Aspiring writers, authors and poets. UNITE!

Most of us have come to these forums and the community through John's books, I can hazard a guess that I'm not the only one around here having a crack of writing (anything). I'm currently writing a short story about a teenager that becomes paralyzed and the journey he goes on, this is my first try at  remotely sustained writing. This podcast and constant reading has really improved my knowledge about the process and technical knowledge. 

What's your project? Have you written before? What do you write? Do you have any tips? 
Discuss! 

Comments

• shaunaaaahshaunaaaah Posts: 113 ✭✭
    I haven't been able to do much writing between school and working, which is editing so it gets me in a writing frame of mind but I also need to sleep.
    But the novel I'm working on is something of a writing experiment, it's about the idea of a general conscious at the approach of the end of time. Kindof like how often animals will flee before a forest fire, that being in touch with the way things are that thing that people have more or less lost. It'll be about interconnectedness and where we see our place in the grand scheme of things being.
    I have a feeling it might end up being the kind of thing that I write a bit at a time for years, writing other books in the meantime.
  • Isaac_GrayIsaac_Gray Posts: 15
    I'm aspiring to be a writer, in addition to many other things. I don't have much experience though, so it's really just trial-and-error. I've had a few bouts of inspiration now and then and got stuff written, but I really don't know if I'm doing anything wrong or what.
    Music makes you braver.
  • DannythelionDannythelion Posts: 118 ✭✭
    @Isaac_Gray I've found that reading and writing like a crazy person is a pretty good way to start, sounds odd and reckless but it seems to have worked for me. 
  • KayWhyzKayWhyz Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I like to write things. I like to hope I'll be able to write things for an audience of people, one day, and have discussions about the things I write and the things they write and the writing of other's whether they be alive or dead. 

I've written a lot of short blurb-like stories that I'm not extremely proud of, and I've written two or three blurbs I am proud of. I've written two short stories, one of which I like, and am currently attempting to write something I don't want to label but probably won't be done until it's around 50,000 words. 

I spend a lot of time writing this weighty thing and really hope it'll be something that I can give a person to read and not feel completely embarrassed about it. It's about a boy who's mother dies, and the events that surround his life during that event. It's currently at around 25,000 words and oh man it is the hardest thing I have ever attempted.

I totally agree that reading and writing like a crazy person is a good way to be a writer, but I think being perceptive is just as important. When you read a book, what do you like about it? The characterization, the plot line, the symbolism, the prose? When you have a good day, what makes it really good? It is the way everything was so bright? How the light pouring in from your window reflected off the wooden-grain table and created a beautiful pattern? What makes a day bad? Might it be the people, pernicious and rude and loud and tearing? What music do you like? Why? The crescendos, the drops, the lyrical content?

I think writing, more than anything, is a way to capture life and everything else about it. So the way you observe your reflection to the way your crush bites their lower lip when they see you is just as important to make note of as the political climate or the reaper standing near all our shoulders. Carry a journal everywhere.

I got all serious there, wow. 
  • justcallmedavejustcallmedave Posts: 5
    I write on figment a great place to find new writters, that was thanks to John and i have just started a new story- http://figment.com/books/602335-Genetasis if u could read it, that would be great
  • twirlgirlroxtwirlgirlrox Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aspiring author. I read and write like crazy, and am currently working on a dystopia, which I think is coming along okay. I find it interesting and helpful to just sit in a public, crowded space and people watch. It can be inspiring, but at the same time it's entertaining. Watching people interact is cool. Also, I'm going to have to look into that figment website, it looks really awesome.
    Innocent Little Flower of the Last Ones

• captainmeowcaptainmeow Posts: 10
    I have always wanted to write, ever since I was a little boy. When I was maybe 10 I wrote a fanfic about Dragon Ball Z and Sailor Moon, but I lost that forever to the dead tech that is the floppy disk. I haven't wrote any stories since, despite having countless ideas through the years. I lack confidence and don't want to write something bad, even though that's how pretty much everyone starts out. I'm also not very good with criticism. 

In high school I wrote haiku for an assignment and really enjoyed it. I occasionally still write, I even have a blog that I post them to, but I haven't updated in a long time. I wanted to start this project with a friend where we tell the story of the Star Wars films through haiku, but he wasn't confident in his haiku writing and was too busy to commit. 
  • HollyComstockHollyComstock IrelandPosts: 54 ✭✭
    I totally agree with the people watching. I have no time anymore but I used to just go to the park and sit around all day, reading or writing or just experiencing. I've written fanfictions, and have never been so proud of myself than I was when I completed my first one, like 150,000 words or something crazy. You just really have to get stuck into it, I mean you can ramble as much as you need at first and cut it down later on. I never would have had the confidence to take writing seriously without it, and the community was amazing to me and my stories.

I still try write as much as I can, currently have like ten ideas going on at once :/ Best of luck to all of you!
  • tofallandtorisetofallandtorise Posts: 90 ✭✭
    I started writing last spring and I've just never stopped. I mostly write short stories and I have about 600 of them although some are longer, but I can never write really long things because I get bored with them! 
    For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind.

• layuralayura Posts: 11
    I've been writing on and off for years. I wrote fanfiction (never finished though and I'm too embarrassed now to finish them ><) and had a few start ups. Now I'm trying my hand at planning the story before starting another one, which is pretty fun. It's nice to get to know the world and characters a bit without the need to plot and write at the same time.
  • coolcat3699coolcat3699 Sydenham, LondonPosts: 144 ✭✭
    i lov writing so much and its so amazing but my story plots always get stuck sumwhere and i habe to stop
    i have loads of descriptions of ramdom things and loads of writig on the computor and on paper and once ive got into the right mood i cant stop!
    the only bad thing is i kinda get stuck into what my characters think and feel and so i get too attached to them even if they are bad or something ! :)
  • AircrashAircrash Posts: 11
    edited April 2013
    As silly as it seems, I've written three novela length fan fics that I am tremendously proud of. One was so well received that it's been translated by fans into French and Chinese. I can't even begin to explain how happy it made me that something I wrote moved some one to put that much effort into sharing it with others. I've really enjoyed writing this way but I'm beginning to move away from that. I have a novel length fic that I'm about 1/4th done with and after that I plan to focus on original work for a while. I have a few scripts for a comic I'm drawing (slowly) and one fairly solid novel idea and a universe in which I would like to set some short horror stories a la Lovecraft.
    by Aircrash
  • JustinDennis4JustinDennis4 Posts: 7
    I love writing! I'm a self-published author, and after a lot of research, I really see the advantages to self-pubbing over traditional publishing. All of you aspiring writers should really look into it. You can visit JA Konrath's blog to learn about it, he has covered that whole debate extensively. jakonrath.blogspot.com
  • LazarusLazarus Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    I've managed to finish a few books since highschool, sadly for most of that time I wasn't taking it seriously, not until the last year or so have I really been pushing towards my goal. Though I knew I wanted to be a novelsit since the age of tweleve, I just kind of always put that dream off. But I believe I'll have my first  edited novel finished in the next few months, and I plan to submit it before the end of the year.
  • RiverSethRiverSeth EnglandPosts: 448 ✭✭

at the start of july, im starting Camp NaNoWriMo, writing dystopia novel, where at the age of 18, all teenagers are taken away from their parents and sold to other people. they then become 'Owned' with all their rights taken away from then before their owners give them freedom.

its sounds really weird, even to me.

When not doing random writing months, I'm and writing two different things. One is a series called 'The DarkOrb' which is a world where humans live in fear of vampires and witches and all that jazz. Its really fun to write, although its taking ages.

the other is set in the future when the England isolates itsself from the rerst of the world...and any 'rebel' who tries to get in is brainwashed. Thats really fun, but it is written from a blind girls point of view.

When I write, i dont think about it, i just let the ideas come out...and them edit them later on. that way, you can pick things up that you didnt think about before, and deveolp some things even more. I take a notebook everywhere with me, just in case i think of something... I cant type straight onto a computer.

To read my book reviews, click the link!

My Blog   My Youtube

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

@Riverseth I'm also doing the camp NanoWrimo, I did it back in April. The last few times I've failed to hit 50k, because I failed to learn how to manage my time properly as an adult. I managed to make it to like 30k last time, so it wasn't a total disappointment. This go around I plan to make up for it, and so far my cabin mates seem decent. Though only 2 have been active (slightly) in the last week.
  • Runner119Runner119 Posts: 3
    edited August 2013
    -removed-
    by Runner119
  • GigiGiraffeGigiGiraffe Lincs, UKPosts: 31
    Hi everyone! I'm an aspiring writer and I have a problem. I'm hoping some of you guys who are in the same boat as me have some advice. So, how would you say is the best way to approach writing a story (and making sure it gets finished!), and the process in between the actual writing part. I'm talking research and editing and how to stay motivated. Although I have chapter outlines I often get stuck in a rut and can't seem to progress the story any further. Any ideas? (:
    "Grateful to be a little boat full of water, still floating" - John Green
    @GigiGiraffeally There are a lot of things some people do. Like taking time to get away from your project and relaxing, taking walks, a long bath, going to the movies. Or going out and being active, like jogging, bowling, etc. For me, I usually step aside and just start writing something else. Not a new project but like a bad chapter of my book, and then toss it when i develop a firmer grasp on what I actually want for my story.

as for being motivated, the thing that motivates me the most is reading. I like fantasy, all types of fantasy, so when I'm reading a really good book it really motivates me not only to write but to really try hard, to really push myself in it. I love writing, but I do get frustrated with it a lot. I just have to power through those times to get back to having fun.
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I mostly write poetry. I've written a couple of short stories (one I'm happy with, the other is dreadful) and attempted a few novels, but haven't finished any of them. 
  • nerdgeneralnerdgeneral Posts: 73

Tip: Try to avoid using certain words over and over. I still have a lot of my early journals, and I used "he said" or "she said" in my dialogue WAY to often. Avoid starting sentences the same way repeatedly. Once again, I consulted my old journals to help me with my writing. Every sentence began with "the" or "my" if it was in first person. Don't worry about p.o.v. too much, and fix it to be all first or third person later, unless you want to be all Avant garde with a second person perspective.

• Katheryn_AbundanceKatheryn_Abundance Montgomery, AL.Posts: 2

I've been writing since I was in fifth grade, when my brilliant English teacher, Mrs. Clayton, gave the class a project where we'd "publish" our own short stories. Since then, I've been aspiring to actually become an accomplished author.

At the moment I'm writing a story about a group of teenagers who happen to be the vessels for these celestial, angelic creatures known as Extra Ordinaries, and they have to be trained by members of an elite group called the Unknown Society so that they can fight forces of darkness on the side of an evil goddess. It sounds pretty unusual, but I can assure you, it gets weirder when you read the main character's POV, since she is identified as an insane person. I'm also writing some poetry in the style of Ordinary Thought.

One tip I can give to other writers is to listen to a lot of music. Trust me, with the right sound, you can come up with an entire series! If you want to pen your own dystopian novel, go for some Linkin Park or Rise Against. If you want a cute romance, try The Lumineers, The Maccabees, or even some Passion Pit. Hell, make your own playlist! But find what inspires you.

• KinnyKinny Hula Paradise Posts: 233 ✭✭
    Hi !

I'm currently writing some YA romance novel and correcting another YA romance (seriously, I can't believe someone as little romantic as me loves so much writing this genre). I have a couple of ideas for short-stories, but I simply don't have enough time (plus, writing novels is, for me, much more interesting).

I've been writing since I was 6 or so, when my Spanish teacher asked us to write a short-story. Since then, I just couldn't stop. I got published two years ago and I've collaborated in a couple of compilations of stories so far. 
  • OlleOlle Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone! I'm an aspiring writer and I have a problem. I'm hoping some of you guys who are in the same boat as me have some advice. So, how would you say is the best way to approach writing a story (and making sure it gets finished!), and the process in between the actual writing part. I'm talking research and editing and how to stay motivated. Although I have chapter outlines I often get stuck in a rut and can't seem to progress the story any further. Any ideas? (:
    Make diagrams and mind maps of your plot! Ask yourself questions like "where does this character need to be (physically and emotionally) in the next chapter, and how can I get her/him there?" If you can write different parts of the story at the same time, exploit that opportunity (or work on some other aspect of the project, like research) to keep yourself active, rather than simply laying down your pen when you run into a block.

I haven't written prose in many years, but I do write a webcomic! It's called Ironborn and it's almost, almost finished. I was nineteen when I started work on it and I'm twenty-five now, so... yeah. It's taken a bit longer to execute than I planned. =P
    Stuff I make: webcomic (weekly); biology vlogs (every few months); tumblr posts (apparently)
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭

Tip: Try to avoid using certain words over and over. I still have a lot of my early journals, and I used "he said" or "she said" in my dialogue WAY to often. Avoid starting sentences the same way repeatedly. Once again, I consulted my old journals to help me with my writing. Every sentence began with "the" or "my" if it was in first person. Don't worry about p.o.v. too much, and fix it to be all first or third person later, unless you want to be all Avant garde with a second person perspective.

Actually, you kind of get a free pass on "he/she said" in dialogue, at least in my opinion. When you use that device consistently in dialogue, it kind of becomes invisible to the reader and helps the dialogue flow more easily. That said, if you're writing a long conversation, you don't need to label who said what once you've established who is speaking.
    I think long conversations need to be interspersed with pointers like "he said", or they get unreadable. Anyone read Cormac McCarthy's The Road? Something like a third of that book consists of page after page of dialogue between the two main characters where you lose track halfway through each conversation of who's saying what. It's very frustrating. =P
    Stuff I make: webcomic (weekly); biology vlogs (every few months); tumblr posts (apparently)
  • SairooSairoo Posts: 46
    Olle said:
    I think long conversations need to be interspersed with pointers like "he said", or they get unreadable. Anyone read Cormac McCarthy's The Road? Something like a third of that book consists of page after page of dialogue between the two main characters where you lose track halfway through each conversation of who's saying what. It's very frustrating. =P
    I get very confused when I'm reading a dialogue and the author doesn't specify who's talking. Now if it's a short conversation or the way of talking is very distinct for a character, it should be fine. But bear in mind that what seems very distinct for you might not immediately be so for the reader so you have to be careful. I've read lots of books where I have to go back and read again to be certain who's talking.
  • peanutfreeismepeanutfreeisme Posts: 24

I'm almost done writing my novel.... I have about 7,000ish words left to go!

Want to win some free books? Enter the giveaway on my blog by clicking here: http://nutfreenerd.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/deb-caletti-book-giveway/

• iamnofallenstariamnofallenstar Posts: 52 ✭✭
    I have wanted to write a longer piece for a long time, but my problem is that I want to write an atmosphere and messages about things that I care about into the book and I can write those things, but I can never put those things into a story. It would be amazing if some day I could find someone who would talk to me about the message of a book and help to create the story and characters, and then I could write it and do the editing and revising and fixing and everything until it all works. I feel like I have the ability to write something, but I don't have the story for it.
    I have wanted to write a longer piece for a long time, but my problem is that I want to write an atmosphere and messages about things that I care about into the book and I can write those things, but I can never put those things into a story. It would be amazing if some day I could find someone who would talk to me about the message of a book and help to create the story and characters, and then I could write it and do the editing and revising and fixing and everything until it all works. I feel like I have the ability to write something, but I don't have the story for it.
    I recognize that problem! I'm much better at coming up with individual scenes than narratives into which those scenes fit. Maybe it'd help if you told us a bit about your ideas and the rest of us could try to suggest how to proceed with them?