TFiOS Becoming Mainstream

124»

Comments

• brandimathisbrandimathis Kansas Posts: 7
    I personally think it is great. When I first read TFiOS I wanted/sort of forced my entire circle of friends to read it. I think the book is intelegnet, well written, honest and it forces people to self reflect. I don't think there are enough books like that. So if TFiOS being "mainstream," (P.S. what does that really even mean? I mean aren't all things mainstream to some extent, including the desire to refrain from being mainstream?) encourages a generation of readers to be better people, and to think for themselves, and to not see people as anything other than people, and to look past this false dichotomy society has created between the healthy and the sick, then yes, by all means, I think we should all be celebrating it's mainstream success.
  • SebnisSebnis Posts: 4
    I think my point may already have been made by a lot of you, but I too don't necessarily think that it is a bad thing that TFIOS has become so popular, I for one would never have become a Nerdfighter, which has been quite an arduous journey I should say, had I not read TFIOS.

I also think that perhaps we have to differentiate between Nerfighters and the TFIOS fandom. I really don't think that all who read John's books becomes Nerdfighters, just as I don't think that all Nerdfighters have read John's books, so just because the movie becomes insanely popular, I don't think that it will spell the end for Nerdfighteria. I personally think that it is an amazing book and it really touched me, as well as restart my passion for reading.

And if that is the case for other than just me, which I get the impression that it has, then I think we should be happy that so many people have taken a liking to it.
  • considermeweeirdconsidermeweeird Virginia Beach, VA.Posts: 23
    I think its great that the book is successful, because it's a wonderful book. The only thing is that all my friends have read the book, but NONE of them are Nerdfighters >_<
  • cmmatzatcmmatzat Posts: 7
    For the most part, I'm glad it gets the attention. However, the thing that really bothers me is that now a lot of the "fans" of the book/movie treat it as just a love story involving two teens with cancer. This book is SOOO much more than that, and to see it so commonly discounted is painful. I just don't want lots of new fans who do not want to think critically to dilute the quality of discussion in the overall fan community.
  • chameleonarechameleonare Posts: 4
    On the one hand more people will be able to read it and truly love it like all of us did; new fans aren't any less worthy than people who were fans "before it was cool". On the other hand, as a lot of people have pointed out, I hate to see TFIOS being cheapened by people just jumping on the movie love story bandwagon an ignoring the other themes/messages/etc. But I mean when I first read Harry Potter when I was a kid I saw very little, if any of it other than the main plot but that didn't mean I didn't love it or deserve to read it.
  • bananasinpajamasbananasinpajamas auckland, new zealandPosts: 3
    it doesn't necessarily bother me that the books have become popular because it helps john and encourages him to write more of the amazing books that we all love, what does bother me is that people that don't appreciate the book and the writing skill and overlook all the time and effort put into creating this amazing piece of literature, are reading it simply because it is a trend, everyone is posting pictures of them with the book or reading the book because it has become so popular, they say 'omg i cried so much' because that is what EVERYONE is saying my bet is that half of them didn't read or understand the book and the meaning, the entire point of the book just flew right over their heads because they want to be 'mainstream' but are saying how much they love it because thats what everybody else is doing. All I'm saying is that people should read because they love it or are generally interested in the book not just for the fact that everyone else has so you have to as well. there is nothing wrong with lots of people reading the book, that is fine the more the merrier, it is just a matter of weather or not those people reading are really appreciating the book or just saying (more like typing because lets be honest the only time these people ever talk about this book is where there followers can see) that they loved it when they didn't understand it at all 
    banansa
  • foreverellaforeverella New England, USAPosts: 24
    It does bother me but it shouldn't. What annoys me is that people who are against everything awesome and bookish are into it. But I still think everyone should read it and I hope it makes the people who read it a little more awesome and a little more into books.
    Hope is a thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, - Emily Dickinson
  • purpleelephantspurpleelephants Somewhere :)Posts: 12
    There seems to be a lot on here about 14 year old girls....
    Speaking as one, some of us get the quotes and the story and the humour, etc, but I agree, a lot of the readers (not necessarily ones of a certain age though :P) might not understand. I think my main worry is that the quotes become so overused that they are cliches. 
    There was a big surge of that at my school around when the movie came out, but it is calming down now and only hardcore fans remain.
  • purpleelephantspurpleelephants Somewhere :)Posts: 12
    @TianaRapley @MattTheRicker Thanks for commenting on this discussion! I love hearing other people's opinions on the subject. However, i did notice that you used "14 year old girl" as a sort of generalization for people that are unintelligent and are unable to see and read things complexly (although I may have misunderstood this use of the phrase). As a 14 year old girl, i just want to let you know that not all of us are like that, and hopefully the 14 year old girls that you have encountered haven't been so awful to make you think that that is how most of us act and think. :)
    Exactly. Exactly. Thank you.
    (No further questions)
  • CricketteChirpzCricketteChirpz Aztec, New MexicoPosts: 4
    bluebeef said:
    It bothers me a lot as well, but then again, it does not. It bothers me because people are taking like a fad - wearing the t-shirts, getting the merchandise, posting things on Twitter and Tumblr and Facebook about it...when it makes me believe that they're not getting the whole point of the story. But then again, I can't be too selfish. Maybe they are getting the point. And, nevertheless, John's books are growing in popularity. That's awesome! More people are being brought into Nerdfighteria and to the wonderful world of John Green literature.
    This is what bothers me too. I'm worried that people are only seeing Hazel and Gus as teenagers in love, which they are. But they have so much more depth than that, and the thing about popularity is that the deeper meaning can very easily be lost among the hype of getting the merch and posting about how much you cried at the movie. If John and his books, and by extension, every other piece of awesome that he and Hank generate, becomes more popular while still retaining its value, I am all for it. If it all goes mainstream and loses its purpose, that's not so great.
  • I have a friend who kind of refuses to watch the movie because of all the attention it's gotten from people who watched the movie without reading the book. I feel like reading the book makes it more personal to us because we devoted more time to it and fell in love with the characters in a secret special way by creating them in our own minds. So I worry it's getting too mainstream sometimes; I totally get that. But I always hear John's voice in the back of my head saying this was a gift for nerdfighters and then I remember how special this whole thing really is and let the worry go. However, that's just my take on it.
  • I am a pretty new nerdfighter and I read TFiOS months before I knew who John was, and I loved it anyway. A while later I stumbled across one of hanks videos and I loved it. When I found out john was his brother and they did it together, I nearly died it was so perfect.
  • peacefulchaospeacefulchaos Posts: 4
    edited April 2015
    I'm new here and initially knew of John and Hank through Vlogbrothers. I was late to the TFiOS party. People were going on about the book,then the film-my nose was buried in books on Tudor history (A passion of mine) and I just rarely read fiction. It was only when I learned that John had written it (I told you I wasn't paying attention!) that I became intrigued and bought it. I'm so glad I did. I have suggested it to friends and often go back to,passages in the book. I'm currently reading "Looking for Alaska" and have just finished "Paper Towns". I'm not a young adult by a mile-but I do enjoy John's writing talent.
    by peacefulchaos
  • sinisterreveriessinisterreveries Posts: 7
    It bothers me a lot. Well I, actually, it always bother me when something I've liked becomes mainstream and everyone knows and loves it. I mean, that's great, the attention is well deserved but, as it gets bigger, it loses the significance. I can't explain but I hope you got what it loses.
    As for TFIOS, I read it early 2013 aaand a few months I heard that it'd be a film. I got happy by the news but then it all blew up when the release date's coming. Everyone on my school and a lot of teenage GIRLS are talking about it, random acquaintances from Facebook quoting the book... it's just-- it annoys me. Pathetic people only reading because it's just in the trend, and maybe reading it just because of the "love story". I know it's there, yeah, but the story is deeper than that. But they just dig those parts and not the whole story.
  • nickg765nickg765 New JerseyPosts: 1
    edited May 2015
    I discussed this with a few fellow nerdfighters recently at a concert in Phili (Tour Because Awesome), and we came to a bit of a consensus: The Fault in Our Stars' becoming "mainstream" doesn't really bother us; there's nothing particularly problematic about that. But the whole community of nerdfighteria is awesome because it's not mainstream. There's an incredibly high concentration of awesome people in it (essentially all nerdfighters are made of awesome), and that's what makes it such an awesome community. That and the fact that it was created by John and Hank, who are probably the most awesome people in existence. 
    So TFiOS isn't somehow worse or less awesome because it's more mainstream. I love the book. But the community surrounding it is inherently problematic. There just isn't a high concentration of awesome, intellectual nerdfighters. There are too many normal(ish) humans who are completely obsessed with it instead of the small following of entirely awesome people usually attracted by things created by John and Hank. So the decreasing concentration of awesome people in the community surrounding it is what makes TFiOS's becoming mainstream a bad thing (from my perspective). 
    Now, I'm certainly not trying to say that I'm not glad that the book is as well known as it is. Had my mom (Yes, my mom) not convinced me to read it, I would never have even known what nerdfighteria is. 
    by nickg765
  • SteveRossiterSteveRossiter Posts: 3
    My first experience of a John Green story was when I watched TFIOS at the cinema, which I decided to see because I thought Shailene Woodley was interesting in an interview she did with Conan O'Brien and because I run a book blog for teen novels and had seen John's books on bestseller lists. Then I listened to more of his stories as audiobooks. I later happened to come across his CrashCourse videos when I was researching Europe during World War 2 on YouTube, where I also found Hank's SciShow videos and the vlogbrothers videos.

I think it's great that TFIOS is reaching a large number of readers (and listeners and viewers). Many people who appreciate the book (or the audiobook or movie, or several of these) will discover more and become nerdfighters, but those who come across TFIOS and don't understand or appreciate it so much will move on and need not bother nerdfighters. The net result of the mainstream popularity is a larger and stronger Nerdfighteria.

As with any story, not everyone will get every reference and every level of meaning, but at the screening I attended in Hobart, Australia, people laughed, cried and really seemed to leave the cinema having connected strongly with the characters.
  • IbokIbok Posts: 6
    This one is super hard for me tbh. On one hand its cool to see so many people come to Nerfighteria and see merch being worn at school and being able to connect to those people. On another hand its annoying to see people pretend to be fans yet can't make a single intelligent comment on this book.

One way to tell a true fan is to make an incredibly deep comment about the book (its's gotta be like earth shattering) to another person who calls themselves a fan. If they either one look at you in confusion or get all wide eyed and looks like their earth exploded and can't add anything than they aren't real fans. However if they get excited and add on (I find true fans always want to add or contribute something to the conversation) than most likely their a true fan.