The "I Listen To Weird Music" Thread

jacquelinegavsjacquelinegavs Central MassachusettsPosts: 2
I really dig a lot of off beat music. My iPod is stuffed with classical albums, movie scores, jazzy crooners, and artists from virtually every 20th century era. My all time hands-down favorite artists are Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Doris Day, and Billie Holiday <3

I don't get a lot of weird looks when I tell people this, but I've yet to find a kindred soul when it comes to my appreciation for my vintage tastes.

Comment your "odd" or "far out" music tastes, and find someone who you can chat with about your favorite tunes!:D

Comments

• RialVestroRialVestro Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭
    Weird Al... that counts right? He has Weird literally in his name. Most of the time I don't even know the song he's making a parody of.
    Ni, peng, nee-wom! Ecky, ecky, ecky, pakang, zoom-ping! Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong!
  • SchuzzlebuttSchuzzlebutt Posts: 22
    I listen to stuff that's all over the place, I like a lot of oldies, my favorites are probably Al Bowly and Edith Piaf as far as oldies go. But I've definitely got some weird music tastes, I've been listening to some Ligeti lately and music is simultaneously beautiful and terrifying.
  • goldeneaglegoldeneagle Posts: 350 ✭✭
    @RialVestro I love Weird Al. His songs are awesome.

I've been listening to a lot of instrumental and electronic music lately: Bond, Escala, William Joseph, Lindsey Stirling, The Piano Guys, I Am Robot and Proud, Detektivbyran. I'm picky about vocals for some reason; I'm much more inclined to like a track if it's just instruments, though when I find a singer I like I'll tend to love all of their stuff (e.g., Steam Powered Giraffe, Jonsi).
  • im1000applesim1000apples Posts: 16
  • johnhmaloneyjohnhmaloney Whiting, NJPosts: 300 ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of progressive rock (Rush, Spock's Beard, Marillion, King Crimson etc.). For me, it doesn't get much better than a 20+ minute song that runs through 4-5 different time signatures and 3-4 different keys. 

• nerdgeneralnerdgeneral Posts: 73

I love old (60's, 70's, 80's) music. To bring this into perspective, I'm in my teens. My mom hooked me on a band called Curve, which is really good, but weird. In between Bush and The Cult on my iPod, I have CCR.

• claraoswaldclaraoswald Hogwarts Posts: 120 ✭✭
    Three words; Steam Powered Giraffe. 
    one of my favorite bands 

_.•__WE THINK TOO MUCH AND FEEL TOO LITTLE. 

(_______. + ‘ ¯ ‘ +.

_‘ + . _ .  ‘ ____•._))

• ElizabethElizabeth Posts: 368 ✭✭
    Weird things about the music I listen to:
    1. Internationality: I like French music from classics like Èdith Piaf and Charles Trenet to more modern such as Carla Bruni and Couer de Pirate. I also am into the Quebecois indie scene right now. I really like Icelandic artists like Òlafur Arnalds, Àsgeir Traustì, and more commonly known, Sigur Ròs. I have enjoyed listening African artists like Vieux Farka Touré and Toumani Diabate. I'm beginning to explore Brazilian and Belgian music.
    2. Age: I like old music. 1910-1940. Especially ragtime, hot jazz, and swing.
    3. Range: I don't limit myself to just a few genres and time periods. I don't listen to ska-polka or American gangster rap, but that's about it. Jazz standards and newer folk are my fallback genres when I'm too tired to decide, but I listen to Baroque and Romantic classical, Electropop, Ska-punk, dark Cabaret, Neoclassical and proggy metal, Opera, Gothic alt-country, Progrock, Nufolk, Irish rap, and really anything in between.
  • ChrisEChrisE ChicagoPosts: 3
    Im not sure if I would call it weird... But something a lot of people I know are not familiar with this kind of music
    Its a folk metal band 
    They play anything from songs that are mostly flute solos and melodic guitars to plain heavier music and a mix of it all...

:) 

ChrisE
  • LukeeeysLukeeeys York, EnglandPosts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭
    @Elizabeth I LOVE SIGUR ROS! :D haha
    Resident 'Smarty Mcbrainperson' of Nerdfighteria. 
    Check out my website, please? http://www.lukesheard.com
  • natimdpnatimdp Mar del Plata, ArgentinaPosts: 14
    Gogol Bordello could be classified as weird, and a reaaaaaally like some songs of them. And Weird Al, of course!
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it counts as "weird," necessarily, but I really like genuinely talented kid bands like Still Pending and I also LOVE good a cappella groups.  I've been known to get caught in YouTube loops of college a cappella groups covering Disney or contemporary rock songs.  Here's one of my favorites:

Also, I am a non-Jewish (non-theistic) Maccabeats fan.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    Does Streetlight Manifesto count? I also like this song called Burning Land by Mikahh (I hope I spelled that right) that I think qualifies as weird.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • Lavache_BeadsmanLavache_Beadsman New YorkPosts: 661 ✭✭✭
    Lately I've been really into folk punk, which a lot of people just don't get. But for anyone who hasn't heard Johnny Hobo & The Freight Trains, I strongly urge you to give them a listen.
  • undumbblondeundumbblonde CanadaPosts: 555 ✭✭✭
    My taste in music is so weird even I don't understand it. I'm really into punk stuff plus instrumental movies soundtracks but also those hipster tunes, french music of all things and then Disney of course.

My current obsession is a band called Wild Party who sound sorta like The Killers. They're really nifty.
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    My taste in music is so weird even I don't understand it. I'm really into punk stuff plus instrumental movies soundtracks but also those hipster tunes, french music of all things ...
    Same here. My current obsession are The Vitamin String Quartet, who do violin/viola covers of just about everything. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• JowoJowo SwitzerlandPosts: 4
    ChrisE said:
    Im not sure if I would call it weird... But something a lot of people I know are not familiar with this kind of music
    Its a folk metal band 
    They play anything from songs that are mostly flute solos and melodic guitars to plain heavier music and a mix of it all...

I just put my Eluveitie t-shirt in the wash today ^^ I was at their show in April and missed another one in the Bierhübeli in Bern, Switzerland a couple weeks ago. Yeees it's nice living in the country such an awesome band comes from :D
    I'm also going to go to an Amon Amarth concert in November, and saw Wintersun last year. And this year I missed Insomnium, Turisas, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Tyr, and many more awesome bands all beacause of one motorcycle accident. But I'll catch them next year. Sucks to live in the US, you miss all the good metal ;)

And now my own contribution: Swedish Jazz Hip-Hop by Movits! Awesome stuff.
  • Astrid_PotterAstrid_Potter WashingtonPosts: 8
    I find it hard to explain the type of music I enjoy to people because I like things that a lot of people I know haven't heard about such as wizard rock bands, Chameleon Circuit, the sound track to Doctor Horribles sing along blog, the soundtrack to Wicked, The Double Clicks, and Hank Green, but I also like somewhat more mainstream things like Jack Johnson, Sara Bareilles, Civil Wars, and Lorde. 
    he/him or she/her
  • ThadiousJamesThadiousJames Richland, WashingtonPosts: 2
    I listen to LOTS of stuff. For example I'm listening to Walk Off the Earth right now, but bands next in my queue include Beethoven, AFI, NOFX, Andrew W.K., Bright Eyes, Tom Waits, and Dropdead. Some of my favorite Genres include Noise/experimental, grindcore, punk, ska, folk, folk punk, bluegrass, jazz, blues, big band music, rap, hip-hop, a few pop artists, electronic music, dubstep, rave music, and classical. :D I wanna find more music buddies with weird tastes in music!!
  • drumbrodrumbro Midnight Blue Rickenbacker 330 OKCPosts: 195 ✭✭✭
    I really dig classical Indian music. Like, sitars and such. 

Most people reference that by saying that I like "high" music

I also dig really really long prog rock songs. Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull is a masterpiece 

"Rock and roll will never die because Neil Young said so."
  • 1969tasmanseries1969tasmanseries Posts: 16
    edited November 2013
    drumbro said:
    I really dig classical Indian music. Like, sitars and such. 

Most people reference that by saying that I like "high" music

I also dig really really long prog rock songs. Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull is a masterpiece 

I really like Indian classical as well, but I'm not really into it - just for study music etc.

If you like prog, check out Fluffhead/Fluff's Travels by Phish. Fluffhead is a lyrically odd 3-minute pop/rock. The Fluff's Travel's that follows is largely instrumental ~12 minute ball of classical-inspired prog. Link:
    Phish also has a song called 'You Enjoy Myself which has a largely variable length, because they all feature extended improvisation and there are several hundred live versions. It features the guitarist and bassist jumping in tandem on trampoline.

Other than those, I'm a big fan of Youngblood Brass Band's 'riot jazz,' or rap-jazz. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8R-mj-W5Y
    by 1969tasmanseries
  • MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭

avant garde arpeggiated saxaphone: Colin Stetson
    polyrhythmic acoustic techno: Dawn of Midi & Brandt Brauer Frick
    vocal looping & layering: Beardyman, Tim Exile, Julianna Barwick
    future soul: James Blake, Raffertie, Jessy Lanza

I could go on forever. "weird music" is kind of my specialty :D

"The only way out is through." -Frost
  • SkylarkSkylark Posts: 16
    I listen to a lot of folk/celtic music, with some rock or punk crossed in. Loreena McKennit, Great Big Sea, Flogging Molly, Celtic Thunder. While not really "weird" in the pure sense, my taste is certainly weird among people of my demographic. Also, trucking songs. I love me some tunes for the open road...
  • I don't listen to weird music, really, but I have weird music taste... Does that count?
    Like, if I put my iPod on shuffle the first three songs are: 
    1. Colder Weather by Zac Brown Band (country)
    2. Car Radio by twenty one pilots (they're like emo folk techno rap punk perfection music idk)
    3. Antivist by Bring Me the Horizon (metalcore) 
    .....yeah.....
    "The world is not a wish-granting factory." -TFiOS
  • natalierosenatalierose Rhode IslandPosts: 9
    I'm into songs from Broadway musicals. I don't know if you'd consider that "weird"...
  • @Metabeard

Exactly how does one create "acoustic techno?" :)
  • MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭

@1969tasmanseries They're music has the techno style of minimalism (not speaking in the broad terms of electronica music, but in the specific genre of techno), and sharp, crisp rhythms and melodies. Most techno was made with TB-808s and TB-909s, with minimal synths. These guys are making music that similar to it, except with acoustic instruments like palm-muting a grand piano (although BBF do use Moogs). I was talking about it with my brother just the other day. Like, it's music that could've been made 200 years ago, but no one would have ever thought to make it like this until computers came around. Electronic music has allowed people's understandings of style and aesthetics to open up other avenues of music that hadn't previously been explored. Check it out and tell me if you agree!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcY5czIND-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR8KGam3m9Q

"The only way out is through." -Frost
  • MilseMelkMilseMelk Posts: 7
    Jowo said:
    ChrisE said:
    Its a folk metal band 

I just put my Eluveitie t-shirt in the wash today ^^ I was at their show in April and missed another one in the Bierhübeli in Bern, Switzerland a couple weeks ago. Yeees it's nice living in the country such an awesome band comes from :D
    I'm also going to go to an Amon Amarth concert in November, and saw Wintersun last year. And this year I missed Insomnium, Turisas, Finntroll, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Tyr, and many more awesome bands all beacause of one motorcycle accident. But I'll catch them next year. Sucks to live in the US, you miss all the good metal ;)
    I bought Helvetios a week ago :)

Skylark said:
    I listen to a lot of folk/celtic music, with some rock or punk crossed in. Loreena McKennit, Great Big Sea, Flogging Molly, Celtic Thunder. While not really "weird" in the pure sense, my taste is certainly weird among people of my demographic. Also, trucking songs. I love me some tunes for the open road...
    Folk :D I basically like all kinds of folk music. And some punk. But mostly folk. That includes folk metal and folk punk, by the way.
    Omnia, Faun, Valravn, Heidevolk, Laïs, Flogging Molly, Anyone? Also does anybody know balfolk? Like Orfeo, Kelten Zonder Grenzen and such.
  • NothingButNerdyNothingButNerdy wherever I want to bePosts: 53

Lately I've been binge listening to Twenties jazz, especially Gershwin... And even though it's not Twenties, I found this the other day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbL9vr4Q2LU @undumbblonde I love French music so much and @Elizabeth I love Coeur de pirate!!! I love Ane Brun and Soley.Regina Spektor. She seems to be becoming a lot more popular, though.

Basically, I love listening to all music except some rap and some pop. Play it and I'll listen, and I'll probably like it. The music I most listen to is Alternative, though that's a wide range of things, Indie Rock and Indie Pop, Alternative Rock, and Soundtrack. Most recent obsession is the music of Sherlock. 

At a high class party Churchill famously asked a socialite if she would sleep with him for five million pounds. Blushing, she replied that the terms would have to be discussed. He then asked her if she would sleep with him for 5 pounds. "Mr Churchill! What kind of woman do you think I am!" she replied. "Madam, we’ve already established what kind of woman you are. Now we are haggling about the price."