AP Music Theory?

SeaBassSeaBass Posts: 4
know that Nerdfighteria is vast, and diverse, so I was hoping that there might be a Nerdfighter out there who could help me. I love music more than pretty much anything, I play the guitar, piano, flute, banjo, and am starting the trumpet. As a rising Junior in high school, I am now allowed to take AP Courses (Its a weird rule at my school were you can't take AP's unless you are a junior or senior) And as the avid music lover I am i want to take AP Music Theory. I talk to my teacher about, and told me that i had a place in the class, then he gave me a list of thinks we would do in the class. Stuff like sight reading, and major and minor keys, but the last thing he said was singing. And i was wondering do you have to be talented at singing to succeed in this course?

Answers

• You probably don't, but if you are really worried about it I would try voice lessons. They can drastically improve your vocal skills and depending on where you live are fairly inexpensive. But considering this is a music theory class and not s choir or general music class singing will most likely not be a major factor in your grades. DFTBA!
  • im1000applesim1000apples Posts: 16
    Not at all, proficiency in pretty much any musical instrument helps a lot, but even then my college music theory class had pianos to help students who didn't have an instrument.
  • KatBramlettKatBramlett Georgia, USAPosts: 3
    Good for you with the AP class! As for talent, I doubt it. Keep in mind the course is AP Music Theory so as long as your technique is good and you're not doing anything drastically wrong, you should be fine. ^-^
  • MetabeardMetabeard Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I've been a musician for a very long time (cello, guiter, and now the studio), and music theory has been something slightly beyond me (I think I just never put enough effort into tackling the subject). That being said, one of my best friends and primary collaborator on music is proficient in music theory and had gone to the University of the Arts in Philadelphia majoring in vocal studies. I don't know that it was necessary, but I do know that he has a much more acute ear for tonality than I do because of it. Based on all the people I've worked with in music, it's my opinion that the piano and voice are most important for understanding music theory (but frankly, a deep involvement in any instrument is sufficient).
    "The only way out is through." -Frost
  • gerenjiegerenjie Posts: 64 ✭✭
    Music theory is very interesting, I love it. Good luck!
  • cjoboistacjoboista Rochester, NYPosts: 6
    I guess this discussion was started several months ago, so this might not be much help, but I took AP theory my senior year of high school and now go to a music conservatory - so now, looking back, AP theory would seem like a breeze.  At the time, though, I found the melodic and chord dictation to be really difficult.  Like, really, really difficult.  That was my biggest challenge, personally - I thought the written stuff, like four-part voice leading, was pretty easy.  As far as the singing goes, though - the AP exam asks you to sight-sing a brief excerpt.  You record it on a tape recorder and send it in to the College Board.  They don't care at all what your voice sounds like, as long as you sing the right intervals between each note - and you'll be able to do that if you have a good ear or at least a good working knowledge of how music usually goes (i.e., they're not going to give you an atonal excerpt, so if you stay in a key you're probably good to go).  Also, the sight-singing portion is weighted the least on the exam, so you could bomb it and still get a 5 if you did OK on the rest of it.  Although, getting comfortable with sight-singing now will help immensely if you plan on pursuing music in college - I wish I'd worked on it more in high school, for sure.  Good luck!  (:
  • ItsAMeMitchellItsAMeMitchell Alabama(?)Posts: 1
    To quote Buddy the Elf, "...it's just like talking, except longer and louder, and you move your voice up and down."
  • mischiefsortamanagedmischiefsortamanaged Georgia, USAPosts: 19
    I know this is very late and probably no longer needed. But I am currently in AP Music Theory. I am a vocalist so the singing aspect wasn't a problem when I considered signing up for the course. However, it's not a lot of singing. Just enough singing to demonstrate that you can hear the differences between certain intervals or to demonstrate a certain rhythm.
  • Anni20161Anni20161 Posts: 1
    To me it seems that singing can help you to sight sing with things like learning intervals and the ability to sing triads with out having to go find an istrument.
  • MajestasMajestas MassachusettsPosts: 6
    I know this discussion is kind of old, but oh well.

I just took AP Theory last year and the class was a lot of fun. I am a big instrumentalist too. I can play clarinet, bass clarinet, and alto saxophone. I also cannot sing. But the theory test is just like sight reading on your instrument. The music is pretty easy too. The thing I find the most helpful was writing in the Solfege because as you practice, using the Solfege helps you relate intervals with syllables and you learn the intervals better. For me, the thing I screwed up the most is there was a Fi instead of a Fa and I said Fi but the pitch I sang was Fa, which was not good. But trust me, I cannot sing and I didn't do horribly on the singing.