Macklemore?

ZeterZeter Posts: 1
Any fans?

Anyone interested in hip hop should check out Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. =D

Comments

• BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    @Zeter Big fan here. There really isn't any other hip hop artist out there doing what they do. 
  • SuibhneSuibhne Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough I'm from the Seattle area and I have never checked out Macklemore. I've heard good things but as far as hip-hop goes I usually stick to either new york hip-hop, old school or pretty much anything involving Doseone.
  • jneels25jneels25 Posts: 12
    He's up there with Lupe Fiasco.
  • sojokessojokes Posts: 7
    Despite the fact that I'm really not into hip hop/rap my cousin recently made me listen to Other side remix by him and I was actually very pleasantly surprised. I also really love Same Love by him and Mary Lambert
  • ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love me some Macklemore. Found him with My oh My and since I was/am a big baseball fan it got me hooked real quick. Of course Otherside is amazingly deep and songs like And We Danced and The Club are just plain fun. 
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
  • KO_The_DJKO_The_DJ Posts: 18
    jneels25 said:
    He's up there with Lupe Fiasco.
    Woah there!
    I dream of one day creating a vlogbrothers inspired Pizza that has......NO EDGE!
  • SuibhneSuibhne Posts: 193 ✭✭✭
    I used to blast Mongolian rap when I was in high school because I'm a nerd.

Anyway the last hip hop album I bought was El-P's cancer4cure album that came out a few months ago... good but I think I prefer I'll sleep when you're dead.

I was waiting for tonedeff & kno to release their Chico and the man album but it seems after years (five or six of them) of waiting for that, its been shelved for the time being. Kno's album death is silent was pretty good though. Other than that, the only other MCs I follow anymore are Mr. Life, Edan, MF Doom, Mos Def, Tabil Kweli, Pigeon John and occasionally Buck 65.
  • FoiledFelineFoiledFeline Posts: 178 ✭✭
    a friend of mine I carpool with often plays same love really loud and I absolutely love that song, however I haven't really listened to anything else by him.

crazy, funny, and nerdy, I appreciate bad jokes, nerds, effort, beautiful people and beautiful things. Also I'd appreciate it if somebody could make pokemon real. I would settle for a magikarp (although torchic/blazakin would be best), and I'd pay you more than 500 poke-yen for it.  I would also appreciate a cupcake. message me if you want to talk about stuff cuz chances are I wanna talk about stuff too.

• CDOXCDOX Posts: 6
    Everyone at my school is OBSESSED with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis! I saw them live and they were absolutely fantastic. All my friends and I freak out whenever we hear Thriftshop!
  • AbdullTheCoolAbdullTheCool White center, WAPosts: 165 ✭✭
    edited March 2013
    This thread hasn't been talked to in months but I wanted to say that I also like macklemore. First found him when he released the music video for wings. Also I Highly recommend another Seattle artist by the name of Common Market. Just check him out and see for yourself. Of my personal favorites are all of his songs ever!!
    by AbdullTheCool

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• PoppehtartPoppehtart Posts: 48 ✭✭
    I've honestly never heard any of his other songs except "Thrift Shop".
  • AbdullTheCoolAbdullTheCool White center, WAPosts: 165 ✭✭
    I've honestly never heard any of his other songs except "Thrift Shop".
    thrift shop is one if his funnier songs. he releases one or two for each album or mixtape he does. the rest you must listen to understand his true tallent as a rapper.i recomend starting with one of his really good songs like othersiders, you can choose to listen to the original or the remix they are both equally good although the remix is the one withthe music video. After that become obsessed and listen to the rest. Your Welcome.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• JustLoveLoveJustLoveLove Posts: 11
    "Wing$", "A Wake", "White Walls", and my mainstream side kicks in with "Can't Hold Us" being fantastic. He's talented beyond reason, that's given, but the quality of his lyrics is underrated in my opinion. 
  • imancipatedimancipated Posts: 5
    I really like Thin Line and Otherside and the Penis song. I don't really know what to say to excuse that last one but I like it, he's a good lyricist and it shows in songs ranging from otherside to the penis song! :)
  • naInaI NairobiPosts: 6
    I've been a big fan since The Heist came out but just this week I checked out his previous album called The Language of My World. It's honestly one of the best records I've ever heard, brilliant song on there called 'I Said Hey' that's worth checking out.

Also off The Heist I can't stop listening to 'Ten Thousand Hours', such an inspirational song! 

if you're into stuff like his that's got actual lyrical depth I can recommend Akala (UK) and J. Cole to anybody interested in checking em out :) 
  • TheStigTheStig Loses Sword Fights to Cardboard Boxes Long IslandPosts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a fan of Macklemore per se, I find his songs catchy. Omega Virus' cover of "Can't Hold us" is on my workout mix. Greal metal remix/cover of it.
    "Well, scientifically speaking, traditions are an idiot thing." - Rick Sanchez
  • ashimmer13ashimmer13 Seattle, WA, USAPosts: 109 ✭✭
    I'm definitely a fan of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. They make amazing things happen, and being from Seattle, it's amazing how small the world is here in our corner of the country. I love that they have such wide appeal and yet every single song oozes Seattle pride and influence. I saw them this summer and it was a brilliant show. 
    "Every artist was first an amateur." 
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "It is well to have as many holds upon happiness as possible"
    -Henry Tilney, Chapter 22 of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey
  • I adore Macklemore and the things he stands for!! I've seen him getting hate from the LGBTQ community, which makes me sad. Some of them apparently take offense to a straight white male representing gay rights. Either way, I think that whatever or whoever can get a good message out there is fine. It's not the mode, it's the spread. 
  • Milks818Milks818 Syracuse, NYPosts: 17 ✭✭
    Big fan of Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's first record together.  The Heist is pretty sweet top to bottom and the Vinyl Box Set is awesome.   I came with a picture representing every song on it's own stock paper thing with liner notes and all.  Plus, the vinyl's themselves are GOLD!!!!

Don't fear failure. Not Failure, but low aim, is the crime.  In great attempts it is glorious even to fail. - Bruce Lee
  • makeitagoodonemakeitagoodone 221B Baker St., Camelot, Narnia, GallifreyPosts: 123 ✭✭
    I adore Macklemore and the things he stands for!! I've seen him getting hate from the LGBTQ community, which makes me sad. Some of them apparently take offense to a straight white male representing gay rights. Either way, I think that whatever or whoever can get a good message out there is fine. It's not the mode, it's the spread. 
    It's mostly because he got all the credit, instead of Mary Lambert, which was simply ridiculous. Ok, he released it, but she deserved it, and she's actually part of our community!!
    “Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.”
    - Tim Burton
  • digitalsleepdigitalsleep USAPosts: 73 ✭✭
    I adore Macklemore and the things he stands for!! I've seen him getting hate from the LGBTQ community, which makes me sad. Some of them apparently take offense to a straight white male representing gay rights. Either way, I think that whatever or whoever can get a good message out there is fine. It's not the mode, it's the spread. 
    It's mostly because he got all the credit, instead of Mary Lambert, which was simply ridiculous. Ok, he released it, but she deserved it, and she's actually part of our community!!
    This.

But, yes, a straight individual representing the lgbt community is silly as hell. Especially since there's tons of great rappers that are just as good - if not better - than him that are actually lgbt. I have a lot of other personal reasons why I hate him, but I'm not going to clog this up with my hate.
  • NackPTNackPT Posts: 41
    I used to be super into him, but he hasn't released anything noteworthy other than Growing Up, and no announce of a new album.