Find local nerdfighters!

valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
Effyeahnerdfighters has put together a pretty comprehensive list of local nerdfighter groups on facebook. Lots of these groups are quite active and are constantly holding gatherings and meetups, so if you want to find some rad new friends, this list would be a great place to start.

Head over here to find nerdfighters near you.

Comments

• edwardedward Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Thanks Valerie! (Thanks for giving us the Pizza John shirt too - that was nice of you ...)
  • Thanks Valerie! I really appreciate the link! :)
  • BeckyBecky Posts: 13
    Thank you for the list! =)
  • BootyPrioriBootyPriori Posts: 20
    When that list was posted, our group got about 15 new members. Thanks for compiling that awesome list! 
  • nedamarienedamarie Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm the creator/co-admin of the Bulgarian group, thanks for including us on the list, it made me grin!  :)
    lover of peace, hope, and Jennifer. 
  • Thanks for putting up that link ;)
  • wessellswessells Posts: 69
    I never knew the link. It is great :)

Also, there are more people but they aren't a member of the Facebooks, how can we solve that? I mean, how can we get to know more nerdfighters.
  • FirstBaritoneFirstBaritone Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Thanks so much! I was starting to give up hope on ever finding Nerdfighters in West Virginia! 
  • NelsonNelson AmsterdamPosts: 140 ✭✭
    wessells said:
    Also, there are more people but they aren't a member of the Facebooks, how can we solve that? I mean, how can we get to know more nerdfighters.
    I'm one of those non-facebook people!

But as said, the idea is nice. :)
    [ YouTube ] [ tumblr ]
  • valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    @wessells @nelson I'd reckon these forums would be a good place to start! See if a thread for your state/country/etc has been made in the gatherings section already, if not, make one, and so on!
  • rainglobulerainglobule Posts: 14 ✭✭
    haha it was crazy when that list went up, the boston nerdfighters got over 50 requests in a day, i didn't know what was going on!
  • SirRealistSirRealist Posts: 66
    Valerie, thanks for all your help with this. "meeting other Nerdfighters" is a VERY popular desire, so I guess this category also should cover "Communities"?... more lasting than gatherings and events.   That explains the FB link here. But... I think there are More NFs than are on FB, and I don't know if FB is always gonna be appealing... (it keeps being NotSome)...   If people were to list NON FB organizations... maybe sorted by County... where would you recommend that... an editted document here? at EffYah?... or.. ... ideas?

-=DaveBo (SirRealist)
  • LOVEFROMBOOKS7LOVEFROMBOOKS7 Posts: 1
    I just requested to join my local group! I have a con coming up that I shall be Katniss for and I'm kinda eager to see if I can meet some Nerdfighters there and man, I love the Internet! 
  • MaxWBeaulieuMaxWBeaulieu Los Angeles, CAPosts: 60 ✭✭
    This is awesome! 
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    Are there any ways to find other Nerdfighters that don't involve facebook? I really don't want to join facebook but I still want to meet other Nerdfighters.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • accio77accio77 USAPosts: 9
    I love this so much.  Because I live in such a small place, I never thought there were many Nerdfighters around me.  Thanks for sharing!!
    "I will love myself despite the ease with which I lean toward the opposite."
    - Shane Koyczan
  • MaxWBeaulieuMaxWBeaulieu Los Angeles, CAPosts: 60 ✭✭
    Are there any ways to find other Nerdfighters that don't involve facebook? I really don't want to join facebook but I still want to meet other Nerdfighters.
    A couple friends of mine have nearly empty profiles, with fake names so they can join groups they like without having to be sucked into the FB culture. 
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    MaxB said:
    A couple friends of mine have nearly empty profiles, with fake names so they can join groups they like without having to be sucked into the FB culture. 
    I just don't think its fair that you have to join facebook just to find friends. We should make a site for that. Just pick a group (Nerdfighters, Minecrafters, anything that doesn't offend people really), pick a location, and find people like you.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • alyburdy00alyburdy00 Somewhere in the known universePosts: 4
    Yay!! Just found out there's a nerdfighter group in my area!!! :)
  • valerie2776valerie2776 Missoula, MTPosts: 264 Admin
    A heads up with this, I've migrated the groups page to http://nerdfighteria.com/map, where there's also now a map of all the groups! It's really ridiculous how many nerdfighter groups there are :)
  • Are there any ways to find other Nerdfighters that don't involve facebook? I really don't want to join facebook but I still want to meet other Nerdfighters.
    So your answer to people who don't want to be on Facebook is to join Facebook?  You're missing the point.

Unfortunately, the stark reality is that in the minds of people who use Facebook, you don't exist if you aren't on Facebook; you're the minority not worth including.  No amount of saying "hey, we're here too and we want to cool Nerdfighter things and decrease worldsuck!" will make any difference until people stop being addicted to that awful site.*
    (*Awful because they violate user privacy seven ways to Sunday, any way they can get away with it.)
    (**I used to have a fake profile just like MaxWBeaulieu's friends did until I couldn't take the violations anymore.)
    ~Peculiar Purple Librarian of Pikes Peak.  Ya-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta, ya-ta-ta!