Animal Farm

Have any nerdfighters out there read George Orwells animal farm? I myself, loved, but I've heard mixed opinions on engagement, length, etc. I think it did a fantastic job of conveying its themes concerning communism and its fundamental flaws.

Comments

• Pres_of_BlueCaramelPres_of_BlueCaramel flipping every pebble on the eastern coast, trying to find the resurrection stone.Posts: 276 ✭✭
    i will let you know when i am done, it has been on my list FOREVER.  every time i look at the bookshelf , it stares back at me , trying to make me read it. And then i feel guilty... 
    "The poet, the writer's voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of the props or pillars to help him endure and prevail"
  • SirCouchSirCouch Posts: 27
    i will let you know when i am done, it has been on my list FOREVER.  every time i look at the bookshelf , it stares back at me , trying to make me read it. And then i feel guilty... 
    READ IT! Ohmigod, its amazing, in my opinion. it also hurts my feels.
  • jcwalker02jcwalker02 Posts: 5
    The ending was amazing
    it was, it made me go quiet for 10 minutes just contemplating and accepting what had happened.
  • scarlettplusnoirscarlettplusnoir Posts: 195 ✭✭
    I read animal farm when I was little and then I studied it in English last year. I personally think it is an extremely clever novel and I love how it made just as much sense reading it when I was 6 as it did when I was 14 and studying it and again when I read it this year.
    My goal in life is to live forever, so far so good - Charlie Fink
  • JustinSwanJustinSwan Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    I loved it. I remember finishing it in bed and just laying there for a solid 20 minutes thinking about the ending. Orwell's endings are always very poignant. I highly recommend Animal Farm to anyone who hasn't read it, along with Orwell's other writings such as 1984 and Homage to Catalonia.
    “But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.” 
    ― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars
    I loved it. I remember finishing it in bed and just laying there for a solid 20 minutes thinking about the ending. Orwell's endings are always very poignant. I highly recommend Animal Farm to anyone who hasn't read it, along with Orwell's other writings such as 1984 and Homage to Catalonia.
    I'm trying to read 1984 now, but its not quite as "un-put-down-able" as animal farm.
  • goldeneaglegoldeneagle Posts: 350 ✭✭
    Read it a few years ago--I thought there were some very interesting ideas in Animal Farm. Watching the creep of corruption throughout the book was fascinating and scary. It's a great story. 
  • coolcat3699coolcat3699 Sydenham, LondonPosts: 144 ✭✭
    Read it last year in the aummer hols but I watch the film befote and my brother did the play at his school
    i really enjoyed the book and loved how all the characters were impersonations of diffdrent humans like napoleon was stalin and stuff like that :-) it was rlly gd
    i havent got round to reading 1984 but i hope to
  • 45regan45regan Posts: 146 ✭✭
    I had to read it for school and I honestly didn't like it. I understand why it make sense in context of the whole communism thing but i had to stop almost ever paragraph to answer questions for my teacher which made it a very unenjoyable experience. I think I would have liked it better if I had read it on my own
  • leFailFishleFailFish EnglandPosts: 403 ✭✭✭
    I first read it for fun when I was quite young (9 or 10) and enjoyed it, although at that age I don't think I understood all the concepts and themes within it. I also saw a stage adaptation in the theatre, which despite the cleverness I did not enjoy - they tried to make it understandable for children yet something seemed to happen to the story when they did that and I just couldn't like it. I don't know why.

I read it again more recently, a couple of years ago when I had to study it for history. I found it ok - not amazing, but ok - and understood many more of the themes. The way it is written is certainly very clever, and I admire how George Orwell has done that, but it isn't the most amazing book in the world. In my opinion - everyone's entitled to their own!
    'I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.' Fandoms are life. I am not a psychopath, I am a high-functioning fangirl.
  • KarosKaros United KingdomPosts: 69
    I originally read it in school in year 9, I didn't quite get all of the references at that point but now I have studied more history I can understand a lot more of the subtleties. I think I'll definitely have to re-read it. As for 1984 it is an amazing book! Very depressing in places but it highlights a lot of interesting points, the power of authority, need for social reform, power through knowledge etc.
  • HistoryNerdHistoryNerd Posts: 7
    I love books with deeper meaning, and I love history. Animal Farm! I love the almost exact comparison to Lenin, Stalin, etc.