TFiOS Becoming Mainstream

Comments

• It premiered on the best-seller list, didn't it? It stayed there forever, at any rate. It's been mainstream. I don't think it was ever, like, tributary, or whatever the word for not-mainstream is. To which I say: excellent. Sounds like young people and adults who read ya are continuing to be readers who're willing to emotionally and intellectually engage, which can only be a good thing.
  • TitusMoodyTitusMoody MainePosts: 90 ✭✭
    Well, I can say that its popularity personally benefited me. I probably wouldn't know John Green as anyone besides "that guy who does good quality history videos online," which is how I first found him. Subsequently realizing that he also wrote this book that I'd been hearing a lot about piqued my interest enough to check out more about him, and yeah, then I found this community. Which is good. To say the least.
    So, for all of 2014, my brother, sister, and I are doing a Brotherhood 2.0 inspired videoblogging thing! Check it out, we'd love to have you there: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMEaDCjIItXBEFs-gDGGn2Q
  • Natle13Natle13 Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I don't really think  whether being "mainstream" is important. Like I have a bunch of friends who are considered hipsters, and they don't really get it either. As long as people enjoy what ever the thing is, I don't see a problem with it. It's nice to see that so many people are enjoying Mr. Green's novels :) 
    by Natle13
  • notadollophead68notadollophead68 Fictional UniversesPosts: 251 ✭✭

I argee with the people above who say that TFiOS is like AIA for them. However, I must say that evangelizing this book shares ideas that need to be shared and I am sort of happy that the movie is coming out. Also, the cast is just awesome.

“I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone's heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark.” -Raymond Carver

• lessthanbutterflieslessthanbutterflies Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    I feel like maybe we need to remember that we care about John and his success and want his books to be successful.  I feel like nobody ever actually wanted it to just be this little indie success that only a small group knew about.  We did want it to be a success.  It doesn't bother me at all that his TFIOS has become mainstream or really popular.  I'm kind of proud still to be a part of it :)
    Let me learn from where I have been
  • SeaCowKieraSeaCowKiera Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    First, I actually didn't (don't?) like TFiOS. It's not my favorite book ever, I wouldn't reread it. But I would support it, because the creator is one that I support. And that concept is one I think we're forgetting. 

To explain: John and Hank would not be the people they are without their Youtube community. In my opinion, I've read better than John's books. A lot, and plenty of it. But it's not really that the book is so good, it's that there was that emotional connection with the author and the consumer. Think about it: A lot of the nerdfighter community watch John excitedly talk about TFiOS. You all were there, watching the magic unfold, cheering him on--proud of someone you got to know, proud of this magical, amazing thing. It's beautiful, really. And you love it not just because you think it's amazing, but because deep down, you know you helped make that beautiful, magical thing happen. Because you were the cheerleader, you were there to help John, if not during TFiOS, but through the years before. You're his supporters. You're the ones ranking in the pageviews, week after week, giving him his pay check not through novels--but through support. Willing, beautiful support. 

But YOU, Nerdfighteria, put TFiOS on the bestseller list. You told people, you--proudly--bought it, you Instagramed it, you Tweeted, you posted tumblr posts with shipping and everything. You made this a hit. 

And now, outsiders are coming in. Outsiders who had no idea of the time, or struggle, or anything. Most who will forget about this book, move on, leaving John and Hank and Nerdfighteria and DFTBA in the dust. And it's hard, knowing those are the people who are coming in, who won't stay. Who have no idea of the good, the work, the effort. Who will take part in what's "cool" and move on. Invaders, posers, those attempting to be nerdy and cool but missing the point. Missing that we aren't just nerds--we're nerds and jocks and people and we're awesome because we are working to make this world more beautiful and help where we can. 

But at the same time, we're failing being Nerdfighters if we are hostile towards anyone coming in because of TFiOS. We have to remember, they'll either be honest and come in and we excited and help, or we'll completely be forgotten six months after the movie comes out. Time wise, that isn't too long. Mockingjay will come along and the merchandise will be back and we'll be nothing but a distant memory. 

But please. Embrace it while you can. These things are fleeting, and this is a chance to enlighten someone. It'd be an awful shame for us to waist it. 
    by SeaCowKiera
  • livvallalivvalla Posts: 3
    I think that like anything you love with a deep and strong passion, when it gets more popular, or as you say more "mainstream" that you are both happy and sad. You are happy for the fact that whatever it is that you love is doing well and that it's succeeding. You are also sad though, because whatever special thing that it is that you love so much is now special to the entire world and you feel as if you will be judged for loving something so popular or that you will never be able to explain your special love and passion for whatever it may be in the same way as before. 
  • Pandagirl8Pandagirl8 Posts: 17
    I'm completely happy that TFiOS is becoming mainstream. My friends made me read it and I loved it so much. It completely changed my view of cancer and of general life. Also, it is how I found the best ever community: Nerdfighteria! But seriously, finding nerdfighters was one of the best things I have ever done and being able to chat with people just like me has been beyond amazing. I hope that new people have the same chance to experience this as I have.
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    What bothers me is that like I know all about John and the book and stuff and now people are trying to tell me about it and all that. I kinda think that the non-nerdfighters can read it and have fun with it, but they should not try to tell us about it because we know more than them and I hate it when ignorance tries to influence knowlegde.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • annanana95annanana95 Posts: 6
    I think what it really comes down to is that, when TFiOS started to become mainstream, I started feeling a bit possessive about it. Maybe some of you guys felt that way too. At my boarding, I tried to get a ton of people to read stuff by John Green. These are the same people who scoffed at "Catcher In the Rye" because it is (and I quote) "Old!". But when I told this girl than a lot of people have compared "Looking for Alaska" with it, she wanted to snatch the book right out of my hands. This is a good thing, right? If becoming mainstream means more people read books of literary value that makes for a better society, right? Then WHY does it feel so weird!?! I don't know, It's like John says that books ultimately belong to the reader and not to the author anymore. Maybe TFiOS ultimately belongs to the entire world and not just nerdfighteria anymore. That said, It makes me really sad when people reduce TFiOS to the label of a love story. To me, and to so many people I know, it is sooo much more than that. I guess that's the part that really gets me, that maybe it will become just that ONE thing and not be able to be more than that for the world. I wonder how John feels about this
  • NerdWriterFighterNerdWriterFighter HogwartsPosts: 167 ✭✭
    Being mainstream does not bother me as long as the people who read the books are nice.  The only problem with it being mainstream is that the mean and jerky kids at my school are finding John Green's books and liking them.  They claim to be huge John Green fans, yet they have no idea what Nerdfightaria is.  What really bothers me is some of those jerks do know what Nerdfightaria is.  They claim to be Nerdfighters yet they have no idea about the references or anything to Nerdfightaria which makes me even more angry.  I have only met one real Nerdfighter at my school who is nice and actually gets the references.  I know this sounds selfish, but inside my head I am like, "no! They can't be Nerdfighters or read John's books! They are not even nerds or even nice.  Nerdfightaria is suppose to be for nice nerds, not mean, jocky, jerks! Stop invading my escape to reality!"  Yet at the same time, if it weren't for The Fault in Our Stars (or Jennier Pinches with the Nerdfighter sign).  I wouldn't be a nerdfighter if it weren't kind of mainstream.
  • makeitagoodonemakeitagoodone 221B Baker St., Camelot, Narnia, GallifreyPosts: 123 ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I think it's an issue that this is even a topic (no offense to its creator)..

Nerdfighters complain that others call John and Hank "hipsters". Well, are Nerdfighters becoming hipsters themselves?

I understand wanting to protect our fandom. It's our own little world, and we want to keep it sacred. But caring that the books (and TIFIOS movie) become mainstream? I'm sorry guys, but that sounds pretty pretentious.

Does the relative popularity of art make it less important? I don't think so. I think a lot of indie art is fantastic, and a lot of mainstream art is equally fantastic. Art stands alone. Its quality is not determined by the amount of humans who happen to know what it is.

I think we should be thrilled John is successful. We all love him so much! Would you rather he was a struggling writer?

And if we were all honest, I think we'd realize that the fact our community is so extensive is proof TFIOS and rest of John's work is pretty mainstream. I'd like you to try to find a teenager who hasn't heard the phrase, "My thoughts are stars I can't fathom into constellations." They may not know where it came from, but they know it.

I think a lot of people will read the books simply because they're mainstream. But I don't think we have to worry about our fandom being polluted. Anyone who cares enough to join it is worthy of it, in my opinion.

I don't think the question, "Will TFIOS become a 'hipster' book?" is quite as scary as, "Are nerdfighters becoming hipsters?"
    by makeitagoodone
    “Maybe it’s just in America, but it seems that if you’re passionate about something, it freaks people out. You’re considered bizarre or eccentric. To me, it just means you know who you are.”
    - Tim Burton
  • MarelBadger819MarelBadger819 Posts: 18
    I think John deserves this publicity. I'm glad that his book is growing in popularity. I'm just upset because a lot of people are reading TFIOS without ever finding out about Nerdfighteria. Even so, a few people claim to be Nerdfighters who are really jerks. People who used to tease me for being a nerd. 

• Rocket_For_ApolloRocket_For_Apollo 'MuricaPosts: 7
    edited April 2014
    It bothers me because nobody appreciated my sense and taste in books and videos before. It also bugs me because I know that everyone will have a different way of interpreting things and I don't want other opinions to impose upon my own unique opinion and I also don't want certain people taking "my" thing. I know it sounds selfish, but it's true.
    by Rocket_For_Apollo
  • Luke_Earl_MolleLuke_Earl_Molle Earl of Peace Jefferson, IaPosts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay there is a difference in between wanting to keep a world to yourself and being a hipster. I don't like that everybody is hearing about it because then they try to tell me stuff I already know. Nerdfighteria is somewhere special to me, it is the place where I met my girlfriend, and I don't want people who aren't actually nerds and don't want to decrease worldsuck to come to nerdfighteria, and I'm sorry if that is wrong.
    I am the Duke of Earl, and I also am Earl For To and Of Peace
  • LibbyRBLibbyRB Posts: 1
    I think it's great that it has become so popular. What annoys me though is that people know about TFIOS but not of John and Hank. I mean, they know that John wrote the book, but when we watched an episode of Crash Course in History class people who have read the book were all 'John Green, he does youtube stuff?' And a lot of those people who have read TFIOS scoff at me for watching the Vlogbrothers and being a nerdfighter. That is what annoys me most, that something I know I would get mocked for liking (vlogbrothers and nerdfighteria) is related to something that those same people who would mock me enjoy and like. So, let everybody like the book and hopefully the film. But, let's hope that people also like John and Hank and nerdfighteria.
    "Always bring a banana to a party" - the 10th Doctor
  • Nat_attack7Nat_attack7 New Jersey Posts: 22
    Thank you so much for this discussion. Tbh this has kind of been bugging me. On one hand I'm extremely happy to see it be so successful, however the audience that it is reaching is not quite understanding it.
    Livin the nerd life
  • CautiouslyOptimisticCautiouslyOptimistic Hartlepool, EnglandPosts: 6
    On one hand I'm absolutely thrilled for John, and this book will bring a lot of positive publicity for him, his books, Hank, and the Nerdfighter community. TFIOS deserves all of this publicity that it's getting, and it could encourage a lot of people to pick up a book again and maybe have a better understanding of the difficulty other people face - maybe more people will find they can relate to the movie and the book and will be encouraged to look at life in a new light.

On the other hand, I worry about people who won't appreciate the book or who will enter the community and won't understand entirely what we're about. Another thing that bothers me is how protective I am over TFIOS, its one of those books I like to keep to myself. It means a lot to me. It helped me through a very, very bad time in my life and it has special sentimental value to me. I feel like the story and the message is my own, even though I know that this is a story to be shared. 

I guess that I have to learn to let it go. I can't be this protective parent of a story who holds it back. I want this story to be as successful as possible. Other people deserve to take this journey. They deserve to be helped by it too and we should try to relax and just let things settle down. Remember: just because we knew the book first doesn't make us better than the people who, from no fault of their own, hadn't heard of it before now.
  • LibertyNerd25LibertyNerd25 Reno, NevadaPosts: 357 ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite good that "The Fault in Our Stars" is becoming one of the most widely-known books of our generation. We want to spread good literature. I see no problem with the book being popular. 
    We should strive for a society where all men, women, and children have access to what they need to live with dignity. Jobs, living wages, access to a good education, and so on. Only then can we call ourselves humane and just.

• comealongpondcomealongpond Winnipeg, CanadaPosts: 47
    It's interesting, because I actually came to nerdfighteria through tfios. Literally, I read about the vlogbrothers in the author bio and decided to check it out.  I will forever be grateful for that. I think that if tfios is becoming more mainstream, it can bring a whole lot more people to nerdfighteria. I never thought I would become invloved in a place like this. I hope that through tfios popularity, nerdfighteria can grow and change into something even more wonderful. Although, saying that, I do get annoyed when I recommend the book to friends and they're like: "The ending was bad, it didn't really even have and end" and I'm like "well books belong to their readers, it's up to you to decide what happens" and their like " No, it's the authors job, it was a bad ending" 
    Yeah, I do think that sucks. It's hard for me to see I book I really connect with and hold close to me on like, a really significant emotional level, get described as "just another teen love story". 
    However, I'm keeping an open mind and hoping that as more and more people read it, more and more people will have their lives changed by the book and by nerdfighteria
    "we're driving toward the morning sun where all your blood is washed away and all you did will be undone"
  • abundanceofestrellasabundanceofestrellas Buenos AiresPosts: 1
    edited May 2014
    I get bothered not because it's "mainstream", but seriously ANYONE reads it this days. I have ran into a girl that I don't like and is all about boys, and "ew reading", and only cares about herself adn she was reading TFiOS. Not to mention that one of her friends was wearing a shirt that had "DFTBA" on it, and her friends is just like her.
    It bothers me that they're reading TFiOS and that they are cause they want to be cool, and TFiOS is just some trend that will make them cool. I really don't like to judge, but they're not the kind of person who read, they're doing it just  because reading is kind of "cool" now, and they do cause they want to seem hipster. People don't want to get the meaning, they want to be cool. That's just... ugh.
    by abundanceofestrellas
  • DominiqueDominique EnglandPosts: 5

It's strange because a year ago, I was absolutely delighted that TFiOS was becoming more popular and John was becoming more successful. Sure I was protective like Hazel for AIA, but I was ok with it.

Yet recently I've found the type of people who bullied and mocked me for being a nerd all read the book and think that they're the book's (not even John, they don't care WHO wrote the book) biggest fans. Almost worse, they view it as another 'cancer book' and/or romantic love story, nothing more, but it's emotional and 'popular' to read so it doesn't matter. Seeing people who enjoy hurting others read TFiOS and not even become better people from it really bugs me, especially because they despise everything John and Hank is and would likely have bullied them too when they were young.

I do keep an open mind though, and I know that TFiOS will have changed some people who normally would want nothing to do with nerdfighteria so at least there's that. Of course it also attracted new nerdfighters through its popularity, and there isn't much I like more than expanding our community and spreading the awesome :)

'Only takes one tree to make a thousand matches / Only takes one match to burn a thousand trees' - Stereophonics
  • NerdWriterFighterNerdWriterFighter HogwartsPosts: 167 ✭✭
    Dominique said:

It's strange because a year ago, I was absolutely delighted that TFiOS was becoming more popular and John was becoming more successful. Sure I was protective like Hazel for AIA, but I was ok with it.

Yet recently I've found the type of people who bullied and mocked me for being a nerd all read the book and think that they're the book's (not even John, they don't care WHO wrote the book) biggest fans. Almost worse, they view it as another 'cancer book' and/or romantic love story, nothing more, but it's emotional and 'popular' to read so it doesn't matter. Seeing people who enjoy hurting others read TFiOS and not even become better people from it really bugs me, especially because they despise everything John and Hank is and would likely have bullied them too when they were young.

I do keep an open mind though, and I know that TFiOS will have changed some people who normally would want nothing to do with nerdfighteria so at least there's that. Of course it also attracted new nerdfighters through its popularity, and there isn't much I like more than expanding our community and spreading the awesome :)

You're not the only one with the same problem problem.
    @Dominique
  • sarahggagesarahggage Posts: 1
    I somewhat agree with you, and somewhat don't. TFiOS is one of the best books I ever read, and I read it before it became huge. Now that's it extremely popular, it makes me so happy for John, but at the same time I hate that some people don't seem to understand the depth and greatness of the novel. When people begin to quote it and stuff, never having read the book, that's when I get peeved. Like, come on people. Once you read the book, quote away! but until then, keep away from quoting and making references from it. 

On the other hand, when I first read it, it felt like one of those 'special' books that only a small number of people had read and enjoyed and knew the extravagance of. Now, I feel like it has lost a bit of that specialness it had of being read by only a smaller number of people, but at the same time, it has reached an even greater audience that is embracing it and loving it. We all think about the book differently and see it in a different light, so while it is mainstream, it still has a special meaning to me and a depth that hasn't changed. So, in the long run, I'm so so happy for John and TFiOS and it's 'becoming mainstream'. 
  • livthenerdlivthenerd Posts: 3
    I know what you are talking about this has been bothering me too. I always feel so bad about being upset that other people are experiencing John Green's wonderful work. It is more for me that books like TFIOS have always been my escape and when the people I am trying to escape from are entering my world I get annoyed. I still love the book but I feel as if it is a little less personal. 
  • CandidCallalilyCandidCallalily Posts: 4
    To many of us, TFiOS is like our baby, as many have previously said. It's natural to want to protect it from people who won't understand it's true depth, but this struggle is probably the same one John faced when he first published the book! 

I am an (extremely) amateur writer myself, so when I show one of my works to someone, I get a little defensive and nervous. I basically bared my inner thoughts on (digital) paper and just handed it to someone else, to read and scrutinize in a few minutes. I might have spent hours on that piece, and they may just dismiss it. For John, the pressure must be magnified considerably! 

However, John is the first person to tell us that books belong to their readers. Once he handed the manuscript it to his editor, it was no longer just his. It belongs to everyone, Nerdfighter or not. Yes, there are people who won't "get" it, or will misinterpret the story, but it's not any different than the ignorant person at your favorite coffee shop disrespecting the barista by trying to order while talking on their cellphone. 

Some people will always be rude, or not "get" it, but that doesn't mean there aren't new customers/Nerdfighters just waiting to join the community!

• potterwho13potterwho13 Posts: 1
    I'm honestly extremely glad TFIOS became mainstream, if it hadn't, I probably would never have become a nerd fighter. I think that TFiOS is a brilliant book and should be shared. It seems as though most people are concerned about 'less intelligent' people reading John's books, even a few people being stereotypical of 14 year old girls, saying they are these 'less intelligent' people. As a 14 year old girl, I think this is a bit insulting, as not all of us are 'dumb' or 'idiots', but I agree on you with the fact that most of us haven't had the same amount of education that most adults have, yet. I think that instead of having John's books just for intelligent people, they should be shared around to everyone so that they can learn new things, and so that everyone can read intelligent, well written and inspiring books. The only annoying part of these amazing books becoming mainstream is the people who think its ok to bully anyone who is seen reading it. No. Just no. I think John deserves his success, as his books are brilliant. It also great that so many people are so passionate about his books.
  • KittyRoseGrangerKittyRoseGranger 221B, the TARDISPosts: 24
    I don't know. On one hand, I understand that the community's all about open-mindedness, but on the other, I feel like if everyone's reading it and other John Green books just because they're popular, it's not fair to the book or the author. If I turn around someone'll be reading TFiOS or Paper Towns or LFA or something and it's great the books are getting the recognition they deserve, but I don't like people not taking the books seriously. I don't know. I'm naturally possesive of the things and people I love. It's great that the books are getting recognition and that more people are finding this great community.
    "900 years of time and space and I've never met anyone who wasn't important." - The Doctor
  • d_f_t_b_a_d_f_t_b_a_ Posts: 2
    Its pretty annoying when people start talking about how they are huge john green fans because of tfios and they dont even know what nerdfighteria is.....but its so satisfying teaching them all about the nerdfighter community and the vlogbrothers. john green is really the best and deserves all the recognition he gets. 
  • cumberbabecumberbabe Posts: 1
    Even though the idea of John's books becoming popular sort of bothers me, I'm happy John is getting the attention he deserves. I feel like since his books are getting so popular people just use them as an accessory. What I mean is that some people will read his books just because everyone else did take a picture for their instagram, and then throw a few quotes around and talk about how much they love John Green without even being a part of nerdfighteria. I guess what this all boils down to is that when things get popular they're going to attract different audiences and just because the people are different and aren't a part of nerdfighteria doesn't take away their right to enjoy something. Also, can we stop referring to these types of people as "teenage girls." Yes, a majority of these people may be teenage girls, but I don't think we should be throwing around the terms "fourteen year old girl" and "teenage girl" as some sort of stereotype. Just because someone may be younger than you shouldn't deny their right to like something and as a teenage girl I am sort of disappointed that the term teenage girl is synonymous for dumb/idiotic/uncultured etc. On the bright side, there are more people to talk about his books (especially TFIOS) with.