz Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Do you think it's better that we haven't seen it? Like, it's more entertaining?
    And we don't have any preconceived notions of what it should be?
  • halfspicehalfspice Posts: 42
    I have two friends who started watching LBD and didn't know anything about P&P - one didn't even know it was a fictional vlog.

I don't think it detracts from the entertainment value - for me, I'm a big P&P fan and I love it in basically any medium, so I get a little bit of excitement over how its been adapted for this format. 
    however, just because I get a laugh out of Kitty Bennett being an actual cat doesn't mean someone who doesn't know she was originally another sister can't be totally invested in the character's unfolding lives. Its a timeless story that actually translates really well in this medium, so whether you've got previous exposure or not doesn't change the experience of watching it this way.

It's very different though. Like, you know what's going to happen, and you're watching it more to see HOW the adaptation works, whereas those of us who haven't read it are also looking to see the events that are going to unfold. So like the episode before Darcy Day, a lot of us were waiting just to see what Darcy was going to say and such (I mean we all figured that he was in love with her in the same way anyone does when reading or watching anything but we didn't know the specifics) while you were probably wondering how he looked and how they were going to tell us. Just a guess.

The one thing I also think we miss out on are some amusing references. Like, in the recent answers vlog on the Lydia channel someone asked "Do you ever feel like you're a secondary character in someone else's story?" and that was funny, but I think there are more of these that we don't get. Like the Kitty Bennett thing.
  • halfspicehalfspice Posts: 42
    I wouldn't deny that its a different experience, just that neither is superior. 

I think its worth noting that these characters are pretty different than most telling of the story, so even though I knew Wickham was coming, I can only anticipate his actions but not how he'll carry them out, if that makes sense? 
  • nathans115nathans115 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    I haven't read Pride & Prejudice, but I did see a movie adaptation, like years ago. So I don't remember much. I mostly remember the characters, and the general plot line, but not many of the small details. One major thing I remembered was the scene where Darcy confesses his love to Lizzie, so i've been eagerly awaiting that scene since the beginning. but other than that, the majority of the rest of the story up til now, I haven't remembered. So, I mostly think of this as something completely different than the actual story it is based upon. I normally don't try to remember what happened in the P&P story, and just appreciate it for what it is.
    "Can't pee against the wind? Eat a Slice!" - Olan Rogers
  • KlaraaKlaraa Posts: 18
    I'm currently reading Pride and Prejudice just because of LBD, it's gonna be really interesting watch them in a different way! 
  • bexinterrobangbexinterrobang Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    I've read it once, but it was a while ago, so I don't remember all the details but enough to get some of the little Easter eggs they put in :3 I'm going to wait until this finishes (sad thought :( ) before reading it again so I get the minimum amount of spoilers necessary.

Now these forums exist you can look on here to discuss them! And @Hank was very clear about spoilers, so there shouldn't really be any problem with that :)

Please @ me when you want to say something to me!
    It's against my religion to hate: ask me about it if you're interested :)
    "Context is everything." -- John Green, vlogbrother and generally awesome person
    The non-tea drinkers... all of the awesome, none of the tea.
    "Like cheese in our pockets, these are the Pizza in Our Pants."

I feel a little guilty, because this kind of goes directly against Read it First
  • ManWithABlueFoxManWithABlueFox Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I haven't read the book, but I already knew about some of the things that happened, and spoilers haven't bothered me before. I may be weird, but when I read or watch something, I feel like I'm a part of it, and my emotions get mixed in as though I'm the characters. That being said, I still warn people before I reveal any spoilers. With Lizze Bennet, I comment more on how everything is done more than the actual story. :)
    This world needs a little nerdying up. Just let me grab my books and webcam real quick.
  • DFTBADFTBA Posts: 30
    I haven't read P&P either, so I know how you feel. I mean, I've heard enough about the book to have a rough idea of what happens but mostly it's a surprise. I thought about reading the book when I first started watching, but I've decided to wait unitll they're over, even though I'm nearly always strongly in favor of Read It First.
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    Although I haven't actually read the book (although I plan to soon), I've seen the Colin Firth movie adaptation twice and have a fairly good sense of the plot.  I definitely enjoy speculating about how they are going to adapt parts of the book, for example how they are going to adapt
    Lydia's elopement
    into the modern day.  It's also really fun to watch them set up different events I know are going to take place.  Personally I find this more enjoyable than just seeing how the story unfolds, but what ever works for you!
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • monsterthingmonsterthing Kepler 20-fPosts: 121 ✭✭✭
    When I started watching it, I didn't even know it was a P&P adaption (I watched it before VB) I knew it wasn't a real vlog though. Then about half way through the series I watched the P&P adaption on netflix so now I have an idea of where we are and it just gets me more excited because I know what is happening next or what event is coming up and I get excited to see how they change it up for modern. 

So if anything it gets me more hiped up, it doesn't really ruin anything for me
    The thing is...puppets. can't. fly.
  • nedamarienedamarie Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    I've read P&P many times, and I was SO excited when TLBD started. I don't think it's a bad or a negative thing that some people have not read it. If anything, I think it's awesome that it will get people to read it, or to be interested, or anything. 

The only thing that baffled me is that when I said that I hope some people would read it after/because of TLBD, I got called pretentious and stuff like that. It confuses me, since when does thinking that it'd be cool for people to read make you pretentious? 
    lover of peace, hope, and Jennifer. 
  • TheNotSoWiseOwlTheNotSoWiseOwl Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    katjazz said:
    I feel a little guilty, because this kind of goes directly against Read it First

Oh man, I completely forgot about that :S

Damn ><

All I wanted were the answers, but I still don't know the questions.

• MirandaRuthMirandaRuth Posts: 42
    halfspice said:
    I have two friends who started watching LBD and didn't know anything about P&P - one didn't even know it was a fictional vlog.

I don't think it detracts from the entertainment value - for me, I'm a big P&P fan and I love it in basically any medium, so I get a little bit of excitement over how its been adapted for this format. 
    however, just because I get a laugh out of Kitty Bennett being an actual cat doesn't mean someone who doesn't know she was originally another sister can't be totally invested in the character's unfolding lives. Its a timeless story that actually translates really well in this medium, so whether you've got previous exposure or not doesn't change the experience of watching it this way.

I wondered if there was anyone watching it who didn't realize it was fictional. That's actually kind of cool. I think it's a testament to how good the series is that people could watch it and not realize it's actors telling a story that is 200 years old.
  • bruxbrux Posts: 76
    TLBD makes me want to read P&P so bad, just so I won't get all "OMG, WHAT WILL THE NEXT 5MIN BE LIKE???"
    But I have so many books I already bought waiting, that I might wait for the series to be over before reading it.
    (plus, I can always nag my friend for spoilers)
    Smile :)
  • claracmdclaracmd Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    I recommend everyone to read the book- It's so good! When I started watching LBD I had only watched the movie, but the series made wanna read the book and I am so glad I did. After I finish the book I am currently reading I'll start with Emma (by Jane Austen).
    by claracmd
    ''Darcy has the social skills of an agoraphobic lobster''
  • amyleeamylee Posts: 3
    I watched the movie when it came out, and never got around to reading the novel. When the LBD came out I bought P&P and it has been sitting on my bookshelf since. I'll read it eventually, but I want to finnish watching the diaries before I dive into the book version of the characters.
  • sabermoonsabermoon Posts: 3
    Pride and Prejudice is an amazing book! I'm a huge proponent of reading the book before watching the movie (or in this case, fictional vlog), especially in this case.
    I think its fine to enjoy the story without knowing the original text, but a lot of subtle changes have been made to make the story fit the modern era. I don't think being familiar with the text and observing the changes is key to enjoying the adaptation, but I certainly do appreciate the creative license they've adopted and I'm always guessing how they're going to handle the plot points that might not work so fluidly in a 21st century vlog setting. 
  • When I started watching it, I hadn't read P&P or seen the adaptions, but after reding the book, I think that both are enjoyable ways of watching it, as you still don't really know how it's going to happen, even if you know what will happen at some point. :)
  • magicaemagicae Posts: 24 ✭✭
    It obviously works for people who haven't read the original story, but I think having read it makes it even more enjoyable. There are so many subtle things, such as the fact that ... (minor spoilers, but...)
    Fitz in LBD is gay, and therefore cannot marry, while in the original story, where Darcy is his cousin, Darcy is the one to inherit, which makes Fitz inegible or something like that. I lost the right word...

• TracyFisherTracyFisher Posts: 5
    I have not and will not read it, I know I am horrible! I do like the adaptation though because it has eliminated a lot of what bugs me about the book.
  • imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    I initially didn't start watching LBD because I haven't read Pride and Prejudice, but a friend of mine convinced me to start watching anyway since another friend of hers also has never read/seen P&P.  Now, I really want to read the book, but I also want to wait until LBD finishes because I like not knowing what to expect.  I occasionally will watch episodes on break between classes with my friend who has read P&P and she loves seeing how I react to things (like Darcy Day) because I don't really know the story.  I've been spoiled a little from the comments, but I'm trying really hard to keep myself in the dark about things that happen in P&P because it is more fun for me this way!

I'll probably end up reading the book this summer then rewatch LBD and see what kinds of things I pick up differently.

I also think it's great that the writers have done such a good job at adapting the book that even people like us who have never read the novel can still enjoy the show!
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • thefunsizedawesomethefunsizedawesome Posts: 28
    edited November 2012
    I haven't read P & P either, and although it is currently on my "List of Books to Read," that list is so long, that it might be months before I get to it.  I do really enjoy watching LBD, even without having read the book, but I do occasionally feel like I miss out (as well as that the book is being spoiled for me a bit).  There are certain things that aren't included in the diaries (like whatever was in Darcy's letter in the last video) that I wish I could have the experience of reading (and finding out about) for the first time.  I REALLY love LBD, though, and am pretty invested in it, and I think it's pretty amazing that Hank and the others were able to turn it into something so special.
    by thefunsizedawesome
    Increasing the amount of awesome that can fit into under 5 feet daily!
  • inwardpluminwardplum Posts: 246 ✭✭
    I haven't read/watched P&P, but an enthusiastic friend has pretty much detailed the entire direction of the story. I love LBD. I think it's a really fun way to retell the story, and I've grown very attached to everyone involved! They're all very talented, and very, VERY sweet in real life.
    DFTBA!

twitter: audridavis
    tumblr: squidkitten - this is an obnoxious fandom blog and for that I am sorry
  • MirandaRuthMirandaRuth Posts: 42
    I have not and will not read it, I know I am horrible! I do like the adaptation though because it has eliminated a lot of what bugs me about the book.
    How can you know the book bugs you if you haven't read it?
  • beccalynn311beccalynn311 Posts: 104 ✭✭
    I started reading the book after I watched like half of what they have so far and when her mother talked I could only hear her in that southern voice even though it's in England