Civilization

MichkovMichkov Posts: 104 ✭✭
Any Civ players here? I mostly play 4&5

Comments

• KelsierKelsier Posts: 38 ✭✭
    I don't play it often, but I do have Civ 5. Paradox grand strategy for life. 
  • vikingqueenvikingqueen Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I play 5 my copy of 4 seems to have died.
    How do you guys prefer to play it, I seem to only play for a cultural victory or rarely a space race victory and it always just seems too simple but I am absolutely rubbish at conquest. 
    Does anyone have gods and kings? I've been thinking of getting it because I liked the religious aspect in 4 (well it had its moments) but I'm not sure its worth getting.
  • I have Civ 3, 4 & 5 on Steam. I don't play that much anymore, the games take too long to complete. 
  • pluto789joshpluto789josh Posts: 31
    Ive played 3-4 and liked 3 a lot since it was just the perfect level of complexity. I Preferred Alpha century because of the sci-fi element even though it was created the very same Sid Miers and his team.
  • HeddyHeddy Posts: 2
    Yeah, I play a bit of 3 and 4 on occasion. I'm not very good, but I enjoy it.
  • TheOddOneTheOddOne Posts: 1
    We just purchased Civ V on steam.
  • rydude17rydude17 ScotlandPosts: 8,636 ✭✭✭✭
  • malthus26malthus26 Posts: 1
    Civilization 4 on deity mode. You... Will... Not... Survive

• smugsticklesmugstickle Posts: 11
    Civ 1 was the first game I ever played. Very first! Over 20 years ago. 

I have played every Civ game since, favorite is still Civ 2 Gold edition, 3 was interesing graphically, but Alpha Centauri was better. Civ 4 was pretty, but a massive memory hog. Civ 5 is also a memory hog on huge world-maps, and I really enjoyed playing it.

But then I found out about Crusader Kings 2. And well, I haven't played anything else for 2 months or so, 276 hours so far (Damn). I tried playing EU3, but didn't like it as much. Or Victoria. But I am looking forward to EU4. 
  • softlystarbirdsoftlystarbird Raleigh, NC, USAPosts: 16
    Ive played 3-4 and liked 3 a lot since it was just the perfect level of complexity. I Preferred Alpha century because of the sci-fi element even though it was created the very same Sid Miers and his team.
    Yeah I used to prefer Alpha Centauri, but I'm so used to the terribly easy difficulty I tried to play it again on the harder modes and it was NOT fun to me at all (unfortunately). I have Civ 3 (which was great) and Civ 5 + the DLCs and I think I like 5 more than 3 though it is definitely close.

Civ 5 wasn't really complete until the recent Brave New World DLC. Civ 5 on its own had good early game, poor middle, and poor late game mechanics. Gods and Kings added good middle game mechanics but didn't do much at all for end game, and Brave New World made end game fantastic. It actually feels like a full game. 

In terms of speed, standard doesn't take TOO long. It is definitely a while based on map size (smaller map = less civs = faster), so playing a quick game would probably be more up your alley. I am obsessed with huge maps at marathon speed (because I'm a masochist turn-based strat gamer apparently) which literally will eat up hundreds of hours but require a lot more micro of all your units and city production.

The PROBLEM I have with it is the AI is pretty much two dimensional. Eventually if you micro manage well enough, you'll simply out pace the computer at any difficulty (unless it's Russia, because unholy crap they are nuts) where they simply cannot catch you if you do it right. I haven't played with real folks only AI because I don't think my friends have/like it. 
  • ArtemisBoxArtemisBox ArizonaPosts: 86
    I play 5 my copy of 4 seems to have died.
    How do you guys prefer to play it, I seem to only play for a cultural victory or rarely a space race victory and it always just seems too simple but I am absolutely rubbish at conquest. 
    Does anyone have gods and kings? I've been thinking of getting it because I liked the religious aspect in 4 (well it had its moments) but I'm not sure its worth getting.
    I has the gods and kings!  I don't know if it's worth getting.  If you use steam I'd wait till Christmas time for the sales if you really want it.
  • hunter711hunter711 Posts: 11
    I've got Civ 5. 

Anyone know of any good mods for it on Steam? I've been getting a tad bored with the normal gameplay and wanted to spice things up a bit.
  • MichkovMichkov Posts: 104 ✭✭
    Havn't tried many civ 5 mods yet, my PC barely can run vanilla Civ5. Best start would be this forum, for any kinds of civ related matter.
  • McEstebanMcEsteban Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Been playing since 3.  Love it.  Has probably greatly shaped the way I view the world and my knowledge of it.  Started when I was 9.
  • Gumba23Gumba23 GermanyPosts: 88 ✭✭✭
    I've just finished my first game in brave new world, which is really amazing. It does have some epic scale. I was going for a cultural victory with siam and had all the city states on my side. Towards the end I felt that the AI lacked a bit of flexibility. They recognized that I was a threat because I was able to overrule every decision in the united nations, but they took far too long to act on it. After my ally korea got into a war i was able to build a huge fleet in no time and obliterate two civilizations before they had any time to react. I was playing on normal difficulty though, so I guess i have to step that up and see where it gets me.
    I really liked that after my little blitzkrieg the other civilizations realized that I was not to be trusted and really started to take action against me, albeit far too late.
    I really want to check out if they improved the stability of the multiplayer, because the whole world congress thing should be really epic with a few human players where you actually have to form alliances.

Check out my movie blog over at

http://screentestba.blogspot.de/

• zackorothzackoroth Posts: 35
    I have started playing civ 5 recently
  • gfightergfighter Posts: 4
    Civ 5 is great, especially how it is optimised for my $300 device and works at around 20 fps. I have all the expansion packs, and for me Science/Technological victory seems easiest (if someone is close to victory I just nuke them late game :smile: )