Hello! (Introductions)

Comments

• MeroviusMerovius Zürich, SwitzerlandPosts: 24
    Hey :)

I'm Axel, I'm from Germany, currently living in Switzerland (and currently currently visiting the US - still in my hotel room after Nerdcon Nerdfighteria).

I'm a computer nerd by trade and pretty much my whole life is dominated by the tech community. All my friends are in tech, my hobbies are "programming" and it feels like the only marketable skills I have are doing tech-things. This is currently causing a great deal of anxiety to me, as I it means that this is all I have and if I fail at my job, that'll mean my whole life is going to be gone, pretty much.

So yeah. I'm trying to break out of my bubble, widen my circle, get to know new, different kinds of people and build new, broader skills as a safety net for my inevitable doom. And the nerdfighter community seems pretty well aligned with my values, so it's probably a good place to start :) I started learning about it from Crash Course World History first, through that to the vlogbrothers videos, then to Dear Hank And John and finally reading through John's entire Bibliography.

In terms of what non-tech things I do (or plan to do): As a child I read a lot and I wanted to be a writer for the first two thirds of my life, so I might be trying to pick that up again (ever since I went to university, I kinda didn't have the time to read much, though…). I've also, for a long time now, wanted to start a youtube-channel to teach undergrad mathematics (I have a masters in math).
  • beepbop1011beepbop1011 International Space StationPosts: 628 ✭✭✭
    @Merovius Welcome to Our lovely, lovely Pants.

How'd Nerdcon go for you?
    Merovius said:

In terms of what non-tech things I do (or plan to do): As a child I read a lot and I wanted to be a writer for the first two thirds of my life, so I might be trying to pick that up again (ever since I went to university, I kinda didn't have the time to read much, though…)

I'm likely to pursue a career in STEM but I also worry that I'll lose my reading habbit :/

bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz bzz bzz zzz
  • NeiroAtOpelCcNeiroAtOpelCc Denmark (Als)Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭
    Wilkommen dabei.
    Making math content may be a good thing. It doesn't seem to be a priority to learn these days, which I find to be a shame.

@beepbop1011 It was fun, the panels, Q&As, the expo… where all really great. I had a hard time to actually connect to people though. If I'm lucky I made one or two connections that might survive the end of Nerdcon, we'll see :)

@NeiroAtOpelCc I agree. From existing math content I'm missing a focus on long-term understanding of the subject matter, as opposed to short-term "edutainment". It's really hard, though, to make this in a way that works well. After all, if you hate math in school, why would you want to do it in your free time too? :) Again, only time will tell, I'm determined to at least try it out for a while :)
    @beepbop1011 Oh and re losing your reading habit: If it's something you are passionate about, which has a significant space in your life and that provides you with a community (which seems to be the case with nerdfighteria), I don't think it's *much* of a problem. For me, at least, the problem wasn't so much that studying took time, but that I did other things on top (I was very active in the student council and the German hacker community), which gave me a better sense of belonging and friends making me prioritize them over reading.
    @Merovius You could possible make use of the information in this video, if you're set on trying to make youtube content :)

if I may suggest something: Don't copy the style of the cc physics videos. Shini is great and all, but it's going too fast for people like me to comprehend before more info is showed in.

Merovius said:

German hacker community

WICKED

• DannoDanno IowaPosts: 103 ✭✭
    awesome stuff @Merovius welcome
    edited February 27
    @beepbop1011 Really, it's not as dramatic as it sounds :) It mainly means I was am part of a large community interested in learning a lot about computers and using them to do cool things and doing a lot of open source developing and political activism in the digital rights/privacy sphere :) Not at all this: :)
    by Merovius
  • jenhurlerjenhurler CT, USAPosts: 9
    Hello everyone! Like @Merovius, I am fresh from Nerdcon: Nerdfighteria and did not want the magic to end. So after being a nerdfighter for almost 10 years, I have finally made an account here and joined up. :blush: Sorry for being so late to the party!

So a little about me. I am from New Jersey (in the US) but I live in Connecticut, where I work at a big animation studio. Animation is something that is both my career and hobby. I recently started a new channel trying to make more educational material about animation and its place in cinema studies, as that's the thing I am most excited about in life. At Nerdcon, Andre Meadows (Black Nerd) made a comment about how cool it would be to have a Crash Course Animation and I literally screamed, because that is what I am trying to do. *_* So it was really cool to go to Nerdcon and be so inspired by everyone to create, not just YouTube videos, but to just try new things without fear of judgement.

So I am trying to learn more things and expand to new areas of art and filmmaking, and in general be a decent human. This has always been the perfect community for that type of thing, and I am forever grateful to it.
    jenhurler said:

So after being a nerdfighter for almost 10 years, I have finally made an account here and joined up. :blush: Sorry for being so late to the party!

eh, it's all relative... welcome, either way @jenhurler
  • chunkydadchunkydad Iowa City. IAPosts: 2
    okay hi!!! my name is john, I'm 19, and i haven't watched a video by the green brothers since the fault in our stars came out.

im kinda hoping to get my bearings in the nerdfighter community again so i'm just gonna leave this here and say hello!!!!
    well welcome back @chunkydad
  • MikeAaronohnoMikeAaronohno Posts: 59
    Hello everybody, my name is Aaron. Mike Aaron. I don't like James Bond.

I'm a new Nerdfighter and literally just joined the forum. Hobbies are push-ups and stories. Problem is, I'm also a pretty private guy, but I really hope I can find a spot to help out here and decrease world suck without revealing my crime fighting secret Identity. I think I'll start a group of beta-readers on that writing spot I, well, spotted.

Hope all of ya'll have a great day.
  • MontannaPeachMontannaPeach Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭
    @MikeAaronohno Hi! Welcome to Our Pants! I can't honestly say push-ups are a hobby of mine, but I can definitely relate to the stories part. That's cool that you like push-ups though. Have fun decreasing worldsuck. There are plenty of places to do it. ^_^
    "I'll be a story in your head. That's okay. We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?"

Check out the new nerdfighter zine: http://thegreenlightzine.wix.com/home
  • MikeAaronohnoMikeAaronohno Posts: 59
    Thanks @MontannaPeach . I just read the latest one zine and it was fun, especially the sci-fi comedy article. Nice job you guys.
    glad you're finding your way around @MikeAaronohno
  • snowflake1814snowflake1814 Wisconsin, USAPosts: 39
    edited March 4
    I just realized I never *officially* introduced myself, despite hving been on the forums since January and positing since then.

So hey. Don't know what else to say other than I'm here and glad that there are other nerdfighters to decrease world suck with!
    by snowflake1814
    Memento mori
    @snowflake1814 nice signature
  • snowflake1814snowflake1814 Wisconsin, USAPosts: 39
    @beepbop1011 Thanks! (You also listen to DH&J?)
    Memento mori

I just realized I never *officially* introduced myself, despite hving been on the forums since January and positing since then.

it happens

• samanateasamanatea Posts: 1
    Hi! I'm Sam and I was just listening to the most recent episode of the pod and it didn't even occur to me that there's still be an active Nerdfighter forum floating around somewhere. So here I am!

I live in Indiana and am a recent college graduate. I wanted so badly to go to the con in Boston but couldn't afford the drive. I like Supernatural, hiking, board games, and writing fanfiction.
    Welcome

indeed, welcome @samanatea and i hope you don't stress too much about the con. life gets in the way for a lot of us
  • RenskyRensky Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm Lauren! :smile: I've been a nerd fighter for about a year and just discovered the forum. I'm from WA state, a nursing student, operate a switchboard, and thus spend most of my day reading. I'm a big ol' science nerd in addition to loving to hike. I'm trying to reach out a little, but never have done any thing in any kind of online community, so I really have no idea what I'm doing! :D
    welcome @Rensky
    and you don't need to worry too much about just starting out. if any community should be aware that we're all still learning, it's this one
  • BriRose23BriRose23 MarylandPosts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    @Rensky welcome!

This was also my first online community, and I have met so many amazing people! Don't worry about not knowing what you're doing, just poke around in some threads, and find some awesome people to talk to!

There is no darkness as dark as great light corrupted - Lauren Kate

TUMBLR    NERDY TUMBLR    GOODREADS    TWITTER    FACEBOOK    INSTAGRAM

BriRose23 said:

@Rensky welcome!

This was also my first online community, and I have met so many amazing people! Don't worry about not knowing what you're doing, just poke around in some threads, and find some awesome people to talk to!

yes. that
  • ohalltheplacesohalltheplaces What does this do? texasPosts: 424 ✭✭✭
    my goodness there has been a large flood of nerdfighters!
    @Rensky @samanatea @MikeAaronohno welcome
    I care so much I'm sick - Fahrenheit 451