How do you eat your corndogs?

LazarusLazarus Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
I was just curious about this after finding out people eat them with Mayo.

For me I prefer them with a dip of ketchup, pepper and diced onions. It is just so very delicious.

Comments

• VickiVicki Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭
    Because google won't give me a simple answer, what is a corndog? The internet talks about them a lot, but I'm quite sure we don't have them in England. 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• leFailFishleFailFish EnglandPosts: 403 ✭✭✭
    Vicki said:
    Because google won't give me a simple answer, what is a corndog? The internet talks about them a lot, but I'm quite sure we don't have them in England. 
    Nope, I'm certain we don't have them in England! From what I can gather, they're like sausages fried in batter or something... a bit like a hot dog with extra stuff on the sausage. But I'm sure someone who has actually encountered one will correct me :)
    'I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.' Fandoms are life. I am not a psychopath, I am a high-functioning fangirl.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    @lefailfish you're exactly right--a hotdog that's been breaded (in corn-mealy stuff, hence the name) then fried.  

To answer the original question, I'm vegetarian, so don't eat them at all, but when I did as a kid I'd typically just eat them with no extra sauces or whatever.  I don't like ketchup, didn't like mustard as a child, and wouldn't have thought to put anything else on it.
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • VickiVicki Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭✭
    @leFailFish: So a battered sausage, on a stick? Like those that you get in a fish and chip shop, with chips (and for some strange, probably local reason, curry sauce)? 
    "This is not words. This is just squiggles on a page.This is notation." - Vi Hart
    I reside in the land of the last ones. 

• Miya37Miya37 Posts: 356 ✭✭✭
    @Vicki Kind of, but not quite. More like a hotdog wrapped in cornbread, if that helps.

I'm vegetarian too, but I eat my veggie corndogs (and my normal corndogs before) with mustard. Out of curiosity, does anyone eat the breading first? I'll sometimes have a bite of the whole thing but usually I'll eat an inch or two of the breading and then an inch or two of hotdog and so on. Maybe I'm just weird lol.
  • MCJCMCJC MissouriPosts: 94 ✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Okay, okay. A corndog is a hotdog on a stick covered in a cornmeal batter and deep fried in oil.
    by MCJC
    "Gallantry entails great risks"
    -Siegmeyer of Catarina
  • leFailFishleFailFish EnglandPosts: 403 ✭✭✭
    High five @turdl38 and @Miya37 for vegetarianism!! (sorry, that's entirely unrelated to the discussion...)

I feel quite proud for working that out :D they're similar enough to hot dogs or veggie hot dogs then - I eat my veggie hot dogs with ketchup and onions :) they taste delicious.
    'I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.' Fandoms are life. I am not a psychopath, I am a high-functioning fangirl.
  • turdl38turdl38 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    @miya37, I have been known to steal the cornbread from my step-dad's corn dogs and leave the "dog" part to him.  
    Difficult does not mean impossible.  Very little is impossible if you want it badly enough.
  • lovelikeangelslovelikeangels ValyriaPosts: 276 ✭✭✭
    with ketchup. sometimes mustard. 
    but corndogs, like fries, are the vessels of ketchup into my mouth.
    If you are plagued by externals, it is not they who trouble you, but the importance you give them.
    Marcus Aurelius
  • FerronFerron Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 37
    To be honest, I don't *love* corndogs, but it's sort of a tradition to get them whenever my family goes to Kennywood. That said, I eat them plain, just like a regular hotdog.
  • MCJCMCJC MissouriPosts: 94 ✭✭
    Wow @Ferron , I don't think I could ever eat a hotdog just plain. That's got to be like a superpower or something.
    "Gallantry entails great risks"
    -Siegmeyer of Catarina
  • maggie22maggie22 Posts: 6
    I mix my ketchup and mustard together before dipping in the corn dog!! I never really thought about that they might not have them in England. They are kind of just everywhere in the US it is odd to think people don't know what they are! Also they have breakfast ones which are a sausage wrapped in pancake batter then fried!!
  • Queenie59Queenie59 Posts: 29
    We don't have them in Slovenia either..

“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home. ― Anna Quindlen

• figgyfanfiggyfan PennsylvaniaPosts: 15
    I eat the extra cornbread stuff that's stuck to the stick, then eat the cornbread stuff off the top, then eat as much of the hotdogish part as possible then eat the cornbread. I don't really like the hotdog part that much by it's self. they always taste funny. But I love corndogs XD My brother and I use to eat a giant box of them every two weeks.

"I will not stop. For mad I may be, but I will never be convenient." ~ Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
  • EverydayCaitEverydayCait Posts: 95 ✭✭
    I like my corndog with mustard, but I don't eat the corndog "butt" - the part closest to the stick, so the very end. I don't know why. I never eat it. Never ever.
  • katnisskittkatnisskitt Kitchener Ontario, CanadaPosts: 74
    I melt cheese on mine and put ketchup on it :))
  • OlleOlle Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    Never had a corndog. Are they a thing outside of the States at all?
    Stuff I make: webcomic (weekly); biology vlogs (every few months); tumblr posts (apparently)
  • EverydayCaitEverydayCait Posts: 95 ✭✭
    @Olle I know in Canada they are only available under the brand name "Pogos", and are sometimes difficult to find, which makes me think that they're generally hard to get outside of the US.
  • SANTA_ATE_CHICAGOSANTA_ATE_CHICAGO PennsylvaniaPosts: 2,637 ✭✭✭
    I eat mine in my mind, due to an environment that is severely lacking in corndogs.
    When is a door not a door? When someone steals the hinges.
  • RaeRae Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭
    the first time i had one was this summer when i was at camp at harvard, and the cafeteria had them! which is funny, cuz i expected harvard food to be very, like, sophisticated, but it was mostly corndogs and mac and cheese and chicken nuggets and tater tots :P that said, i wasnt the biggest fan of my corndog, but i ate it with ketchup. too sweet for my tastes.
  • drdestructo111drdestructo111 Posts: 1
    I don't think the idea of 'I have it here therefor it must be universal' is just in the US.

Do a quick search for corndog recipes. Hotdogs, Cornmeal, Flour, and other stuff.

Anyway, for corndogs don't think sausage (other than in-the-shape-of-a-sausage), think pre-cooked pureed meat in a tube. In the US, we have beef dogs, chicken dogs, turkey dogs, soy dogs, all-filler-and-no-meat dogs, and more. Eat what you like.

If you are outside of the US, your local cornmeal may not be the best. I recommend you buy a bag of US cornmeal once, I repeat, once, and compare it to your local meal; or a box of 'Jiffy' Corn Muffin mix off the internet.

Your local white flour that you use for regular recipes and baking should work fine.

The stick out the bottom of the Hotdog is more about heat-and-eat and portability than anything else. If you eat it from a plate with knife and fork, then so be it; ignore the stick. If you like portable food, use a bamboo skewer, or two, or five. Corndogs were originally a carnival food; that is, a walking around food, so...

The breakfast version is somewhat different. In the US, hotdogs are precooked at the factory, so can be eaten right out of the package. The breakfast version uses your favorite breakfast sausage, that YOU have to cook.

Make a pancake batter. US batter isn't better, but make a generic US pancake batter the first time to get a gauge on batter thickness and perhaps taste. Deep fry to cook the pancake and warm the sausage. Eat plain or with a syrup of your choice, or with jam, or topped with powdered sugar.