2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread

Comments

• ElroElro Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November 2012
    I'm not all that surprised by West Brom they had a solid mid-table team under Hodgson and have made some good signings during the summer, especially Lukaku. Add to that the great decision in appointing Steve Clark and hopefully they'll be pushing for a European place come May. 

I'm surprised to see West Ham doing so well, I figured they'd be good enough to stay up this year but didn't think they'd be the highest placed of the new clubs.

As for QPR, yeah they spent a lot of cash but they bought so many players that Hughes doesn't even seem to know their best 11. Until they get that sorted I think they'll continue to struggle.

Also just to add, still can't believe that van Persie is playing with United now, it's so weird to see him in the United shirt.
    by Elro
  • TylerTyler Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    @Elro
    seconded on the van persie statement, it's an odd thing to see.

Also I'd like to say that Tottenham have potential, I know some of their players are ageing but they can be quite good. But I don't understand while after all this time Gomes is still their keeper...
    image       image       image       image         image       image
    Liked this comment? Think I'm worth checking out? Just want to stalk me on the internet? 
    Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Behance (for those who don't know, it's an art portfolio site)    

• SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
    Everything that @Elro has said is true! (over than the hopefully part about West Brom, ewww West Brom)

What team do you support btw?
    I'm a Man Utd supporter.

@Tyler I'm surprised Gomes is still with Spurs as well I would have thought he'd have moved on by now especially given that he's the 4th choice keeper there and not likely to play again any time soon.
  • QEDQED Posts: 198 ✭✭✭
    QPR only stayed up on the last day of the season last season so they didn't do that well. In the summer they brought in too many players and probably too many players that are on the down or not hungry enough. You also can be on dodgy ground when you bring bigger name/wage players to a smaller club. I believe it was George Graham who said that any time you sign a player and they think they are doing you a favour by coming to your club things are always going to end badly. 
    edited November 2012
    QPR are buying indivduals when they should be buying a team.
    by Snowman
    Snowman said:
    QPR are buying indivduals when they should be buying a team.
    I suggest they buy Barcelona  :P
    I feel like this thread has died.

So to bring it back to life:

Anyone excited about the London derby? Personally I will be supporting Tottenham, dunno why but they've got a certain charisma.

Also West Ham's been continuously successful, with a win over Newcastle, and a lot of U21 success.

Chelsea play City in 2 weeks as well, that should be a good match.

So, opinions & discussions?
    Liked this comment? Think I'm worth checking out? Just want to stalk me on the internet? 
    Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Behance (for those who don't know, it's an art portfolio site)    

Arsenal will win in a big scoring match, both defences are suspect. Tottenham have their most creative player out injured as well as 1/2 of our defence they'll most likely lose. If Dempsey starts it will be like playing with 10 men.

Norwich score first against Man United of course. Then United go on to win comfortably against Norwich 3-1 with goals from RVP (2) and Chicharito.
    Well, it's 4-1 Arsenal right now. Tottenham scored first, then Arsenal pretty much sealed a win.

Tyler said:
    Well, it's 4-1 Arsenal right now. Tottenham scored first, then Arsenal pretty much sealed a win.
    The red card pretty much ruined the game as a contest really which is a shame because it was shaping up really well.
    Tottenham were the better team up to the red card. Dempsey has been an awful signing. Gallas should never play for Spurs again if they want to keep a clean sheet again this season.
    In other news: a West Ham match is finally actually being broadcast in America... and it's in Spanish.
    :(

Was typical Adebayor today really, do something good then something stupid. Not a fan of his, he only seems to perform when he wants a contract or a transfer.
    Snowman said:

Norwich score first against Man United of course. Then United go on to win comfortably against Norwich 3-1 with goals from RVP (2) and Chicharito.
    Well I got this prediction half right.

but why couldn't it be the other half!!!        image
    Can we all take a moment to appreciate Everton

Certainly appreciating the 3 points that Reading got off them at the weekend.
  • CandinosCandinos IcelandPosts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an Icelandic gooner, and after the last north London derby I am allowing myself a shimmer of hope that we might take a cup this season, not in the EPL though. With the return of our no.1 keeper I think we might actually get a good run going (I'd like to see any other team do as well as we did for as long as we did with their 3rd keeper between the posts)
    I make collab vlogs with 5 amazing people! Here, have a look.
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it..."  -Dr. Horrible 
    Flirt of the Last Ones
     "I am in love with Solvi, I dream about him cooking naked"  -ashsayshello
    Looks like Di Matteo got the chop after last nights result. Surely the only option is Pep Guardiola, if they bring in Rafa I will be lolling for days. 
    RDM was never wanted. The moment Chelsea went through a bad period, Roman would get rid of him, because he did not want to give him the job in the first place. Pep not being ready and him winning the CL gave him no choice. Timing is stupid too. Massive game at home to City on Sunday and still technically in the Champions League. Pissing me off as a Utd fan because it probably fucks the City game up on Sunday for them.

I'd be shocked if Pep went there no matter what they offer. Doesn't seem like the personality who would want to get himself in the deep end at a club like Chelsea where no trophies = fired. Rafa seems likely to replace but that also is a joke appointment.
    Not surprise RDM got sacked was never good enough to be Chelsea manager in the first place. Also what's with all the hate for Benitez, he did a fantastic job at Liverpool who haven't exactly been doing all that great since they fired hem.
  • I can't call myself a lifelong fan of Premier League football (only picked up three years ago) but my family and I love Arsenal. Although I haven't really had time to see many matches this year, and I was bit disappointed with Arsenals performance in the past few weeks, I have to say, the last match against Tottenham changed all of that. I feel like that win should have a huge boost to the Gunner's morale as they continue to fight their way up the tables. Making it to the top is unlikely in my opinion, but if they finish in the top 5 (or at least above Albion and Tottenham) I'm happy. 

#sttotteringhamsdayiscoming
    Elro said:
    Not surprise RDM got sacked was never good enough to be Chelsea manager in the first place. Also what's with all the hate for Benitez, he did a fantastic job at Liverpool who haven't exactly been doing all that great since they fired hem.
    The thing with Rafa is that he is a good tactician but I don't think he is a good manager. He won the CL with Liverpool in his first season then spent a lot of money on a lot of failures over the next few seasons and never moved the club forward. Lets not forget Liverpool sacked him in the end and his next job was destroying a CL winning squad at Inter Milan where he also got sacked in short order. 

Looks like Chelsea have just taken him on as a stop gap till Pep comes in in the summer. 
  • AbdullTheCoolAbdullTheCool White center, WAPosts: 165 ✭✭
    @Candinos I am an american gooner and i agree with you. i feel if we keep our form and morale up we could slip in the capital one cup ( as long as wenger stops playing our reserves ). we still look kind of shaky in defense, your right that our #1 will help but we still need some organizational in our back line. Giroud and Podolski are in good form and scoring so that's a plus hopefully they can continue their form in tonights game! COYG

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

@QED in exactly this order this was Rafas' reign at liverpool, his first season you said yourself he won the CL, his second season he won the FA cup while finishing in the top four, in his third season he made it to the CL final and another top four spot, his fourth season he only managed a top four spot in the league, his fifth season liverpool finish 2nd in the EPL 4 points behind Man U. After all that he had one bad season and was forced to sell players before he could buy and was forced out of liverpool by owners that didn't want him there anymore. how is that bad managing? ( my liverpool fan older brother told me to write this ) 

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Can't understand Chelsea firing Dimatteo at all. He's got Chelsea playing the best they've been for a while, and they've got a good chance at the League still. Liverpool fan here, lol at you guys suggesting we can win.
    Why is no one commenting lots of things are happening

Martin Luther King, Jr.

@AbdullTheCool
    I dunno, you're right so much is going on

Tyler said:
    @AbdullTheCool
    I dunno, you're right so much is going on

yeah, Arsenal just ruined my day with that loss in the cappital one cup... I had faith we could win it if we kept our heads straight... If our next match agints reading is nothing short of a win then arsenal are for sure not contending for top four and the money grubbing board need to revise their plan. I can't really give a fair reflection of performances b/c I missed the last few games but from what I hear from fans on teamtalk is that Ramsey and gervinho shouldn't ever wear an arsenal shirt and that chamahk actually did somewhat good...teams like man u are losing to bottom table teams is an upset but for arsenal it's same old song and dance...I'm starting to get sick of it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• CandinosCandinos IcelandPosts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @abdullthecool holy crap, I was mad. PIZZZAA bradford, AND Wenger put a decent side, not the usual kids that usually do the Capitol One Cup.
    I make collab vlogs with 5 amazing people! Here, have a look.
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it..."  -Dr. Horrible 
    Flirt of the Last Ones
     "I am in love with Solvi, I dream about him cooking naked"  -ashsayshello