2012-13 English Premier League/Cups Thread

Comments

• AbdullTheCoolAbdullTheCool White center, WAPosts: 165 ✭✭
    @candinos looks like we are starting to pick up the slack with hat trick santi at reading and the win at wigin. But those were both low table teams, the true test is today against Newcastle. The team gave united a hard time so they must be in form. Really important game in terms of points and testing the teams skill.

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• CandinosCandinos IcelandPosts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @candinos looks like we are starting to pick up the slack with hat trick santi at reading and the win at wigin. But those were both low table teams, the true test is today against Newcastle. The team gave united a hard time so they must be in form. Really important game in terms of points and testing the teams skill.
    HOLY. CRAP! THAT. GAME. ARE YOU FRICKIN. KIDDING. ME!! :D
    I make collab vlogs with 5 amazing people! Here, have a look.
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it..."  -Dr. Horrible 
    Flirt of the Last Ones
     "I am in love with Solvi, I dream about him cooking naked"  -ashsayshello
    edited December 2012
    @Candinos
    I KNOW!! Walcott was amazing, Giroud was amazing. The performance was amazing excluding those two goals from our shaky defense. *cough cough* Gibbs *cough*. I feel we are strong in attack but need to work on our defense. Either a CDM CB or a back up LB to pick up in January. COYG
    by AbdullTheCool

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Liverpool fan here, Was really glad when we signed Sturridge. Hoping for Ince and a centre/left back for a good January. Who we all wanting to sign/sell over Jan?
  • SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited January 2013
    I'd like Manchester United to get a central midfielder but why would we sign one of those when we have Giggs and Scholes who are never gonna retire.
    by Snowman
    edited January 2013
    i really want to keep this thread going cause i  really started getting into football towards the end of last season and am excited about this season!! anyone have thoughts on the recent run of the FA cup. i am still rooting for arsenal so we can finally end our drought but im also keeping my eye out for those low league teams like odlham and conference team Luton who took out Liverpool and Norwich!
    Also bradford city in the capital one cup final!!!!! what?!?!?
    by AbdullTheCool

Martin Luther King, Jr.

edited February 2013
    Nacho monreal looking a good signing!
    by AbdullTheCool

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I just hope we can end in the top 4 again.. 
    Flirt of the Last Ones
    Candinos said:
    I just hope we can end in the top 4 again.. 

same.. just have to be consistent.Giroud is looking pretty good right now and we have a new guy in defence. I feel its possible but its gonna be hard.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Yeah, I had higher hopes at the start of the season, but now.. I'm just hoping for champions league qualificaton
    Flirt of the Last Ones
    Hopefully we can make it Also I started following Swindon towns season and they are doing pretty good. They just recently sold one of their best players behind the managers back because of debt problems in the club but they are still 4th in league 1 with 5 points clear of first with a game in hand. I say back to back promotions if they can get through the loss of Ritchie

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• SamLoopzSamLoopz Posts: 13
    First started as an Arsenal fan because of RvP and that slowly growed into a deep hatred for Man U... I'm so emotionally confused now... I'll always like Arsenal though... and will no matter what dislike Man City and make fun of Liverpool. Some things don't change
    SamLoopz said:
    First started as an Arsenal fan because of RvP and that slowly growed into a deep hatred for Man U... I'm so emotionally confused now... I'll always like Arsenal though... and will no matter what dislike Man City and make fun of Liverpool. Some things don't change

I actually respect Liverpool. I like thier history. Other than Arsenal I also support Swindon town but not because of John and the swood but for Di Canio and his Robins!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• SnowmanSnowman Posts: 86 ✭✭
    As a Man Utd supporter I only truly dispise Leeds and Liverpool.

I realised recently that I don't hate City. I used to hate Arsenal back when they were challengers but now I kind of like them. Same with Chelsea and currently with City. I 'hate' them because I fear them as they are threats to the title. As soon as they lose steam I start to appreciate them. So I don't truely hate them but Leeds and Liverpool are hatreds that have never and will never go away.
    edited February 2013
    Horrible loss today for us gooners... I think we should have went full strength today cause we for sure wont win the champions league in this form. Even if we do beat bayern there are bigger teams ahead to face...top 4 finish looking dim. Hard to have hope for a team that is so inconsistent. I hate to say it but we need new management. We have given wenger a chance and nothing is changing. Something new needs to be brought to the team to restore its former glory.
    by AbdullTheCool

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Di canio has left swindon Noooooooooooooooo I am so gutted!!!!!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• ManavManav Posts: 2
    Predictions for the League Cup final? Think it's Swansea's to lose though would be great if Bradford won
    Manav said:
    Predictions for the League Cup final? Think it's Swansea's to lose though would be great if Bradford won

I like both teams but I'm leaning towards Bradford even tthough they took out arsenal its would be good to see a lower league team take a good cup.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

THE SEASON IS OVER... it's been a while since someone has posted on here...

Martin Luther King, Jr.

• burwellianburwellian UKPosts: 13
    The Football League is 125 years old this year...

Oh, and even though we're not Premier League (at the moment), come on Ipswich!
  • RolloRollo Operative 6081, MiniTrue Airstrip Three, OceaniaPosts: 1,902 ✭✭✭
    Everton 3 - Liverpool 3

I thought that this was going to be walkover when from the get go, Coutinho's strike 5 mins in opened Liverpool's account and then the match went nutzoid going: 
    0-1, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2, 3-3

Quite frankly Lukaku should have been showed red after his "challenge" on Suarez and the fact that he wasn't is what let Everton back into this fixture, for without restraint, it devolved into a hurt fest. Sturridge nodding home Gerard's dead ball I suppose was the saviour of a point but it was a point which never should have been needed to be saved. With Lukaku gone it should have ended 1-2 with Liverpool taking home all three points.

I am filthy that Everton got a point out of this.The dirty blue bastards should have got nothing.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

I've written four books - you might like to buy them: Linky - Doobly Doo
  • RufflemuffinRufflemuffin GermanyPosts: 14
    edited November 2013
    It was Mirallas who fouled Suarez and should have been sent off, not Lukaku.
    Three points for Liverpool would have been amazing but even though it wasn't fair every now and then, Everton played quite well. This match just showed us once again that when it comes to a derby, it does not matter which position you have in the table.

We will never know how it would have ended if the referee had made the right desicion.. But, nevertheless, it was a real Merseysidederby, very emotional, very thrilling, my heart stopped like about 5 times. Mignolet did a brilliant job, Suarez and Sturridge got their goals and are now both second in the race for the title of the topscorer.

Liverpool deserved the win, but unfortunately being the better and fairer team is not always enough, especially when you give away such a golden chance like Joe Allen did.

by Rufflemuffin
    Hull 3 - Liverpool 1

ARGH! 'pool can't be dropping points against the gunners this early in the season, six points down is not impossible to regain but still. I'm annoyed.

On the plus side, Man United for a few brief hours were ten points adrift of Arsenal; that means... SEASON OVER for them. Ten points is a magical number which if you happen to fall foul of, it's like wandering into the green mists of Narnia; never to be seen again.
    "I speak an infinite deal of nothing and I am not bound to please thee with my answers."

Manchester United were 12 points clear at the start of March in 1997/98. Arsenal won the title.

Newcastle United were 12 points clear in January 1996. Despite then-Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan declaring he'd "love it if we beat them", Manchester United did indeed beat them to the title...

10 points at this stage of the season is not impossible to overturn.
    Liverpool FIVE?! - Spurs 0

I was going to watch the replay on telly tonight but I accidentally found out the score. Five?! I think that this (if I do the maths right) should be Liverpool back into second and only 2 points adrift of Arsenal. I also think that that should be circa 39 goals, which would mean the second best attacking figures in the league.

Still, I've seen Liverpool seasons collapse from here... again and again and again...

Liverpool FIVE?! - Stoke 3

Here's the thing though, two of Stoke's goals were scored by Charlie Adam and Peter Crouch; neither of whom should have been allowed to go. Selling off potential strikepower is what set Liverpool up for so many crapulous seasons over the past few years. 

Liverpool 2 - Villa 2

WAAH! 

Commentary was very quick to point out that Liverpool's unbeaten run now extends to nine games but that's not the point is it. During that unbeaten run, 'pool have slipped to 8 points behind the league leaders and if they lose one more whilst others collect 3 points then it's season officially over.

Liverpool are perilously close to having yet another league title slip out of view. Okay, I hear people say that they can still make Europe... HANG Europe, dangnabbitrooney... almost a quarter of a century without a league title. This is untenable.

You're only 8 points behind...

And heh, we've not won the top flight title in half a century. At least you're competing.
    Liverpool travel to Ashburton Grove to play Arsenal in their most critical league fixture to date, then to Fulham and then back to Ashburton Grove to play Arsenal in the FA Cup.
    I hope Arsenal implodes and falls into a tactical heap and surrenders in both of those fixtures.

The league currently stands thus:
    1. Arsenal - 55
    2. Man City - 53
    3. Chelsea - 53
    4. Liverpool - 47
    All have played 24 matches and I'm going to discard Man City and Chelsea as irrelevant to this discussion, and disregard goal difference as well.

Assuming Arsenal wins. They pick up 3 points and Liverpool do not. The league table after 25 matches reads:
    1. Arsenal - 58
    4. Liverpool - 47
    Arsenal would then be 11 points clear of Liverpool, and Liverpool's season is as good as dead for the 24th year in succession.

If Liverpool wins though, they pick up 3 points and Arsenal do not.  The league table after 25 matches reads:
    1. Arsenal - 55
    4. Liverpool - 50
    Instead of Arsenal being 11 points clear of Liverpool, they would only be 5 points clear. Since 11 - 5 = 6, then it becomes obvious as to why such things are called six-point fixtures.

Spurs fans must be wondering what they have to do to take a trick against Liverpool. Five-nil earlier this season and now four-nil at the return fixture.

Also, Liverpool will need to continue this form, as two of their last six fixtures are against Man City and Chelsea. This late in the season, I'm suffering a great deal of neuroticism, as usually I would have written off Liverpool's title hopes by now. 
    That last Saturday in May might well be as stressful as 26 May 1989.