google hangout?

I realize not all of us here are from the same country/state. I was thinkinging maybe we could all do a google hangout sometime. If it makes you guys more comfortable creating another email to share to put in the google hangout. So yeah. I don't really know how to set one up lol.I just thought it was a good idea. So somebody with knowledge needs to set it up. so yeah!
I didn't know what the feeling was really, just that there was a lot of it

Comments

• ChocolatePandasChocolatePandas United StatesPosts: 3
    Ahh! Is it too late for this to be a thing? I want this to be a thing.
  • Jacob_LivelyJacob_Lively Houston, Texas, United States Posts: 55
    This could be a thing
  • Dr_MachinegunDr_Machinegun India,MumbaiPosts: 31
    Jacob! <3 

they call me Dr Moooooooo...Dooo Wee Dooooooo

• Jacob_LivelyJacob_Lively Houston, Texas, United States Posts: 55
  • IluuuvbooksIluuuvbooks Illinois, USPosts: 5
    Im new and I really hope they do one, if they have not done one that long ago.
  • rkent100rkent100 Posts: 39
    Is this still a thing? I'm interested
  • Arrogant_BeggarArrogant_Beggar Posts: 2
    edited June 2015
    How come this is not a thing yet make it happen
    by Arrogant_Beggar
  • palinalifpalinalif Iceland. Unfortunately.Posts: 15
    Make it happeeeeeeeen
  • mimilynnmimilynn Posts: 8
    This would be pretty awesome!
    It's all or nothing my friend <3
  • Mafe15239Mafe15239 PerúPosts: 27
    edited August 2015
    I'm interested on this thing!
    by Mafe15239
  • mkrakora22798mkrakora22798 Posts: 2
    interested as well!
  • PennyJPennyJ Posts: 14
    Hey, this sounds interesting!
    How come nobody made it happen yet? Isn't there anyone here who knows how to set it up?

I never used Google Hangouts before, but it doesn't look so hard. Not sure, what the most efficient way for group hangouts would be, it seems you can only invite individual people, instead of -- let's say -- Google+ groups, that everyone interested in receiving hangout invitations can join, so you can invite everyone with one click. Maybe I just didn't find it yet, though.

So, yeah... as I hinted at before, maybe I'm not the best to set it all up (besides, I don't get around to be here very often), but I guess it's about time to post something more than just "I'm interested as well" if this thing is ever supposed to actually happen.

Another issue is time and dates for the hangouts. I assume there might be interested nerdfighters from many different time zones, so the time of the day should vary from hangout to hangout so everybody has the chance to join a hangout without having to get up in the middle of the night or something.
    In addition, random calls from any nerdfighter in the mood for a hangout would also be possible, but if you don't expect a hangout to happen, you might not be online, even though you'd have time for it and thus miss the chance. So I'd suggest setting up appointments a couple of days in advance, or even on a regular basis, like each wednesday between 6pm and 8pm UTC or something similar. Don't know. Any suggestions?
    I've been thinking about the nerdfighter hangouts some more and I found this article from 2012.

It describes a way of using google plus communities for group hangouts, which seems to be a good set up for the nerdfighter hangouts:

http://techczech.net/2012/12/09/use-google-communities-to-run-google-hangouts-with-your-tutorial-groups-in-a-large-online-course/

So if no updates since the release of this article made it impossible to follow these steps, I'd suggest creating a G+ community named "Nerdfighter Hangouts" (or anything else) and scheduling hangouts as events via this community.

What do you think?
  • AlmaAlma FrancePosts: 910 ✭✭
    Hi there, i've also been thinking about it, and yeah, google communities seems like a viable option.

I'm not the most skilled person for this kind of set up, but I can help for sure ^^ Because if we don't start really looking into it, I don't think we're going to see this nerdfighter hangout :p

So, since the idea seems to interest some of us, let's just do this (and not just wish for it)

I've watched tutorials, etc... If i've read correctly, we first need to choose if we make it public or private.
    Well, public would be better I think, and normally we could still have moderators, so it seems like a good deal for me. Like that, nerdfighters that are not from the forum will be able to find the hangout with the searchbar, something that wouldn't be possible if we make it private. And still, it's not completely public, so that not everyone can see all of the posts and members for example. But it's just my opinion of course ^^
    And we only get one shot to set up this private and public thing (and all of the advanced options), if we need to change the settings we would have to delete the hangout completely ^^"

Then, for the title, photo, description, cover, etc... we could do a strawpoll for example.

In terms of time and dates, well, it's going to be a bit tricky, since we're pretty much scattered all around the globe. As you've said, we could do both regularly events, and random ones, so that we please everyone. When everything will be setlled, we will be able to ask people which time/date suits them the best, and then split it in different groups for example, and next to this do events with everyone ^^ Or we could set up the gatherings before creating the hangout as well.

But of course, these are just ideas of mine, as I said, i'm not the best in these terms of things^^, but if we do it all together, it shouldn't pose any problem I think.

"Men have always been needed who would be bold enough to believe that history is not a dull and monotonous repetition, the same game played over and over again under different disiguises, but have had an invicible confidence that moral progress is a reality, that mankind is slowly climbing an invisible ladder to better things, leaving behind its bestiality and attaining to godliness"
     Stefan Zweig, Erasmus of Rotterdam

Your consideration concerning private/public communities make sense to me. I'd agree on making the community a public one. :)

Do you happen to know to what extend titles, descriptions, photos,... can be added or at least changed later on? If these things can be edited later, we might not need to slow the community creation down because of these. Just a thought.
    I personally don't feel the exact title etc are very important (to me), as long as they're descriptive enough. I'd be willing to let the creator enter something without being included into the decision making process. Sure, it's nice to agree on everything as a group, but depending on how many choices there are to make (especially choices which do not effect functionality) this might take a long time.
    edited October 2015
    I've searched a bit, and came up with these two websites :

gplustutorial.blogspot.fr/2012/12/a-guide-to-google-communities.html

http://www.pageonepower.com/linkarati/building-google-plus-community

So, you just can't change the public/private settings, but it appears that everything else can be modified later on. So I agree with you, the hardest part is to actually create this community, the rest will come later.
    So we can add moderators if we make the community public, and these moderators can do everything but delete the community, and the owner can make a moderator the owner; it seems pretty useful for me, so maybe the owner plus the moderators could deal with the details (description, communication, etc...),so that the community is as fluid as possible.

by Alma

"Men have always been needed who would be bold enough to believe that history is not a dull and monotonous repetition, the same game played over and over again under different disiguises, but have had an invicible confidence that moral progress is a reality, that mankind is slowly climbing an invisible ladder to better things, leaving behind its bestiality and attaining to godliness"

Wow--time rushed by so fast! I intended to respond sooner...
    Unfortunately, I can't open the two links you posted. But I wondered... since you read up on how to create a google community: would you be willing to set it up? :)
    Nobody else really joined the hangout discussion lately, but I'm hoping once the community exists (and the planning and set up is done), some people will join. :)
    edited October 2015
    Yep, except that I've searched a bit, and realized that there is a G+ community that already exists, and happens to have around 3500 followers and is quite active. The name of the community is Nerdfighteria.
    So I don't know how you feel about this, but I don't see the point of creating an other one.
    The only problem is that we can only talk to each other via comments and posts, but not by, you know,texting, which seems to me a lot easier.
    So it takes us back to the hangout, because the community already has a lot of followers, so we could contact the owner/moderator, and talk to him/her about it ? We could for example do hangouts video, and it seems pretty cool and fun to me. As a result, we can combine the community and the hangout. Apparently, you can do a hangout party, where you  post the anouncement on the community, and the people that are in this community can join the hangout party. So we could organize some, with special themes for example.
    by Alma

That's a good point you brought up!
    I found the community you mentioned (and, actually a lot of other similar named groups). I guess we could message the community owners and tell / ask them about the hangout idea. :) if they're up for it, I don't see the need to create yet another nerdfighter community on G+. I totally agree with you!
    edited October 2015
    Yes, it seemed quite odd to me that no one had ever thought about creating a G+ community, especially when the community is so wide. ;)
    So yeah let's do this, just need to know who are the moderators and owners. The thing is, I'm not gonna be home for the next 2 days, so do you want to ask them ?
    Edit : just searched, found the owners : well, there's this one fellow named Hank Green, and the other one is Alex Anderlik, but he hasn't been active since 2014. :)
    by Alma

I left a message to both of them. I'll let you know, if/when they respond. ;)
    Ok great, thank you ! :)
    Hope they'll agree.

As I wrote before, I tried to contact the Nerdfighteria community's owners to talk with them about the hangouts.
    I'm not sure whether their privacy settings prevent them from seeing/noticing my messages, or whether they simply don't use G+ regularly anymore, or... Whatever the reason is, it's been around 13 days since my first message, and about 5 since my second one.
    What would your plans be now, concerning the hangouts? We could wait even longer, you could try your luck contacting them, or we could also try to get in touch with other nerdfighter-related communities' owners.
    Or: we go ahead and create our own community.
    I don't think moderators would have privacy settings,they're just inactiveI think.
    I'll send them a message anyway, who knows,

Well, there's no point waiting any longer. What we could do, however, is send a message on the community, explaining our project, since the community is quite active.Then, we could get their feedback and then see how we could set this up.
    What would be your plan ? :)

My suggestion would be to create our own community, as we originally planned.
    Then we can use this forum, but also the Nerdfighteria community on G+ to spread the news.

But we can do it the other way around as well--posting about the hangout idea in the Nerdfighteria community first. Maybe we can get some valuable tips that way, so this might actually be the better plan. ;)

When you say "get their feedback" do you mean feedback concerning their interest in participating in the hangouts or feedback on how to set up the community / the hangout events?
    Well we can fisrt ask the community, and get the feedback on both teir interest, and eventual advices on how to set up the community, that sounds like a good plan to me at least :)

So that after we could create another community created specially for the hangout, and linked with the nerdfighteria community.

What do you think ?

edited November 2015
    Yes, sure, good plan. The community's post category "projects" seems to be a good place for that.
    I'm sorry, if I seem to be a little slow and passive. I've been really busy lately and I'm afraid I won't be any less busy in the near future. :-<
    by PennyJ
    edited November 2015
    Yep, seems good to me too.
    Oh don't worry, I understand totally what you mean. (I'm actually enjoying my last "peaceful" year of high school, before studying 24/7)

Edit : Good luck in whatever you're doing/studying :p
    by Alma

• cassiea521cassiea521 Gainesville, Florida, USAPosts: 17
    If the google hangout group is still a thing, I would like to join! :)
  • MeroviusMerovius Zürich, SwitzerlandPosts: 23
    Yeah, the discussion seems to have stopped somewhat abruptly. This is the g+ community they where talking about: https://plus.google.com/communities/108073777063678741691
    It's still somewhat active.

If, say, at least two or three people commit to coming, I would just create a group hangout for this weekend (say, 3pm eastern time, that should be a good time to let anyone in Europe/Afrika and Amerika join?). Just reply here or tweet me @TheMerovius. And ask other nerdfighters.

(trying to be proactive here, which, in my experience, often means "despotic", at least when it's about starting something :) )