2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread

SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
Discuss

Comments

• Alix23Alix23 Posts: 38
    Overpaid idiots. Sorry.

I'm the motherfucking fox

• SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
    No need to apologise, but why do you feel this way?
  • DandersonDanderson Posts: 14
    edited November 2012

Yes they're overpaid compared to many professions (doctors, teachers, hell even the PM!) but they are paid those wages because they can be. If you want to blame someone for it, blame the fans (like me) who may grumble about it but will fork out the money for merchandise and tickets.

This reminds me of the quote from Fever Pitch: "Three minutes to go and you're two--one up in a semi-final and you look around and you see all those thousands of faces contorted with fear and hope and worry, everyone lost, everything else gone out of their heads... the whistle blows and everyone goes to spare, and just for those few minutes, you're at the centre of the whole world. And the fact that you care so much, that the noise you have made has been such a crucial part of it all, is what makes it special. Because you've seen every bit as important as the players, and if you hadn't been there, then who'd be bothered about football, really?"

The English Premier League (and any sport really) is about so much more than just the footballers, overpaid idiots or not.

by Danderson
    By the way, maybe my obsession with Fever Pitch has already betrayed me but I'm an Arsenal fan :)
    I'm a Manchester United fan but since they are not playing until 5:30 I'm watching the Arsenal game. What are your opinions on Ramsey?
    edited November 2012

Well that changes everything, Manchester United are overpaid, souless idiots (sorrry I'm kidding, I'm still just bitter over the RvP fiasco :) ). I can't actually watch the game today but I'm keeping my eye on the score. Looks just as depressing as most of our games have been in recent weeks, but of course I still be watching the highlights later! As for Ramsey, I don't like to single him out for playing poorly, especially when a lot of our players have been disappointing recently. Last weekend he was pretty much non-existent and I couldn't see much difference between the Arsenal with him and the 10 men Arsenal after Wilshere was sent off. But he does have his moments of brilliance and I'll keep on supporting him in the hope they become more consistent. Like I said, there are a lot of weaknesses in the Arsenal team at the moment, and none of them can be blamed on any one single player.

Of course, we're still going to win the Premier League, because we are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen!

by Danderson

It's been surprisingly poor defensively considering how well Arsenal were at defending at the beginning of the season. Having your 3rd choice keeper obviously doesn't help (although I consider him 2nd choice since lol flappyhandski). Giroud scoring 2 is a positive considering he was looking like Chamach II in the first few weeks.  There is an obvious problem in the middle since you sold song and with Diaby fit for about 2 games a season this will be a problem.

Ramsey tends to take most of the blame and has done for years. I do see why people complain as he doesn't excel at anything and one moment of brilliance for every 10 fails is not a good enough return. A bit like Nani for us. Frustrating player.

Liverpool will win the league. It's their year. #anyonebutcity

What I wouldn't give for a frustrating player rather than a frustrating team! That would probably have been a pretty interesting game to see as an outsider but from an Arsenal perspective to go from 2-0 up to 2-3 down shows more than a minor problem with our defence. I definitely look forward to Szczesny's return to a starting line-up but I don't think that's going to solve much really. On the positive side, as far as I can tell Giroud had a really good game today. Not quite sure why he didn't take the penalty since he was on for a hat-trick and confidence must have been high? Nevermind...

Liverpool? That's even more of a joke than Arsenal winning it :) I'm afraid from my point of view that would be #anyonebutunited. Come on Villa!

• MariaMaria Posts: 21

I'm a Chelsea fan, but I guess you could call our relationship "complicated". Usually I'm rooting for the underdog and it's been a while since Chelsea was one of those - but it's also been a while since I became a fan, and you can't pick a new favourite team. (If I could, I'd probably go with Arsenal (hey underdog and constant underachiever!), a team I've had a crush on since the Bergkamp/Henry/Ljungberg/Vieira/Pires days.)

And in addition to being too big and successful there's now all this drama and dodgy stuff going on with Chelsea. Terry and Cole... It's not easy. But tomorrow I'll be crossing all the fingers I've got when we face Liverpool.

Danderson said:

Liverpool? That's even more of a joke than Arsenal winning it :) I'm afraid from my point of view that would be #anyonebutunited. Come on Villa!

Looks like you may get your wish :(

Arsenal and United have some similar problems. Theres just no steel in the middle. Carzola is the creator, Ramsey excels in nothing and Arteta does an good job as the DM but it isn't as natural to him as it would be for Song or Diaby. Man United have no steel either although Fergie seems to think Carrick > Yaya.

Maria said:

I'm a Chelsea fan, but I guess you could call our relationship "complicated". Usually I'm rooting for the underdog and it's been a while since Chelsea was one of those - but it's also been a while since I became a fan, and you can't pick a new favourite team. (If I could, I'd probably go with Arsenal (hey underdog and constant underachiever!), a team I've had a crush on since the Bergkamp/Henry/Ljungberg/Vieira/Pires days.)

And in addition to being too big and successful there's now all this drama and dodgy stuff going on with Chelsea. Terry and Cole... It's not easy. But tomorrow I'll be crossing all the fingers I've got when we face Liverpool.

Chelsea have a really good team. As long as they play Mikel and Ramires in the centre and not Lampard then they tend to work as a team. A lack of striker may be the biggest problem though as Torres has lost it and Sturidge won't get picked ahead of him. I'd like to see Moses get a try up front.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Coles last season so that will help Chelseas image. Terry is still important however as you can see whenever Chelsea try and defend a corner without him.
    edited November 2012
    Never in doubt  :-\"
    by Snowman
    Snowman said:
    Never in doubt  :-\"

Haha. I don't even get the consolation of Man U losing :( MOTD is going to be fun tonight...
    Hernandez really should be on the teamsheet everyweek. If he was as big a name as RVP or Rooney he would be.

MOTD2 should be good for you with the envitable trashing of Tottenham by City.
  • TylerTyler Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    Hey fellow Nerdfighter football fans :)
    As a West Ham lifelong fan I can safely say ALL your teams' players are overpaid idiots

...nah I'm only joking. But now that I live in America west ham only get broadcast very rarely. I saw some clips but did anyone see the city-hammers game? I was wondering how we pulled that off

Anyway I just hope for a solid finish to this season, maybe even in the top half ( we are ninth now) to consolidate our promotion.

What do you all think of West ham ( if anything)?
    image       image       image       image         image       image
    Liked this comment? Think I'm worth checking out? Just want to stalk me on the internet? 
    Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Behance (for those who don't know, it's an art portfolio site)    

• BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Having attempted to start following the Premier League many times in the past, I've finally buckled down and committed to seriously watching it this season. As a Canadian, however, I don't really have any geographic ties to any one team or another, so I picked my team based solely on the fact that they have a Croatian striker - go Everton! 

I have to say, I am rather happy with how things are shaping up this season so far. But I know very little about football so I may be completely wrong as well...
  • smurfitesmurfite Posts: 7
    Hey Liverpool fan here

Lets just say we haven't had the best season so far and i am bricking it about Chelsea tomorrow but the beauty of the game is that it could all change. 

I'm assuming that Liverpool winning the league is a joke as even I don't believe that this season and I'm quite the optimist. However I think we could aim for a top 4 finish if we can get our act together and get a good striker in during the January transfer window. Though I'm not sure who we would look to buy.

Either way bring on Chelsea tomorrow! YNWA
    I haven't been following Liverpool but I remember Luis Suarez being pretty great?
    I don't know why a striker would be the top priority. 

Anyway selling us Carroll was a wise move although he may not be that great for us either.

Let's just say I give many thanks to Newcastle for selling us Kevin Nolan.
    Liked this comment? Think I'm worth checking out? Just want to stalk me on the internet? 
    Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Behance (for those who don't know, it's an art portfolio site)    

• ButtersButters Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an American Man U supporter thanks to my grandma from England. Wears her scarf every game day. But being from the other side of the pond has it's unique pitfalls to actually watching games. I get highlights and scores most of the time but I have to have the time to go look them up. Wish I could be more educated about my team of choice. Watch for the little things, feel the glimmer of hope at every quality shot and what not. 
    Main Mafioso Manager
    Duckies!
    Land Of The Last Ones: Chef
    I make videos on the internet with some friends from right here on OP. You can watch them here!
    Hey fellow Nerdfighter football fans :) As a West Ham lifelong fan I can safely say ALL your teams' players are overpaid idiots ...nah I'm only joking. But now that I live in America west ham only get broadcast very rarely. I saw some clips but did anyone see the city-hammers game? I was wondering how we pulled that off Anyway I just hope for a solid finish to this season, maybe even in the top half ( we are ninth now) to consolidate our promotion. What do you all think of West ham ( if anything)?
    West Ham would be the surprise of the season if it wasn't for West Broms form so far. I saw the game and it's a shame Nolans goal was wrongly called offside (although it may be a blessing, City being a goal down usually spurs them on). At the start of the season I put West Ham in 15th but after seeing teams do worse then I thought (Sunderland for example) I think they should be on for a 9th - 13th place finish which is good considering it's their first season back in the top flight.

Having attempted to start following the Premier League many times in the past, I've finally buckled down and committed to seriously watching it this season. As a Canadian, however, I don't really have any geographic ties to any one team or another, so I picked my team based solely on the fact that they have a Croatian striker - go Everton! 

I have to say, I am rather happy with how things are shaping up this season so far. But I know very little about football so I may be completely wrong as well...
    Things are going well. Everton are a team (at least in the last 10 years) that have been so close to a top 4 team. They tend to have bad starts to a season and finish strongly but with such a strong start to the season so far, the skys the limit. If Everton are around top 4 after christmas they have a serious chance of top 4 so exciting times to be an Everton fan!

smurfite said:
    Hey Liverpool fan here
    Leave my thread!

smurfite said:

Lets just say we haven't had the best season so far and i am bricking it about Chelsea tomorrow but the beauty of the game is that it could all change. 

I'm assuming that Liverpool winning the league is a joke as even I don't believe that this season and I'm quite the optimist. However I think we could aim for a top 4 finish if we can get our act together and get a good striker in during the January transfer window. Though I'm not sure who we would look to buy.

Either way bring on Chelsea tomorrow! YNWA
    I don't think you should be bricking it about Chelsea to be honest. You always raise your game against the big boys and if the tactics are right you should be able to get a point. I'd line up:

Reina/Jones

Wisdom - Skrtel - Agger

Johnson ---------------------------- Enrique

5 in defense, with Enrique and Johnson bombing down the wings in attack, and Allen dropping deeper in the centre. Went alright against Anzhi in that exact formation with the reserves playing and against Everton in the 2nd half.

I haven't been following Liverpool but I remember Luis Suarez being pretty great?
    I don't know why a striker would be the top priority. 

Anyway selling us Carroll was a wise move although he may not be that great for us either.

Let's just say I give many thanks to Newcastle for selling us Kevin Nolan.
    It's because they only have two strikers in their team and one has a broken leg. Also they do struggle to score goals, if they had a better striker they could easily be top 4 right now. It's hard to think of who would be good enough to score goals in the premiership and go to a team without champions league. Lisandro Lopez from Lyon or Darrent Bent from Villa would be good signings for them.
  • AlineAline Posts: 221 ✭✭✭
    Hey! I love football  :D I haven't had the time to follow the British league lately, though... Although I'm Brazilian, I'm a fan of Spain national team since 2002. Can't wait for the Confederations Cup and World Cup here in Brazil!  8-> Also, I'm a fan of Internacional from Porto Alegre (Brasil).

PS: I must agree a good part of the players are overpaid. :|
    Aline
    "Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
    Does anyone know of any good, non-crazy streaming sites that I can watch matches on from the US? Preferably free since I already know about the paid ones such as West Ham TV for my club's matches and then the broader ones for all matches

edited November 2012
    @NerdfighTyler firstrowsports.eu
    by Snowman
  • NucleusDawnNucleusDawn Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    Snowman said:
    I'm a Manchester United fan 
    Same here  :-bd

It's so much fun being a ManU fan these days. The ending of the past season was heart wrenching, but we seem to do much better this year. I think Chelsea and us are going all the way this season. City seems to be much less lethal than last year, but that could change, the minute they'll get thrown out of the champions cup.

De Gea plays way better, than last year. He has incredible talent, and if he can leave the goal line once in a couple of cross' (is this the right way to wright "cross" in plural?), that would be nice.
    Smalling is playing so much better, and even Rafael is starting to show us all the reasons Sir Alex put his trust in him.
    Vidic seems like he can't return from his injury and Ferdinand is also a disappointment, but I kind of like how Evans plays in the last few games. Evra, by the way, seems to be past his prime.
    We need a couple of good defenders. I'd love to see Hammels come over from Dortmund, and someone like Sergio Ramos would be awesome as well.

Up front, we have no problem at all. The rumor mill is once again spinning about Sneijder and it seems he might be coming our way in a couple of months. That would be awesome, because there is no way the amazing Giggs and Scholes can keep up with their game.

I really don't get what's going on with Nani. He's very solid at everything he does, but we were looking for something way better than solid from him. I won't cry if he moves on (he might even need it to become the player he could have been), since Valencia is doing incredibly well.

I'm still basking in the glow from last night's win. That was so amazing :)

PS
    Wow... I wrote more than I planned to...
    by NucleusDawn
    "Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"
  • BelisariusBelisarius Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    Snowman said:
    Things are going well. 
    Huzzah!
  • MariaMaria Posts: 21
    edited November 2012
    It's so much fun being a ManU fan these days.

OK, this is me talking (apparently can't figure out quoting) --->
    Are you saying there are days when it's NOT fun being a ManU fan? Seriously, you're always winning. :P
    Didn't even bother getting my hopes up yesterday when you were down 2-0 against Villa, I just knew it would change before full time.  
    by Maria
    Liverpool league goalscores so far this season:

Suarez- 8

Own Goal- 2

Sahin, Gerrard, Skrtel and Sterling all with 1.

That own goal lad has a great future ahead of him.
    Snowman said:

Suarez- 8

Own Goal- 2

Also what was the story with Dirk Kuyt? I actually like watching Liverpool play and when I followed them more I think two seasons ago (when they sold Torres) I saw Kuyt and he was great. Was it just a money thing or did something happen?

Tyler said:
    Snowman said:

Suarez- 8

Own Goal- 2

Also what was the story with Dirk Kuyt? I actually like watching Liverpool play and when I followed them more I think two seasons ago (when they sold Torres) I saw Kuyt and he was great. Was it just a money thing or did something happen?
    He was just getting old. He is 32 so will probably retire in 2/3 years. May as well cash in on him now rather then let him go for free. Also I don't think he would have fit into the new managers plans.
  • QEDQED Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    I really don't get what's going on with Nani. 
     The problem with Nani has always been he lacks consistency, he has some great games but they are far too far apart. Looks like he got injured again at the weekend so he will be back on the sidelines again for a while I expect. 
    I wish I saw the Hammers match against Newcastle

We seem to be pulling off very unconvincing wins. It's weird but I'm not complaining.

Does nobody else find it really odd that West Brom and West Ham, two clubs that aren't generally that great, are fifth and sixth? And West Brom have really been in top form this season.

I'm also kind of surprised about QPR. I haven't been following them, but I know they spent some cash on new transfers and did pretty well last season so what's happening here?