Aspiring writers, authors and poets. UNITE!

13»

Comments

• CaitRoseCaitRose IndianapolisPosts: 887 ✭✭✭
    So I have this idea... tell me if this is any good or if it just sounds stupid (I won't be offended unless you are unnecessarily mean)

My boyfriend and I are in the process of writing a book (it will probably end up being a series if we ever finish it). It's a dystopian novel that takes place in Europe a few hundred years after a nuclear fallout. the idea is that the government system has sort of regressed into a feudal system with a trade-based economy that has a "tribe" at the top of the pyramid scheme, the Palace Tribe being the governing body of england. when a child turns eighteen, they could be recruited by the tribe, in which case they would be expected to turn themselves in. if not... things got hairy. during the nuclear war, each country concocted its own mixture of bomb, so each area of the world has developed a different kind of mutation resulting from the bomb it was hit with. in england, each person has a stunted, underdeveloped limb or body part. for some, it's a few fingers or toes, for others its a whole arm or leg. in ireland, the joints are fused in a part of the person's body. there are also individual mutations that are usually hereditary. for example, increased capacity to heal, hightened hearing, or being especially susceptible to disease. one of the main characters is a girl named Amber (she goes by Red) who was raised in england, but does not have the common english mutation. she is also a redhead with freckles, which makes her even more weird. when she turns eighteen, she runs away from the Palace Tribe and meets a group of people called the Children of Liberty, who fight the tribe system.

thats a brief summary of the first 20 pages or so. we have been writing this in a notebook, handing it back and forth, so that its almost an RPG insofar that neither of us really knows whats going to happen next, and we base our actions off of what the other person wrote. its sort of ad lib, and i was wondering if anyone liked the idea/would read it if it were published
    J-J-J-U-N! I-I-O-R-S! J-U-N-I-O-R-S! Juniors, Juniors, Juniors!
    I-N T-H-E H-O-U-S-E! In the house! In the house! Juniors in the house!!!
    NCHS class of 2016!!!!
    if you don't want to read the whole thing, that's cool too. i only just realized how long it is.
    NCHS class of 2016!!!!
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Anyone else getting a lot of rejection letters lately? I just received the 5th form rejection on a short story that I thought was quite good. 

I thought it might help to form, like, a little Support Group For The Rejected on this thread.

by Lavache_Beadsman
  • coolcat3699coolcat3699 Sydenham, LondonPosts: 144 ✭✭
    i waz an aspiring writer for a time from the age of about 7. At 12 i decided i wanted to get my first novel finished and published and out into the world. I wanted to do this becore i was 15.
    Now i am so happy that i managed to do this and publish my first novel Timeless about four months before turning 15 :D
    WRITING FTW
  • ClarissaEmClarissaEm Posts: 5
    Hello fellow Nerdfighters!

I'm an aspiring writer, but I don't know where to start. I've written a few chapters of Percy Jackson fanfic (in which I'm very proud of) starring my friends and I, but I would like to focus on worldbuilding. I want to be able to create my own universe to put stories in. Any advice? When I write fanfic, I already have the scaffolding of a story. All I need to do is stick in a plot. However, this makes me feel extremely guilty. 

Have any of you built your own world? If so, I would really like some help and advice of how to do that (or any writing advice, for that matter). 

Thanks!
    When I make up a world, I usually invent a character that is radically different from a character set in this world, and build the world around them. Like, what circumstances would force a character to be like this? Is he/she mutated or strange? Why? What does he/she know or believe, and what happened in this world that would make him/her believe it?

That might be weird, but it's what I do. *shrug*
    NCHS class of 2016!!!!
  • FreddieNorleeFreddieNorlee Northern SwedenPosts: 3

Hello fellow nerdfighters! It's story time!

I wrote a lot when I was younger but then I got into music and the fact that reading was much more effortless then writing and somehow I lost myself in a world of punkrock and Harry Potter. The only time I wrote was for school and that kind of writing aren’t always fun. I've always found it hard to get my ideas down on paper. I've had this big idea of a whole world inside my head but I don't know how to get it out. I guess I've always had that problem. In my last year of school however, an opportunity came. We had to do someone creative by ourselves; it could be anything from making a doll to writing a song. I decided to write a screenplay for a Doctor Who episode and I have never in my life been so proud of myself as when I gave that huge stack of paper that was my script to my teacher. I want to feel that again. And that my friends is how I went from "I don't write and I have no idea what I want to do with my life" to "I can write and in 4 days I'm moving to go to film school for a year."

"You need to be seen, not just counted"
    - Billie Joe Armstrong
  • mikaylamariemikaylamarie Posts: 19
    Hey all (:

So...I suppose you could say I'm an aspiring writer; I do love writing, and to do it professionally has really been my underlying goal since before I even thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I have a problem, though, and it seems like you guys are the best people to ask (:
    I don't have any ideas--I never know what to write about. I've written a few things from prompts, and some of them were okay but honestly, they don't feel completely...mine. I know I can write (not to say that I don't need a lot of improvement) but I don't know what to write about.
    I know they say to write what you know, but I don't feel like I know anything interesting.
    Anyone else feel the same way/ have any suggestions?
    Thanks a million (:

alway, alway, something sings. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Hey all (:

So...I suppose you could say I'm an aspiring writer; I do love writing, and to do it professionally has really been my underlying goal since before I even thought about what I wanted to be when I grew up. I have a problem, though, and it seems like you guys are the best people to ask (:
    I don't have any ideas--I never know what to write about. I've written a few things from prompts, and some of them were okay but honestly, they don't feel completely...mine. I know I can write (not to say that I don't need a lot of improvement) but I don't know what to write about.
    I know they say to write what you know, but I don't feel like I know anything interesting.
    Thanks a million (:

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I genuinely believe that writer's block isn't real. It's an excuse people give themselves not to write. Just because you're not bursting at the seams with inspiration doesn't mean that you can't write. Sure, it might mean that what you write might be bad for a while, until a good idea hits you, but in my experience, the absolute worst thing you could do is not write. 

So, that said, here is an infallible formula that can help you beat "writers block:" Free up an hour each day of the week. For that hour, you will turn off your cell phone, television, WiFi, and anything else that might distract you. You will open your word processor or your notebook--whichever you prefer, and write whatever you can for an hour. If you truly can't write, then you will sit and stare at the screen, but my guess is sooner or later you'll put some words on that page.

Also, as to the whole problem of "write what you know:" have you read Proust? He was a very average sort of person indeed, and he wrote a 4,000 page novel about his childhood. It went on to become one of the greatest works of literature of all time. You don't need to have had some kind of extraordinary life to write fiction.

But I would also say that "write what you know" isn't imperative; there have been some great books written by authors who didn't follow the adage. Nabokov, as far as I know, was never a pedophile. David Foster Wallace never went to school at a tennis academy. It turns out that Austen's personal, romantic life was in fact a non-event. Etc. 

If you want to write, write. Figure out the rest later.
    by Lavache_Beadsman
  • deeleelambbaadeeleelambbaa Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 15
    Hey all (:

Thanks a million (:

In my Writing Process course for University, I read some really interesting ways of getting the juices flowing. I especially enjoyed Peter Elbow's Writing with Power. It helped a lot with suggestions such as the one mentioned by Lavache_Beadsman, that you should set aside a certain time of the day where you will write whether you want to or not! Rather than simply looking at the screen during this time if you have nothing to write, you should write as a train of thought, continuously. Don't stop, simply write what comes to your mind at first (and NO, your mind is NEVER empty!). Even if it's an entire page of "I don't know what to write, so I'm just going to keep writing lalalalalalalalalalalaaaaa I wish I could write something really productive and have some really inspiring thoughts so I could sell a bunch of books and be famous and rich and never worry about money ever again but instead I'm just writing this stupid train of thought" nonsense (sorry for the dark turn that took, apparently my uninhibited soul only ever thinks of money...yeesh), then it is still something. And you would be surprised by how much it helps to get your fingers going across the keyboard. The clicking of the keys are inspiring in and of themselves! 
    "She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain."
    -Louisa May Alcott
  • MoundfreekMoundfreek Colorado SpringsPosts: 17
    edited February 2015
    Look at all these writers! I love it! I'm a self published novelist. I've written 2 fantasies and one satire on the paranormal genre (unpublished). All of you have such interesting personal stories. I hope you keep chasing the dream!

As to methodology, I'm of the mind that there is no right or wrong way to make a story. But we stand on the shoulders of greats. Never stop reading. Authors are mentors, whether they are aware of it or not. 
    by Moundfreek
    I am a professional ecologist with ulcerative colitis .... but am not Hank. Books and nerds are my favorite.
  • DoctorDonna20DoctorDonna20 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    I am putting together a collection of Haitian short stories, I just started the social media campaign the other day. There will be a Kickstarter to help it be published that starts on May 1st! The title is Seeds in a Dark Fruit Sky.

You can check out what I'm up to by following these links:
    Website is www.seedsinadarkfruitsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook page www.facebook.com/seedsinadarkfruitsky.com
  • Owl-of-DeathOwl-of-Death Donegal, IrelandPosts: 3
    I finaly seem to be getting somewhere with one of my (many) unfinished novels! The only problem is I've just realised I haven't described the two mane characters! Woops!
  • NackPTNackPT Posts: 41
    I am a poet, releasing a collection later this year with a bunch of other folks.

• anxiously_awareanxiously_aware Depends on the hourPosts: 131 ✭✭
    I'd like to write a book, but I have too much to do, what with school, extracurricular activities, and just general life; so I suppose that maybe I'll give it a shot after I graduate this year, when everything(hopefully) settles down a little bit. Plus, I just don't know what to write about or how to start.
    "Every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every 'superstar,' every 'supreme leader,' every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
  • DaughterNatureDaughterNature ChicagoPosts: 6
    I just joined, so I have a few comments for posts above:

CaitRose I think your idea for a novel has some promise (sounds a little like the Fallout video games, which are awesome). The only thing I would caution you on is how you approach scifi. Good scifi takes the rules of science/physics/biology/chemistry that we already have and tweaks them or extends them or uses them to explain the fantastic stuff happening in your story, whereas fantasy just makes up new rules. You idea about different kinds of bombs and epidemic, identical mutations occurring as a result of exposure to the bombs sounds like you might need to do a little more research about nuclear science (my husband is a nuclear scientist, which is why your idea stuck out to me). Read about how nuclear bombs work, read about what they can do to biological organisms - talk to people with direct experience building these things or treating the results. An educated writer is a strong writer.

mikaylamarie I was going to give the "write what you know" advice, but it sounds like you've already received that. I like to take long walks outside in lots of different places - new settings give me new ideas. But maybe the best writing advice I've ever received is from a book I read (I don't even remember what it was called - it was quite a while ago). One of the characters told another character to look at the facade of a building and write about it, but she said she didn't know how. So he told her to write about one single brick in the facade. A day or so later she came back and told him that she had started with that one brick, and then written about the next one, and the next, so on and so for until she'd written several pages. So maybe start out small, detail-oriented, and see where it takes you?

Owl-of-Death Best ways to fix that:
               1) Write a complete dating website profile for each of the characters you create to get to know them better
               2) Create a whole bunch of everyday and unusual circumstances and write out how each of your characters would respond in each situation.

anxiously_aware Haha, I think I have the same problem! I have way too many hobbies (I'm super bad at making choices). So when I decided I wanted to dedicate more time to my writing, I assigned a specific notebook, and decided I would write a minimum of 100 words per day. It's not very much, just enough to make sure that I'm still making progress. If I write on my computer, I still record the day's amount in the notebook so I can keep track. I've been doing this for a month, and I think it's really helping!

If anybody is looking for a good writers' forum, I love WritersCafe.org - I'm DaughterNature on there if you want to connect and review each others' work!
  • KanoeKanoe Posts: 2
    I currently pen short stories and sometimes poems, I'm slowly gathering my work in hopes of getting it published. I've tried, but I seem to be unable to write long, continuing stories. Trying to find my own, unique style as I experiment!
  • KanoeKanoe Posts: 2
    I just joined, so I have a few comments for posts above:

CaitRose I think your idea for a novel has some promise (sounds a little like the Fallout video games, which are awesome). The only thing I would caution you on is how you approach scifi. Good scifi takes the rules of science/physics/biology/chemistry that we already have and tweaks them or extends them or uses them to explain the fantastic stuff happening in your story, whereas fantasy just makes up new rules. You idea about different kinds of bombs and epidemic, identical mutations occurring as a result of exposure to the bombs sounds like you might need to do a little more research about nuclear science (my husband is a nuclear scientist, which is why your idea stuck out to me). Read about how nuclear bombs work, read about what they can do to biological organisms - talk to people with direct experience building these things or treating the results. An educated writer is a strong writer.

mikaylamarie I was going to give the "write what you know" advice, but it sounds like you've already received that. I like to take long walks outside in lots of different places - new settings give me new ideas. But maybe the best writing advice I've ever received is from a book I read (I don't even remember what it was called - it was quite a while ago). One of the characters told another character to look at the facade of a building and write about it, but she said she didn't know how. So he told her to write about one single brick in the facade. A day or so later she came back and told him that she had started with that one brick, and then written about the next one, and the next, so on and so for until she'd written several pages. So maybe start out small, detail-oriented, and see where it takes you?

Owl-of-Death Best ways to fix that:
               1) Write a complete dating website profile for each of the characters you create to get to know them better
               2) Create a whole bunch of everyday and unusual circumstances and write out how each of your characters would respond in each situation.

anxiously_aware Haha, I think I have the same problem! I have way too many hobbies (I'm super bad at making choices). So when I decided I wanted to dedicate more time to my writing, I assigned a specific notebook, and decided I would write a minimum of 100 words per day. It's not very much, just enough to make sure that I'm still making progress. If I write on my computer, I still record the day's amount in the notebook so I can keep track. I've been doing this for a month, and I think it's really helping!

If anybody is looking for a good writers' forum, I love WritersCafe.org - I'm DaughterNature on there if you want to connect and review each others' work!
    I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up!
  • MiguelBrottoBRMiguelBrottoBR BrazilPosts: 1
    Hi people! I'm poet/writer and I wanted to know if you had any idea where I should start my "career" or if you would be interested to read some of my stories or poems and tell me your opinions about them. Sorry for the very short post (It's my first ever post that I "say" about my aspiring writer's career)
    PS. DFTBA and thank you for your help!
    DFTBA and joy your reading time!
  • RogansRunRogansRun Posts: 16
    I'm currently working on a novel but it's been in the pipeline for ages. I'm hoping I'll have it finished at the end of the year though. It's about a couple of office workers who, after working at their humdrum jobs for a few years, randomly get a phone call from a pizza parlour that blackmails them into committing various crimes.