TFiOS Becoming Mainstream

Comments

• kelsnotchelskelsnotchels Posts: 104 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Leon (AS IS, LIKE, ALWAYS THE CASE IN MY LIFE... LEON IS THE BEST) and I guess one of the reasons I don't get too frustrated with new people joining in on things I like is that it doesn't inhibit, in anyway, my own enjoyment of the thing. 

Like, I would NEVER have written a novel if not for reading TFIOS. It changed my life. 

New readers who get out of it other things do not make much of an impact on my own relationship with the book. :D

My writing blog  |  My first VLOGTwitter

My book DAMSEL DISTRESSED has been bought by @SHContemp and is being published (with a companion album of original music by @weddingdayrain)  in Oct. 2014!

I vlogged about the whole ordeal right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHHqctmrnI

• nhunt9nhunt9 Mogadore, OhioPosts: 2
    I would argue that TFiOS is already "mainstream." I mean, how many weeks, nay, months, did it spend at the top of the NYTimes bestsellers list? It's a great book, and whether or not every single person "gets it," it is a FICTIONAL NOVEL, and up for interpretation just like any other book. I don't see every single fan of The Great Gatsby going up in arms that it's popular. Hell there's a movie being made about it. They don't make movies about underground books. They make movies out of books that are popular worldwide. Nobody has the right to say that anyone should not be allowed to read any book. I don't know if anybody has realized this yet, but literally millions of copies of that book have been sold. So millions of people have read it. And hundreds of thousands more have surely heard of it. So this whole idea that TFiOS is some treasure that must be kept intact by hiding it from the masses is a big illusion, because the masses have already found it, and love it, and are only going to make it bigger. Besides, the bigger TFiOS gets, or the Vlogbrothers get, or Nerdfighteria gets, is only better for everyone. Ultimately, our job as nerdfighters is to decrease worldsuck, right? And if TFiOS gains better footing and gets better publicized with the making of this movie and the growing popularity of the brothers Green, then the bigger our influence is and the better we are serving this great green planet. And I don't see anything wrong with that.
    Nicholas Andrew
  • readysetrosemaryreadysetrosemary Nebraska, USAPosts: 3
    I don't think that other people discovering TFiOS has to impact our enjoyment of it. It's not going to become less special to us individually just because more people are reading it. This whole discussion reminds me of something Hazel thinks right before she tells Gus about AIA, about how some books fill you with this "weird evangelical zeal" and there are others that if you share them, it just feels like betrayal. I just think it's interesting how TFiOS fits on that spectrum for all of us. Personally, I'm excited that it's being discovered. TFiOS changed me in a lot of ways. I think it's an important story. I want people to read it. I know it won't mean the same thing to them, and that some people won't appreciate it in a way that I think they should, but that's okay. It doesn't change my experience with the book. They just miss out. And sometimes, it will impact others profoundly. We all have different experiences with books because we're all different people.
    Per aspera ad astra.
  • I hate the fact that it does, but it bothers me a little too. Like, I'm so incredibly happy that John Green's books are growing rapidly in popularity, because I definitely think that everyone should read this book, because it blew me away, but when I heard two people in my Spanish class who are not the nicest people, shall we say, talking about how much they loved it, I got a little annoyed. I felt like, "They couldn't understand a story as deep as this when all they do in class is gossip and talk about parties and drinking! This is an outrage! They don't even know anything about John Green! Bah!"
    I have to understand, though, that this book is not only mine, and it did not only affect me. So yes, it sometimes irks me, but for the most part, I know it is good for the book to become more "mainstream", and I hope even MORE people delve into the world of TFIOS, and maybe even Nerdfighteria :D
     And who knows, maybe it'll change those people in my Spanish class for the better, which I am all for. :)
  • rainstormrainstorm PhilippinesPosts: 6
    It does bother me a bit, too, but I guess I should also be happy about it. If TFiOS wasn't read by so many people then it probably wouldn't be put into a movie, right? :)
    "My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations."
    --> The Fault in Our Stars, John Green.

"I have eyes and I don't know where to put them!"
    --> John Green.

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    I hate the fact that it does, but it bothers me a little too. Like, I'm so incredibly happy that John Green's books are growing rapidly in popularity, because I definitely think that everyone should read this book, because it blew me away, but when I heard two people in my Spanish class who are not the nicest people, shall we say, talking about how much they loved it, I got a little annoyed. I felt like, "They couldn't understand a story as deep as this when all they do in class is gossip and talk about parties and drinking! This is an outrage! They don't even know anything about John Green! Bah!"
    I have to understand, though, that this book is not only mine, and it did not only affect me. So yes, it sometimes irks me, but for the most part, I know it is good for the book to become more "mainstream", and I hope even MORE people delve into the world of TFIOS, and maybe even Nerdfighteria :D
     And who knows, maybe it'll change those people in my Spanish class for the better, which I am all for. :)
    That is basically what I wanted to say, but better written. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• WingspanTNRWingspanTNR Iowa, USPosts: 116 ✭✭
    I think it's alright because when it's mainstream, more people stand to become Nerdfighters which allows for greater opportunity for them to act in the world in charities and such and if more people would do that the world would suck less and years down the line people will look back and say "Largely thank to TFiOS, Nerdfighter thought came into the modern age and the people, moved by its ideas, acted, and the world was invariably changed for the better."
  • RoxieFlashRoxieFlash Dalton, GAPosts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I haven't read The Fault in Our Stars yet, but the closest analog I have is when the new Star Trek came out; I was a bit annoyed by the influx of fans at first, but isn't it wonderful to have more people to talk about the thing you like with? 
    by RoxieFlash
    Things Em Says - Blog - Youtube Channel
  • CatherineCatherine Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    There is a little bit of possessiveness I feel when I want people to be as passionate about the book as I am, and when they are just like, "yeah it was good" it makes me sad.
    But I also think the key is that there are infinite levels of engagement and relationship that you can have with a book, with an author, and with this community.
    so there's the reader who "reads and runs" as JD Salinger said
    and then people who re read a book or like quotes from it
    or people who start following an author's work or social media presence, etc.
    And all of those can coexist-people don't have to have the same relationship. It's fun to have people with the same relationship to some work as you, but there are lots of levels.
    And honestly, the good work that I've seen the book do in helping people grapple with death and reevaluate how they think about sick kids and the really destructive messages we sometimes tell in our culture about life and death is totally totally worth it to me.
  • veronicaveronica AustraliaPosts: 3
    I think that tfios deserves as much attention as possible. It is an amazing book and it's great that so many people from different backgrounds and from different interest groups enjoy it so much, which they should because it is a fantastic book. John wrote tfios and he's one of us so we should appreciate the wide readership as much as I'm sure he does. I understand it gets frustrating when people ignore you for so long about its wonderfulness, a girl in my year said multiple snarky comments to me after she overheard me talking about John, Hank and nerdfighteria now she loves tfios and some of John's other books which I think is wonderful. Just remember that the story, its significance, worth or its wonderful author wont ever change just because the audience does! :D
  • ZoeySky08ZoeySky08 Posts: 2
    I think that as long as everyone takes the time to truly understand the book and/or the movie I'm totally fine that it's going "mainstream". My problem only arrives when people just pass over the meaning and read it/see the movie just because it's the cool thing to do. And I guess I don't even have a problem with that. That's there loss....
  • MoustachioMoustachio Under the Desk!Posts: 10

Sounds like tfios is AIA to you ^_^
    ❝Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books like An Imperial Affliction, which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like betrayal.❞

John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
    (http://ivym105.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/❝sometimes-you/)

Sounds like tfios is AIA to you. (Which isn't a bad thing, mind!) Granted, i dont think it feels like betrayal but more like it's becoming big and so kind of floats away from you? If not to you then to I, but I dont mind it because all i have to do is pick it up and it becomes mine only. That way it isnt big and wonderful but small and special. So no, it doesn't bother me at all, it means that i can discuss it and ponder about it with more people. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    AS LONG AS THERE IS CAKE, IT IS SAFE.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Never ever allow yourself to feel. Feelings kill."
    “I regret that it takes a life to learn how to live.”
    “Why do beautiful songs make you sad?' 'Because they aren't true.' 'Never?' 'Nothing is beautiful and true.” “There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.”
    “My life story is the story of everyone I've ever met.”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • geekacrossthestreetgeekacrossthestreet Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    It bothers me because there are all these people who are now and will discover Nerdfighteria which will make me really uncomfortable because, as in the video that John posted on Tuesday, it will be harder for the new, expanded Nerdfighteria to maintain its focus and avoid becoming a tool for the movie studio that developed the TFiOS movie and all of the companies that will probably have licensed merchandise to sell tickets and that merchandise. I have faith, however, that John and Hank will continue their track record of remaining true to the fans and to themselves. 
  • RiverSethRiverSeth EnglandPosts: 448 ✭✭
    What i love about it going mainstream is this:
    Working in  a bookstore, you get used to the names of authors people all know about, and everyone coming in for those books, tfios used to be a Pick Off The Shelf hand sale (where i had to stand and reccomend it and why people should read it). It used to actually be really hard to sell, because people didnt know John, or anything else he had written.
    But then, gently, people started coming in and saying 'Ive heard about this author Or 'My .... has read this and i want to see why they loved it' and we started selling him daily.
    I mean, this year, weve had 4 different local book groups come in talking about the book.
    It like, makes me really happy seeing my favourite author, and a book that lies in my heart being talked about more, and passed around and making other people fall in love with it...

But yeah, i can see the other side as well. Mainstream may make the Nerdfighter community bigger, and that may have a negative effect.
    BUT it may also have a positive effect. more people helping decrease world suck- isnt that what we want as well?

Besides, not every tfios lover will becoming a nerdfighter. some may read the books, love john but never do anything else...

To read my book reviews, click the link!

My Blog   My Youtube

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

• dftbamydftbamy United StatesPosts: 1
    It never really /bothered/ me that the fault in our stars got popular but at first it was a little weird hearing people talk about John as "the guy who wrote that book about cancer" without mentioning anything about nerdfighteria. A ton of people at my school read tfios for this event we had last year so a lot of them started quoting/analyzing it. That was sorta annoying but at the same time really cool bc I got to witness how famous John was actually getting. I wish that more people connected tfios to nerdfighteria but it's also really awesome that it's big enough to stand on its own.
  • It bugs me a bit. I am happy at the success it has found and it is great that the book has so many fans. The thing is, there are so manny TFIOS fans that aren't Nerdfighters and don't watch vlogbrothers. That is what bothers me.
  • LimpingImpLimpingImp Posts: 6
    I think it's a good thing that it's becoming mainstream, it's a great book and there's no reason why other people shouldn't enjoy it as much as I did when I read it.

On an unrelated note, I can't even read the book anymore. Every time I try to pick it up I get extremely bothered by the sadness of it, and I can't read it anymore. It's the only book that has affected me by making me feel genuine emotion about fictional characters to where I just want to forget about it. I guess that's a good thing because it means John did his job right haha
  • oceanpotionoceanpotion EnglandPosts: 347 ✭✭✭
    I am a bit concerened about the popularity of TFIOS because of what happened with the hunger games.
    I read the hunger games before it was made into a film and i loved it. A friend and i read it and thought that it was great. We tried to get other people to read it and even made a display about it in the library (although this was later), but no one payed much attention. Then when the film came out it was all anyone was talking about and some of the people who hadn't read it when i recomended it to them before were telling me how great it was (even though many of them had not read the book). I made me feel a bit annoyed that the only reason people liked it was because it was famous. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to John's books although i do want him to become famous.

• ashimmer13ashimmer13 Seattle, WA, USAPosts: 109 ✭✭
    It's already been stated pretty well but I think it is important that Nerdfighteria continue to feel pride for TFIOS and the deep connections to the novel itself will stay established with the release of the film.  Just because a bunch of other people are being introduced to the wonderfulness that is Hazel Grace Lancaster and Augustus Waters doesn't mean that their story is less important or wonderful.  

And actually, when I was traveling to the ALA Midwinter meeting in Seattle in January, I was really excited that there were several people I easily identified as librarians or affiliated folks traveling to the conference because they were reading TFIOS in the airport.  (I'm sure many of you know this, but in case you didn't, apart from the TFIOS audiobook winning an award, there were talks of it winning the Printz- as LfA did -). Although TFIOS did not win the 'Excellence in Young Adult Literature' award, librarians were reading it.  And continued to spread the buzz about what a wonderful book it is. 

Western media culture is very sensationalist and buzz is important.  I think that because John has been so involved in the filming process and documenting that via social media, it will be impossible to separate the movie from the book in the media.  The same can't be said for the Hunger Games.  I'm, not saying Suzanne Collins did anything wrong, but the buzz during filming and production was totally different. And. That. Is. Okay. 
    I'm incredibly excited for this and I'm also excited to see Shailene Woodley portray characters from two books I care about deeply in the time frame. Should be mighty interesting! 
    "Every artist was first an amateur." 
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    "It is well to have as many holds upon happiness as possible"
    -Henry Tilney, Chapter 22 of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey
  • newbeatle1704newbeatle1704 RigaPosts: 33
    I am truly happy about TFIOS getting "mainstream". It's a good story and it should be read. When I first saw that finally someone in Latvia thought that it would be a good idea to sell this book in the bookstores I jumped up and down, because now there will be more people in my country that will read this amazing story.
    A few days ago I found out it will be translated in Latvian (around Christmas I think), which means that even more people will read it. The cover will look like this ;) :

.image
  • thatcarlymaythatcarlymay TexasPosts: 4
    I'm fine with it because people get it. It's not misinterpreted like some of John's other books are. People see the message John was trying to get across and I think that's wonderful. If people were using it to romanticize illness or something ridiculous like that, I'd be angry. But they're not. So it's fine.
  • thismakaylathismakayla Posts: 2
    It bothers me a bit because I have seen people skim right over all the incredibly mind bending insights on life and focus only on the love story. I have seen just as many people pick it up and think about it deeply and enjoy it for all the reasons, though, too. Win some, lose some, i guess.

My friends are celebrating the transformation of TFiOS, on June 5 before we see the movie. We are reading our favorite passages and lighting paper lanterns, like from Tangled, to celebrate the book. A bit cheesy but still.  We will still love it even after the movie comes out and we cant even pretend it's a wonderful secret anymore. But it won't be the same.
  • LyriconLyricon Posts: 1
    Some people above have been talking about hipsters in a negative light, and I don't really see why. What's so bad about hipsters? I wouldn't say they necessarily think they're above everyone  else. Honestly, whenever something goes mainstream, I'm tempted to say that I was a fan/watcher/reader/player of said thing before it was cool. So, why is that frowned upon, exactly?
  • It only bugs me when people read it and don't take anything from it. Like I know plenty of people who just marked it off as a typical love story, even though it is so much more. I think the reason it is the most famous is because it is the easiest to skim the surface of. So I guess I feel like if you can't read critically you shouldn't read it, even though that is selfish too...
  • onaveryislandonaveryisland Illinois, U.S. Posts: 7
    edited November 2013
    Tfios deserves all the recognition it's getting! :) I remember John talking about how part of why books are so special to people was how everyone gets to have their own interpretation of the story and its theme, allegory, etc...there's not going to be any kind of Sunday brunch 'let's romanticize and butcher this YA novel' cult thing that people seem to be worried about. I think Nerdfighteria can get more elitist and closed-minded towards hipsters or whoever than they ever would towards Nerdfighteria or anything else...
    by onaveryisland
    "the only way out is through." -robert frost 
  • I kind of don't like it because I get weird looks when I ask people if they're Nerdfighters, but it enables me to find people with common interests which is cool. :)

• meganpdmeganpd Posts: 6
    What bothers me is that people... Who have only read TFIOS and none of the other books.. Or seen any of their videos.. Calls themselves a nerdfighter. And that their like the biggest fans of John. I also hate when they quote the book with out understanding it. I'm totally open to new nerdfighters as long as they like become more involved and step away from just TFIOS.. Cause I know that's going to happen once the movie comes out. Except for a lot of people would become fans of just the movie and not even bother with the book... And that's like 3x worse
  • EmilyGEmilyG Posts: 3
    I read TFiOS before most of the people i know did and i formed a very strong connection to it- similar to Hazel's connection with AIA. I felt like it was mine in a way and i found real comfort in that. I'm happy for John getting publicity and all i just feel like wit every new person who reads it the story and characters become a little less special to me. NOT THAT THEY'RE NOT SPECIAL! they mean the world to me but there is a certain specialness about being the only one who knows about something you know? 
  • My twenty-five cents:

I couldn't care less. Like, if I cared less, I would have negative caring, and you'd have to plot me on a coordinated plane and find my slope and an equation of a line parallel to me. But I digress.
    You see, something's popularity should not influence your opinion of the thing. Just because different types of people are reading TFiOS and interpreting it in a different way, makes the text itself no different. That's what books are for, right? To take you places and then make you think about the journeys you've been on? It's a good thing that the book is getting exposed to a wider audience, because it means it gets read and interpreted and expanded upon and re-evaluated by all sorts of different people with all sorts of different mindsets. Your opinion will be different from the people in the media's, people in different countries, people of different age groups, etc. Accept, relate to, understand everyone's thoughts and feelings. Like how, to me, TFiOS isn't actually the greatest book in the world.

Something "going mainstream" means more and more reflecting on it. It's a good thing and should be celebrated and cherished.
  • ArdentWildfireArdentWildfire United StatesPosts: 21
    There will always be people who read it and don't think about it complexly, but that doesn't change how I read it, or any other book for that matter. The opinion of strangers shouldn't affect how we think of anything. I don't feel like it's a bad thing that new people are reading the book, it could lead to more people discovering this amazing community. And even if it doesn't, maybe some teenager will honestly like the book and remember its message years later when they're going through something bad in their life. 
    LET'S DO THE TIME WARP AGAIN!!!!!