Watching Lizzie Bennet, but not read Pride and Prejudice

Comments

• EyoreEyore Posts: 176 ✭✭
    While I too feel ashamed for breaking the Read It First rule, now that I'm watching LBD I refuse to read the book because SPOILERSSSSSS xD
    It's definitely on my to-read list, along with Feed, which Hank recommended in a video a few years ago
    Hey! I go by Eyore (only one 'e'). I spend chatting in the awesome IRC the Nerdfighteria Network put up. I also like ALL the Sci-Fi and fantasy stuffs!
    OMNOMNOMCOOKIES
    365nerds: A project to post a video every day of the year
    Nerd count: 273/365
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't read the book but I've seen it once on stage and remember finding it incredibly boring and hated the entire thing. I really thought I wouldn't like TLBD but Hank suggested it and I'm glad I listened to him. I actually really enjoy this portrayal of the characters and storyline. It's actually entertaining and I have grown to really enjoy watching the characters go through the drama of the story. 

PS When this finishes what do they do next? I figure LBD will finish but I would like to see something happen with another book in this format. I don't have an idea of which off the top of my head but I think I would miss this kind of youtubian awesomeness.
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • jennarejennare Norfolk, VAPosts: 20
    I haven't read it yet, and now I feel like I can't because it'll spoil the series. I definitely will when it's over though.
    "We pencil-sketch our previous life so we can contrast it to the technicolor of the moment"
    etsy - blog - youtube
  • katjazzkatjazz Posts: 80 ✭✭
    Butters said:

PS When this finishes what do they do next? I figure LBD will finish but I would like to see something happen with another book in this format. I don't have an idea of which off the top of my head but I think I would miss this kind of youtubian awesomeness.
    More classics! And like, stuff that you read in English classes would be really awesome, I think. I'd almost suggest Gatsby, but it's been such a big deal in Nerdfighteria, maybe it's overdone by now? :P
    I'm too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness. 
  • CellistPondCellistPond Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    Yup!
    Haven't read it.

My mom and friends of mine have watched the movies and read it and I may have watched parts of movies years ago so I essentially know some things that happen but it's exciting to just watch it all happen through LBD

At first I wanted to get the book and start reading but now I feel like I'd read ahead and it would ruin the whole thing for me
    Oh look! A wild signature!
    If I'm not posting here, I might be tweeting
    or sleeping or working
    @Katjazz I'd like to see a Gatsby adaptation because I want to like that book so much, But I just can't. I Kinda want them doing Gatsby to have the same affect it had on me with P&P. I hated P&P and now I enjoy the story. 
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • katjazzkatjazz Posts: 80 ✭✭
    @butters I'm not a huge fan of the classics, like P&P, can can rarely manage to get through them. Gatsby is good, but I'll allow that it's somewhat overrated. That's not to say Gatsby is a classic.... Although I'm not sure what defines a classic book, come to think of it. 

But whatever a classic book is, I like the idea of sticking with them and having these modern adaptations. 
    I'm too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness. 
  • SisterAwakeSisterAwake Posts: 10
    Before the web series I had never read the book  (but I did read Pride, Prejudice and Zombies) or even seen any of the movie adaptations. I've now watched the 2005 movie with Keira Knightley and Matthew McFadyen about a million times and I picked up the book last week - I'm half way through it - and I'm glad that I finally decided to read it! 
    "My life is now complete. Except for those other things I want." - Joss Whedon
    @katjazz I would say a classic book is one that has stood the test of time and is still relevant in the current time period. Like there are great old books like Treasure Island that are really good stories but that's all it is, a story. A classic still holds its meaning, something along the lines of Brave New World or Catcher in the Rye (thank John for that one) But that's just how I see it. Anyone else have a thought?
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
  • sharpie_sharpie_ Posts: 36
    I'm a huge fan of reading the book before watching the story, but I never got around to reading P&P. I love the anticipation of waiting for the next LBD to come out, having no idea what's coming next in the story. I'm waiting for the video series to end to read the book (even though I usually do it the other way around).
  • eda1102eda1102 Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    I'm also always in favor of canon, also reading the book before seeing the adaptation. 
    And I actually wasn't watching TLBD from the beginning, because well.... SPOILERS. I remember I gave in when Hank made one of his vidcon videos this year, talking about TLBD. And I'm very glad I did give in.

Threadkillers Union - Chief Assassin and Treasurer
  • torisaurus5torisaurus5 Posts: 3
    We we're assigned to read Pride and Prejudice in my AP English Lit class this year and the LBD really helped me understand what I was going to read. Thanks Hank!
    Victoria aka Tori
  • I haven't read it, though my Mom used to watch the movie a lot (I only saw one or two scenes). I did find out a lot of the plot from the comments, but I'm okay with that, because come on, that book is pretty old.
    However, I always make sure people don't spoil an episode for me before I see it, because even if I know what's going to happen, I don't want someone spoiling how it gets carried out in the vlogs.
  • javelinjavelin Posts: 14
    I really think those that haven't read it, or at least seen it, are missing out. It's like watching Harry Potter without reading the books. (Okay, maybe not quite as bad as that...)

It's been mentioned that those who know what happens won't get the suspense or whatever, but that's totally untrue. The Harry Potter movies were very suspenseful even though I knew exactly what would happen. Or, Doctor Who is extremely suspenseful like when you think the whole world is doomed because of the Master, but you know it won't be because the series continues on. The suspense is imbedded in HOW on earth they're going to get out of it, not if they will or not.
    what a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person
  • I started not knowing it was an adaptation of a book.

When I found out I've been using SparkNotes and Wikipedia to help me. It's trippy doing what feels like homework this far out of high school  for a web series that's been slowly devouring my free time. Devouring in a good way. And eventually leading me here. :)
  • ZacharySeptimusZacharySeptimus Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I'm kind of glad that I had never read/seen any version of Pride and Prejudice before starting the Lizzie Bennet Diaries. Aside from knowing the vague plotline just as much as I have to as a member of Western Culture, I really don't know what's coming, which is awesome.

However, until watching Lizzie Bennet, I had never had any interest in reading Jane Austen and had figured it just wasn't my kind of literature. Now I'm seriously considering reading P&P (once LBD finishes, of course; I don't want to spoil myself). Aside from being an awesome creative project, it's looking like this is also a great way to turn people on to Jane Austen!
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I'm a HUGE P & P fan, I usually read it 2-3 times a year (since I was 10) and have a bunch of adaptations. As someone who has read 30+ times, I feel like knowing the plot doesn't ruin the series. In fact, I feel like it makes it better. I have a few friends who don't plan to read the book or are going to after it ends. I get not wanting to be spoiled. But I love being able to go to people and have long conversations about how we think something is going to be adapted or if we thought they did a good job. I've been very surprised with some of their choices and changes a bunch of times. Also, I love how they weave in little references to P & P and other Austen novels. Plus, I like reading what Bernie Su and Rachel Kiley (writers for the show) have to say on their tumblrs. It gives a lot of extra bonus content and they explain a lot of things. While the basic storyline is the same, TLBD has done some amazing things to adapt it and give character development to characters that had surface level subplots. A few of my friends picked up P & P a few months into the series and so far they've all have not regretted reading the book first.
  • imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    @genvie I don't think any of us are saying that we think reading P&P and "spoiling" ourselves on LBD is going to ruing the series.  I can't really speak for others, but I know that since I started watching without having read, I've really enjoyed not knowing the plot (well details, I know a bit of the general P&P story).  I watch my friends who have read the book freak out about how they have adapted things or try and figure out how they will do things next, but I don't feel like I am missing out.  It is an entirely different experience for us than it is for someone like you who has read/seen P&P multiple times.  Once LBD is finished, I plan on reading the book, then rewatching the series.  I feel like I'll be able to pick up on some more of the references after reading the book, but even without having read the book, the writers have done such a great job at making the series a relatable adaptation and not just something for P&P fans.  I was never really into the classics.  Honestly I grew up reading trash like the Gossip Girl series, but I'm starting to feel like there are a lot of great books I missed out on simply because younger me didn't want to read anything that was published before I was born because I thought it was all "school literature" even if it wasn't assigned through school.
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • GenvieGenvie Posts: 92 ✭✭
    @imarielle

I was just saying how my friends have directly told me that they don't want to be spoiled about what happens next for various reasons. My main point of my post was to add my POV and also say 'yes, I know other people that haven't read it and that's okay'. Maybe I should have written it out clearer in my first post. My boyfriend stood in line at Vidcon to get his P & P book signed by the cast and hasn't read the book but he's a huge fan of the series and probably will read it eventually.

And I agree that it's a different experience. To me it reminds me of how I saw the first few Harry Potter movies before reading the books, they may be based on the same story but they're not the same thing. With that example, I know people that enjoy the movies more than the books (and vise versa) and it's perfectly fine.

I've read The Hobbit but I've been trying hard not to see the trailers. I know what's going to happen in the movie but I want to be blown away with the my initial viewing. That's just a random example of my own of wanting to enjoy the experience of watching something the first time. Not the same but it's the closest thing I can think of at the moment.

Just to clarify in case it wasn't clear (not that you said anything but in case someone else thinks so), I don't consider a TLBD fan less of a fan for not having read the book (or choosing not to read it at all or deciding to wait). It's not necessary to have read P & P to still highly enjoy this brilliant webseries. If you consider yourself a TLBD fan, then you're a fan. Book or no book, it doesn't matter. That's part of the point of the series, bringing it to a modern day setting where people can enjoy it in a medium they are fimilar with and might enjoy more than "school literature".
  • imarielleimarielle Posts: 356 Mod
    edited November 2012
    @genvie
    Just to clarify in case it wasn't clear (not that you said anything but in case someone else thinks so), I don't consider a TLBD fan less of a fan for not having read the book (or choosing not to read it at all or deciding to wait). It's not necessary to have read P & P to still highly enjoy this brilliant webseries. If you consider yourself a TLBD fan, then you're a fan. Book or no book, it doesn't matter. That's part of the point of the series, bringing it to a modern day setting where people can enjoy it in a medium they are fimilar with and might enjoy more than "school literature".

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make, but you said it better!  I think it's great that the writers and creators have done such a great job that they have made this webseries enjoyable for P&P fans as well as people who just like youtube vlog style videos.  I've heard stories of people not even knowing it was based on P&P when they first discovered it.

And yeah it is two completely different experiences, and I wish I could experiences both, but since that isn't possible, I'm going to stick with the "in the dark" watching.  I know reading P&P won't be the same now, just like when I reread HP sometimes I see different interpretations or hear different voices in my head than when I first read them.  Sometimes I wish I could read those books for the first time again, but I can't, and I can't unsee LBD so it should be interesting to read a novel set in the past with modern day images in my mind!
    by imarielle
    Let's be friends!  Message me if you need anything!
  • caitiecaitie Posts: 1
    I also have no read it. Or seen any of the movies. I have read one other re-imagining (Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg which is fantastic) so I know the basics, but there is still a lot that I don't know. 

Once the LBD is done, I will read the book, but for now I am enjoying the ride. 
  • LindzLindz Posts: 27
    I own the book, but I'm putting off reading it. I don't wait to spoil LBD.
  • CellistPondCellistPond Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    @Lindz same here. so tempted...but I can't. (which is so unlike me. I love reading the book first)
    Oh look! A wild signature!
    If I'm not posting here, I might be tweeting
    or sleeping or working
  • KnyxKnyx Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

imarielle said:
    And yeah it is two completely different experiences, and I wish I could experiences both, but since that isn't possible, I'm going to stick with the "in the dark" watching.  I know reading P&P won't be the same now, just like when I reread HP sometimes I see different interpretations or hear different voices in my head than when I first read them.  Sometimes I wish I could read those books for the first time again, but I can't, and I can't unsee LBD so it should be interesting to read a novel set in the past with modern day images in my mind!
    This is really the heart of it.  Both have their advantages, and disadvantages.  As someone who knows the story very well, and am currently reading the book,  I definitely think I am enjoying the LBD more knowing the story.  While I would definitely recommend having read the book for LBD viewing, do whatever works for you.  But definitely read the book sometime, because it is really fun, and quite accessible.
    A 14 year old male living near Boston who likes hiking, life, learning, and nice people.
  • I have not read the book either. I am planning to read it. It is even sitting on my bed side table, but never get the time. But i still absolutely love these!
  • TattersTatters Posts: 2
    I think reading Pride and Prejudice will only enhance our enjoyment of TLBD, however, I love watching it like I'm watching a movie: I have no idea what will happen next.
  • I haven't read it and I'll only read it once the plot/show ends (WHICH WILL BE TOTALLY SAD) however i did read a "spark note" version of the book so I know what's going to happen.(Honestly can't help myself I just want to know what's going to happen) Actually when I first started I totally didn't realize it was a fictional story, so once I finished to the current episode at the time I was like "this is totally (SORRY, didn't realize what LBD was at the time) weird, no person is like this one sided personality then i actually looked it up and read the description" and I was like oops! I still didn't really feel like watching it but by the time Darcy Day came around I was totally HOOKED. The reason I didn't realize it was P&P was because I'm not into period romance, and girly stuff.
    God in the end, gives people what they most want, including freedom from Himself. What could be more fair?" - C.S. Lewis
  • CherWarnerCherWarner Posts: 3
    katjazz said:
    I feel a little guilty, because this kind of goes directly against Read it First
    I felt the same...but the adaption is just done so well I don't want to 'spoil' it by reading the book :-| I'll definitely be reading the book when this is over though :)
  • AudaciousAudacious Posts: 13
    I'm the same, I've gotten to the point where I'm really invested in Lizzie Bennet, that I'm afraid of reading it, because I don't want to spoil the webseries! Although I know it's definitely the other way around, I can't bring myself to do it! Will definitely read as soon as it's done though.
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I started watching LBD a few days ago without knowing that it's an adaptation. I haven't read the book or seen any other adaptations, but I'll probably watch the Masterpiece Theater version (found it on Netflix) after I've finished LBD and then maybe read the book.